• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dualsense lasts 10-12 hours

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Because it is not an issue.
It is the only reason Xbox Series X is even up for consideration over PS5 for me and a major reason I preferred the Xbox One over PS4. It is extremely uncomfortable to play with the left stick in that position, especially with the kinds of games I like the most (3D platformers), which require precise control on the left stick. I have played through a lot of games on PS1-4 and I always feel very uncomfortable playing with the Dual Shock to the point that I sometimes have pain in my left thumb for days after a play session. It is a major issue, if not the major issue I have with PlayStation consoles (and of course the same holds for the Wii Classic Controller, which is why I never used it for a 3D game).

How come the battery time is so low on Dual Sense? Is it because of the adaptive triggers? Xbox One controller and Sixaxis last 30, Switch Pro Controller 40 and Wii U Pro Controller 80, so 12 sounds... pretty poor? Of course 12 hours are much more than a typical play session, but I do not understand why it is so low.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is the only reason Xbox Series X is even up for consideration over PS5 for me and a major reason I preferred the Xbox One over PS4. It is extremely uncomfortable to play with the left stick in that position, especially with the kinds of games I like the most (3D platformers), which require precise control on the left stick. I have played through a lot of games on PS1-4 and I always feel very uncomfortable playing with the Dual Shock to the point that I sometimes have pain in my left thumb for days after a play session. It is a major issue, if not the major issue I have with PlayStation consoles (and of course the same holds for the Wii Classic Controller, which is why I never used it for a 3D game).

How come the battery time is so low on Dual Sense? Is it because of the adaptive triggers? Xbox One controller and Sixaxis last 30, Switch Pro Controller 40 and Wii U Pro Controller 80, so 12 sounds... pretty poor? Of course 12 hours are much more than a typical play session, but I do not understand why it is so low.

It being an issue for you vs the asymmetric debate (personally I really liked the Wii U setup) does not make it a general Issue with the capital I. That is where the difference lies, both statements can be true.

Battery wise the touchpad is a bit drains, proper strong haptic feedback (the heavier the controller the more energy it takes to render the same effect or you get a weaker effect, see Switch Pro Controller and its reduced vibration on top of spongy buttons and a busted DPad) takes more energy than regular vibration, the new programmable resistance feedback triggers take energy, and yes so do the speaker and a bit the light bar does too.

I think the tradeoffs of controller features vs battery life is worth it and the battery life is not as atrociously bad as people make it seem (hold a DS3 again to fee the difference). The controller is your only physical connection to the game world, like tires for a car, prefer it of great quality and “features“ to help me stay connected to the game world better and better in more varied ways than a few extra hours of battery life (we are talking about 10-12+ hours not 45 minutes).

Last edited:

TheAssist

Sony fans on PC gaming: "I prefer the convenience of console gaming"

Sony fans on battery life: "What is convenience and why would anyone want that?

I am a PC gamer first and Console player second. I use my DS4 on my PC though.
I dont think console gaming is more convenient at all, for me it has more draw backs compared to PC gaming. But I do like Sony's exclusives and their controller. But to each their own.

I just think that controller charging (and I only have one) is sort of a non issue. Sure if your battery only lasts 4 hours that sucks. But 10 and more hours is just fine, since most people will never play more than that in a day. It takes 10 seconds and if that gives me features other controller dont have and I like those features than thats good enough for me. Though to be fair the DS4 just has a poor battery life without any extra features. But its not bad enough to be an actual problem that makes me enjoy it or the PS4 less.

turtlepowa

Banned
It being an issue for you vs the asymmetric debate (personally I really liked the Wii U setup) does not make it a general Issue with the capital I. That is where the difference lies, both statements can be true.
Put your left hand completely relaxed on the XB controller. Your thumb will touch the left stick which is used like 95% of the time in most games. It's just more comfortable than bending it all the time. But in the end it it's a matter of habit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Put your left hand completely relaxed on the XB controller. Your thumb will touch the left stick which is used like 95% of the time in most games. It's just more comfortable than bending it all the time. But in the end it it's a matter of habit.

Does your right thumb hurt and make you scream for the Wii U controller setup (in FPS’s and TPS’s you use the camera stick quite a bit ;))? Nope, again personal issue for some vs general issue.

vdopey

Obviously you must have some serious issues with your hand, if you have pain for days after a session, this is not something most people have an issue with. In fact having symmetric placing of the thumbsticks to match the symmetric locations of our thumbs on our hands makes more sense.

If you do suffer from some sort of issue with your hands, which is entirely possible, there are aftermarket controllers that do have the asymmetric layouts for the ps4 and I am sure these same controllers will exist for the ps5, there is even this: which allows you to configure the modules any way you want, or this: and a tonne of other aftermarket controllers with varying different fixed layouts.

Choice is a wonderful thing.

To harp on about battery charge, there is also this:

81tn%2BBuXb%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For the dualshock 4 - 1000maH addon battery for the dualshock 4 or this:
81NtbdWr6hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If your willing to open up the dualshock 4 (At least double the capacity of the original battery)

I haven't had any issues with the DS4 battery capacity - but when the battery does start to hold less charge there are plenty of options, again Options are wonderful thing, double A (AA) batteries in 2020 not so much :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Does your right thumb hurt and make you scream for the Wii U controller setup (in FPS’s and TPS’s you use the camera stick quite a bit ;))? Nope, again personal issue for some vs general issue.
Never had a Wii U, but the right side of the controller is used much more diversified.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Never had a Wii U, but the right side of the controller is used much more diversified.

Not that much in those genres... it is ok to feel as you feel, just the constant “it is an issue for me so it must be for everyone” is very modern yet still not any truer.

You missed out on an actually good setup Wii U layout wise.

turtlepowa

Banned
Not that much in those genres... it is ok to feel as you feel, just the constant “it is an issue for me so it must be for everyone” is very modern yet still not any truer.

You missed out on an actually good setup Wii U layout wise.
I never said it has to be an issue for everybody. I just tried to explain that from a neutral (and maybe even medical) point of view the position of the left stick is more comfortable and relaxing on a Xbox controller for most games (except fighting games for example). I believe everybody saying they prefer the DS. It's a matter of habit and maybe taste.

Nintendo fucked up the marketing, missed the Wii U completely, thought it was just an upgrade model.

Yoshi

In fact having symmetric placing of the thumbsticks to match the symmetric locations of our thumbs on our hands makes more sense.
This argument makes no sense. Yes, my hands are symmetrical, and for both thumbs, the upper position is preferable. Therefor it is good when the primary input on the left side - the left stick - is in the upper position and the primary input on the right side - the face buttons - are in the upper position. The Dual Shock set up makes sense for games that use dpad and face buttons as primary input and the Wii U Pro Controller makes sense for games that use both sticks as primary input, but for non-shooter 3d games, the Xbox / Switch Pro Controller set up makes the most sense.

ZywyPL

Banned
Imagine hoping the next iPhone is powered by interchangeable AA’s.

And vice versa - imagine having to charge the TV remote controller on a daily basis... To each their own. but bottom line is, after 7 years of people's complains (12 if we count DS3), one would've thought Sony will listen and improve, but after such a long time I guess nor Sony nor their fans care anymore 🤷‍♂️

vdopey

This argument makes no sense. Yes, my hands are symmetrical, and for both thumbs, the upper position is preferable. Therefor it is good when the primary input on the left side - the left stick - is in the upper position and the primary input on the right side - the face buttons - are in the upper position. The Dual Shock set up makes sense for games that use dpad and face buttons as primary input and the Wii U Pro Controller makes sense for games that use both sticks as primary input, but for non-shooter 3d games, the Xbox / Switch Pro Controller set up makes the most sense.

110 Million players on the ps4, I would say at least 100 Million would disagree with you, but each to their own. As I showed you above there are aftermarket controllers for people like yourself that like the asymmetric layout, or like to play around with the layout. Choice is a wonderful thing, I personally prefer the symmetric layout it works well for me and I'm glad the DS5 is symmetric.

