• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR : Mario Kart 8 to feature a track editor?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
well, that would be a Mario kart to end them all.
I hope that it's true.

That's why they probably won't do it, people would be less likely to purchase Mario Kart 9 if they could just create their own tracks forever, especially if those custom tracks could be shared on miiverse, or even better, played online!

Of course, with the next iteration they could just go with Nintendo Kart, add Link, Zelda, Samus, and some Fire Emblem Awakening characters; keep the item boxes but also give these characters some unique abilities, and BAM! Mario Kart 9 becomes a must have game again.

reKon

Banned
This would indeed be amazing. I know from all the time I spent on Modnation Racers, the best kart racer of last gen.

eXistor

If it'll happen (and I doubt it will) it'll probably be nothing more than editing existing tracks. Placing boost pads, adding some jumps here and there, nothing major I think.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Something like the Modnation Racers editor would be nice, but I seriously doubt Mario Kart 8 will have a track editor.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is such a great idea and yet I don't see Nintendo applying this.

It's a shame where we doubt them doing something that would obviously be amazing in one of their big titles to push the Wii U this year. It would be fantastic if this is true though.

monome

humm...the tracks are too complicated for editin, IMO. unless we're talking doing your own SNES type tracks.

No blue shells tho would be megaton.

Mory Dunz

I mean, keep in mind that there is a stage editor in Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

Yeah, I'm 100% sure it won't happen....

But if it did it would be simple stuff and tools that could never rival a real Mario Kart track. I mean, they want you to buy the next one, not make and share perfect tracks from one game.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
You know what feature I've always wanted in a Mario Kart game?

A mode where you can freely explore the track design. Either run around the track with a controllable Mario, or fly over the track with a controllable Lakitu. This would be very easy for Nintendo to implement.

Raven77

Please be true.

Please be fully featured and with only few restrictions.

Please, oh God, please let this be true.

That's why they probably won't do it, people would be less likely to purchase Mario Kart 9 if they could just create their own tracks forever, especially if those custom tracks could be shared on miiverse, or even better, played online!

Of course, with the next iteration they could just go with Nintendo Kart, add Link, Zelda, Samus, and some Fire Emblem Awakening characters; keep the item boxes but also give these characters some unique abilities, and BAM! Mario Kart 10 becomes a must have game again.

I like how in your scenario, they don't add other Nintendo characters into 9 but wait to use that for 10. And 9 is just an understood failure. Haha.

pooptest

F-Zero X DD had an amazing track editor - way back in 2000.

4D Stunts had an amazing track editor, too... for 1990 standards.
Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)
Track Editor:
stunts4.gif

Zornica

Banned
Moto Racer 2 had a track editor in '98.

That isn't a sony game, besides, nintendo had track editors way earlier than 98.
And I highly doubt moto racer's track editor is anywhere as complex as the F-Zero DD one:

humm...the tracks are too complicated for editin, IMO. unless we're talking doing your own SNES type tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GNQYeU5I4 demo part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5O7pqaPRxM demo part 2

custom track examplex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13hGIcfDXlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhuXRHrWqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HW2KNXR14

The track editor included in F-Zero X DD appears to be the same one that was used to create the original tracks in the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well looking at how it works in F-Zero X Expansion Kit I could see a simple track editor that overlays the design on a set of pre existing locations, like the SNES and GBA levels, working. The GBA Mario Circuit track shown in the most recent trailer even shows how they've added elevation to the old flat tracks.

massoluk

Banned
Imagine this. Real time track creator. 4 people race while the fifth person draw the track while it's still going on, the turn, the jump, the goomba.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I like how in your scenario, they don't add other Nintendo characters into 9 but wait to use that for 10. And 9 is just an understood failure. Haha.

Actually, that was a typo. Meant to say 9.

But it could play out that way, who knows.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Unlikely considering how complex the tracks are now, and the effort they've put into the environments. F-Zero on the DD was easier because they were just floating in 3D space.

I also think we would have heard about it by now because it would be an obvious use of the GamePad.

Would be awesome but I'm not getting any hopes up.

bluehat9

Yeah, 0% chance of it happening. they won't even put user-created content in a NSMB platformer (where it would seem to be much easier than Mario Kart tracks). And we would've heard about it by now.

Powerwing

I've played 150 hours (and still keep playing) on mk7 and I've always wished they would add some tracks.This feature would be so awesome but it's Nintendo so it's imposiburu.
I'm on neogaf so ... believe

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Unlikely considering how complex the tracks are now, and the effort they've put into the environments. F-Zero on the DD was easier because they were just floating in 3D space.
Well Diddy Kong Racing DS had custom tracks floating in space despite the main game's tracks being grounded. Nothing says MK8 can't do the same thing.

ito007

i really wish this were true. i can imagine the track editor parts being pretty bland though. im not sure if itd really be worth playing those when you got better ones already made for you. still id like them to at least try

Roo

I don't see it happening at all.
After the Custom Tracks fiasco and their attempt to ban people using them
I don't see why would they change their mind all of sudden allowing people to do
what they tried to stop a few years back.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If Mario Kart 8 does have this, it could potentially be one of the top Mario Kart games of all time.

So I have doubts it will happen.

Top Bottom