• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Gaikai will come to the PS3 with a FW update

Audioboxer

Taken from this topic at the request of a few members - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58039236&posted=1#post58039236

What I got to play was great, game is actually challenging. Clickers with their "1 hit kills". Really good weighty feel to the gameplay.

I got to take home one of the big advertising cut outs as well, thanks to the cool Sony rep I was chatting to. Shared some good insight into the PS4 as well, and mentioned that gaikai will be coming to the PS3.

Nowhere to put this, but it's never getting chucked out! http://instagram.com/p/ZdF_NPkmTD/ Was a right laugh packing it into my tiny car, thankfully my GF is also tiny or it wouldn't have fitted haha.

A rep named Paul mentioned it, works for Sony marketing and doing demo events like this one. If you went to a game event in Scotland, or northern England he'd of been there. Further south in England (likes of London) were being handled by other staff.

Also said to expect a PS Vita like walk in shop event for the PS4. If you live in the UK you might of visited one of the Vita shops before it launched. Pop-up shops or something they are called, opened and designed to show off the Vita, afterwards shop closes and goes away - http://www.popupspaceblog.com/2012/0...-pop-up-shops/

Also said the PS4 will be playable at Eurogamer Expo in September, and hinted strongly for a console release not long after. Potentially even October.

Lastly said Beyond will be getting a Last of Us type event in GAME stores, and that right now even although it's good to play it's buggy as fuck.

If you meet Paul at your GAME event if they're still on, say hi to him, he's an awesome guy. He'll be at the Eurogamer Expo as well.

No details mentioned on what functionality, only that it's coming to PS3. He told me after I had a little rant about the past year or so of PS3 FW updates not being substantial in anyway, and wondering if we're ever going to get any big updates in the future.

edit:

I think I tracked him down, it's this guy I believe - http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/paul-tarelli/8/835/b62

He used to be a GAME store manager before going to Sony.

Vashetti

Banned
Cannot wait.

ps3-playstation-3-logo.jpg

Best purchase ever.

quickwhips

If you can stream demos why not whole games they are leaving money on the table....this is a bs rumor I'm guessing.

Durante

Hopefully playable PS4 demos via remote play for E3.
I don't think that's technically feasible.

You don't use an event that will draw a massive online crowd to demonstrate your new, very server and bandwidth intensive technology (which will provide a very bad first experience should the available server compute capacity or bandwidth be exceeded).

Alienous

I don't think that's technically feasible.

You don't use an event that will draw a massive online crowd to demonstrate your new, very server and bandwidth intensive technology (which will provide a very bad first experience should the available server compute capacity or bandwidth be exceeded).

Virtual lines/queues.

Hopefully my PS3 games are available at launch. Or I'm gonna be a very very very very angry person.

Not really, but I'd hate having to get The Last of Us, then pulling out the PS3 just to play it.

goomba

Banned
There's no way ps4 games will be playable on ps3 via gakai . It would show that new hardware is not needed.

This is pure for ps3 stuff, they won't let you stream ps4 games on your ps3, dont think its possible or the infrastructure being ready soon.

NBtoaster

Not really necessary to track him down and possibly get him fired...doesn't seem like something he should be sharing if PR hasn't announced it.

Audioboxer

A user needs to own a ps3 and a psp for remote play. They don't need to own a ps4 for gaikai streaming though and some will feel like the ps4 is not needed as a result.

Anyone who does think that way is being hugely narrow minded if you ask me.....

Except psp remote play requires a ps3 to work. Gakai is cloud based , a mere video stream from the cloud.

Exactly. Since the PS4 offers nothing more than updated graphics it could easily be replaced by a PS3 (or whatever device) offering a cloud based gaming experience with equal graphics. Why should i buy a PS4 if my PS3 plays these games just fine?

Exactly. Since the PS4 offers nothing more than updated graphics it could easily be replaced by a PS3 (or whatever device) offering a cloud based gaming experience with equal graphics. Why should i buy a PS4 if my PS3 plays these games just fine?

because sony isn't going to put full PS4 titles on there for PS3's to stream? lol

edit: they're only going to put demos on there, to entice users to buy a PS4 to get the real deal. i wouldn't be surprised if the end of each game had a full blown PS4 advert on there too going through all the features like regular game demos have been doing for years to convince users to buy the full game.

macewank

I'm not sure on the logistics here, but I wonder if the Gaikai tech could be used to make the PS3 act as an intermediary for BC on the PS4? Similar to that rumor that was going around about the Durango + XboxTV thing. Put the disc in the PS3 and that system streams the content to the PS4?

Audioboxer

I'm not sure on the logistics here, but I wonder if the Gaikai tech could be used to make the PS3 act as an intermediary for BC on the PS4? Similar to that rumor that was going around about the Durango + XboxTV thing. Put the disc in the PS3 and that system streams the content to the PS4?

The logical step really is put the disc in the PS4, it can recognize a PS3 disc (obviously not play natively) and then the game streams. I do not think it would be technically hard to get the PS4 to recognize a PS3 disc and what game it is, the hard part ("impossible") would be the actual emulation.

Agent X

This is believable. Sony has already made a considerable investment in Gaikai, and I'm sure they want to utilize the technology whenever and wherever possible. I would not be surprised to see Gaikai come to PS3 in some form.

Hopefully playable PS4 demos via remote play for E3.

That would be an excellent idea!

StuBurns

Banned
Lol no actually they are dedicated high bandwidth servers .
It is still a computer, in a room. Gaikai is remote play, you just don't own the rendering device yourself.

How stupid do you think people are? They'd never buy a PS4 because for two days, six months before it came out, Sony let them demo it via a PS3?

Also...

url

It's not beyond Sony.

Durante

The only way to achieve this would be for the PS4 to have a HDMI in port to receive the PS3 output -- as the video out port on PS3 is the only IO method with enough bandwidth for an uncompressed signal, and PS3 has no built-in compression hardware. Then the systems could communicate via network or USB to be able to use the new controller and OS of PS4 on top of those PS3 games.

This is technically possible, but incredibly cumbersome.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So any chance cloud based gaming could come to the vita??? That would be amazing.

so people with poor internet connections wont be able to use the service ? got it.

Just because some people can't use the service doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

vpance

If they could render PS4 useless and sell completely digital and cloud to customers in 2013 they would! Since selling hardware generates losses and takes time to build up an install base.

Actually many people with slower internet speed will prefer to stream the demo without downloading it

I see this as good for PS4 actually

If you have slow internet, you will not be streaming anything.

True or not, I'd be expecting this to be for very limited areas. Will be interesting too see how viable it becomes.

Top Bottom