• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mark Cerny's team (Knack) helping out on finishing The Last Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan Studio Internal Team #1 : Knack -> Puppeteer
Japan Studio Internal Tean #2 : Puppeteer -> Gravity Daze 2

Is my guess for this whole thing.
Aka meh and expected.

Mononoke

Banned
Knack was developed by a team at Sony Japan Studio which... is the same studio that would have been making TLG anyway. At least, supposedly making it.

Yeah, that is what people were saying in the Guardian Rumor thread.

So I'm kind of confused as to how it was news.

Who

Banned
I'd never had any real interest in the game, but for the love God atleast make sure you take your time on it. The Last Guardian finally releasing and feeling rushed and incomplete would be just...an incredible feat.

It's been YEARS. You either cancel it or make it the best fucking game in history of mankind.

I don't think people really understand how Studio Japan operates. The "teams" are floated around from project to project depending on development needs. "Team Ico" is just the name of the core group of creatives that are led by Ueda and the same goes for "Team Cerny" (core group of creatives led by Cerny for development of Knack). Basically the teams are labelled as such for whatever project they are working on not the people in the team and as such these teams can and do get regularly rotated and changed depending on the needs of the project. It's a fluid system they are not independent entities. It is absolutely a given that some of the staff from Cerny's project would also be working on the Last Guardian.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the shocking news here. I was always under the impression that Sony Japan was more or iess one pool of resources that got shifted around as projects entered and left full production or needed a push towards release.

Yeah, that's what I thought. "Team ICO" is literally just anybody who is available for Ueda to poach.

In fact I swear I remember a quote from Yoshida or someone a couple years back where they outright said in response to a TLG question that Japan Studio was busy making things like Knack and Puppeteer, implying that there were very little to no staff working on TLG out of a simple lack of personnel.

viveks86

Sorry vivek, you're an insider now.

878692.gif

Yeah, I'm not seeing the shocking news here. I was always under the impression that Sony Japan was more or iess one pool of resources that got shifted around as projects entered and left full production or needed a push towards release.

I'd say two pool, but Knack and Puppeteer weren't super huge projects, so who knows how it would be if they were making a huge game.

Chakan

Knack is actually enjoyable if you play it on the hardest difficulty (reminds me of Crash Bandicoot), otherwise no.

Kieli

You haven't played many games then.

Knack is thoroughly mediocre in every single way except perhaps graphics (and not artistically, but technically).

That's not to say it's a bad game. But it's not... a good game.

Edit: this rumor caused my TLG hype to plummet, lmao

why are people worried about the Knack developers ruining TLG? Knack was disliked because of its gameplay, and ICO/SotC aren't really well-received because of how great their gameplay was. Hell, they're petty minimal in it, iirc.

You sure about that? Cause I could've sworn that the best thing about SotC was the gameplay and figuring how to take down each Colossus.

Mononoke

Banned
IMO Knack only barely qualifies as a game.

Uh what.

I'm seriously curious how you arrived to that conclusion, and what your metric is for what it takes to qualify as a game. I get not liking the game. But saying it barely qualifies to be a game. Huh

Yeah, that's what I thought. "Team ICO" is literally just anybody who is available for Ueda to poach.

In fact I swear I remember a quote from Yoshida or someone a couple years back where they outright said in response to a TLG question that Japan Studio was busy making things like Knack for launch, implying that there were very little to no staff working on TLG out of a simple lack of personnel.

I can't remember that quote but I can remember Gavin Moore (Puppeteer's director) saying that Puppeteer had been put on hold for a while because their team had been moved over to work on The Last Guardian. Then TLG hit whatever snags it did and staff were moved back onto Puppeteer.

The OP isn't a rumour, it's how Japan Studio is structured. No different to how Uncharted 3's team worked on The Last of Us.

I hope the game is re-announced and released this year so people would shut up about it already

Agreed. I'm not looking forward to the hundreds of threads gushing over the fact the game exists. It just needs to come out already so people can stop complaining about it.

No one knows what the game is about nowadays but everyone is gushing over it on name alone.

Tansut

Knack is thoroughly mediocre in every single way except perhaps graphics (and not artistically, but technically).

That's not to say it's a bad game. But it's not... a good game.

Edit: this rumor caused my TLG hype to plummet, lmao
Knack has always felt like a video game tie-in to a Dreamworks movie that doesn't exist.

In fact I swear I remember a quote from Yoshida or someone a couple years back where they outright said in response to a TLG question that Japan Studio was busy making things like Knack and Puppeteer, implying that there were very little to no staff working on TLG out of a simple lack of personnel.

of course people are.going to ignore this and go "ohhh knack yuck preorder cancelled!"

I can't remember that quote but I can remember Gavin Moore (Puppeteer's director) saying that Puppeteer had been put on hold for a while because their team had been moved over to work on The Last Guardian. Then TLG hit whatever snags it did and staff were moved back onto Puppeteer.

The OP isn't a rumour, it's how Japan Studio is structured. No different to how Uncharted 3's team worked on The Last of Us.

Yup. Japan Studio's structure today is a compromise of a formerly creatively rich studio with the production pipelines for few games ala big AAA studios.

So we have a sizeable amount of game-making creatives (Gavin, Ueda, Toyama, formerly Cerny, maybe more), but their games are always barely in development until their turn comes up and they can utilise the SCEJ machine to enter full production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom