• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR more DOA 5 Characters, possible PS4 port,Team Ninja going PS4 exclusive?

Endo Punk

You know the funny thing about Itagaki is that he has yet to prove himself without Team Ninja, lol.... Seriously I miss his stamp on games and it sucks that Devil's Third is stuck in limbo :(

I want a new xtreme volleyball game :(

I secretly want one too

Finaika

Imagine DOA 6 with real boob physics that respects the volume and cloth physics for nip slips. I'm not gonna buy it though because I'm not a pervert. Really, I'm not.

Damn, this sounds awesome. I would kill for a DOA with realistic cloth physics.

I'd love that to, but I wonder whether physically simulated outfits are workable from a dlc business perspective.

Why not? It'd take less time to create an outfit since all you'd have to to is apply some material property to the costume and the game engine will take care of the physics. They just have to make sure the physics engine is bug-free so the costume don't suddenly fly away mid-game.

takoyaki

The article is from before the Japanese PS4 launch and they talk to Koei-Tecmo about their lineup for PS4 (Dynasty Warriors, Nobunaga). I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but this is the quote from your post:

【EX】家庭用『DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate』とそのアーケード版『DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate:Arcade』はおかげさまで盛況です。新キャラの追加も予定していますし、今後もお楽しみに!

which roughly translates to:

The home Version "DoA5 Ultimate" and it's Arcade Counterpart "DoA5 Ultimate: A" are enjoying success thanks to you (meaning the fans). We're planning/It is in the planning stage/ to add new characters. Have fun with the game from here on out/further!
(meaning "they will keep adding characters and they want people to keep playing the game)

I don't think they mentioned a PS4 version of DoA5 anywhere, but I just skimmed the rest.

I think they are going to do it, it makes sense and is a good way to learn how to use the PS4 hardware, after that maybe NG4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Seems odd to have team ninja producing exclusives on Sony's side. Don't they have a big Xbox fan base?

Yes, but Hayashi is a shameless Sony fanboy. I haven't bought a TN game since he instigated their shameful policy of using the money from their original 360-owning fans to release 'improved' versions of their games exclusively for Sony consoles.

DR2K

Banned
Yes, but Hayashi is a shameless Sony fanboy. I haven't bought a TN game since he instigated their shameful policy of using the money from their original 360-owning fans to release 'improved' versions of their games exclusively for Sony consoles.

Itagaki was a Xbox "fanboy".

NG2 was the only game that got an upgrade on ps3. 360 has since then been on equal parity as far as upgrades, dlc, etc is concerned with razors edge and Doa5u.

Skilletor

I don't see a developer saying in an interview that they might go exclusive. Translation seems iffy or outright false.

That being said, I'd be there day 1 for DoA (anything but a volleyball game) on ps4.

NG2 was the only game that got an upgrade on ps3. 360 has since then been on equal parity as far as upgrades, dlc, etc is concerned with razors edge and Doa5u.

So NG Sigma never existed?. I guess you are right, that piece crap should be erased from human history.

I thought we already knew this stuff (minus the ridiculous claim that a developer interview would reveal platform exclusivity).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Itagaki said he wanted to develop for the more powerful platform, which he did with Xbox, and Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by MS. Hayashi has no good reason for his hardon for PlayStation by comparison; or at least if he does, he hasn't explained it yet.

Either way, it doesn't forgive not releasing Sigma on Xbox.

Skilletor

Itagaki said he wanted to develop for the more powerful platform, which he did with Xbox, and Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by MS. Hayashi has no good reason for his hardon for PlayStation by comparison.

Maybe they want to develop on the more powerful platform. The circle is complete. :D

Also, holy shit, Maria Rose is FREE. Stay winning DoA team.

Grisby

Even though it's my favorite fighter, I'd have to pass on a ps4 port. Already bought the thing three times (original, vita, ultimate).

Itagaki said he wanted to develop for the more powerful platform, which he did with Xbox, and Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by MS. Hayashi has no good reason for his hardon for PlayStation by comparison.

just out of curiosity, do you know the guy?

the former had a "hardon" for the xbox, but the latter has no reason for having a "hardon" for the playstation brand?

were's that "stop liking what i don't like" pic

it would be appropriate

Skilletor

just out of curiosity, do you know the guy.

the former had a "hardon" for the xbox, but the latter has no reason for having a "hardon" for the playstation brand?

it would be appropriate

It's okay to develop for a specific platform as long as it fits with what I want. Let's ignore the fact that Itagaki went Xbox exclusive after I bought all of his games on ps1, ps2, and Dreamcast.

lol.

What do you mean. It's expected that a late port would be the better version. It's like saying Bioware has a hardon for PS for making ME2 better on PS3.

