• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] MS France: 36.2 Millions of Xbox One sold worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Fake, According to Sony the PS4 is outselling the XBO at 3:1 ratio in Europe, Whe have the estimates of the NPD and they are death is Japan... Or Maybe they are selling millions in Brazil and India, China?

I actually wonder about China. China is the second biggest market for Surface. MS has had a presence there for like 25 years. I have no idea what Sony or MS does there for consoles. I imaged nothing compared to PC.

bombshell

Is it plausible that the US percentage of WW sales is under 50%? Which would be the case if these numbers are true.

Nope, we get the occassional numbers from big European markets like Spain, France, Germany and Italy. In those markets the Xbox One is performing very badly compared to PS4, +5:1. There's really nowhere that Xbox One can gain so high numbers from.

I could see this being shipped numbers. Didn't people estimate ~29 million after the BC usage stats came out?

Retailers will not buy that many consoles into the channels.

I could see this being shipped numbers. Didn't people estimate ~29 million after the BC usage stats came out?

No, people use the 30m estimation to gauge if the numbers of hours Ms gave matched that study.

That's 6 million higher than I thought, wait so its not 2:1 playstation. Why didn't they announce this, actively not announcing it has hurt them people were thinking it was under 30 million. I wonder by how much the X will increase those sales.

From the looks of those slides this is a presentation for investors/developers, so they are announcing it to the folks that needs those numbers.

Majmun

36.2m, 5 months before One X launch, Sony might lose their lead if they are not careful by 2018.

A $499 console is totally going to close the gap

Sony can stop selling the Ps4 and MS will still have trouble reaching 60mln consoles sold.

Clive

Their Halo 2 and Kinect Adventures numbers add up exactly to chartz numbers. Kinect Adventures also seems to have the official number of 24 million while they use 21.9 million which is chartz' number. The Halo 2 number definitely seems off too but I'm struggling to find something more official.

sirronoh

They didn't announce it because the number is either shipped or not true at all. It doesn't mesh with any data we have, which points to it being heavily incorrect.

Also, I don't think MS is going to announce any sales milestones anytime soon.

Agreed. From the data that salesgaf has compiled and tracked over the last several years, these numbers are significantly higher than most worldwide estimates. They are either incorrect or shipped. It's incredibly unlikely they are sold-through.

Xbox 360 had the lead over the PS3 and that caught up. I can see a similar situation happening this gen as well.

No way.

Especially with their lacking first party games and the fact that its still the Xbone brand does not help either.

The shit from 2013 haunts them to this day.

EmiPrime

I know MS love a bit of channel stuffing but 36m seems unrealistic. They're being outsold between 3:1 and 4:1 everywhere in Europe (UK excepted, insert joke here) and NPD results haven't been kind this year either.

They gave windows for free, but to a portion that almost never bought new windows. The crude of the sales (OEM PCs and corporation licenses) were unaffected by that giveaway.

What truly hurt it, is that the sales from OEMs are dwelling down, (hence why they entered in the hardware market with the surface line, to reignite OEMs to compete with apple and google's offerings). I have no idea about the business market for windows is declining or not though.
Interesting. So is this companies just not upgrading their Windows anymore, or consumers buying less PCs/laptops so there are less Windows licenses sold through hardware vendors?

MaulerX

I would love to see OTHER defined. Half their revenue was Office and Server/Azure but their OTHER is nearly 20%, what could it be? Surface and Xbox are separate so...accessories? No.

Believe it or not they make a ton from Android with all the royalty deals they struck with a ton of companies that use their patents etc...

Akai__

Would be great, if they could just announce the amount of units they are selling again.

The secrecy about it is dumb.

Cranster

Banned
There are alot of people on Gaf who think they have more accurate numbers than Microsoft, lol.

Thats not bad though for Microsoft if true, better than I even expected it to be.

For peoples estimates of Xbox One sales to be off, the console would have to be less than 50% share in the US vs. the world. That seems almost impossible.

Fiendcode

I'd say fake because I'm pretty sure the 360 sold more than 85 million
Nope. The last official figure we had was 84 million in June 2014 so these numbers don't seem off base at all.

Also worth noting the last official figure Microsoft gave on OG Xbox was just 24m so these are slightly higher. This looks legit imo.

I've never kept track of console sales, is the XBO still outpacing the 360 in sales? I thought I read that it was earlier in the generation. If it is, where was the 360 at this point of it's life cycle?
Through June 30, 2009 Xbox 360 was at 31.5m so Xbox One is still ahead. Of course in 2010 360 had it's casual boom with the Kinect and Netflix combo driving sales so we'll have to see if One can keep it's lead or not. My guess is no unless One X is an unexpectedly significant driver.

Whatever happens they should get out of this gen with a very healthy install base to push on with to the next. From the disaster of the launch period I think that shows Xbox is very alive and well and not closing shop any minute now!

Nope, we get the occassional numbers from big European markets like Spain, France, Germany and Italy. In those markets the Xbox One is performing very badly compared to PS4, +5:1. There's really nowhere that Xbox One can gain so high numbers from.
Don't know about numbers, but xbone is relatively big here in Brazil.

Sony prices, for both console and games are higher, and IIRC, it was said a few years ago that Brazil even surpassed UK.

I wouldn't doubt if there is at least 1 million xbones in brazil alone.

Anticol

Banned
There are alot of people on Gaf who think they have more accurate numbers than Microsoft, lol.

Thats not bad though for Microsoft if true, better than I even expected it to be.

Well the thing is people have npd numbers for Sony, and Sony is ahead of microsoft in the US by around 2 million, not only that, they have the number of consoles sold in Europe, and if you combine the data the estimate is around 28 to 31 million. MS is dead in Japan, they have sold like 50k consoles there, this report claims they have sold 36, so either they mean shipped, which is still a bit too high or MS has a secret market which is bigger than the UK one which was(is) considered their second biggest market.

wapplew

Sony prices, for both console and games are higher, and IIRC, it was said a few years ago that Brazil even surpassed UK.

Don't forget New Zealand.

Interesting. So is this companies just not upgrading their Windows anymore, or consumers buying less PCs/laptops so there are less Windows licenses sold through hardware vendors?

I honestly have no idea about the first part, but the second part definitely happened, and still is.

Likely it's both, with some business moving to linux, schools to chromebooks etc.

I can believe this number and it's unfortunately really low in comparison to the PS4.

The Xbox console franchise has struggled quite a lot this gen, they screwed really bad at the start which still has left it's mark on the Xbox console franchise.

It's significantly different compared to what happened in the last console generation where the 360 led out of the two, and Nintendo was on top, but I dont think the 360 lead by an amount as significant as the PS4 is doing now.

Tratorn

Yeah because Ms never tried to spin the numbers ;)

You can't spin a sales number like this. It must be either true or it is an error.
And those are still shipped numbers, so "sold through" probably would be at 32m or so. That's better than expected but not too much away from the 2:1 for PS4 in sold through sales.

Brazil surpassed the UK in what ?
Can't be consoles sold cause PS4 and XB1 have sold way over 1 million there.

Xbox 360 had the lead over the PS3 and that caught up. I can see a similar situation happening this gen as well.

The 360 still outsold the PS3 by the time next gen started.

Regardless, Microsoft can't replicate what Sony did because they're simply not equipped for it.

Last gen, they had a product that launched a year earlyier, that was cheaper and was better for third party games. They also had the benefit of a strong brand name with 360 and were aggressively pushing their first party lineups.

Sony managed to comeback because they made it all about what people really cared about: games. They adopted better policies and services and gave a tremendous first party output that remained consistent. While the 360 was a beast, first party did ramp down on Microsoft's end, whereas Sony did not stop pushing until the very end, utilising every resource to offer gamers the best experiences they could offer.

Xbox does not have the benefit of being a beloved brand worldwide. It does not have the benefit of a stellar and diverse first party stable supporting the platform. It does not have the benefit of being run by people that understand the market - I mean really understand beyond allaying fears and concerns with insincere lip service, and know what it'll really take to earn back the trust of consumers.

This generation was lost to Microsoft before it even started, and I don't think they ever deserved to win it back, despite Sony making some frustrating decisions.

Next generation might be a different question but I still expect Sony to win so long as Microsoft refuses to learn all the lessons it needs to learn and sticks to them.

Yeah because Ms never tried to spin the numbers ;)

the difference is non GAAP and GAAP numbers
$6.6bn deferred revenue associated with Windows 10 in 2016

those numbers are from a survey and include imported consoles
that are no sales numbers

JlNX

So I guess we underestimated how well Xbox was doing outside of North America, I guess places like South America are maybe doing well for them? It seems they are official numbers that come from Microsofts website apparently, only MS would know all those sales numbers. It seems the ps3 did eventually outsell the 360 going by those numbers.

Edit: people saying one could outsell ps4, how would that be possible even 360 that was the dominate console last gen was outsold by ps3. One doesn't have anywhere near the market hold of 360, especially compared to ps4s gained market hold compared to last gen. It's impossible, could they have a far smaller gap then we thought by the end of this gen? maybe.

gamz

Whatever happens they should get out of this gen with a very healthy install base to push on with to the next. From the disaster of the launch period I think that shows Xbox is very alive and well and not closing shop any minute now!

Eh. I'd argue they kind of already have the past couple of years with growing XBL, One S, One X, BC and it's overall eco-system.

MaulerX

You can't spin a sales number like this. It must be either true or it is an error.
And those are still shipped numbers, so "sold through" probably would be at 32m or so. That's better than expected but not too much away from the 2:1 for PS4 in sold through sales.

But why would they be comparing shipped numbers (XBO) with the sale thru numbers of OG Xbox and 360? We definitely need more clarification on this.

Seems to me that the system is just doing a little better than people thought and there's definitely more parts of the world that we are not accounting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom