• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Heavenly Sword 2 Axed, Ninja Theory Moving

Jim said:
Ninja Theory has more or less disbanded (if you compare to what they were during HS development), with a lot of the best talent jumping ship to various other places (i.e. SCEA Santa Monica for one)
Interesting, I have a job interview with them.

GameGamer

yellowjacket said:
Am I the only one who liked the original? Improve the gameplay (add a jump button and emphasize the stances more), tighten up the graphics (get rid of screen tearing) and make it longer and I would buy the sequel in a second.

I thought it was a great rental.

The slo-mo arrows were great fun.

harSon

Banned
Jim said:
It's not like a full team of people went, but 1 or 2 have relocated. Connect the dots.

Wouldn't a transition from an English studio to an English studio seem like the logical choice? Someone going from Cambridge to Santa Monica seems a tad bit strange...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Im really getting sick of all the cancelled games TBH. I know huge games are still coming up but i was about the only one maybe that was actually looking forward to HS2.

Jim said:
Ninja Theory has more or less disbanded (if you compare to what they were during HS development), with a lot of the best talent jumping ship to various other places (i.e. SCEA Santa Monica for one)

So they're basically Incognito Entertainment pt. II?

Doubledex

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
http://www.ps3attitude.com/uploaded_images/god_of_war_iii_ps3-747513.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I know, dude ^^
I want to know WHO went to Santa Monica

[QUOTE=xero273]Kai makes guest appearance in GoW3[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Tiduz said:
Im really getting sick of all the cancelled games TBH. I know huge games are still coming up but i was about the only one maybe that was actually looking forward to HS2.

everyone shifting to wii development.

Marco went off to SCEA

DeanoC joined Frontier

I was under the impression that Marco was essentially a SCEI ninja, dropped into Sony-published projects to help the development team get the most out of the hradware. Might be wrong though.

pswii60 said:
Heavenly Sword didn't exactly set the world on fire, makes sense to concentrate on a new IP rather than a sequel.

My thoughts exactly.
With the way it sold, it makes no sense to spend that kind of production money on that game again..better to move on.

Jim

harSon said:
Wouldn't a transition from an English studio to an English studio seem like the logical choice? Someone going from Cambridge to Santa Monica seems a tad bit strange...

SCEA developed titles of course. This was months ago, but I assume nothing has changed. People started leaving around May/June 07.

Nolan.

Tiduz said:

Which is probably why they canned it.

KZObsessed

sionyboy said:
Marco went off to SCEA

DeanoC joined Frontier

I was under the impression that Marco was essentially a SCEI ninja, dropped into Sony-published projects to help the development team get the most out of the hradware. Might be wrong though.

Which one was "Nostromo" who posted here?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Nolan. said:
Which is probably why they canned it.

The game deserved a second chance.

compare dmc2 to dmc3. thats my point. If they tweaked things it could have been a really good game.

Nolan.

Tiduz said:
The game deserved a second chance.

compare dmc2 to dmc3. thats my point. If they tweaked things it could have been a really good game.

I agree somewhat though from their view it really lost them a lot of time, effort and money. I would rather sony gave the ip to someone like insomniac or naughty dog and see where they wanted to take it. Though they seem to not want to do anything with it at all if this is to be believed.

Azzurri said:
For what it's worth I really liked HS.

So did I, but given the rumoured 20million+ budget, the delay, the critical reception and the eventual sales, it's understandable why Sony have decided not to go further with the series.

peonic

Jim said:

That's the biggest load of poop I've heard in a while. We're still here, we're still going strong thanks very much.

Tiduz said:
I think Sony is backing away from the triumphalism that marked a lot of their early new IPs for this generation, and making a return to the established IPs that gamers know and love, like Wipeout, God of War, Gran Turismo, and others. I am quite happy about this but I can understand why some wouldn't be.

Jim

peonic said:
That's the biggest load of poop I've heard in a while. We're still here, we're still going strong thanks very much.

