• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dualsense lasts 10-12 hours

I could probably replace the battery in the DS4 as quickly as I would be fiddling with a couple of eneloops on an XBONE controller....

Loose controllers inside your controller, controllers not touching the contact points, covers of the battery compartment falling off, batteries falling off are all real issues. Besides, putting batteries in things seems so much like we are still in the VCR era. Sony could always go for a huge 4000 mAh battery like I have in my phone, but it's always a balancing act, and cost would be an issue in that scenario.

The other thing and most important bit is this. Controller features, yes they do drain battery life, but the features overcomes having more battery life at the cost of such features.....DS4: only controller to have a trackpad, led for visual imagery/cues and for VR, it is also a motion controller, it debuted with an audio jack and speaker, whilst the other controllers never offered these features. I'd take these features over a basic controller with 40 hours of battery life anyday, where I have to swap eneloops, make sure sure my investment in eneloops and AA chargers are sustained and that the batteries are always charged when I need them. Usually people forget to charge AA batteries because it's lasts 40 hours right? So they still run into having to charge anyway.

I game for a session, I charge, but let's be clear. Which enthusiast or even casual gamer who always talks about gaming with friends and family only have 1 controller? You buy a console and throughout it's lifespan, you only have one controller?
That's crazy fast charging. After an intense gaming session you can just take a short break and continue to game for many more hours.

I think this is why Sony chose to put so many features in the controller since it won't be an issue for most people.

Pretty much all what they said. I'll take 10-12 hour battery if it means a game can fully utilize haptic feedback and adaptive triggers for those hours.

Wizz-Art

You are right that making the controller emits more greenhouse gas than making a battery, but I've seen more than one person assuming I'd buy a new one? Is this general practice??

As soon as I have battery problems I take them to an official rep and have the battery REPLACED, I don't buy a new controller!
Sure that's when you have an official rep in your neighbourhood. Many unfortunately don't and if they want to continue wireless gaming they will be forced to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with DS4 battery.... I am more worried about the spongy pressing action of L1 R1, that sounds shit. Is it supposed to be pseudo analogue or what? (like the face buttons on DS2 - e.g. Metal Gear Solid aim gun with soft press)

Arkam

10-12 hours should be plenty (assuming Mic/speaker use does not severely impact). Even when I play open world adventure games "all day" I still am actually only playing in 3-4 hour chunks at most with hours in between. My DS4 seems to have just shy of a enough life. Just about always fine but playing FF7R I would forget to plug in between sessions and would have to plug in occasionally. But thats user error really. Will be curious to see if this has quick charging and how quick it actually is. If I can fully recharge in an hour then we are all good.

Serious question. Does DS4 have reduced latency when plugged in directly to the ps4? Or does it have the same latency as when it's wireless?

oldergamer

I cant believe people defending 8 to 12 hour batterlife on a recharge are also trying to complain about having the choice of using AA, or your own rechargeable, or just simply getting a cheap battery pack that lasts you 30 hrs? Am i seeing this right?

Imo 12 hours isnt good enough by todays standards. Ive played many games all day, specifically online, and if my controller dies in a battle and i die or lose due to it, then id be pretty mad about it.

Anyway if sony fans think its fine, that is their choice, but dont try to argue against the options on other consoles. Its those options that make the xbox controllers my fav

Imo 12 hours isnt good enough by todays standards. Ive played many games all day, specifically online, and if my controller dies in a battle and i die or lose due to it, then id be pretty mad about it.

Well only if you play 10-12 hours at once can I see it being a problem or if you just keep forgetting to charge it.

But for most people 10-12 hours is more than enough. Plus the controller has quick charging so you should get 80% after a 30 minute charge time.

With the DS4 I can see where 2-3 hours can be a problem with many people but 10-12 hours?

I don't think the DualSense's battery life will be a problem for most people.

Thankfully it has those nice features right?

Well only if you play 10-12 hours at once can I see it being a problem or if you just keep forgetting to charge it.

But for most people 10-12 hours is more than enough. Plus the controller has quick charging so you should get 80% after a 30 minute charge time.

With the DS4 I can see where 2-3 hours can be a problem with many people but 10-12 hours?

I don't think the DualSense's battery life will be a problem for most people.

Thankfully it has those nice features right?

Don't most USB C devices come with quick charge e.g., plug for 5 minutes and get 5 hours of usage. This battery thing is a nonissue. If you're gaming for 10+ hours straight, you need to get a life and go outside.

Don't most USB C devices come with quick charge e.g., plug for 5 minutes and get 5 hours of usage. This battery thing is a nonissue. If you're gaming for 10+ hours straight, you need to get a life and go outside.

Correct the controller charges really quickly. I'm still struggling to see how people will have an issue with this unless they game for more than 10 hours a day or they forget to charge their controller.

If it was 2-3 hours I can see an issue but 10-12 hours with really fast charging?

Saber

Gold Member
I cant believe people defending 8 to 12 hour batterlife on a recharge are also trying to complain about having the choice of using AA, or your own rechargeable, or just simply getting a cheap battery pack that lasts you 30 hrs? Am i seeing this right?

Anyway if sony fans think its fine, that is their choice, but dont try to argue against the options on other consoles. Its those options that make the xbox controllers my fav

Lol if you force the controller battery that bad is because you're pretty damn lazy. Even my DS4 warns me when the battery is low, so losing because of "dead battery" is a very lazy excuse.

Also, you don't need to be a Sony fan to like 12 hours worth of battery. Thats straight up war bait type of comment.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What? This analogy makes no sense. I have one phone and when I was looking at new phones I bought one that will last me through my day without needing a top up - I got one that suits my use habits, nothing more, nothing less.

As I mentioned above, if the rumoured battery life is true, this controller suits my use habits. Hence I don't care what "alternatives" might exist, I'm happy with the product as it is.
Makes perfect sense. If your competitors are able to get better results for the same money you are doing something wrong or deliberately try to get bigger margins on your product. But apparently you can't point that out...

TimFL

Yes of course I do realize that that is an option (as I said I'm not retarded), I don't need to though because they still have life in them. Does using the wire shut off the bluetooth transmission? I'm saying I would prefer it if controllers just had a hard wire again.
Using them wired also transmits the data wired afaik (they disconnect and have to reconnect once you plug in/out).

Was not meant to be a snarky comment, just saying there is a solution to you preferring wired controllers. No need to advocate for full/exclusive wired mode when there‘s a lot of use cases and/or people that prefer wireless.

jaysius

Banned
Hell my jank Brook Xone(goes into a Xbox one controller let’s you wirelessly connect it to PS4, pc, switch, with no real input lag) battery lasts for at least 20 hours, and that’s made by a 3rd party.

DS4 was flawed in so many ways, bad battery life, awful rubber on the sticks for many early batches, designed to put pressure on the USB port if you lay it flat while plugged in. It’s leaps and bounds above the rookie effort of the rumbleless six axis, but it gets way too much praise.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Using them wired also transmits the data wired afaik (they disconnect and have to reconnect once you plug in/out).

Was not meant to be a snarky comment, just saying there is a solution to you preferring wired controllers. No need to advocate for full/exclusive wired mode when there‘s a lot of use cases and/or people that prefer wireless.

Options would be cool, if they would sell a wired ones in addition to the wireless ones, with the wired versions being cheaper, I'd opt for those myself. But they probably wouldn't sell it substantially cheaper and most people probably laugh at the idea of a strictly wired controller now because they're used to just having wireless for everything now.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
"more comfortable than the xbox controller in their eyes"

LOL. Who the fuck wrote that and what does it even mean? Were they playing with xbox controllers embedded in their eyes, because yeah, that's gonna be uncomfortable. 😂😂😂

Tell you what bitbydeath, try not posting a crap quote that references xbox, then you may not get comments from xbox fans. But I'll just say what everyone else is gonna say. 10-12 hours is shit!
Jeez calm down cringyboy.
"in their eyes" = "in their opinion

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It takes me literally 2 seconds to plug in my charging cable after I turn off my PS4.
I also have a spare powerbank that I hook upto my controlle1r if its low on battery while I'm gaming.
I sit near 4 wall outlets so hooking up my phone charging plug to my dualshock 4 takes me less than a minute.

If you can sit and game for 8 hours non stop then you can spare a few seconds or a minute to do the above.

Seriously I dont get the outrage over all this from some of you.
but it takes 2 seconds to swap in new/recharged batteries too. And that allows for options, never connecting the controller and internal bettery never dying.
There are NO upsides to locked out internal

GHG

Gold Member
Makes perfect sense. If your competitors are able to get better results for the same money you are doing something wrong or deliberately try to get bigger margins on your product. But apparently you can't point that out...

Because the controllers are identical right?

Some of the "competitors" you speak of include a pair of disposable AA batteries with the controller and force you to buy an additional kit or your own batteries if you want a rechargable solution. So yes, let's please talk about margins.

Entroyp

I’m appalled by complaints of a controller lasting “only” 8 hours. How long are you guys sitting on your arses playing each day? 😳

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Because the controllers are identical right?

Some of the "competitors" you speak of include a pair of disposable AA batteries with the controller and force you to buy an additional kit or your own batteries if you want a rechargable solution. So yes, let's please talk about margins.
They are controllers. Sure I can imagine that the sensor to blow in your controller will also drain some extra energy, but not 20 hours.

Yes they include AA batteries, so you can decide yourself when to replace them. So if you want to buy yourself an official play and charge kit, or rechargeable batteries from Amazon, or more disposable batteries from the super market you can. So that after 5 years when the battery life is only 60% of what it used to be, you can replace them without screwing open your controller. It's not like you can only buy the play and charge kit from Microsoft...

bitbydeath

But you can just put a play and charge kit battery in the Xbox controller and now it’s a built in rechargeable battery like the dual sense? And then when the battery doesn’t hold enough charge for you, simply buy another and chuck it in without having to scour eBay for dodgy batteries and take the controller apart to replace it.

Like I said, best of both worlds.

That’s still a lot more effort than plugging in a cable or dock. Playstation controllers easily last all gen long before you have to go out and buy something extra or open it up.

10-12 hours... Why can't they put proper batteries in the controller or create something that doesn't drain it that quickly
They can be charged though, much rather have this than outdated AA's that you have to pay a further cost for rechargeables or a fortune to replace them after each individual use. No thanks.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

I do hope higher capacity batteries give the pads a longer recharge life.
But I've always had 2 pads, rotating on charge. So for me and others the same, still not a problem.

CrysisFreak

Banned
More battery life and more features than the predecessor.
That's the way it should be. Cannot wait to hold it in my hands.
12 hours is great for an ultra long session before sleeping (and charging).
Also playing with a cable for a while as it charges is no big deal.
Lots of concern trolling itc imho.

10 hours is fine for me. Some will have a second (or third) controller to use while one is charging.

Then is the charging station. I could charge my controller while I am not playing.

8m5AgHp.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom