• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR - New Nintendo Trademark Possibly for Gameboy Classic Mini? (ANN via Livedoor)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
A GB ultra slim (like credit card sized) with stupid long battery life and oodles of games would be great.

Chinbo37

Waiting for that n64 mini. I would also consider a game boy color.

I still have my ds lite so I don't need a gba mini and og game boy is just too old for me.

dickroach

first party:
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Super Mario Land 1
Super Mario Land 2: something gold coins
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Wario Land 2
Tetris
Zelda: Links Awakening
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Metroid II
Kid Icarus
Donkey Kong 94
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Dr Mario
Mario Picross
Baseball
Golf
Tennis

third party:
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend
FF Legend 2
FF LEgend 3
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5

....meh

Mik2121

Can't wait for this to come out and people to realize the Game Boy library isn't that great. Aside from DK 94, Zelda and Pokemon, lots and lots of shallow, short experiences.
Uhh....

Tetris
Batman
Pokemon Red/Blue
Super Mario Land
Metroid
Wario Land
Donkey Kong Land
Zelda: Link's Awakening

... shit, you might be right. I mean, there are some other good games, but most of the cool Game Boy stuff I can think of now are mainly GBColor or GBA. It'd be nice to get a sweet GBA Mini with games released on GB/GBC/GBA.

javac

Do you think that it'll have TV out?

EDIT: This makes no sense, I'm tired, ignore, but I'll leave this here so you can all laugh.

A Gameboy Classic with a backlit screen and built in games would be a day one purchase for me. As much as I loved the ideas behind the NES/SNES Classic, I didn't want to devote space in my entertainment center to them. A portable on the other hand would be an absolute no-brainer.

Please Nintendo!

Zalman

In all honesty this classic console makes the least sense. Wouldn’t people rather have an application they could download on their phones like the several dodgey ones already out there?
There's a reason why NES and SNES Classic sold despite those games already being widely accessible.

This would be a big deal. A new Game Boy with the original GB/GBC design would set the mainstream on fire.

NoKisum

All in for this.

I realized that I've connected with Nintendo's handhelds more than their consoles, having only owned a Gamecube, Wii U, and Switch. Plus, I've been wanting to collect handheld systems anyway.

Though I'd prefer to just own all these games on Switch.

rudger

How many different variations should they make if they release this? There were so many popular models and screens.

...also what games? That’ll be an interesting list

gunstarhero

Please include Phantasy Star Card Battle.

It'll never happen, but please do it anyway.

Edit - ug...read the title as Gamecube. Nevermind.

TedHub

Banned
I cannot stress this enough, Mole Mania's gotta be on this thing. Way underappreciated-- deserves a second chance for certain

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, I'd much rather have a GB, GBC, GBA all-in-one GB collection. But maybe GB/GBC has too many classics to be combined with GBA.

If this were a full-size portable device (and not a keychain or something), I wonder what the battery life would be like these days.

This right here. A GB-only would be nothing desirable. Include the others and it would be great.

Between physical gameboy carts and Nintendo 3DS virtual console I own basically every gameboy cart I would possibly want.

SML1,2&3
Links awakening
Metroid 2
Square title (if just 1 then likely FFL3, if two add FFA)
Capcom title (mega man 5 or there would be hell to pay)
Konami title (castlevania legends just as an F-u to the cart price)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong land
Pokémon. (Though how I have no clue)

Now, throw in GBC and then we talk.
Opens up to include:
Zelda: oracle series
Metroid 2’s GBC release that never happened...
Crystalis
Dragon warrior (any of the three gameboy releases)
Shantae (niche, but way forward and capcom would play ball)

There just aren’t that many first party titles to really get the game count up there.

Zalman

Nintendo always lump GB and GBC together, and their physical designs are nearly identical. There's no way it would be GB alone IMO.

pswii60

Why would you skip over the superior system?
Your vision is clouded with the thickest fog of rose tint the world has ever seen if you really believe that. But we both know you are posting in jest, because we both know the GBA also plays GB games.

Would need to have a color backlit screen to consider this. Also, outside of a few titles I enjoyed on the system it didn't have much that appealed to me.

_Ryo_

Should be GBA so that you can put games from each generation of Gameboy on it.

10 Gameboy Games
10 Game Boy Color Games
10 Game Boy Advance games

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd prefer it if they made it sized like the GB Pocket or GBC, rather than the original GB tbh.

RedSwirl

Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with only 15 or even 10 games. Probably lower price than NES and SNES.

Tetris (the cornerstone game in the public eye)
DK94
A Donkey Kong Land game
A Mario Land game (I'm hoping for ML2)
A Pokemon game
Link's Awakening
One of those Kirby games
Mole Mania
Dr. Mario
A Wario Land game
Yoshi
Metroid II

No idea what else. I'd hope for Metal Gear but I'm not holding my breath.

Ehhhhhhhhhh

Should just skip to GBA

GBA isn't nearly as iconic to the mainstream consumer Nintendo has been selling these things to. I'm not even sure there are that many GBA games that enjoy iconic mainstream status that aren't just SNES ports.

Zalman

Should be GBA so that you can put games from each generation of Gameboy on it.

10 Gameboy Games
10 Game Boy Color Games
10 Game Boy Advance games
Part of the appeal of this for the mainstream would be the original Game Boy form factor, so throwing GBA in there would be odd. Plus you'd miss out on a ton of great games. I'd rather see GBA get its own separate system later.

DCharlie

what if ....

.... it's just a portable slim retro machine that plays GB/NES/SNES that has Gameboy stylings ? :O

Stick 4 buttons on that sucker, make various different design models, give 20-30 games away on each model and change the rom set per machine so people buy multiple units.

redcrayon

what if ....

.... it's just a portable slim retro machine that plays GB/NES/SNES that has Gameboy stylings ? :O

Stick 4 buttons on that sucker, make various different design models, give 20-30 games away on each model and change the rom set per machine so people buy multiple units.
Because much like the SNES classic model being different to match the US/EU market, if you're going to sell on nostalgia detail matters. It needs to look like a GameBoy, not a knock-off rom dump with extra buttons.

DCharlie

It needs to look like a GameBoy, not a knock-off rom dump with extra buttons

but ultimately.... that's what it is going to be lol

as per the 3DS SNES themed unit , it can be done.

if they make a honest to god Gameboy Lite style machine i'd applaud it but the irony will be that the yellowy-white and black LCD will be a full color display, so why not look at other angles?

Davey Cakes

I think it'd be pretty sweet to have a dedicated system the shape and size of the Game Boy Pocket that's pre-loaded with 30-40 of the best GB/GBC games that you can play either in B&W, Color, or with that really "green" sort of color of the very original Gameboy.

With something like this, it's just as much about the "experience" as it is the "convenience" so I'm not thinking they'll release some tiny thing like the GBA Micro. Replicating the feel of a GB is important, just like with the NES and SNES controllers that come with those systems. The smallest they should go is something the size of an iPhone 4.

Guys, let's try and guess how long the battery life for a device that only has to play GB games will be. Do we know if it'll have updated versions with online play or anything like that (akin to the rereleased Pokemon games on VC) or even have wifi?

Alastor3

Kid-Dracula.jpg

I only want that game

Top Bottom