• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: GBA games finally coming to the Nintendo eshop?

Drago

I've barely touched my ambassador games, so it's funny to me how badly people want them.
Not everyone is an ambassador, and there are a lot more quality GBA games than the ones ambassadors did get. It's not hard to see why people would want them badly ;)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Nintendo please:

N1IzY.jpg

I'm already envisioning how awesome this will be. Imagine buying Golden Sun and The Lost Age digitally, having them both rest on the same SD card, and STILL HAVING TO WRITE DOWN THEN INPUT A 300 CHARACTER TRANSFER CODE because they didn't reprogram the game in any way.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I wonder if they will ever go back on their promise to not release the ten Ambassador GBA games. Some of them are among the best of the GBA library and it would be a shame for a lot of people to miss out on them.
I always thought it was a stupid, pointless promise.

Drago

Would there be any other reason for NoE to upload high-quality GBA boxarts to their server for seemingly no reason at all, and so close to major eShop maintenance and a Nintendo Direct?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Would there be any other reason for NoE to upload high-quality GBA boxarts to their server for seemingly no reason at all, and so close to major eShop maintenance and a Nintendo Direct?

The mistake you're making is trying to apply reason to anything Nintendo does.

Sophia

I always thought not only was it stupid and pointless, but also insulting to the people who couldn't get a 3DS before the ambassador program went away. It's one thing to reward loyal customers, but not allowing us to purchase them?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This is all I've ever wanted, I hope this is true but I don't want to get my hopes up, the GBA software library is still my favourite.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I always thought not only was it stupid and pointless, but also insulting to the people who couldn't get a 3DS before the ambassador program went away.

That was the whole point--they were rewards for people who paid the original RRP; giving them to everyone else at the same time would have completely invalidated the whole intent of the Ambassador rewards to begin with.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The GBA games though are terribly emulated. Motion blur, rubbish colours and no save or restore points. The system doesn't even go to sleep when you close them.

If they release them, for money, they better fix it.

I always thought not only was it stupid and pointless, but also insulting to the people who couldn't get a 3DS before the ambassador program went away. It's one thing to reward loyal customers, but not allowing us to purchase them?

Good lord, calm down. They have no plans to bring it to the general public at the moment. Never said never.

It hasn't even been a full year since they launched!

@MUWANdo

Banned
The GBA games though are terribly emulated. Motion blur, rubbish colours and no save or restore points. The system doesn't even go to sleep when you close them.

It comes up every time these are mentioned, but signs point to them running in hardware compatibility mode--in other words, they're not being emulated and there's not a lot that can be done to "fix" the way they run, hence why Nintendo wasn't selling them to begin with.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That was the whole point--they were rewards for people who paid the original RRP; giving them to everyone else at the same time would have completely invalidated the whole intent of the Ambassador rewards to begin with.
No, because we still would've gotten them for free but other people would have to pay for them. It would've given a tangible value to the Ambassador program.

Ooooh, Pokemon R/S Pinball as well. Never got to play that.

And where are the other GBC Pokemon spin-off games come to mention it?!

Madao

i'm betting they'll do a big upgrade since the Ambassador versions were just freebies and nintendo never spends big bucks on free stuff (remember the badly emulated Majora's Mask in the Zelda CE disc?)

haven't they upgraded the NES games with savestates and stuff so far?

@MUWANdo

Banned
No, because we still would've gotten them for free but other people would have to pay for them. It would've given a tangible value to the Ambassador program.

When he said "people who couldn't get a 3DS before the ambassador program went away" I thought he was referring to the brief window where stores were slashing the prices ahead of Nintendo but the Ambassador window was still open. No idea why. My bad.

drspeedy

Oh, Ninty will open the ambassador games up to the masses- alà the Wii browser they'll even be offered for free as a penance for the new 3DS lite release so soon after 3DS XL!

But it'll be ok, because the the sting of Ambassador-ship will have long since dulled and all will be forgiven as people line up to buy new hardware and the sing praises of our benevolent overlords.

Or maybe not. Who knows, this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Also: betting we see GBA games at $10, even the SNES ports.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ooooh, Pokemon R/S Pinball as well. Never got to play that.

And where are the other GBC Pokemon spin-off games come to mention it?!

Where's Pokemon TCG. :(

Even though I'm really underwhelmed with Nintendo's emulators on the 3DS and Wii in terms of options.. I figure they'd have to upgrade the GBA emulation if they're selling the titles. It's as bore bones as it gets with the Ambassador games.

Sophia

No giving them free would have been a reward, as everyone else would have had to pay for them. Keeping them exclusive just felt insulting towards anyone who bought a 3DS after.

Good lord, calm down. They have no plans to bring it to the general public at the moment. Never said never.

It hasn't even been a full year since they launched!

The timeframe is irrelevant.

Suddenly, the eShop's future is brighter than the god damn sun
if this is real.

GBA had so many amazing games.

Hopefully, they come out at a faster rate than the previous VC games. Even if it's just Nintendo's own titles, there is still so many great ones to pick from.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You're all excited now, but in three months we'll have one GBA title every three weeks and it'll be something like GT Advance Championship Racing and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure most of those weeks.

Ugh... Super Mario Pinball Land is my least favorite Nintendo game of all time
which is kinda weird cause I really love Metroid Pinball.

Marz

So people really think that they're doing a Nintendo Direct just to announce the addition of GBA games to the E-shop?

I guess they could talk about some upcoming releases or something.

Drago

Going by how VC usually goes, here's my breakdown of 3DS GBA VC by region:

JP - at least 2-4 GBA games a month, all of decent to excellent quality, along with a good amount of games from the other represented consoles
EU - Around 1-3 GBA games a month, mostly Nintendo's own games along with a 3rd party gem every once in a while, games from other consoles are still represented but not as much
NA - 1 GBA game every 5 or 6 weeks, with most of them being of less than desirable quality, and releases from other systems drop considerably. Will be behind other regions by about 20-30 titles by the end of 2013

I'm bitter :<

hao chi

I really hope this happens. There's still quite a few GBA games I want to buy, and I wouldn't mind having them digitally on 3DS.

JazzmanZ

So people really think that they're doing a Nintendo Direct just to announce the addition of GBA games to the E-shop?

I guess they could talk about some upcoming releases or something.
considering the last direct was just about the nsmb2 dlc, I woul be surprised

Unicorn

These GBA games need wireless play. I want to play Mario Kart Super Circuit with some friends!
LLShC.gif

You're all excited now, but in three months we'll have one GBA title every three weeks and it'll be something like GT Advance Championship Racing and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure most of those weeks.

It's bad because people will buy those game because they are starved.

NA - 1 GBA game every 5 or 6 weeks, with most of them being of less than desirable quality, and releases from other systems drop considerably. Will be behind other regions by about 20-30 titles by the end of 2013

Ouch.

truth hurts :(

Yagharek

I'm an ambassador, and I wouldnt care if they went back on their promise and made them available to all by selling them to everyone else.

So long as they update them like the NES ambassador titles its all good.

rjc571

Banned
They... do? Have you checked the prices of GB games yet?

Every single Game Boy game is either $3 or $4. Ooh wow, a difference of one dollar between the cheaper games and the premium games. Do you really think that's the best pricing strategy for them to employ?

Top Bottom