• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: L.A Noire Remaster Coming to Nintendo Switch says Rockstar Leaker (Twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

Conspiracy theories aside, Rockstar HAS to know that people would double/triple/quadruple dip to have portable GTA 4/5, right? I still haven't played it yet but from what I hear of GTAV, people just can't get enough of it and it's making Rockstar money hand over fist. I'm surprised Rockstar hasn't ported it to anything that can even run it at this point, and I feel like with the reception it's gotten people would buy a Switch just to play it on the go, let alone buy it if they already have the system.

And it came out on PS3 and 360 so it's not like the Switch wouldn't be able to run it, since it's apparently on par with those systems at minimum, if not slightly more powerful?

But since their bread and butter is GTAO maybe it wouldn't be as viable on Switch since we have no effing idea how online will work on it yet.

GTA Online whilst out and about on a mobile connection? Hahahaha oh lord that would be horrible.

Zemm

LA Noire, as a video game, is fundamentally broken right from the design document. It's an interrogation game where you have only ever have three choices, all of which are so badly named that they give you completely the wrong idea of what they mean, and none of which let you know what your character is going to say before he says it. It is routine that you'll pick one choice and have your character say something you absolutely didn't intend.

You only get one chance at every decision, too. Never mind that you're a policeman and you have a criminal suspect in custody; if you ask the wrong question once you never get to ask it again. Video games.

Moreover, it's a detective/investigation game where you are never allowed to accurately solve a case. After one or two tutorial cases, every case in the game ends with you convicting a person you know isn't the real culprit, because those are the only options the game gives you. Later you'll usually have a big dumb shootout with the real bad guy in a mediocre, scripted, 'cinematic' mission. There's no satisfaction to be had here.

You pretty much nail why this game was bad.

Simo

Conspiracy theories aside, Rockstar HAS to know that people would double/triple/quadruple dip to have portable GTA 4/5, right? I still haven't played it yet but from what I hear of GTAV, people just can't get enough of it and it's making Rockstar money hand over fist. I'm surprised Rockstar hasn't ported it to anything that can even run it at this point, and I feel like with the reception it's gotten people would buy a Switch just to play it on the go, let alone buy it if they already have the system.

And it came out on PS3 and 360 so it's not like the Switch wouldn't be able to run it, since it's apparently on par with those systems at minimum, if not slightly more powerful?

But since their bread and butter is GTAO maybe it wouldn't be as viable on Switch since we have no effing idea how online will work on it yet.

I don't even know if they have the time considering they've got all 9 studios and thousands of employees working on RDR2, even the North branch is slowing off GTA online to work on RDR.

I'm still unsure about this rumor given its weird timing unless they're trying to keep the IP relevant and have been working on a sequel in secret.

GTA Online whilst out and about on a mobile connection? Hahahaha oh lord that would be horrible.

Well I mean I specifically mention GTAO in my post but I'd think with how positive people are about the game as a whole, they'd want to play it on the go. Or is the glowing reception purely for the Online aspect and nobody really gives a shit about the single player mode or dicking around in the city offline?

I don't even know if they have the time considering they've got all 9 studios and thousands of employees working on RDR2, even the North branch is slowing off GTA online to work on RDR.

I'm still unsure about this rumor given its weird timing unless they're trying to keep the IP relevant and have been working on a sequel in secret.
Damn, had no idea that work on RDR2 was so extensive. I.. guess I should probably play it at some point to see what all the fuss is about o:

Jay Sosa

Why?

I mean seriously..why?*

No one asked for this.

LA Noire, as a video game, is fundamentally broken right from the design document. It's an interrogation game where you have only ever have three choices, all of which are so badly named that they give you completely the wrong idea of what they mean, and none of which let you know what your character is going to say before he says it. It is routine that you'll pick one choice and have your character say something you absolutely didn't intend.

You only get one chance at every decision, too. Never mind that you're a policeman and you have a criminal suspect in custody; if you ask the wrong question once you never get to ask it again. Video games.

Moreover, it's a detective/investigation game where you are never allowed to accurately solve a case. After one or two tutorial cases, every case in the game ends with you convicting a person you know isn't the real culprit, because those are the only options the game gives you. Later you'll usually have a big dumb shootout with the real bad guy in a mediocre, scripted, 'cinematic' mission. There's no satisfaction to be had here.

And THIS is exactly the reason why no one asked for it.

Such a shame that the impressive facial expressions, the interesting setting and the great premise were all ruined by terrible gameplay/game design.

In that regard it was even worse than GTA 4.

*obviously to make a quick buck, no need to point that out.

Why?

I mean seriously..why?*

No one asked for this.

And THIS is exactly the reason why no one asked for it.

Such a shame that the impressive facial expressions, the interesting setting and the great premise were all ruined by terrible gameplay/game design.

In that regard it was even worse than GTA 4.

*obviously to make a quick buck, no need to point that out.

I asked for this.

If they're releasing it on the Switch, why not just remaster it for current gen? Unless Nintendo has specifically commissioned this game which seems atypical of them.

Jay Sosa

And then they would later complain that nobody buys a thing that nobody asks, lol.

maybe it's intentional. Bring one of the most disappointing games over to the switch, obviously no one will buy it and tadaaa you'll never have to bother with porting any games over to it again.

I mean why on gods green earth would they pick this game over any GTA or RDR or Bully or literally ANYTHING else.

Koyuga

Rockstar should really use the tech in this again for another game. A huge shame that the developer was shut down before they could make their next title.

Agreed.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think we're well past due for a title change. People clearly aren't reading the part of the rumor about it coming to PS4 and Xbone as well.

I suppose somebody has already use it but I needed to post it again becuase it sounds fucking absurd...
but-why.gif

Red Dead Redemption 1 would make a BUNCH more sense (and I could finally play it).

EDIT And even if its also or the other two consoles, its still stupid. The game was bad, and Ive beaten it already on PC. The only good part about it was walking trhough LA.

Seriously though, why doesn't the thread title get updated to reflect that the rumour is that L.A. Noire gets remastered for all current gen consoles, not just Switch?

It's a good way for a studio to get some dev time and experience on the new hardware with little risk.

Interesting choice of game though. Should have given them Red Dead when everyone else get's Red Dead 2 lol!

edit - oh, they releasing it across the board?

Damn, I really don't get the vitriol thrown LA Noire's way. It had its flaws, but once you play a few cases and start to understand what the three different options really mean it's a fine game. Also if you feel a bit stuck you can use Lie, Cole will typically indicate which clue should be used or if Lie is the wrong way to go and you can easily back out. The performances, facial capture, soundtrack, and production values are stellar, and it's a really great game to play with a more casual audience. I really hope they make a sequel that irons out the flaws, there's still plenty of potential with this kind of game and I haven't really played anything else like it.

Guymelef

Franz Brötchen;229122876 said:
Seriously though, why doesn't the thread title get updated to reflect that the rumour is that L.A. Noire gets remastered for all current gen consoles, not just Switch?

Nobody cares about a LA Noire remaster, so mods don't care about this thread.

Calm Mind

Franz Brötchen;229122876 said:

Mods like shooting fish in a barrel?

A port of GTAV seems like a thing Nintendo would be real dumb if they didn't try get.

This is super random unless a sequel is about to be announced. And even then why release on Switch when it wont get the sequel?

Also if you feel a bit stuck you can use Lie, Cole will typically indicate which clue should be used or if Lie is the wrong way to go and you can easily back out.

You basically have to use Lie, because sometimes that first line that you get to back out from will give you some vital piece of information that you'll use to make the decision, which leads you you vehemently accusing your suspects all the time and then just timidly backing down if you realise you need to pick a different option.

I mean, they didn't even get the diction right with 'Truth, Doubt and Lie'. With Truth and Lie you're saying that the suspect is telling the truth or lying, whereas with Doubt you're the one doubting them. It wouldn't fix the game instantly, but it would definitely help if they dropped the rubbish 'Truth/Doubt/Lie' thing entirely and just let you see your three dialogue options in full before you committed to one. It honestly feels like that was the original intent, and then at some point in development they decided to switch to Truth/Doubt/Lie and just awkwardly tried to map their existing dialogue choices to those three options. Sometimes it works OK, but more often it feels like it doesn't at all.

Ahasverus

Rockstar did seem to be in the middle of their "Happy Endings Don't Exist" faze when this was made.
Hey, I'm all for a tragic ending done well (you know, like /that/ other game of theirs) but this was intentionally made to infuriate you. It's the only thing they succeded at.

Well I mean I specifically mention GTAO in my post but I'd think with how positive people are about the game as a whole, they'd want to play it on the go. Or is the glowing reception purely for the Online aspect and nobody really gives a shit about the single player mode or dicking around in the city offline?

That's not where Rockstar's making the bulk of their money though. The online is the money maker,to the poibt where the online for RDR2 was announced before a location. I don't doubt for a second that if Switch blew up, could reasonably run the next gen version(which I don't think it can), and there would be no difficulties getting the online to work that they would port it. Gtav is a massive game, one of the most expensive of all time, porting it wouldn't be a small job. It'd have to be worth it and I don't think single player is enough to justify the port job for Rockstar.

I once found a brand new, sealed copy of this being clearanced for £3 and didn't think it was worth it.

If this is true, I can only assume whoever is responsible for this is having a nervous breakdown or deliberately trying to annoy people.

Hahs

Why would anyone want this or put the effort into a remaster?
Believe it or not, but remakes/remasters are just as much for the developers as it is for consumers... Typically new tech is being tested for future games. Last gen was plagued with remasters/remakes, but the tech also got better.

LordRaptor

To answer all of the "but why?" questions, R* are basically a one game company at the moment, and it would make a lot of sense to have a backup plan if GTA loses popularity or another studio / publisher chooses to make a serious play to dethrone it.

Raitaro

If Rockstar really does do this it will be a big troll and middle finger to Nintendo fans. I mean there hasn't been a gta on a Nintendo "home" console ever. The fact they would greenlight this that's kind of funny.

I'd say it's about as big a middle finger / troll as FROM saying "oh, yeah, we have Dark Souls 3 running on Switch already but we're unsure if we want to release it until the console has sold plenty." I mean, either give the people what they want or don't bother (teasing them). In this case a GTAV port and/or Red Dead (2) port (or that rumored Dark Souls collection in FROM's case) would be great while a L.A. Noire remaster (or nothing in FROM's case again) seems...a bit off in terms of listening fan demand.

I'm not sure what's worse, yet another "no, we're not making a Switch version / port of X" announcement or announcements of games being ported that pretty much no one asked for. Nothing against L.A. Noire in particular but it certainly is no GTA, Red Dead or an original game for Switch.

Simo

Damn, had no idea that work on RDR2 was so extensive. I.. guess I should probably play it at some point to see what all the fuss is about o:

Well it's not just RDR2 but when the "HD era" came with 360/PS3 development time, budget and resources increased because of the meticulous amount of detail and work Rockstar out in their titles. As the technology imoroves, the gamers and consumer expectations increases.

I mean development on RDR2 started in 2012 and will be the studios first true title developed from the ground up for current gen!

Simo

Gimme "Whore of the Orient"
Project is dead, pretty much That and whatever was left of Team Bondi scattered to the wind.

So whatever happened with Brendan McNamara?

He, along with whatever remnant of Team Bondi that would work for him, were scooped up by KMM - the film production company of George Miller, director of the Mad Max movies.

KMM wanted to establish a video game arm of the company, they had failed in the past with Cory Barlog and a Mad Max game, and so they got what was left of Bondi and McNamara and set to make Whore of the Orient. It was going to be a spiritual successor to Noire that used the same technology. The Australian government even gave funding for the project but it ultimately just fizzled out and the project died. KMM folded their video game production plans and whatever was left of Team Bondi was closed and the team laid off.

DOWN

Banned
Why would a dead franchise developed by a dead non-Rockstar studio get a remaster over the numerous Rockstar games last gen that are still living franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom