• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR more DOA 5 Characters, possible PS4 port,Team Ninja going PS4 exclusive?

The day of console version Marie Rose is coming, and we still need more details on the new character, but is Team Ninja planning even more characters after?
"[EX] "5 Ultimate DEAD OR ALIVE: Arcade" the arcade version for home use as "DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate" is a success thanks to all of you. It also plans to add new characters, or to enjoy in the future!"

Now, you might be wondering several different things:

1. Will there be an Arcade version exclusive to the PS4?

My personal thoughts on this? I think there could be an Arcade Version for PS4, but I think we will get most of the content created on all platforms, just because it is not cheap to add a character.

The audience is definitely still active, and the tournament showings aren't bad. I don't see why they would make exclusive characters to PS4 when the PS3 and 360 are more plentiful.

2. Will TN start becoming exclusive to PS4 in the future?

There has already been a huge rumor pertaining to this and I think it's very possible. Also there hasn't been a big uproar on the possibility of it.

3. Which characters could next?

With Marie Rose, and another new female on the way we can probably expect someone like Yaiba from the new Ninja Gaiden spin-off, Miss Monday, Irene from Ninja Gaiden or demon boss Tengu from DOA2.

http://www.doaworld.com/forums/index.php?/page/index.html/_/doa-news/more-characters-on-the-way-r615

here's a link to the Dengeki article itself

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/798/798993/index-2.html

There is a bit of guess work going here, and If a GAFFER could provide a translation of the dengeki article that would be great.

TBH KOEI have gone Sony exclusive with their games so its not too far out to see this happening with Tecmo/Team Ninja.

Team Ninja is nothing without Itagaki. That said, until Devil's Third becomes something, Itagaki seems to be nothing without Team Ninja.

Wish they'd kiss and make up, but that's probably what got him in to trouble in the first place.

Team Ninja is nothing without Itagaki. That said, until Devil's Third becomes something, Itagaki seems to be nothing without Team Ninja.

Wish they'd kiss and make up, but that's probably what got him in to trouble in the first place.

DOA5 was fine without Itagaki. Except I liked the designs of the girls better back in Itagaki days...

MCD

Probably in Japan because I don't see Team Ninja saying no to all the DLC sales from DOA5.

Dantis

DOA5 is actually excellent.

Nah. Team Ninja proved themselves with DOA 5. They don't need Itagaki but would be better with him. Devils Third looks like trash anyway.

DOA5 is actually excellent.

It's good, and me saying they're 'nothing' without Itagaki was definitely hyperbole. But DOA5 just doesn't have the 'magic' or tongue-in-cheek fun of the Itagaki outings IMO. And Ninja Gaiden 3 speaks for itself, which - as a huge fan of the first 3D game - is probably why I'm being so harsh.

Galdelico

2. Will TN start becoming exclusive to PS4 in the future?
There has already been a huge rumor pertaining to this and I think it's very possible. Also there hasn't been a big uproar on the possibility of it.

Aw. Sounds so sad.

Would be nice to have a decent fighter on PS4.

In regard to the writers answer to exclusivity - I can't fathom why any 3rd party aside from small studios making niche JRPG's would go platform exclusive in this day and age. From a purely financial / business standpoint it makes little sense.

Anyway with that said bring on a new Ninja Gaiden for next gen!

Griss

Well, if they do announce a PS4 version soon, you guys can thank me as I just double-dipped and bought Ultimate, knowing that the second I did the next-gen version would probably be announced. Ultimate has been worth it, though. Really like the new characters, new stages and rebalances. It's great.

It's good, and me saying they're 'nothing' without Itagaki was definitely hyperbole. But DOA5 just doesn't have the 'magic' or tongue-in-cheek fun of the Itagaki outings IMO. And Ninja Gaiden 3 speaks for itself, which - as a huge fan of the first 3D game - is probably why I'm being so harsh.

DoA5 was initially a reposition of the series as something more serious. There's nothing wrong with that, but ultimately it was probably the wrong direction, and it's a direction that's incompatible with their focus on Bikini DLC and the likes. At the same time, the visual redesign of the characters was done as well as I've ever seen anyone do it, so that alone made it worth it. With Ultimate they've moved back towards more colourful stages and fun stages like Haunted Lorelei, and the game's ambience feels much more like a DoA now because of it.

But all that really matters is how well the game plays, and to me DoA5 has been a massive, massive improvement over DoA4 and DoA Dimensions. If they could get matchmaking and the net code up to the standards of the best fighting games then it would be close to perfect.

PirateKing

I'll actually buy DOA5 Ultimate Arcade on PS4. I still haven't bought it but going exclusive is unlikely and would be a dumb move.

Abriael

Banned
Just a heads up. The article is quite old, and they didn't hint to a DOA5 port. They just said that they are developing a PS4 game.

There's also absolutely no hint to exclusivity.

Seems odd to have team ninja producing exclusives on Sony's side. Don't they have a big Xbox fan base?

They've been mostly multiplat for a number of years now. Not sure they have an especially attached audience purely on Xbox consoles. Especially since, when it comes to the Ninja Gaiden series, its high point was nine years ago.

PirateKing

Just a heads up. The article is quite old, and they didn't hint to a DOA5 port. They just said that they are developing a PS4 game.

Would be great if they did. They obviously hinted Ninja Gaiden 4 (not in this article) so I'm assuming that's their next game on PS4/Xbone.

If they port it, I hope they at least let you transfer the costume DLCs from the ps3 version... Not likely though.

Bouncy boobs in 60fps 1080p will be glorious.

Imagine DOA 6 with real boob physics that respects the volume and cloth physics for nip slips. I'm not gonna buy it though because I'm not a pervert. Really, I'm not.

Atlas157

If they port it, I hope they at least let you transfer the costume DLCs from the ps3 version... Not likely though.

Imagine DOA 6 with real boob physics that respects the volume and cloth physics for nip slips. I'm not gonna buy it though because I'm not a pervert. Really, I'm not.

I believe you. We all play it for the story.

Yeah... story...

Id be all in for a PS4 DOA. Hayashit suprised me with that one.

I still think there is a possibility of a NG trilogy release as well.

I don't think they will become PS4 exclusive devs however.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

In regard to the writers answer to exclusivity - I can't fathom why any 3rd party aside from small studios making niche JRPG's would go platform exclusive in this day and age. From a purely financial / business standpoint it makes little sense.

some sweeteners from Sony might help. And games with huge amounts of DLC like DoA, maybe that starts to build up the cost of maintaining multiple platforms, and dealing with two sets of certification and publishing, hassle of one side or another requiring date parity etc.

I can see the business side creating enough of a barrier to justify exclusivity if the returns on other platforms are low enough.

iceatcs

I could see they go for PS4 only if they only can afford one platform. Can't see they staying last gens any longer.

Dantis

Id be all in for a PS4 DOA. Hayashit suprised me with that one.

I still think there is a possibility of a NG trilogy release as well.

I don't think they will become PS4 exclusive devs however.

Probably because Hayashi had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was directed by Shimbori.

Eusis

Depends on how XB1 does I imagine, but PS4's already ahead and XB1 is probably going to follow the trend of the platform in Japan so it may be enough of a market to cut off. Especially if the gulf increases outside of Japan.

Is ironic given how close Team Ninja once was, but then Xbox was strongest and Itagaki was in charge.

Ninja Dom

I'd like to know what goes into the high cost of adding a new character and how much a new character costs to develop.

Ninja Dom

Yeah the Dengeki article is from February 7th this year. Just under a month.

bidguy

Banned
honestly i dont even care anymore since hayashi fucked ninja gaiden up beyond repair anyways and i dont play fighters

team ninja might aswell become a doa factory now because that seems to be the only ip they can work with without turning it into shit

much more interested in itagakis game

Endo Punk

I wish they would move on from DOA5 now. I'm pretty much done with the game and want to see something new from them, or NG4. Anything that actually takes full advantage of next gen hardware rather than a port.

As for going exclusive I see this as a bad idea. Team Ninja has a dedicated fanbase on the Xbox from the OG days. They would just be leaving money on the table.

Some Nobody

Personally if it were a DoA 5 port I'd be kind of lost. Why not DoA 6?

Subaru

I love DoA series, but I'm so pissed with DoA 5.
Not because the game is bad, but because they've launched a better version with no "upgrade" option from the first version.

The saddest part is that one of my biggest complains about DOA 5 - the soundtrack - is way better on DoA 5 Plus (Vita) and the next one for PS3 because you can customize it.

That said, I also think that the backgrounds are also the soul of the series and they are pretty lame on DoA5.

Selvaria

Hayashi gets too much hate. Yes, NG3 sucked. But I think they did a good job addressing many of the issues with Razor's Edge. And DOA5 is amazing. I think they've proven themselves to be a capable studio even without Itagaki.

As for this rumor. I was always hoping for a PS4 port of DOA5, so I hope it's true. And as a PS4 owner and fan, I'm okay with them going PS4 exclusive too.

Endo Punk

Hiyashi needs to take a step back from Sigma and accept Itagaki perfected the formula wih NGB. Learn from that and improve upon it I mean he was somewhat involved with that game as well so it's not like he just doesn't understand what makes NG great.

Last gen with Japanese devs trying to westernise their franchise it definitely hurt the credibility of the franchise and the developer. I hope they make a fresh start this gen and actually appease and grow the fanbase instead of chasing a non existent one.

Ninja Gaiden needs to come back in black :p

Top Bottom