I might actually bite on PS4, i haven't bought the game yet. Mostly because all the DLC has been sorta intimidating, so if we get an all-in-one package for PS4 that would be nice.

Skilletor

I might actually bite on PS4, i haven't bought the game yet. Mostly because all the DLC has been sorta intimidating, so if we get an all-in-one package for PS4 that would be nice.

That probably wouldn't happen. The DLC you bought on ps3/vita would carry over, but they're not giving away the stuff they've already released. You might get a few preorder outfits, though.

Griss

That wouldn't happen. The DLC you bought on ps3/vita would carry over, but they're not giving away the stuff they've already released. You might get a few preorder outfits, though.

They'd probably do what they did between DoA5 and Ultimate, which is give away some more of the less popular DLC as part of the main game, while retaining the popular stuff (read: bikinis) as purchasable DLC only. Hopefully everything would still carry over if you'd already bought it, though.

I'd love to see the Halloween DLC included. That one was spectacular, but I'm not paying money for it.

Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach 3 would sell me a console (although 2 was a disappointment)
Team Ninja needs to make it happen.

So many of my gaming hours are spent on stuff like Style Savvy, Enhanced Character Edit in Skyrim, etc etc etc.

Griss

Wait, is that supposed to be the second new character? Because it's just Kasumi in a robe.

It's Kasumi Phase 4 Alpha from DoA5, and it does appear that she's the new character from that famitsu page, anyway.

She was the 'main character' of DoA5 in a lot of ways, and a version of her functioned as the final boss, who could shapeshift between the ninjas. Pretty cool final boss, I liked that it wasn't some cheap shit but was still a normal fight instead, while at the same time being new (it could shift between characters during combos, for example).

Have no idea how that will transfer into a new character, and it isn't very exciting, but oh well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
just out of curiosity, do you know the guy?

it would be appropriate
No it wouldn't. I mean maybe he does have a reason to prefer Sony's consoles, but he's never said it. The difference is that Itagaki has explained it.

Either way, it does not excuse him taking the money that 360 players spent on NG2 and using it to develop an 'improved' version for the PS3. That's a very effective way to lose customer loyalty.
What do you mean. It's expected that a late port would be the better version. It's like saying Bioware has a hardon for PS for making ME2 better on PS3.

They added an enormous amount of extra content to both versions, not just a few minor changes a la ME2.

Skilletor

No it wouldn't. I mean maybe he does have a reason to prefer Sony's consoles, but he's never said it. The difference is that Itagaki has explained it.

Either way, it does not excuse him taking the money that 360 players spent on NG2 and using it to develop an 'improved' version for the PS3. That's a very effective way to lose customer loyalty.

They added an enormous amount of extra content to both versions, not just a few minor changes a la ME2.

360 players got every update for NG3 and DoA5. Yaiba is coming out on 360. What about all those people who bought DoA2 on ps2 and DC? DAMN ITAGAKI FOR USING MY MONEY TO FUND A GAME ON A DIFFERENT CONSOLE!!!!

If they wanted to put the game out on ps3, they had to add extra content per sony's rules on late ports. Where's this brand loyalty of which you speak?

ShinAmano

Only way I would triple dip on a next gen version us if it includes all of the dlc content on the disc...and we know that is not happening.

The idea that Hayashi has some sinister vendetta against Microsoft is laughable. Once the door hit Itagaki's ass on his way out, the only smart thing to do was focus on a platform where Japanese games actually sell.

...Not that they ended up selling well anyway, but focusing on XBOX was a losing proposition from the start. If it weren't for Itagaki's hubris, maybe Dead or Alive would be a franchise comparable in stature to Capcom or Sega's stuff.

Instead, it spent an entire generation (the same generation where the market leader sold 100m+ consoles) on a relatively niche hardcore dude-box that nobody in Japan knew existed and nobody in America bought for Japanese games.

Hopefully DOA6 comes out early enough that it isn't once again overshadowed like what TTT2 did to DOA5.

Skilletor

The idea that Hayashi has some sinister vendetta against Microsoft is laughable. Once the door hit Itagaki's ass on his way out, the only smart thing to do was focus on a platform where Japanese games actually sell.

...Not that they ended up selling well anyway, but focusing on XBOX was a losing proposition from the start. If it weren't for Itagaki's hubris, maybe Dead or Alive would be a franchise comparable in stature to Capcom or Sega's stuff.

Instead, it spent an entire generation (the same generation where the market leader sold 100m+ consoles) on a relatively niche hardcore dude-box that nobody in Japan knew existed and nobody in America bought for Japanese games.

Hopefully DOA6 comes out early enough that it isn't once again overshadowed like what TTT2 did to DOA5.

^

But I'm fine with where DoA is now. I can't think of anything not named Street Fighter that's received as much post release support and content as this game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I didn't say Hayashi has a sinister vendetta against MS though, Leonard. I said that he has a clear hardon for Sony. I think he even said so when NG Sigma was in development (perhaps not in those words [although given that he was trained by Itagaki, maybe precisely in those words]).

Endo Punk

I didn't say Hayashi has a sinister vendetta against MS though, Leonard. I said that he has a clear hardon for Sony. I think he even said so when NG Sigma was in development (perhaps not in those words [although given that he was trained by Itagaki, maybe precisely in those words]).

I do think it was a slap on the face of the fanbase to make Sigma games PS3 exclusive. Even Kojima didn't do that when he made MGS2 Substance.

2. Will TN start becoming exclusive to PS4 in the future?
There has already been a huge rumor pertaining to this and I think it's very possible. Also there hasn't been a big uproar on the possibility of it.

Aw. Sounds so sad.
Well, have you seen how MS consoles historically do there?

Prelude.

Seems odd to have team ninja producing exclusives on Sony's side. Don't they have a big Xbox fan base?
It was more like that Itagaki hates Sony because reasons. At least now they have a chance of being a bit more successful since they're not tied to the failing platform in Japan anymore.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Itagaki did it with DoA3.

Well that was lame too, I guess. I suppose the reason I didn't pick up on that is that I've never cared for DOA.

Either way, it's a lame practice. [edit] And it'll only continue if Team Ninja now swap to making game only on PS4. Big part of the reason they've never been a triple A developer to be honest.

Endo Punk

Itagaki did it with DoA3.

DOA3 was a brand new game on a brand new hardware. The franchise has jumped around from Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast and PS2. Really hard to create a fanbase when you have to buy so many systems to keep track.

Xbox finally became a home for Team Ninja because Itagaki wanted best hardware. The fanbase for the games grew on Xbox so to make the Sigma games exclusive to PS3 I can see why it would annoy the core fans.

Anyway its history now and NG and DOA are multiplatform games. Going back to exclusive to either system wouldn't make sense financially.

Skilletor

Well that was lame too, I guess. I suppose the reason I didn't pick up on that is that I've never cared for DOA.

Either way, it's a lame practice. [edit] And it'll only continue if Team Ninja now swap to making game only on PS4. Big part of the reason they've never been a triple A developer to be honest.

Yeah, it's an extremely lame practice, but at least for Sigma there's a reason. I care much less about NG than I do DoA, and putting DoA exclusively on one console (any fighter) really hurts the community. I personally don't care where NG or whatever else Tecom Koei makes ends up, but DoA shouldn't be exclusive to a single platform.

DOA3 was a brand new game on a brand new hardware. The franchise has jumped around from Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast and PS2. Really hard to create a fanbase when you have to buy so many systems to keep track.

Xbox finally became a home for Team Ninja because Itagaki wanted best hardware. The fanbase for the games grew on Xbox so to make the Sigma games exclusive to PS3 I can see why it would annoy the core fans.

Anyway its history now and NG and DOA are multiplatform games. Going back to exclusive to either system wouldn't make sense financially.

Your argument is that it's hard to create a fanbase when so many games are being released on so many systems, you then go on to say Xbox became a "home" for Team Ninja. I fail to see how, if this rumor were true, the same couldn't be said for the PS4.

For example: DoA6 is a brand new game on brand new hardware. The franchise has jumped around on various consoles. Really hard to create a fanbase when you have to buy so many systems to keep track. PS4 is the home for Team Ninja because Hayashi wants the best hardware.

Endo Punk

Your argument is that it's hard to create a fanbase when so many games are being released on so many systems, you then go on to say Xbox became a "home" for Team Ninja. I fail to see how, if this rumor were true, the same couldn't be said for the PS4.

For example: DoA6 is a brand new game on brand new hardware. The franchise has jumped around on various consoles. Really hard to create a fanbase when you have to buy so many systems to keep track. PS4 is the home for Team Ninja because Hayashi wants the best hardware.

3rd party exclusives weren't a money sink a decade ago. Next gen costs wont make it easy to go exclusive unless Team Ninja gets Sony or MS to publish their games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just want some videogame boobs for my PS4. If that comes in the form of a DOA5 port, cool. If that comes in the form of a new DOAX with mediocre minigames, cool. If that comes in the form of DOA6, that's extremely cool.

There is in fact no combination or form DOA could take on PS4 that would disappoint me, even if it was F2P with microtransactions (assuming that they follow the excellent model set by Core Fighters where they rotate characters). DOA is the only game I've played that has proven that devs can make money off the F2P model without screwing over players.

This is only good news and my PS4 will be eagerly awaiting TN's arrival.

Top Bottom