• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: L.A Noire Remaster Coming to Nintendo Switch says Rockstar Leaker (Twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyFish

Banned
this thread is basically 9 pages of people agreeing on how terrible it is. But sure, go ahead.

People shouldn't formulate their own opinions. Cool.

Why would a dead franchise developed by a dead non-Rockstar studio get a remaster over the numerous Rockstar games last gen that are still living franchises?

Take-Two was happy with sales. It is in no way dead.

Simo

Why would a dead franchise developed by a dead non-Rockstar studio get a remaster over the numerous Rockstar games last gen that are still living franchises?

Because aside from GTA and Red Dead, Rockstar's other franchises weren't as successful as L.A Noire. Also how or why is it a dead franchise when the game sold and reviewed extremely well and Rockstar owns the IP?

xrnzaaas

I would definitely play a remaster on my PS4, because I never got to finish any of the exclusive cases. And I imagine it's still a very enjoyable game even if you remember who's the killer. :)

Seik

Banned
If true.

TT employee: ''Sir, I'm not sure LA Noire is our best ch---''
Boss: ''Yes it is, it'll sell like shit, and we'll have a good reason not to develop for the Switch ever again after that.''
TT employee: ''But sir...why not GTA or Red De--''
Boss: ''DO IT!''

I can't see other reason than that, still, why?

Might even see Rocket League on Swtich, 8 way local multiplayer and on the go would be possibilities

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...nintendo-switch-were-excited-fingers-crossed/

HYbjlEz.png

SliChillax

I thought this game was amazing. Only thing I hated about it was the awful draw distance pop in and the 30fps lock (played on PC. If they do a remaster and fix those two, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Rambone

Going to leave my mark here as well, LA Noir does not need a remaster and pretty sure not many were expecting or wanting this.

SexyFish

Banned
eh, you're right. only fair that he should suffer like the rest of us did.

yep, that makes two of you.

vzHriVq.png

Plenty of people liked it. (Metacritic is dumb, but I'm looking at the user score here.)

That being said, this is the weirdest game to remaster for Switch and I can't imagine it selling well.

Never got to play this game before. The setting looks interesting and I love the facial animation thing. It has an overall "Very Positive" review status on Steam.

Maybe I will pick it when it goes on sale there....

I have never played LA Noir.

But this is one of those games that GAF hates that mainstream players really liked.

I don't know if I will give it a try, and I'm frustrated this is anything other than Red Dead Redemption, but a remaster of this game doesn't seem unusual.

Effect

I just went back and watched some videos of L.A Noire. If this exist, in any form, they'd have to do one hell of a remaster to make this game more appealing. So much of it is lifeless and stiff from characters to environments. GTA it certainly isn't from a purely gameplay point of view. Something like Mafia 2 which released around the same time looks a lot better as well and more alive. The interrogations were always interesting and that you are playing a detective is part of it's appeal. That's also a negative since you are in a detective story that includes all the limitations in terms of things you can do and that is partly why you don't see the game mentioned all that much. There is a significant boring aspect to the game others like it don't have. The replayability of the game from what I remember is also extremely limited and gets old very quick. It's not something people are still messing around with 100s of hours later. It's still a bad choice of a game to remaster no matter what platforms it could be coming on if the rumor is true.

So even if this does get made and there is a Switch version I don't think I'd really care to be honest and I doubt many people will. They would have to add something significantly new to change that for me.

I had thought that LA Noire seemed boring until someone colored my understanding of its relationship with the "American Spirit." Someone sold me on it last week and I was going to pick up a cheap copy, but if this is true I'll wait! It'll be easier to play on a second screen as my S.O is often beside me

Pif

Banned
R* meeting notes: "What's the best way of showing that there's no market for our games on this system so we don't have to publish GTA on it"

I'm still baffled at the obvious low investment money-cow that would be GTA Vice City/3 on 3DS.

And never happened.

I'm more inclined to believe that this is a fake leak.

La noire was essentially an open world telltale game. It has mainstream appeal as a franchise. Look at Mafia 3. Look at Assassins Creed. Shit look at the shelock holmes games. Peroid pieces sell. Detective games sell. Rockstar games sell.

Fuck it I'll say it. Noire has more potential than Bully in a sequel.

Eh, id buy it. I liked the first one just fine. But unless they are going full remaster like gta5 with updated environments give us a la noir/ rdr remaster collection.

You can call it the rockstar 20th century collection or something

Makonero

I have never played LA Noir.

But this is one of those games that GAF hates that mainstream players really liked.

I don't know if I will give it a try, and I'm frustrated this is anything other than Red Dead Redemption, but a remaster of this game doesn't seem unusual.

I only played 3/4 of it and really loved it. Apparently that last 1/4 is so bad it ruins the game, or so I've heard.

So just play the first 3/4.

I can see the logic, dip a toe in the water of a new system by a simple, cheap and quick port an IP of limited value. Test quietly whether the Switch is something they can money on and then also see how badly people want an LA Noire sequel that they might be vacillating over greenlighting. Though there's really no point if you aren't also putting them on PS4/X1 (which, maybe they are but we've only heard about the switch version so far).

I didn't mind the game. The doubt thing was ridiculous and the way the game just pisses away so much of what it had built up in the last section of the game is utterly incompetent.

Plus, if you're a fan of Mad Men, almost the entire cast of first few seasons of that show are in this.

jmizzal

this thread is basically 9 pages of people agreeing on how terrible it is. But sure, go ahead.

They are plenty of people saying the like the game, including me, and it has a 86 metacritc, if someone wants to try the game let them decided for themselves.

Alpende

Is there actually an audience for a 6 year old game on the Switch? I liked the game but wouldn't want to play it again.

Nairume

Banned
Is there actually an audience for a 6 year old game on the Switch? I liked the game but wouldn't want to play it again.
We'll find out, just as well find out if the market's there for the PS4 and Xbone versions.

That said, as much as people want to be dismissive of rereleasing old games, clearly there is enough a market for rereleasing popular/semi-popular older titles, otherwise publishers wouldn't keep doing it.

They are plenty of people saying the like the game, including me, and it has a 86 metacritc, if someone wants to try the game let them decided for themselves.

Not to mention 87% positive reviews on Steam. GAF is an outlier in its hate for this game. It's not for everyone, but it's for the most part well-made with a few questionable decisions. Just don't go into it expecting a GTA-like.

wildfire

Banned
are all the western studios just going to rummage around their bottom of the barrel for a bare minimum to toss to the switch to see if it sells? Come on, put something at least more recent. This whole "oh see this 6 year old game didn't sell, guess we shouldn't try anymore" is nonsense. At least give it a chance.

Skyrim isn't bottom of the barrel. I already played it but I'm interested in SKyrim on the go in a proper handheld instead of an overpriced laptop with acceptable performance.

joms5

I for one really loved this game. It fell apart at the end but it was something special.

The world was exquisitely detailed, the performances (both facial and vocal) were outstanding, the game played like an adventure game with interesting cases that had twists to them, and they nailed the look, feel and sound of the time.

I really loved all of Brendan McNamara's work and thought L.A. Noire was right up there at the top.

Having said that, I don't want this, especially on the Switch.

Darkangel

There has to be some kind of in-joke going on with third parties. This is like when EA released the Mass Effect Trilogy at the same time as Mass Effect 3 on Wii U.

Ridley327

Remaster implies it could be more than just a port, so they could make it in to something that's actually fun to play.

I wouldn't expect more than a release with all of the DLC included and maaaaaaybe having that DLC integrated into the main story. Anything more would require them to make a new game, more or less, with how the game design was tied to the facial scanning tech.

I don't see this happening, nor I see why they'd do LA Noire instead of something else. Let's also remember that Nintendo ruined Body Harvest for them back then, and when they tried developing something for a Nintendo platform, it flopped hard.

And this. Not sure how actually reputable she is here in GAF but: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5kttpp/laura_kate_dales_extra_information_on_obe1s/

Thats old, considering how much she got wrong on the software side in her leaks before the switch presentation.

opricnik

Banned
I started playing LA Noire on PC after this remaster news i and immediately find city of game very similiar looking to Mario Oddsey
NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn07_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Daft_Cat

Could be they've got one of their studios working on a sequel - something with a similarly investigative approach set in a new city or country. In that case, a remaster is a relatively cheap way to reintroduce the IP... and as someone that loves detective fiction yet somehow never played the original, I'd bite.

Could be they've got one of their studios working on a sequel - something with a similarly investigative approach set in a new city or country. In that case, a remaster is a relatively cheap way to reintroduce the IP... and as someone that loves detective fiction yet somehow never played the original, I'd bite.

SF Noire set in the 1960s/70s with a "Streets of San Francisco" type of vibe would be fire.

Hahs

Some people don't get that remakes are as much for the developers as they are for consumers. It's a learning experience from a technical standpoint, testing out/trying new techniques to make better games.

I'm gonna say it again - last gen was plagued with remakes and we're better off for it today, this gen is no different.

I don't get why they would release LA Noire, easily Rockstar's worst game of the last 10 years, on this console. Was figuring they'd just want to forget it.

Although if I were to replay it I'd keep this quote in mind:

"It's funny. A lot of people say Aaron turns into a psycho. When we originally wrote the game the questions you asked were coax, force and lie. It was actually force because it was a more aggressive answer. That's the way we recorded it. But when the game came out it was truth, doubt or lie. Everyone always says Aaron on the second question is a psycho. So that's not his fault."

Making the choices "Coax, Force, Lie" makes a hell of a lot more sense than the choices the game gives you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom