• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR - New Nintendo Trademark Possibly for Gameboy Classic Mini? (ANN via Livedoor)

Tu101uk

Strange that I found this on AnimeNewsNetwork but hey ho...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/inte...rk-stirs-speculation-of-mini-game-boy/.122536
Nintendo filed a trademark in Japan on September 15 that is leading some to speculate that a Mini Game Boy console release could be on the horizon. Nintendo's trademark includes an image resembling the company's original handheld gaming device and it was filed under categories for "Programs for household video game machines" and "Household video games" as well as merchandise categories like "Key chains," "Bag charms," "Cosmetic tools," and "Clothing."
Their source is a Japanese Livedoor article which in turn sources from a twitter feed about new trademarks filed.
HVPomb8.png

Change batteries if old/fake...

Orb

I hope Gameboy Color counts as Gameboy cause I'd rather have Links Awakening DX and maybe Pokemon Crystal 👀

I can't think of many Gameboy games that I'd want to go back and play.

Maybe
Link's Awakening
Pokemon
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Kirby's Dream Land

that's about it

All these mini announcements are making me so friggin' thirsty for Switch Virtual Console. Remember when the Wii launched with the service?

Jumpman23

Not too sure I’d wanna go back to the monochrome palette, the blur and lack of a backlight. Some great games but the visuals and audio aren’t the greatest. I’d prefer we hop straight to a micro GBA with 30+ games. Better library of games IMO too.

Orb

Hoping it's a transparent purple model.
Comes with a hulk doll reprint

Not too sure I’d wanna go back to the monochrome palette, the blur and lack of a backlight. Some great games but the visuals and audio aren’t the greatest. I’d prefer we hop straight to a micro GBA with 30+ games. Better library of games IMO too.
I hope it'll do the thing the Gameboy Color allows when you play a GB game and give you premade color palettes to choose from.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How many Gameboy games are actually worth revisiting?

Tetris
Mario Land
Mario Land 2
Link's Awakening (which had better be the DX version)
Pokemon
Metroid II (despite the remake being infinitely more enjoyable to play)

i'm drawing a blank.

They get a few more titles with the Game Boy Color, but even then... eh.

redcrayon

Honestly, with retro awareness of Nintendo riding high at the moment off of SNES classic and the Switch with Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario, Street Fighter 2, Tetris, Bomberman etc, the best thing they could do is get a Game Boy classic out next Autumn.

Zalman

How many Gameboy games are actually worth revisiting?

Tetris
Mario Land
Mario Land 2
Link's Awakening
Pokemon
Metroid II (despite the remake being infinitely more enjoyable to play)

i'm drawing a blank.
Kirby 1 and 2
Donkey Kong '94
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Wario Land 1-3
Kid Icarus 2
Mega Man V
Metal Gear Ghost Babel

Eusis

A Game Boy classic should probably be GB + GBC. It'd probably need all the FFL games to make me want to go for it if just GB.

pswii60

I thought the Gameboy was a piece of shit when I got one at age 10 in 1991. A monochrome green-screened piece of crap. I suppose I had a little fun with Tetris, Mario and even perhaps Fortress of Fear. But I quickly went back to my beloved C64.

I remember being jealous of my friend's colourful Sega GameGear at the time, even if it did have 15 minutes battery life.

But honestly, I never got the love for the GameBoy. Mine gathered much dust and in the end I gave it to my niece.

Edit: I really liked the GBA though.

JCX

Expected, makes more sense than the 64 Mini right now. Wonder if it'll have link cables for nostalgia or just use wireless connections.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't wait for this to come out and people to realize the Game Boy library isn't that great. Aside from DK 94, Zelda and Pokemon, lots and lots of shallow, short experiences.

PSOreo

In all honesty this classic console makes the least sense. Wouldn’t people rather have an application they could download on their phones like the several dodgey ones already out there?

redcrayon

Coming up with 30 or even 20 Game Boy games worth putting on here is going to be a stretch...
Really?

20 GB games is fairly easy. My top ten (tried for a bit of variety:)

DK '94
Link's Awakening
Mario Land
Mega Man V
Tetris
Kirby' Dream Land
Bionic Commando
Contra: Operation C/Probotector
Mystic Quest/ FF Adventure
Gradius: Interstellar Assault

There's over a thousand GB games. Licensing is a bigger issue than finding 20 good ones.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ehhhhhhhhhh

Should just skip to GBA

Yes, I'd much rather have a GB, GBC, GBA all-in-one GB collection. But maybe GB/GBC has too many classics to be combined with GBA.

If this were a full-size portable device (and not a keychain or something), I wonder what the battery life would be like these days.

Gartooth

It should include the Gameboy Color games too since I don't see Nintendo releasing a separate device just for it.

Anyways unsurprising if this one comes next. It predates the N64 if we are following release order.

Top Bottom