• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dualsense lasts 10-12 hours

vdopey

It's simply a question of comfort and that 10 hours is just poor for nearly 2021. I don't want to plug in the cable after each gaming session to avoid that i have to cancel a gaming session because of an empty controller. If The DS is empty i would need a 16 feed cable through my living room. No thanks. If the XB controller is empty and that takes weeks, i simply switch batteries within 20 seconds and done. It's no big deal, it just not up-to-date anymore and not customer friendly.

31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg
... These don't exist ?

CrysisFreak

Banned
It's simply a question of comfort and that 10 hours is just poor for nearly 2021. I don't want to plug in the cable after each gaming session to avoid that i have to cancel a gaming session because of an empty controller. If The DS is empty i would need a 16 feed cable through my living room. No thanks. If the XB controller is empty and that takes weeks, i simply switch batteries within 20 seconds and done. It's no big deal, it just not up-to-date anymore and not customer friendly.
How anyone can say AA batteries are "up-to-date" in 2020 while lithium ion batteries are not is beyond me.

turtlepowa

Banned
The solution is really simple though, I just get wireless chargers? Even on DS4 I never had to stop a session in 7 years to charge my controller. Just get a wireless charger, when you're done, put it on the dock. 12 hours is more than enough. I'd rather have a feature-rich controller than 35 hours of battery life. Hell, Sony is even releasing their own wireless charger.
That`s not bad, if not too expensive. i keep that in mind when i get my PS5. Thanks.

31rX%2BMTnkVL._AC_.jpg
... These don't exist ?
Great, then i got a cable AND a power bank on my lap or hanging around. iHaunter's solution is better.

How anyone can say AA batteries are "up-to-date" in 2020 while lithium ion batteries are not is beyond me.
I was talking about the battery/akku life, not the tech behind it.

TheContact

Sony could make this thing last 30 hours without a charge but the tradeoff is a bigger battery (heavier controller & less room for other tech).
I get not wanting to plug something in after each gaming session but it's just a part of life right now. 10 hours is still good. Most people aren't going to game for more than that in a single session. Might need to wait for next gen for longer controller battery life.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Nice, I'll take any battery improvement over the DS4. Bonus points if they can get anywhere close to the battery life of Nintendo's pro controllers.

oldergamer

I'm sure you'll be fine with PS4 controllers only working with PS4 games too?

8 - 12 hours ( which is probably peak ) is not good by todays gaming standards. not even close. I have my console in a entertainment center, I don't have any USB cables visible or would have one sitting there just to be used. I honestly don't understand how this is fine, but the same people complain that Xbox allows for multiple ways to power the controller.

scalman

you shouldnt play that long non stop anyway , and to charge it its no problem. i charge DS4 when i play it on PC with cable . simple solutions. think new one will work on pc as well with some software at least.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
10-12 hours is good news for anyone not into catheters and diapers as part of the gaming experience.

Experienced gamers already swapped controllers as required if batteries were an issue and lately, thanks to faster recharge times, one controller has almost been good enough.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Less bulky than DS4? I thought it was confirmed to be slightly bigger?

Would be happy for improved battery life but I'll wait until the system is actually out to judge that stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel–metal_hydride_battery

This is why the xbox controller doesn't ship with builtin Lion battery, its a cost saving measure nothing else, they include cheap shitty alkaline batteries ...

Yeah no, that's not why Lion has taken over, I suggest you read up about NiMH and Lion, none of them are new tech, If Graphene batteries ever become a reality then yeah at last charging and energy storage will fundamentally change and become much safer.

Controllers do more than just register button presses as well there is the touchpad / haptic triggers / rumble motors / microphone / speaker etc etc that all consumes battery, furthermore USB Charging and Lion Batteries is the industry standard compatible with practically all phone / tablet / wall usb chargers. Finally:

This doesn't even make sense, the power bank charges the battery.

Read your own link. "The low self-discharge nickel metal hydride battery (LSD NiMH) has a significantly lower rate of self-discharge. The innovation was introduced in 2005 by Sanyo, under their Eneloop brand. "

Whats the difference between a 14500 and a AA battery besides voltage? But fine, If you legitimately believe Li-ion batteries are magical, go buy some rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries. Thats the only reason they exist, for people like you. Congratulations, now all your AA devices are powered by magical future batteries... problem solved. That's the benefit of AA batteries, you have lots of options.

vdopey

Read your own link. "The low self-discharge nickel metal hydride battery (LSD NiMH) has a significantly lower rate of self-discharge. The innovation was introduced in 2005 by Sanyo, under their Eneloop brand. "

Whats the difference between a 14500 and a AA battery besides voltage? But fine, If you legitimately believe Li-ion batteries are magical, go buy some rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries. Thats the only reason they exist, for people like you. Congratulations, now all your AA devices are powered by magical future batteries... problem solved. That's the benefit of AA batteries, you have lots of options.

I think you misunderstand I do not like the AA form factor, it is antiquated shit. I much prefer usb charging, your missing the whole point, the form of the battery doesn't matter, being able to charge via usb and more specifically usb-c is what matters. All of my electronics charge via USB-c, from my headphones to my laptop and I would much rather prefer my controller to also charge via USB-c the current industry standard is Lion rechargeable batteries over USB-c, this is what I want from the controller, not some stupidly outdated tech bundled in as a cost saving measure.

I think you misunderstand I do not like the AA form factor, it is antiquated shit. I much prefer usb charging, your missing the whole point, the form of the battery doesn't matter

I will fully admit I am having a real hard time trying to understand the things you say.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think you misunderstand I do not like the AA form factor, it is antiquated shit. I much prefer usb charging, your missing the whole point, the form of the battery doesn't matter, being able to charge via usb and more specifically usb-c is what matters. All of my electronics charge via USB-c, from my headphones to my laptop and I would much rather prefer my controller to also charge via USB-c the current industry standard is Lion rechargeable batteries over USB-c, this is what I want from the controller, not some stupidly outdated tech bundled in as a cost saving measure.
wtf kind of argument is that?
Xbox one controller proved that You can have replacable AA batteries, long battery life and all of that without any bump on the back like 360 controller had. You can put rechargables or one use AA batteries in there and it lasts 30-40 hours on one charge. If microsoft wanted, they could be selling usb c charged battery pack which would stick in place of batteries as option. Everyone would be happy. Even weirdos who like to connect their wireless controller all the time and be happy with non replacable dying battery.
Cmon people. What is wrong with having more options? AA is not antiquated. It's large capacity, safe to use battery

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
wtf kind of argument is that?
Xbox one controller proved that You can have replacable AA batteries, long battery life and all of that without any bump on the back like 360 controller had. You can put rechargables or one use AA batteries in there and it lasts 30-40 hours on one charge. If microsoft wanted, they could be selling usb c charged battery pack which would stick in place of batteries as option. Everyone would be happy. Even weirdos who like to connect their wireless controller all the time and be happy with non replacable dying battery.
Cmon people. What is wrong with having more options? AA is not antiquated. It's large capacity, safe to use battery

Nothing wrong, but not having that option is also an option. Simpler controller as it does not need to be designed for both many AA batteries (as features of the controller increase... rechargeable AA tend to run at a lower voltage too) and a battery pack, no extra recurring cost for batteries or no extra cost for a rechargeable battery pack, and the fears of a controller dying on you because you charge it after 10-12 hours playing sessions are greatly exaggerated.

I personally do not like having to buy a rechargeable battery pack or managing AA (and making sure they do not start leaking after a while, happened on a Wii balance board controller). So there is my reason for preferring the Sony Dual Shock/DS approach of internal li-ion batteries.

I get you being upset, I get the same about physical movies vs the All Digital Streaming folks... the latter group often buys high quality TV’s and feeds them cheap bitrate streams... I hope we can

MrFunSocks

Banned
If microsoft wanted, they could be selling usb c charged battery pack which would stick in place of batteries as option. Everyone would be happy. Even weirdos who like to connect their wireless controller all the time and be happy with non replacable dying battery.
They already do, but these weird "please give me no options!" people can't see that:

Put that in your controller and it's now got all the benefits of a built in battery! Rejoice! Only you also get all the benefits of using user replaceable batteries and none of the drawbacks of having a built in battery!

Boooo yuck I don't want options I want Sony to tell me what's best!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They already do, but these weird "please give me no options!" people can't see that:

Put that in your controller and it's now got all the benefits of a built in battery! Rejoice! Only you also get all the benefits of using user replaceable batteries and none of the drawbacks of having a built in battery!

Nice! I thought it was just for 360.
Exactly what I've been thinking. You can use that controller however You need. AA, rechargable, cable charging with battery pack.

vdopey

Buy Xbox One Play and Charge Kit - Microsoft Store
Microsoft® Xbox One Play and Charge Kit Xbox One English,Brazilian,French,Spanish AOC 1 License
www.microsoft.com

Lets do the math shall we ?

I currently have 4 PS4 controllers, 1 was packed in with the console and the xbox 1 has a pack in controller as well, so we will ignore that cost.
To get all 4 ps4 controllers with usb charging, the total is as follows:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Playstation-4-DualShock-4-Controller-Black/28802345 $64.34 for a standard black ps4 controller lets say $65

so in total that would be 3 x 65 = $195

Now what about xbox 1 ?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Black/111779721 $68.98 lets round this down to $65 as well

so in total that would be 3 x 65 = $195 but then I need to get 4 x play and charge kits using your own link:
thats 4 x $25 = $100 so in total $295 (no bundled play and charge kit with the xbox 1 remember)

$195 vs $295

So the xbox solution is blatantly nickel and diming and you idiots are advocating this anti-consumer bullshit.

I'll take the built-in battery any day of the week over this blatant thievery.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I currently have 4 PS4 controllers, 1 was packed in with the console and the xbox 1 has a pack in controller as well, so we will ignore that cost.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Playstation-4-DualShock-4-Controller-Black/28802345 $64.34 for a standard black ps4 controller lets say $65

Now what about xbox 1 ?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Black/111779721 $68.98 lets round this down to $65 as well

so in total that would be 3 x 65 = $195 but then I need to get 4 x play and charge kits using your own link:
thats 4 x $25 = $100 so in total $295 (no bundled play and charge kit with the xbox 1 remember)

$195 vs $295

So the xbox solution is blatantly nickel and diming and you idiots are advocating this anti-consumer bullshit.

Oh My God. wtf

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hard hitting expose
I mean... he is charging 4 controllers at all times. He plays 4 controllers at the same time so it costs him 100$ for optional battery pack... which ... I ... I can't
I can't answer to that. There is no arguing with this. I am done. People want to eat this anti consumer shit with internal battery -- be my guest

MrFunSocks

Banned

Now what about xbox 1 ?

$195 vs $295

You playing with 4 controllers at once all the time?

there are also a massive number of third party rechargeable “built in” batteries, like this one that comes with a 2 controller charging dock + batteries for AUD$29

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I could probably replace the battery in the DS4 as quickly as I would be fiddling with a couple of eneloops on an XBONE controller....
I've always loved how so many grown adults (or at least they pretend to be grown adults despite partaking in fanboy warring) apparently have so much trouble using their hands and putting batteries in things. It's always "fiddling" or "fumbling" or "struggling" to put them in the controller. I'm imagining all their formal or business shirts, if they own any, having velcro with fake buttons because they'd be stuck putting those bad boys on for hours with all the button fumbling.

Aladin

I am buying an xbox. But isnt builtin lithium battery cheaper and convenient in the long run? It is quite obvious. They are trying to save few tens with chemical batteries.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I am buying an xbox. But isnt builtin lithium battery cheaper and convenient in the long run? It is quite obvious. They are trying to save few tens with chemical batteries.
Nope, far less convenient. My PS3 controllers hold charge for all of an hour or 2 at best. My 360 controllers can just take any of my eneloops and last 30+ hours. In 10 years time my 360 and Xbox one controllers can still have 30+ hours battery life with rechargeable batteries, but good luck finding a PS3 controller or PS4 controller that holds much charge.

Top Bottom