• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Gaikai will come to the PS3 with a FW update

OzPinoy

Banned
I don't see the point of this rumor coming true. Sony desperately need the PS4 to sell BIG TIME, why the feck would they give up one major advantage that PS4 CAN do that the PS3 can't. it really illogical in hindsight.

That would be cool to play PS4 demos on the PS3 through streaming. Great way for people to try it out. But at the same time it could also backfire.

how could it backfire?

it's essentially putting a PS4 demo station in every broadband-equipped PS3 household, and any quality or slowness issues could easily be chalked up to connection speed and the fact that it's streaming. same as a flash video on the internet.

That would be cool to play PS4 demos on the PS3 through streaming. Great way for people to try it out. But at the same time it could also backfire.

How could it backfire?

If Gaikai is really the big game changer and could make the Playstation 4 obsolete then Sony would just jump the platform and would use the 70m install base for the Gaikai service, although very unlikely because the PS3 only supports the slow 802.11b/g Wi-Fi standards.

chogidogs

I don't see the point of this rumor coming true. Sony desperately need the PS4 to sell BIG TIME, why the feck would they give up one major advantage that PS4 CAN do that the PS3 can't. it really illogical in hindsight.

This is not any bigger than the new GT or any of the last run PS3 exclusive coming out. Pretty good gesture for the fans if it's true though.

Audioboxer

Remember the rumour is Gaikai simply coming to the PS3, NOT PS4 games streaming. GAF jumped onto that conclusion....

Gaikai on the PS3 could simply be used to stream PS3 content. A way for people to instantly play games without the need to download.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony are probably projecting to sell another forty million PS3s over the next five years, they're far from done with supporting PS3.

angels.phillipe

Neo Member
how could it backfire?

it's essentially putting a PS4 demo station in every broadband-equipped PS3 household, and any quality or slowness issues could easily be chalked up to connection speed and the fact that it's streaming. same as a flash video on the internet.

Because people would think: ''If i can play PS4 demos on my PS3, why i can´t play full PS4 games?'' . And if i can play PS4 games on my PS3 there is no need to buy a PS4.

Because people would think: ''If i can play PS4 demos on my PS3, why i can´t play full PS4 games?'' . And if i can play PS4 games on my PS3 there is no need to buy a PS4.

Yeah, and?

Sony would instantly have an installbase of 70m consoles for next-gen games, if Gaikai turns into a big thing.
That would be even better for Sony.

StuBurns

Banned
Because people would think: ''If i can play PS4 demos on my PS3, why i can´t play full PS4 games?'' .
And who cares if they think that? They couldn't, so they either decide to never buy a PS4, or accept they can't play those games via PS3.

"Oh no, I'm not buying a PS4"
"Why not?"
"Because in June I played five minutes of InFamous over the internet"

That would never happen.

Lol no actually they are dedicated high bandwidth servers .
Probably looks like this:

warhawk-server-cluster.jpg

Remember the rumour is Gaikai simply coming to the PS3, NOT PS4 games streaming. GAF jumped onto that conclusion....

Gaikai on the PS3 could simply be used to stream PS3 content. A way for people to instantly play games without the need to download.

yeah i think we derailed when interceptor rustled some jimmies stating that those demos would somehow make people not buy PS4.

my thinking with each system is as follows:
PS3 gets to stream: PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3 games, and just demos of PS4 games.

PS4 gets to stream: all of the above plus PS3 PSN games. full PS4 games will remain download only but will utilize the feature that allows them to be played while downloaded, as well as unlocking a demo to the full version while you're playing and downloading it.

omonimo

Banned

Uh? You think ps4 will not sell because ps3 could be able to run ps4 demo via Gaikai? :/ I don't follow the logic of a lot of people here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
While the notion that having PS4 Gaikai demos on the PS3 is going to somehow kill the PS4 is pretty ridiculous I do understand some of the argument.

Sony is taking concepts that seemed next gen, things like the implementation of Gaikai and being able to play downloads while only partially completed and attaching it to the PS3 even if its in a rudimentary form, the fact that these ideas which were next gen suddenly now feel less next gen if you already have it on the old device.

Shayan

Banned
If you have slow internet, you will not be streaming anything.

True or not, I'd be expecting this to be for very limited areas. Will be interesting too see how viable it becomes.

I take back my words. Actually the article is implying that you could stream PS4 games on PS3...No that wont happen

So not only are they bringing the play while you download to ps3 with The Last of Us, but Gaikai is possibly coming as well? Jesus Sony that's like 2 of the 4 major features you announced at the PS Meeting.

omonimo

Banned
Also said the PS4 will be playable at Eurogamer Expo in September, and hinted strongly for a console release not long after. Potentially even October.
O Jeez, this is massive. So in europe at the worst in Christmas time? Oh God, oh God, please be true.

Mit-

Sounds made up. Reps do not typically know any more about their company than we do. A Nintendo rep once told me in 2007 that the black Wii was coming out soon, probably because he saw the Japanese ones. I then realized he was full of shit. We didn't see that thing for years, and Nintendo had been telling everyone we wouldn't due to the supply issues.

This sounds like something that Sony rep _thinks_ will happen. However that feature is a humongous selling point for PS4. I can't see them just giving it to PS3 owners. Why would they? It wouldn't be a very logical business decision.

DMB4237

Neo Member
This would be a great way to test out the infrastructure before the PS4 releases. Of course it would not replace the PS4 since its obvious the PS4 would be capable of much more. Just state that when people are done playing Gakai on their PS3. "If you think this is cool, wait until you see these features of new machine".

Nibel

The idea of playing PS4 E3 demos on PS3 via Gakai is the most perverted thing I've read today :lol

It's pretty exciting to see what Sony is going to do with their huge PS3 userbase

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I called it!

I said this would be a good idea when Sony bought Gaikai, it's a great way to incentivise current PS3 users to upgrade by offering PS4 playable content.

OzPinoy

Banned
Uh? You think ps4 will not sell because ps3 could be able to run ps4 demo via Gaikai? :/ I don't follow the logic of a lot of people here.

No i'm not thinking that way. Sony need a feature set that will set apart the PS4 from the PS3. Gaikai could be the next big thing with internet connectivity only going to get better with emerging market and Australia getting better internet.

DMB4237

Neo Member
No i'm not thinking that way. Sony need a feature set that will set apart the PS4 from the PS3. Gaikai could be the next big thing with internet connectivity only going to get better with emerging market and Australia getting better internet.

Yeah but we can all expect that Gaikai would be pretty limited on the PS3 on the basis that it's much weaker hardware.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yeah but we can all expect that Gaikai would be pretty limited on the PS3 on the basis that it's much weaker hardware.

I don't see how it will be a problem, it's just streaming end of the day, PS3 can handle that fine, that's the beauty of this type of service, it can be rolled out on pretty much any device, which I imagine Sony is eventually aiming to do.

spwolf

While the notion that having PS4 Gaikai demos on the PS3 is going to somehow kill the PS4 is pretty ridiculous I do understand some of the argument.

Sony is taking concepts that seemed next gen, things like the implementation of Gaikai and being able to play downloads while only partially completed and attaching it to the PS3 even if its in a rudimentary form, the fact that these ideas which were next gen suddenly now feel less next gen if you already have it on the old device.

they dont care... they want you to pay for the software... they lose money on the hardware.

if everyone decided Gaikai on PS3 is all they need, Sony would make more money than by selling PS4's.

Of course, it wont happen... but for people who cant pay $500 for PS4, Gaikai would be godsend. Heck, I would move my PS3 to the other room and stream games to it.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see how it will be a problem, it's just streaming end of the day, PS3 can handle that fine, that's the beauty of this type of service, it can be rolled out on pretty much any device, which I imagine Sony is eventually aiming to do.
Indeed. I would imagine their long term plan is to ship every Sony TV with PlayStation World or whatever built in, with a Netflix style instant library for streaming.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there any chance Sony wouldn't care if you bought a PS4 or not?

Gaikai streaming will probably be higher margin, higher quality revenue for Sony. If hardcore gamers buy the console and everyone else signs up to stream it on their toaster, wouldn't Sony flip out with happiness? Why do they care?

Epcott

Hmm, I gotta admit, it WOULD be awesome on Sonys part if they made at least a PS4 E3 demo or two playable on the PS3, but only if they made it severely limited and clearly stated for casuals that its a cloud streamed demo.

Would also be just as awesome if all E3 PS3 games could be demoed that way. Imagine going into Home, into a virtual E3 booth, your avatar bending over to play Beyond Two Souls, which boots up the actual demo via Gaikai.

DMB4237

Neo Member
Indeed. I would imagine their long term plan is to ship every Sony TV with PlayStation World or whatever built in, with a Netflix style instant library for streaming.

Don't get me wrong. I can eventually see that too. But, the PS3 was never really built with that in mind so I imagine it would be difficult to make it work nearly as good as PS4. If this is real, I can see it as a sort of "experiment" that only the most hardcore will try to see how it could potentially work, and it'll be limited to just a few experiences. At the same time, they'll be testing their infrastructure out before PS4 launches.

fiyah

Bring PS3 backwards compatibility to the PS4 and I don't care about anything else. When I move my launch day PS3 to make way for my PS4 I don't want to ever break it out again. I want to put it in a glass box for my Grandkids to look at years down the line.

spwolf

Don't get me wrong. I can eventually see that too. But, the PS3 was never really built with that in mind so I imagine it would be difficult to make it work nearly as good as PS4. If this is real, I can see it as a sort of "experiment" that only the most hardcore will try to see how it could potentially work, and it'll be limited to just a few experiences. At the same time, they'll be testing their infrastructure out before PS4 launches.

not at all... PS3 is actually overpowered for something like Gaikai... its like watching Netflix on PS3, you can also do it on $49 device.

Bert

I thought game streaming for more than the odd demo wasn't financially viable hence the OnLive debacle.

What's different about Gakai?

Also how to they emulate PS4 only IO (new Eye/DS4 touchpad/any changes to eg triggers)?

StuBurns

Banned
I was talking about like ten years from now, but the PS3 is massively capable of being a Gaikai box. The OnLive box is practically nothing.

Gaikai on PS3 is kind of pointless as far as I can imagine. The point of doing it on PS4 is because it can't play PS3 games, and they want some form of BC. PS3 plays every PS3/2/1 game on the network anyway. The only advantage it has is instant demos, which isn't a big deal really. If they are doing this, it's only to roll the service out in a primitive form ahead of PS4.

DMB4237

Neo Member
I was talking about like ten years from now, but the PS3 is massively capable of being a Gaikai box. The OnLive box is practically nothing.

Gaikai on PS3 is kind of pointless as far as I can imagine. The point of doing it on PS4 is because it can't play PS3 games, and they want some form of BC. PS3 plays every PS3/2/1 game on the network anyway. The only advantage it has is instant demos, which isn't a big deal really. If they are doing this, it's only to roll the service out in a primitive form ahead of PS4.

Oh ok. So we're pretty much on the same page.

goomba

Banned
Probably looks like this:

warhawk-server-cluster.jpg

Umm no that would make no sense at all. Are you saying someone would change the disc in blu ray drive every time someone wanted a different game? , that each gakia client would need their own console in the data centre?. totally goes against the whole point of cloud computing which is scalability and cost efficiency.

jwk94

Umm no that would make no sense at all. Are you saying someone would change the disc in blu ray drive every time someone wanted a different game? , that each gakia client would need their own console in the data centre?. totally goes against the whole point of cloud computing which is scalability and cost efficiency.
Isn't that the ps3 powered super computer or something?

Alej

Banned

And then, someone created the hard disk.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is there any chance Sony wouldn't care if you bought a PS4 or not?

Gaikai streaming will probably be higher margin, higher quality revenue for Sony. If hardcore gamers buy the console and everyone else signs up to stream it on their toaster, wouldn't Sony flip out with happiness? Why do they care?

Pretty much.

Anyway, 'gaikai' is just a distribution pipe. The significance of Gaikai on PS3 depends entirely on what they push down that pipe to PS3.

For example, it's not going to be a big deal if Gaikai on PS3 means streamed PS3 games or PSone games - content you can play already locally on that machine.

But if it means playing PS4 stuff - demos or even full games - on PS3, then that's cool. Or if it means the PS3 store will be revamped to allow instant demos of PS3 games, and firmware update to allow PlayGo tech on PS3, then that's cool too. I see no reason why streaming demos and PlayGo shouldn't happen on both PS3 and Vita as well as PS4.

winjet81

Is this cloud service also being mentioned for Vita, or is Vita's role in this just as a remote player tethered to PS3/4? Has Sony offered up any details?

I have no interest in purchasing a static console (young kids, no time to slack off on a couch), but would flip if I could stream content directly to my Vita.

I think PS4 demos on PS3 through Gaikai, and even PSV, tablets, PCs through a browser, would be a very very smart thing for Sony to do.

Pretty much.

Anyway, 'gaikai' is just a distribution pipe. The significance of Gaikai on PS3 depends entirely on what they push down that pipe to PS3.

For example, it's not going to be a big deal if Gaikai on PS3 means streamed PS3 games or PSone games - content you can play already locally on that machine.

But if it means playing PS4 stuff - demos or even full games - on PS3, then that's cool. Or if it means the PS3 store will be revamped to allow instant demos of PS3 games, and firmware update to allow PlayGo tech on PS3, then that's cool too. I see no reason why streaming demos and PlayGo shouldn't happen on both PS3 and Vita as well as PS4.

What's PlayGo?

Top Bottom