I didn't say that NT no longer existed, I said key people left after HS was completed. Which is true.

Hey, I loved HS, and would have loved a sequel. :)

tameem

We (Ninja Theory) never started work on HS2 as we wanted to focus on new multiplatform IP. Sony owns the IP for HS and we have never been privy to what they would do with it.

As for moving, we have been planning to move to larger premises for future expansion for the best part of a year. There is nothing bitter about the move.

And the rumour that the team has been disbanded is ridiculous. We have had an unbelievably loyal team especially as we went through some difficult times securing a new publishing deal. We have a new publisher and are busy on our new project which is going very well so far.

HS is far from our thoughts at the moment.

Tameem

Jim

tameem said:
And the rumour that the team has been disbanded is ridiculous. We have had an unbelievably loyal team especially as we went through some difficult times securing a new publishing deal. We have a new publisher and are busy on our new project which is going very well so far.

I agree "disbanded" was too strong a word if taken out of context. Wasn't trying to start/continue a rumor that HS was closing up or anything, just stating that NT is not the same that it was when Heavenly Sword was in development and a few publically outspoken/high profile people left.

jim said:
Ninja Theory has more or less disbanded (if you compare to what they were during HS development)

/Damage Control :lol

Which one was "Nostromo" who posted here?

That was Marco Salvi (Nostromo here, nAo at B3D) As someone else said he does work at Lucas Arts as a PS3 engineer (sorry, I thought he was one who had gone to Santa Monica)

tameem

By "high profile", you mean the 2 regular NT posters on this forum?

Since we have 50 "low profile" people left and hiring, i think we will survive :)

Forsete

Jim said:

Awesome! *thumbs up* :D

Zophar

I'd say they brought it upon themselves by completely squandering such a generous budget and putting out one of the most mediocre high-profile games in recent memory. Even their hyped production quality wasn't that impressive in retrospect.

Nolan.

Zophar said:
I'd say they brought it upon themselves by completely squandering such a generous budget and putting out one of the most mediocre high-profile games in recent memory. Even their hyped production quality wasn't that impressive in retrospect.

I just think Andy serkis had too much influence than he should have had personally.

Haruspex

Banned
Heavenly sword was spellbinding to look at and listen to (go Nitin Sawhney!) but the gameplay was tired, then again I quite enjoyed it because I paid very little for the game. I also thought Nariko was a compelling character, who managed to rise above the vapid 'eye candy' that females are usually portrayed as in games... then again she still was stick thin and hyper-beautiful.

I talked to Tameem at Nordic Game last month and there isn't much animosity there towards Sony. They had a chance to make Heavenly Sword 2 and declined. Considering Ninja Theory were housed at Sony Cambridge, it's rather understandable that they are moving out as they are not working on a PS3-exclusive game.

Nobody really knows what SCEE Cambridge is doing, their own games have bombed and last I heard was that they are helping out on Killzone 2.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Well NT was a money black hole that needed to be let go. I am glad this happened. Ninja theory should be happy SONY gave them a chance while others shun them away. Not only did they give them a chance, they threw massive amounts of cash and resources at them. Ungrateful mofos.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Too bad. I'd love to see a sequel, but I guess it really doesn't make much financial sense.

thrasher said:
Sony is kicking themselves in the teeth with all the single player cancellations.

I love it!
You seriously want more online-focused games to be made? To the point that you scoff at developers who want to make single player stuff?

Marconelly said:
Too bad. I'd love to see a sequel, but I guess it really doesn't make much financial sense.

You seriously want more online-focused games to be made?

The new head of SCEWWS seems convinced that SP only games aren't worth making.

Doubledex

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:
Nobody really knows what SCEE Cambridge is doing, their own games have bombed and last I heard was that they are helping out on Killzone 2.
MediEvil 1 + 2 was a big success, dude
They are working on their own/new IP

Top Bottom