• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mark Cerny's team (Knack) helping out on finishing The Last Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite part about this thread is that some people now appear genuinely concerned/worried over the revelation of Sony Japan employees working on a Sony Japan game.

KoopaTheCasual

Yeah, that's what I thought. "Team ICO" is literally just anybody who is available for Ueda to poach.

In fact I swear I remember a quote from Yoshida or someone a couple years back where they outright said in response to a TLG question that Japan Studio was busy making things like Knack and Puppeteer, implying that there were very little to no staff working on TLG out of a simple lack of personnel.
Yup. It's weird how people consistently forget how Studio Japan is structured. Here was the article you recalled.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/puppeteer-knack-priority-over-the-last-guardian-development

I think that rumor is a good choice for the resurrection of The Last Guardian, because after Knack, I think Mark wanted to resurrect The Last Guardian under Mr. Ueda's supervision and with his team and the first half of SCE Japan Studio's team to resurrect the game.
Now I know Knack is not the best platformer on the PlayStation 4, but this might be a good choice for the resurrection of the maybe-now-highly-anticipated game for the PlayStation 4.

RexNovis

Banned
Yeah, that's what I thought. "Team ICO" is literally just anybody who is available for Ueda to poach.

In fact I swear I remember a quote from Yoshida or someone a couple years back where they outright said in response to a TLG question that Japan Studio was busy making things like Knack and Puppeteer, implying that there were very little to no staff working on TLG out of a simple lack of personnel.

Yep. This is entirely accurate. They had to rely heavily on outsourcing parts of TLG development largely due to what one could assume was lack of available staff in Studio Japan thanks to the other projects in active development.

Saying "Team Cerny" is finishing TLG is incredibly misleading because

1. It implies that there is a specific group of developers (Team Ico and Team Cerny) in studio Japan that identify themselves as a unique predetermined cohesive groupnwho only work with each other. This is not how the studio operates at all.

2. It implies that they are coming in to "save" the title when as per general development procedure it would actually just be fully staffing and escalating development of the title

So yea this is not at all unexpected and borderlines on common sense territory when it comes to how Studio Japan works.

Seems like everyone is just happy to completely ignore me and the others here explaining that this is business as usual. *sigh*

Mononoke

Banned
I think that says more about the UK than it does about Mario.

Or that it actually qualifies as a game....

I don't think he was arguing that Knack was better than Mario. That it was ludicrous to say Knack barely qualified as a game.

Although not really sure how UK sales numbers backs that up either lol

Loudninja

From 2013:

Getting there, however, won't be that easy. Becker, who has been at the studio for two and half years, inherited something of a mess. "The thing I was shocked by was the number of titles in production," he said of when he first arrived. "That completely blew my mind." At that time, there were 40-something titles in production, and the environment was, what Becker called, "a free-for-all."
http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

fedexpeon

Banned
Cerny has his hands on everything Sony now, literally.
First, designed the Vita, save handhelds in Japan for Sony.
Second, designed the PS4, save Sony console domination.
Third, created Knack, Mario slayer in EU.

quesalupa

Can this be in the world as Knack? Oh and can all the characters be replaced with Knack ones? And can this game take place after the first Knack? Maybe rename the game Knack 2: The Last Guardian. Yeah that sounds good.

If this is true it only reinforces what I've been saying all along. The game, if it exists, is not the game we were shown at E3 all those years ago. Im indifferent to any of this.

Knack is thoroughly mediocre in every single way except perhaps graphics (and not artistically, but technically).

That's not to say it's a bad game. But it's not... a good game.

Edit: this rumor caused my TLG hype to plummet, lmao

It's almost like different games have different directors and design documents.

CrisKre

I'm sure Cerny's team is in charge of the gameplay design and gameplay mechanics of this long developed game that they're walking into to help finish it up.

/s
Its not so much the design I'm worried about, mostly apprehensive because Knack had awful hit detection. Also, the animations on Knack where horrid, but I'm sure that shouldn't be a concern in this case.

Mononoke

Banned
So we've come to the point where there are rumours of a studio supposedly working on one of their games. I sure hope it's true anyway.

I don't think people understood the situation w/ Cerny and how Studio Japan works. And oddly enough, a ton of people are ignoring all the posts explaining it.

Kind of amazed at how many posters are ignoring this, and talking about how shit Knack is, and how worried they are for the game now.

Knack was the first time Cerny directed a game I believe. He is usually into programing and design. Lets not forget he worked on Crash, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Spyro... The guy had an amazing track record. Ueda is probably directing TLG not Cerny. Chill out.

Game comes out, people complain about graphics and framerate, game bomba.

Seriously though: PLEASE be TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!LL!!!!!!
Mnhituvycfjcfvvkjvj.oubulighkjxhefztshckvkhtcjdjdjtrjdxrdrgjc4(4€.€64.57(

This isn't news, it's common sense if you understand how their Japan studio works. Like others have said, this is akin to stating: "Sony's Japan Studio is helping Japan Studio finish The Last Guardian."

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I couldn't care less about TLG, but I can't wait for it to come out just to see what the reaction is like after all this time. So I'm going to spend the rest of the evening praying that this rumor is true. That being said, TLG better not be their big E3 surprise. :mad:

LAA

Harsh to be concerned because of knack. Personally didn't think it was bad, it was OK I would say, but doesn't even matter. I'd be more concerned if knack was a technical mess, but it wasn't. However knack was or played has no bearing on TLG if they're involved, they're simply working towards a specification.

Yep. This is entirely accurate. They had to rely heavily on outsourcing parts of TLG development largely due to what one could assume was lack of available staff in Studio Japan thanks to the other projects in active development.

Saying "Team Cerny" is finishing TLG is incredibly misleading because

1. It implies that there is a specific group of developers (Team Ico and Team Cerny) in studio Japan that identify themselves as a unique predetermined cohesive groupnwho only work with each other. This is not how the studio operates at all.

2. It implies that they are coming in to "save" the title when as per general development procedure it would actually just be fully staffing and escalating development of the title

So yea this is not at all unexpected and borderlines on common sense territory when it comes to how Studio Japan works.

Seems like everyone is just happy to completely ignore me and the others here explaining that this is business as usual. *sigh*
Then how is this even a rumor. I admit I dont know shit about the sony japan team and thought they just through knack people on TLG project just to finish it. Had no idea a rumor OF, TLG developers are working on TLG lol.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah this much is clear. Most people probably don't know that Japan Studio exists. With their output last generation I can see that.

I edited my post. But im surprised at the amount of people that didn't read a lot of the posts clarifying things. Even a mod made a post explaining it on page 1.

I mean I understand people not reading every single page in a massive thread. But this is 3 pages, and explanations are on each page. Insane.

Rymuth

Ueda: "You got your Knack in my Last Guardian!"

Cerny: "You got your Last Guardian in my Knack!"

Shuhei: "Guys, guys....you're both right."

viveks86

I would take viveks86 quote out from the OP.
Too many want to be "insiders" pre-E3 as always.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. lol. You really will never let that go will you? I was wrong about that and never claimed any insider knowledge. Get over it.

Dysun

Just announce and release it, we already knew it wasn't going to live up to Ico/SOTC since the talent behind that is gone

Holy hell the hyperbole in here is sickening. Sure, Knack wasn't outstanding, but it was nowhere near as bad as some people would make out. I actually rather enjoyed it.

I couldn't care less about TLG, but I can't wait for it to come out just to see what the reaction is like after all this time. So I'm going to spend the rest of the evening praying that this rumor is true. That being said, TLG better not be their big E3 surprise. :mad:

What could possibly be bigger? They can announce bigger games(GT7, GOW4), but nothing they announce would outdo this besides FFVII Remake or that supposed Rockstar exclusive.

One day, when FF15 and TLG are released, I hope they come with a pack in DVD documentary called "Here's What the Fuck Happened"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom