• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dualsense lasts 10-12 hours

TheAssist

I never quite understood whats so hard to charge a controller. People charge their phones and these days even their freaking headphones every day, but plugin in a controller seems to break the camels back. But apparently I'm already lucky with my DS4 easily lusting between 10 and 15 hours depending on the amount of rumbling it has to do. The controller is 4,5 years old by now.

It already an improvement from the DS4 6-8 hours of battery life you guys have to realize that the touchpad and the light bar and the built in mic and speakers and also gyro sensor and haptic motors for triggers are gone to drain alot of the batteries there is just no way of getting around that with so much feature put into the controller something has to give and it the battery life you guys wanted all these feature in the controller guess what it need to drain alot of the battery quicker.

BlackM1st

Banned
Trash. I want my PS3 controller back ;( Who needs all this new shit? Mics, lights,
motion? The only new useful thing we had since ps3 is a screenshot button. That's it.

bitbydeath

I'm curious to know how they managed to improve the battery life in the DualSense since it has more features than the DS4.

Briefly mentioned in wired.

Its larger-capacity battery and haptics motors make the new controller a bit heavier than the DualShock 4

I never quite understood whats so hard to charge a controller. People charge their phones and these days even their freaking headphones every day, but plugin in a controller seems to break the camels back. But apparently I'm already lucky with my DS4 easily lusting between 10 and 15 hours depending on the amount of rumbling it has to do. The controller is 4,5 years old by now.

Sony fans on PC gaming: "I prefer the convenience of console gaming"

Sony fans on battery life: "What is convenience and why would anyone want that?

Sony fans on PC gaming: "I prefer the convenience of console gaming"

Sony fans on battery life: "What is convenience and why would anyone want that?

Well internal batteries are pretty convenient especially when they charge quickly. I can imagine that after my gaming session I'll just plug my USB C cable into my controller and in around 30 minutes my battery will be 80% charged. That's super convenient.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well internal batteries are pretty convenient especially when they charge quickly. I can imagine that after my gaming session I'll just plug my USB C cable into my controller and in around 30 minutes my battery will be 80% charged. That's super convenient.
Still less convenient than also having the option to put new batteries in it, which can also be rechargable, and keep playing straight away.

gamers: "give us options!"

microsoft: "here are options for how you keep your controller charged!"

gamers: "booo we don't want options!"

Last edited:

Entroyp

Instead of arguing about battery life I feel some people should reflect on why the hell are they sitting on their ass for longer than 8 hours straight.

Last edited:
Still less convenient than also having the option to put new batteries in it, which can also be rechargable, and keep playing straight away.

Sometimes you don't need those options if it's good enough for you. I know I don't.

Instead of arguing about battery life I feel some people should reflect on why the hell are they sitting on their ass for longer than 8 hours straight.

Not me that's for sure. Plus after I'm finished gaming I'll just do the most difficult thing in the world.

I'll just plug it in.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That sounds oddly short and good enough at the same time..

main-qimg-e4f6693a219dffcee954665da51717bb

giphy.gif
Its fucking hard work mate.

If you're not careful you could pull a muscle. I nearly did my ankle the last time i attempted charging my controller.

bitbydeath

The docks are worth buying IMO.
I bought two this gen, one to be near each PS4. Just slide it in and it charges while being put neatly away.

anothertech

One thing is forever certain:

Unless SeX controllers come with rechargeables standard, dualsense will forever be a better quality product.

Empty replaceable battery hulls like Xbox controllers just feel like cheap toys.

NullZ3r0

Banned

Unless SeX controllers come with rechargeables standard, dualsense will forever be a better quality product.

Empty replaceable battery hulls like Xbox controllers just feel like cheap toys.
You gotta be kidding me. It takes nothing to have a rotating set of Eneloops ready to go with no interruption in gaming. Internal batteries are trash.

Ceadeus

Hope you've been enjoying your cracking plastic DS4 controller that needs to be charged each 4 hour with its tiny 2 feet cable

Last edited:
Hope you've been enjoying your cracking plastic DS4 controller that need to be charged each 4 hour with its tiny 2 feet cable

This leak is about the DualSense not the DS4. As for the quality of the plastic and the length of the USB C cable I have no idea what it's going to be like.

Let's wait until the Xbox Series X controllers come out first before coming to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

The docks are worth buying IMO.
I bought two this gen, one to be near each PS4. Just slide it in and it charges while being put neatly away.

Definitely is, had the dock since it was released and never had an issue with battery draining in the middle of the game because it warns you when it's about to, you just take out the
controller in the dock and charge the one you are using.

The thing lasts half a day and people are whining? If 12hrs is too short for you it might be time to look at diversifying hobbies or something.

vdopey

AA batteries and having to recharge them and all of the rest of that hassle is just ugly, I cant believe there are 8 pages of Xbox fans defending this nonsense.

What do you people do with your controllers after playing ? Do you just leave them lying around to get damaged ? Surely you must put them away - why not put them into a dock so that its stored safely and recharges at the same time, no need to fiddle with AA batteries or the charger or the rest of that nonsense. If you just leave them lying around, your probably breaking them on a regular basis. No wonder the white colour and staining is such an issue with some people here, it just sounds like some of you don't take care of your stuff at all.

Phone have LiON batteries, do you guys not have phones ? What about PC wireless keyboards and Mice all of the high end stuff uses Lion rechargeable batteries. Tablets ? Laptops ? Beep Me the standard charging method is now USB-C and not AA, I'm sorry is this the 1990s ? Need more battery capacity, guess what that has been sorted out years ago, get one of these:

6107rOJ2pKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

Or If you want super long play time in 1 sitting, this:
ravpower_series_c_portable_charger_1-700x467-c.jpg
27,000 mAh, probably enough juice to keep the controller charged for 3 months.

I mean I haven't seen anything as stupid as this being labelled as a negative in a long time, who the beep thinks AA batteries is a good idea ? Shit MS Elite 2 Controller also uses Lion batteries:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/05/t...er-series-2-is-a-truly-great-game-controller/

I mean the Elite Controller MS sells for the xbox uses Lion batteries, yet for their standard pack in controller they include a pair of shitty AA batteries and you guys are trying to say this is better ?

If the ps5 controller also has fast charge, then it just blows shitty AA batteries away, I haven't seen or read such moronic arguments in a very long time.

Keihart

honestly, it's easier and cheaper to just have the rechargeable battery, you can either just use the usb cable and keep playing either connecting it to the console or a battery if you one.
Batteries tho? that's a whole other investment and you would need to have to sets at least.

Also, if you charge it every time you don't play, shouldn't be an issue and just requires you plunging in that cable, way less steps than charging batteries.

MrFunSocks

Banned
honestly, it's easier and cheaper to just have the rechargeable battery, you can either just use the usb cable and keep playing either connecting it to the console or a battery if you one.
Batteries tho? that's a whole other investment and you would need to have to sets at least.

Also, if you charge it every time you don't play, shouldn't be an issue and just requires you plunging in that cable, way less steps than charging batteries.
Rechargeable AA batteries have been a thing for *decades*. They're not expensive or foreign tech. I have about 20 AA ones floating around at any given time. Pretty much every single remote and device that takes batteries in my house has them or rechargeable AAAs. If my controller went dead on my XB1 I can literally replace the batteries in 10 seconds and I've got another 30 hours of play in my hands straight away.

Charging every time you don't play is bad as it reduces the battery life of the controller, same way it does for phones. In 5 years time it's great knowing that my XB1 elite controller will still work and still get me 30 hours of battery life. By the end of the PS3 and 360 generation my PS3 controllers held charge for about 3 hours max.

There is literally no situation in where being restricted to an inbuilt rechargeable battery is better here.

NeoLed

Rechargeable AA batteries have been a thing for *decades*. They're not expensive or foreign tech. I have about 20 AA ones floating around at any given time. Pretty much every single remote and device that takes batteries in my house has them or rechargeable AAAs. If my controller went dead on my XB1 I can literally replace the batteries in 10 seconds and I've got another 30 hours of play in my hands straight away.

Charging every time you don't play is bad as it reduces the battery life of the controller, same way it does for phones. In 5 years time it's great knowing that my XB1 elite controller will still work and still get me 30 hours of battery life. By the end of the PS3 and 360 generation my PS3 controllers held charge for about 3 hours max.

There is literally no situation in where being restricted to an inbuilt rechargeable battery is better here.
I don't have the habit of stocking AA battery tho, it doesn't suit me.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't have the habit of stocking AA battery tho, it doesn't suit me.
So since you have no problem playing with your PS controller connected and charging, just do that with the xbox and there's no difference :)

Or just pay like $15 once and get the official rechargable battery for the xbox controller and now it's the same as your PS controller, only when the battery doesn't hold charge you just pay another $15 to get a new one instead of buying some dodgy chinese replacement battery off the internet. win win.

Keihart

Recharging the controller every time you play doesn't damage the battery, you damage it by charging a mostly full battery or using a dumb charger, meaning a charger that tries to force higher amps and doesn't shut down once the device it's charged.

It's the xbox controller 15 dollars cheaper than the PS one?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Recharging the controller every time you play doesn't damage the battery, you damage it by charging a mostly full battery or using a dumb charger, meaning a charger that tries to force higher amps and doesn't shut down once the device it's charged.

It's the xbox controller 15 dollars cheaper than the PS one?
Yes it does. Simply recharging any battery damages it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm saying they are cutting corners to get bigger margins on it and make a bigger profit. DS4 doesn't last fine...

Compare them to the controllers of their competitors and then you see it's shit.
  • Swith Pro - 40 hours
  • Xbox Elite 2 - 40 hours
  • Xbox One - 30 hours
Is that with play and charge kit or are you comparing Dual Sense to an Xbox controller with changeable batteries here?

Last edited:

Keihart

Yes it does. Simply recharging any battery damages it.
You don't damage a battery by simply using it, it's also not meant to be used infinite times.
If you mean that by using it you are using part of it's life time in the process, well, yeah..of course you do...everything it's damaged when used in that sense, even the fucking keyboard i'm typing this has switches rated for a maximum amount of presses and guaranteed a minimum. Damaging it would be banging it against my head after reading your pretension of ignoring common sense of the word damage in this context.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You don't damage a battery by simply using it, it's also not meant to be used infinite times.
If you mean that by using it you are using part of it's life time in the process, well, yeah..of course you do...everything it's damaged when used in that sense, even the fucking keyboard i'm typing this has switches rated for a maximum amount of presses and guaranteed a minimum. Damaging it would be banging it against my head after reading your pretension of ignoring common sense of the word damage in this context.
Charging a battery literally damages it and reduces its lifetime. This is not controversial nor new news. The more you charge a battery the less it will last.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Is that with play and charge kit or are you comparing Dual Sense to an Xbox controller with changeable batteries here?
Play & Charge kit. With batteries you can even go much higher.

Keihart

Charging a battery literally damages it and reduces its lifetime. This is not controversial nor new news. The more you charge a battery the less it will last.
If you don't use a lithium battery it will last even less. Do you even know how they work?

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you don't use a lithium battery it will last even less. Do you even know how they work?
lol yes i know how batteries work. A battery that you have to charge less often will last longer than one you have to charge more often. A rechargeable battery that you can swap out yourself in 10 seconds is better than one that you can't.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Batteries 🙄
rs_500x250-150101075429-8elijahwood.gif

Nonetheless I've never really had a problem with the DS4 battery life, even with long gaming sessions and I always dock my controller afterwards so it's always charged.
Ironically the first time I played on an Xbox the batteries was dead
"But you can just put new ones in"
That is true, but being batteries that other devices and Toys use mean there is a high possibility that the wife/girlfriend has nabbed them first for the TV remote or the kids toy
That is the real life reality of batteries!😂

vdopey

Battery banks are a thing as well, trying to say rechargeable AA batteries is better than having an onboard rechargeable LiON battery is a joke, use a battery bank with your controller if you are completely forgetful, there are even wall sockets available with built-in usb chargers, most of my wall sockets also have in-built usb chargers, so I can charge in the kitchen, in the living room anywhere around the house without an adaptor. I mean usb charging is the norm, so much so the elite2 also uses the exact same strategy and bundled batteries with a controller is a helluva lot cheaper than an onboard LiON battery. AA batteries for a controller in 2020 is weak sauce.

Thats ok for a battery life in my opinion. It's rare at least for me to ever play past 4 hours in one time. I only charge my x1 controller once every 2 weeks with a steady play every day. my ps4 controller man that life sucks so this new battery life for it sounds just right. Sony waists so much on this controller for features that will be barley used outside of launch

Top Bottom