And vice versa - imagine having to charge the TV remote controller on a daily basis... To each their own. but bottom line is, after 7 years of people's complains (12 if we count DS3), one would've thought Sony will listen and improve, but after such a long time I guess nor Sony nor their fans care anymore 

Why would you need to charge the tv remote on a daily basis if it used an inbuilt Lion battery ? An Infrared led and a button press consumes hardly any energy having a Lion battery in that would actually be lovely. In fact I would love for my tv remote to have magnetic wireless charging attach the remote to the side of the tv and it gets charged and I can always have it neatly stored away, that would be awesome.

GHG

Gold Member
And vice versa - imagine having to charge the TV remote controller on a daily basis... To each their own. but bottom line is, after 7 years of people's complains (12 if we count DS3), one would've thought Sony will listen and improve, but after such a long time I guess nor Sony nor their fans care anymore 🤷‍♂️

Here's the thing:
  • The controller is rechargeable out of the box
  • The charge it holds is more than long enough for a single play session
  • You never have to swap batteries in and out of the controller
  • Recharging it is as simple as plugging it in
So where is the problem exactly?

Meanwhile this thread is full of:
  • People stanning for 3rd party AA rechargeable batteries made by Panasonic as if they are somehow bestowed upon them by Microsoft. Those batteries are an added purchase along with the dock required to charge them.
  • People stanning for a controller that isn't rechargeable out of the box and comes with disposable AA batteries.
  • People stanning for a controller that requires a "play and charge" kit at additional cost if you don't want to have to physically swap batteries out and want an experience akin to the one that is standard with the controller this topic is about.
So don't talk about people "not caring", there's levels to this. Stay in your lane and ask Microsoft for a controller that is at least on par with the competition out of the box, then we can all sit down and have a conversation about how they compare.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I'm rotating between 3 DS4's that have nearly dead batteries, each one lasts me the few hours I'll be playing for a sesh and then I plug it in when I'm done and use another one the next time. Controller battery life is an absolute non-issue for me. I'd honestly prefer it if they went back to wired controllers so I didn't have a bluetooth transmitter on top of my balls every time I play a game. But I want to run around and do cartwheels while I play videogames, wireless is progress! Could not care less. Like when I think of what the benefits are of wireless controllers, the main one is "you don't trip over the wire", I'm not a retard and wired stuff works fine for me, doesn't require charging and you can use a wired controller forever if you don't break it.
I do not know how it works with Dual Shock 4, but you can turn Xbox One into a wired controller (no wireless transmission!) by just plugging it in via USB.
110 Million players on the ps4, I would say at least 100 Million would disagree with you, but each to their own.
I would claim most have not even put much thought into it, but it is pretty clear that the neutral position for the left thumb is where the dpad on the PS4 controller is. As a consequence, you will have to move your thumb pretty far off the neutral position to hit the lower right quadrant of the left stick. Even if you do not feel any discomfort, that is not good for precision. If the lower position was preferrable, then the original PlayStation controller would have had the dpad in that position.

Shmunter

Actually I put my Harmony on the charger when not using. And the Apple TV remote has battery like an iPhone. Longer battery life, yes. AA batteries being the ultimate solution, no.

That’s all there is to it from my angle.

If Sony released their latest controller with AA batteries, people would laugh pretty hard, then revolt against the downgrade.

Last edited:

vdopey

Actually I put my Harmony on the charger when not using. And the Apple TV remote has battery like an iPhone. Longer battery life, yes. AA batteries being the ultimate solution, no.

That’s all there is to it from my angle.

If Sony released their latest controller with AA batteries, people would laugh pretty hard, then revolt against the downgrade.

What do you think of the Harmony (sorry off-topic I know) I've got the ultimate, never set it up properly, its sitting on the tabletop in its cradle but I have never actually tried to set it up, the screen didn't impress me at all when I turned it on initially.

Shmunter

What do you think of the Harmony (sorry off-topic I know) I've got the ultimate, never set it up properly, its sitting on the tabletop in its cradle but I have never actually tried to set it up, the screen didn't impress me at all when I turned it on initially.
I have Harmony One, was invaluable till I got an AppleTV, it with hdmicec has pretty much eliminated my use of any other remote bar the occasional need for menus settings etc.

ZywyPL

Banned
Here's the thing:

Meanwhile this thread is full of:
  • People stanning for 3rd party AA rechargeable batteries made by Panasonic as if they are somehow bestowed upon them by Microsoft. Those batteries are an added purchase along with the dock required to charge them.
  • People stanning for a controller that isn't rechargeable out of the box and comes with disposable AA batteries.
  • People stanning for a controller that requires a "play and charge" kit at additional cost if you don't want to have to physically swap batteries out and want an experience akin to the one that is standard with the controller this topic is about.
So don't talk about people "not caring", there's levels to this. Stay in your lane and ask Microsoft for a controller that is at least on par with the competition out of the box, then we can all sit down and have a conversation about how they compare.

And both solutions are bad in my eyes, I'm on the same boat as Shmunter Shmunter , internal rechargeable battery is the way to go, but it has to last long and charge fast. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled because of all the smartphones with 4000mAh+ batteries with quick charge technologies I had throughout the years, but I just cannot go back anymore to charging anything every single day, which then takes so damn long. It's 2020, remote gadgets should last long and charge fast, there's no reason they shouldn't other than manufacturer cheaping out.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the thing:
Multiple problems.
1. You can never forget to put it in the charger
2. If you do forget and you don't have any power left, you now have to stop gaming or sit at 1m of your screen because they didn't even give you a proper cable.
3. Over time the battery life will go down, which will result in even less charge.
4. You can't replace that old battery with less charge because you can't swap it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And both solutions are bad in my eyes, I'm on the same boat as Shmunter Shmunter , internal rechargeable battery is the way to go, but it has to last long and charge fast. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled because of all the smartphones with 4000mAh+ batteries with quick charge technologies I had throughout the years, but I just cannot go back anymore to charging anything every single day, which then takes so damn long. It's 2020, remote gadgets should last long and charge fast, there's no reason they shouldn't other than manufacturer cheaping out.

Really fast charging + long battery life + light battery that does not deteriorate quickly losing peak charge... you make it sound like an easy problem (the solution is pretty much like removing/giving up on features as the alternative plus fairy dust).

If you had a good solution to the a nice you could become a trillionare in less than a year maybe (even a few months) mate, the demand for that and the lack of options is that severe.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Multiple problems.
2. If you do forget and you don't have any power left, you now have to stop gaming or sit at 1m of your screen because they didn't even give you a proper cable.
3. Over time the battery life will go down, which will result in even less charge.
4. You can't replace that old battery with less charge because you can't swap it out.

Mountains out of molehills - the thread... if this is the worst...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Do you actually play more than 10-12 hours in one sitting?
Battery life just isn't an issue for the majority of people. You seem to love shitting on every little detail about the PS5.

Are you a closet Sony fanboy...im getting them vibes.

So... Sony players being casual confirmed since they almost don't play for long?

Come on now... Don't defend this shit. The other manufacturers shows better battery life can be done, don't just accept this shit, that's why Sony can hold the tech back - because people just accepts their limitations.

Don't forget batteries gets worse with age. Somewhere down the line of the generation the controller can hold 1 hour or maybe less. But hey, just buy a new controller for 80 bucks.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Really fast charging + long battery life + light battery that does not deteriorate quickly losing peak charge... you make it sound like an easy problem (the solution is pretty much like removing/giving up on features as the alternative plus fairy dust).

If you had a good solution to the a nice you could become a trillionare in less than a year maybe even a fe months mate, the demand for that and the lack of options is that severe.

The solution is really that simple - bigger battery. It works so damn well on smartphones, why shouldn't it work in gaming controllers? The battery life depleting over time is indeed related to how often do you charge it, because they have a fixed number of charges they can take without making any damage, the more often you have to charge it the sooner it'll get worse and worse. And the other factor is how you charge it - it's a common knowledge to keep the battery charged between 20-80%, but if you have to leave the controllers to charge overnight it goes to 100% every single time, and continue to be charged until you unplug it, which you obviously won't do because you're sleeping, and that jusy fucks up the battery life really really fast. That's why being able to charge those 50-60% in just 20-30min. is so important, because you can fully control it. I'll repeat again - it works with smartphones/tablets/laptops and other modern remote devices, why do you think it wouldn't work with gaming controllers?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Mountains out of molehills - the thread... if this is the worst...
Well it's a controller, they are all very similar. It's definitely OK to point out the differences and why this is a bad thing. Just like the new stuff is also great, of which I hope Microsoft will also include it in the future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The solution is really that simple - bigger battery. It works so damn well on smartphones, why shouldn't it work in gaming controllers? The battery life depleting over time is indeed related to how often do you charge it, because they have a fixed number of charges they can take without making any damage, the more often you have to charge it the sooner it'll get worse and worse. And the other factor is how you charge it - it's a common knowledge to keep the battery charged between 20-80%, but if you have to leave the controllers to charge overnight it goes to 100% every single time, and continue to be charged until you unplug it, which you obviously won't do because you're sleeping, and that jusy fucks up the battery life really really fast. That's why being able to charge those 50-60% in just 20-30min. is so important, because you can fully control it. I'll repeat again - it works with smartphones/tablets/laptops and other modern remote devices, why do you think it wouldn't work with gaming controllers?

It works, but you are also asking them to be a lot heavier and expensive. You are making a hard problem sound simplistic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well it's a controller, they are all very similar. It's definitely OK to point out the differences and why this is a bad thing. Just like the new stuff is also great, of which I hope Microsoft will also include it in the future.

Sure, I noticed the amount of threads filled with outrage you have created over faults in the uber expensive Elite 1 controllers (vs noise when Sony improves their £49-59 controller... still molehills in numbers as few controllers had quality issues but they make noise given how expensive they are). It will not change people being hyped about PS5, its controllers, DS5 being an improvement to the well liked DS4 which itself was an improvement over the DS3.

Molehills does not mean those cannot be issues, just that some people are making mountains out of them and there is an overlap between this concern and the lack of preference of Sony HW... just saying ;).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So... Sony players being casual confirmed since they almost don't play for long?

Come on now... Don't defend this shit. The other manufacturers shows better battery life can be done, don't just accept this shit, that's why Sony can hold the tech back - because people just accepts their limitations.

Don't forget batteries gets worse with age. Somewhere down the line of the generation the controller can hold 1 hour or maybe less. But hey, just buy a new controller for 80 bucks.
Hold the tech back? That is laughable considering the evolution between DS4 and DS and the evolution of the X controller.

Cherry on top with average DS4 lasting an hour or less :rolleyes:...

ZywyPL

Banned
It works, but you are also asking them to be a lot heavier and expensive. You are making a hard problem sound simplistic.

How much heavier? Again - smartphones/tablets etc. to weight god knows how much if you add larger battery to them, now you're making it sound like it's huge problem.

Why internal battery? Are you really worried about waterproofing or a few extra millimeters of size on a controller? Seems like being able to easily hot swap or replace the battery would be well worth the tradeoff.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How much heavier? Again - smartphones/tablets etc. to weight god knows how much if you add larger battery to them, now you're making it sound like it's huge problem.

Considering phones and tablets are essentially giant batteries walking about with logic board taking a tiny strip of the whole piece and al other materials shaved down and chosen to be super light weight (increasing overall cost)... sure, easy peasy problem, I bet nobody is spending money researching new battery tech like crazy :rolleyes:.

ZywyPL

Banned
Why internal battery? Are you really worried about waterproofing or a few extra millimeters of size on a controller? Seems like being able to easily hot swap or replace the battery would be well worth the tradeoff.

Well the XB controller gives you multiple options tho - you can use standard/rechargeable AA batteries, or you can get the Play&Charge kit, so you basically get an internal rechargeable battery, which you can even replace in case its life get's shortened, so that way everyone can use whatever suits him the most, and THAT in my opinion is the best solution, to give people's choice.

Considering phones and tablets are essentially giant batteries walking about with logic board taking a tiny strip of the whole piece and al other materials shaved down and chosen to be super light weight (increasing overall cost)... sure, easy peasy problem, I bet nobody is spending money researching new battery tech like crazy :rolleyes:.

I really don't know what you're trying to prove/achive, but bottom line is, Sony fucked up yet again no matter how you slice it, if everyone else can make 30-40h lasting controllers, so can they.

vdopey

Multiple problems.

1. Are you telling me when you play, you play for 10 hours straight ? Here is the solution if you forget to charge your DS4 or DS5:
31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

2: Again simple solution:
31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

3 & 4: Will take around 5 - 6 years to hit this issue and has a simple solution, (by the time this becomes an Issue the PS6 will be releasing anyway) which is this:

Oh there we go all of your issues solved, does the DS5 support fast charge ? No confirmation yet - if it does even less of an issue.

Seriously give it up, take your antiquated shitty AA batteries and get the beep out of here with that crap.

Last edited:
1. Are you telling me when you play, you play for 10 hours straight ? Here is the solution if you forget to charge your DS4 or DS5:
31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

3 & 4: Will take around 5 years to hit this issue and simple solution:

Oh there we go all of your issues solved, does the DS5 support fast charge ? No confirmation yet - if it does even less of an issue.

Seriously give it up, take your antiquated shitty AA batteries and get the beep out of here with that crap.

What is antiquated about AA batteries exactly? Its just a size standard. In fact if you crack open that fancy powerbank you keep hawking you are just going to find some roided out AA looking batteries inside.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg

3 & 4: Will take around 5 - 6 years to hit this issue and has a simple solution, (by the time this becomes an Issue the PS6 will be releasing anyway) which is this:

Tone it down a notch or I'll just put you on ignore. There's no reason to get so triggered an aggressive.

To answer your proposals as solutions. I think it's laughable that Microsoft gets shit for replaceable AA batteries AND charge kits, and your solution is to buy an extension for the charge kit...

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It’s pretty ridiculous that we have to go to these lengths to overcome the shortcomings of Sony using proprietary, built in batteries instead of AA’s like every other controller.

Don't lie. Of all the controllers I have the outlier are the xbox controllers....

PS Dualshock 4 = Built in rechargeable battery
Switch Pro controller = Built in rechargeable battery
Stadia controller = Built in rechargeable battery
Nvidia Shield controller = Built in rechargeable battery
Xbox controller = AA batteries

vdopey

What is antiquated about AA batteries exactly? Its just a size standard. In fact if you crack open that fancy powerbank you keep hawking you are just going to find some roided out AA looking batteries inside.

Moving goal posts Lithium-Ion is currently the best rechargeable battery tech we have available. No its not a roided AA battery, your probably talking about the 18655 Battery that some of them contain, the form factor is not the point, the point is that its a portable USB charger and can be used to power/charge your phone, your laptop, your tablet and the PS4 / PS5 DS controller no need to fumble about with shitty NiMH rechargeable AA batteries old antiquated tech from 20 years ago.

vdopey

Tone it down a notch or I'll just put you on ignore. There's no reason to get so triggered an aggressive.

To answer your proposals as solutions. I think it's laughable that Microsoft gets shit for replaceable AA batteries AND charge kits, and your solution is to buy an extension for the charge kit...

Who got triggered or aggressive? I just provided a solution to all of your 9 pages of whining. A portable usb charger can not only charge the DS5, it can also charge your phone, your tablet even your laptop - good luck using AA batteries to do that.

You guys piled into a thread about the DS5 generated 9 pages so far criticising the DS5 for providing a built-in rechargeable battery, which uses an industry standard Lion battery and usb-c charging and then turn around and say

"I think it's laughable that Microsoft gets shit for replaceable AA batteries AND charge kits,"

This thread had nothing to do with the Xbox controller, but your right it is laughable that in 2020 they are releasing a controller using AA batteries, they don't even provide rechargeable AA batteries, they provide extremely wasteful single use AA batteries, no method to recharge it and want $25 or thereabouts for a play and charge kit, nickel and dimed much? Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

Here is another portable usb-charger :

BT05950-40.jpg

enough charge for you to play 60 hours straight and It even has a torch... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Who got triggered or aggressive? I just provided a solution to all of your 9 pages of whining. A portable usb charger can not only charge the DS5, it can also charge your phone, your tablet even your laptop - good luck using AA batteries to do that.

You guys piled into a thread about the DS5 generated 9 pages so far criticising the DS5 for providing a built-in rechargeable battery, which uses an industry standard Lion battery and usb-c charging and then turn around and say

This thread had nothing to do with the Xbox controller, but your right it is laughable that in 2020 they are releasing a controller using AA batteries, they don't even provide rechargeable AA batteries, they provide extremely wasteful single use AA batteries, no method to recharge it and want $25 or thereabouts for a play and charge kit, nickel and dimed much? Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

Here is another portable usb-charger :

BT05950-40.jpg

enough charge for you to play 60 hours straight and It even has a torch... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well you were the one that said Seriously give it up, take your antiquated shitty AA batteries and get the beep out of here with that crap. Which is pretty aggressive. Also you are the one that even mentioned batteries so therefor talking about the Xbox controller, I was merely responding to your post.

Moving goal posts Lithium-Ion is currently the best rechargeable battery tech we have available. No its not a roided AA battery, your probably talking about the 18655 Battery that some of them contain, the form factor is not the point, the point is that its a portable USB charger and can be used to power/charge your phone, your laptop, your tablet and the PS4 / PS5 DS controller no need to fumble about with shitty NiMH rechargeable AA batteries old antiquated tech from 20 years ago.

You can buy rechargeable AA lithium ion batteries you know? They are just more expensive and worse than eneloops so nobody does. And its kind of ironic because LSD NiMH batteries didn't exist 20 years ago.... unlike your "space age" lithium ion batteries that have been around for decades. Lithium Ion is the best battery tech we have available for devices that require very high voltages... you know things with like screens, microprocessors, electric vehicles etc. not registering button presses. When it comes to pressing buttons, you don't need much voltage, so LSD NiMH tend to be just as good and a heckuva lot cheaper than comparable lithium ion batteries. Also I fail to see how fumbling with a power bank is somehow better than fumbling with AA batteries. Especially because after you are done fumbling with a power bank, you still have to charge your freaking batteries.

Sethbacca

I'm gonna guess that everyone whining has no adult responsibilities and the rest of us are happy if we get an hour a day to dedicate to playing games hence why a 10-13 hours battery life is a non issue.

420bits

As someone who has a regular job and spend most of my free time gaming I've never had any problems with batteries and their lifespan being to short.

I've bought the PS3, Ps4 and Ps4 Pro on day 1. All of my ps4 controllers + my 2 spare ones that i bought with the original ps4 works just fine to game on for longer periods of time.

Do they last the 1500 hours gamesessions that you guys seem to have, no they don't.
But then again, they don't last 30min like some of you claim.

Do they last "a day"? yes they do, if that's 6 or 8 hours, I can't tell because never ever do I find myself in the position "OH SHIT, CONTROLLER IS WARNING FOR LOW BATT I HAVE 3SEC TO CHANGE IT BEFORE IT RUNS OUT!"
From the time it warns me that its low bat and the time it actually dies on me is enough time to replace it with another controller, or just charge the thing.

Some of you probably charge your phone more than 1 time per day and you whine on a controller with a 10+ hour lifespan on it.

IT SHOULD LAST 50 DAYS BECAUSE MY OLD TVREMOTE I PRESS THE ON BUTTON EVERY OTHER FULLMOON LASTS TWICE THAT!

vdopey

Well you were the one that said Seriously give it up, take your antiquated shitty AA batteries and get the beep out of here with that crap. Which is pretty aggressive. Also you are the one that even mentioned batteries so therefor talking about the Xbox controller, I was merely responding to your post.

That wasn't personal to you, that was to all saying AA batteries are the solution, but not to pick on you, but on page 1, you say:

10-12 hours... Why can't they put proper batteries in the controller or create something that doesn't drain it that quickly

9 pages later and we've discussed nothing else other than battery life and how great/shit AA batteries are, what I was hoping to find out was more about. the haptic triggers and everything else
Sorry if I hurt you, but I'm also tired of reading waffle and that comment was pretty tongue in cheek, say it in a new york Italian / Mafia accent (think GoodFellas / A bronx tale etc)

Last edited:

vdopey

This will be dissected below

its kind of ironic because LSD NiMH batteries didn't exist 20 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel–metal_hydride_battery

Work on NiMH batteries began at the Battelle-Geneva Research Center following the technology's invention in 1967... The first consumer-grade NiMH cells became commercially available in 1989

Ahemmm.....

heckuva lot cheaper than comparable lithium ion batteries

This is why the xbox controller doesn't ship with builtin Lion battery, its a cost saving measure nothing else, they include cheap shitty alkaline batteries ...

Lithium Ion is the best battery tech we have available for devices that require very high voltages... you know things with like screens, microprocessors, electric vehicles etc. not registering button presses.

Yeah no, that's not why Lion has taken over, I suggest you read up about NiMH and Lion, none of them are new tech, If Graphene batteries ever become a reality then yeah at last charging and energy storage will fundamentally change and become much safer.

Controllers do more than just register button presses as well there is the touchpad / haptic triggers / rumble motors / microphone / speaker etc etc that all consumes battery, furthermore USB Charging and Lion Batteries is the industry standard compatible with practically all phone / tablet / wall usb chargers. Finally:

Also I fail to see how fumbling with a power bank is somehow better than fumbling with AA batteries. Especially because after you are done fumbling with a power bank, you still have to charge your freaking batteries.

This doesn't even make sense, the power bank charges the battery.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Good games? Everbody knows Xbox has no games at all. Spent the time with tvtvtv and stuff.
My question is. who the hell needs' more than 12 hours on a controller? Who has 12-hour long sessions of gaming? Even if the rumors are true, that person needs to re-evaluate their life.

Last edited:

Entroyp

My question is. who the hell need more than 12 hours on a controller? Who has 12-hour long sessions of gaming? Even if the rumors are true, that person needs to re-evaluate their life.

Right? I understand bitching about a 4 hour battery life, but 8-12 hours not being enough? yikes

The hostility towards AA batteries here is so weird.

You don't like having the option of buying whatever batteries or packs you prefer without impacting the form factor of the controller?

You don't like being able to replace your batteries at any time at any point in the device's lifetime?

You don't like being able to choose higher capacity or better quality batteries?

You don't like using standard components that can be interchanged with a wide array of other devices in your home?

It isn't Xbox shilling to recognize their advantages. "But it's current year" isn't a great argument.

turtlepowa

Banned
My question is. who the hell need more than 12 hours on a controller? Who has 12-hour long sessions of gaming? Even if the rumors are true, that person needs to re-evaluate their life.
It's simply a question of comfort and that 10 hours is just poor for nearly 2021. I don't want to plug in the cable after each gaming session to avoid that i have to cancel a gaming session because of an empty controller. If The DS is empty i would need a 16 feed cable through my living room. No thanks. If the XB controller is empty and that takes weeks, i simply switch batteries within 20 seconds and done. It's no big deal, it just not up-to-date anymore and not customer friendly.

iHaunter

It's simply a question of comfort and that 10 hours is just poor for nearly 2021. I don't want to plug in the cable after each gaming session to avoid that i have to cancel a gaming session because of an empty controller. If The DS is empty i would need a 16 feed cable through my living room. No thanks. If the XB controller is empty and that takes weeks, i simply switch batteries within 20 seconds and done. It's no big deal, it just not up-to-date anymore and not customer friendly.

The solution is really simple though, I just get wireless chargers? Even on DS4 I never had to stop a session in 7 years to charge my controller. Just get a wireless charger, when you're done, put it on the dock. 12 hours is more than enough. I'd rather have a feature-rich controller than 35 hours of battery life. Hell, Sony is even releasing their own wireless charger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom