• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: No physical release for Batman: Arkham Knight PC

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I'm in switzerland, i guess it could be different in shouthern europe and france but i know it's similar in germany and eastwards.

Yeah here in Switzerland, PC games shelves are still a thing. And you can even get retail versions for "small" indie games, so it's not limited to AAA stuff either.

Surprised they still make physical versions of PC games. Only one shelf for PC games over here.

I welcome our digital overlords.

georly

Awww :/ I got mordor for pc physical on sale w/ gamer's club unlocked for a little under 20. Was hoping to do something similar for baman. Oh well.

Prices will get higher now there is a digital monopoly. No way to strip retail codes and resell.

I actually see physical releases becoming more relevant to me as I don't want to download 50gb games. It ties up my connection for days.

Man... As much as I like digital copies, nothing compares to a well done physical PC box release. Love having them on my shelf.

By "well done" in today's standards I mean a game disc and a manual that isn't a leaflet, and is an actual manual.

Yeah here in Switzerland, PC games shelves are still a thing. And you can even get retail versions for "small" indie games, so it's not limited to AAA stuff either.
Same in the UK. I saw gone home, goat simulator and a bunch of other noteworthy indie titles at GAME. The PC selection was actually quite reasonable. Bigger than Vita or WiiU

no maam

Banned
If I had a horrible Internet connection, or a low data cap, I would be upset. But my recent build doesn't even have an optical drive, so no matter what I'm inclined to download.

Sarcasm? We don't get manuals anymore. We hardly get pamphlets. The standard edition for Dragon Age came with nothing but the disc and cover art, and on the inside cover was the manual. lol

They really are trying to cut corners this generation.

In the beginning of the 360 generation/during the first Xbox's life, there were many debates about games going digital with HDDs being standard. A common argument was that people wouldn't be getting the full game-owning experience since they cant smell the manual.

styl3s

I didn't even know they still released PC games physically.
Very, very, very small section in Target and Best Buy here. Best Buy is probably the worst to buy games these days at least here because they keep everything in this little cage and the workers have stopped putting display cases to bring up they only put out a hand full of new ones and 0 PC ones so you have to go up and ask if they have it in stock and 100/100 times you ask here they never know what the fuck you are talking about and you have to go up to the cage with them and watch them fight this lock on it for 5 minutes only to spend another 5 minutes looking for the game. It's the worst.

Target has like 1 shelf for new PC games and its only ever like the newest Call of Duty or Assassins Creed.

Sarcasm? We don't get manuals anymore. We hardly get pamphlets. The standard edition for Dragon Age came with nothing but the disc and cover art, and on the inside cover was the manual. lol

They really are trying to cut corners this generation.
They all come with digital manuals and it literally takes 2 seconds to google control schemes etc. Personally i am glad they cut back because it's a waste of paper. You don't need a manual with Madden or Call of Duty or Assassins Creed and by the time you are done with forced tutorials you don't need one with JRPG's etc. They make big CE guides and stuff for people who want the art and guides and information.

RedSwirl

How big is the download going to be?

I've actually had to go back to physical for some big AAA PC games. I'm buying GTA V on disc because there's no way I'm going to be able to download 65 gigs off of Steam.

So far, no massive games have gone digital-only. The closest thing I can think of is Alien: Isolation, which doesn't have a physical PC version in North America and is 30GB.

Zalusithix

The only physical copies of PC games that I've gotten in the last decade plus have been a hand full of LEs and Kickstarter reward tiers. It's not really surprising to see the boxed game go the way of the dodo. Rather, it's harder to understand how they've managed to hold on for so long on a digital distribution dominated platform. Especially given that the physical copies are generally garbage compared to what you got back in the day.

deadman69

Same in the UK. I saw gone home, goat simulator and a bunch of other noteworthy indie titles at GAME. The PC selection was actually quite reasonable. Bigger than Vita or WiiU

this hasn't been the case for the Game stores i've been to. its only been wow expansions and a few garbage games. it's been a while since i've been in one so thing might have changed.

If you live in mainland europe PC shelves are still as big as console shelves.

crazy! i had no idea!

i had been out of PC gaming for ~10 years, and when i went to buy Titanfall [among others] i was shocked to see not a single store stocked PC games anymore...

jealous of y'all's boxes!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you come to Europe you'd discover that HUGE numbers of PC games are released on disc including low cost indie titles you'd never expect to find. It's quite something.

edit - looks like someone beat me to the punch. Yes, PC game selections are HUGE over here. The PC section at a local Saturn, for instance, is actually larger than all of the console shelves put together.

Santar

Seeing as the pc version uses steam there's really no point in a physical version anyways (unless you have really slow internet).

Seeing as the pc version uses steam there's really no point in a physical version anyways (unless you have really slow internet).

Come on, the thread is less than two pages long. Others have already explained this: the prices in European Steam are stupidly high which drives people to buy cheaper retail copies.

Yeah, they're Steam keys in a box - that makes them even better because you get all the benefits of Steam while paying the lower price of a retail copy.

Darkroronoa

As an example, here in greece you can pre-order retail arkham knight for 35€ while the steam price is 50€ (even ps4 retail is 55€, the pc retail is really cheap)
Αnother example, dying light retail is 23€

Heh, I just pre ordered this on the back of the new footage yesterday.

I won't re-order for £6 more if Warner cancels the physical release, so the ball is in their court I guess :)

Forsete

Retail PC games are usually cheaper compared to digital releases (especially compared to Steam). So yes I still buy retail PC games.

Omikaru

Physical editions with Steam keys in the box are pretty good if you want to grab games for cheap outside of sales. I've had some great bargains over the years thanks to retail. So I'm a bit disappointed by this, but I guess I'll just wait for a Steam sale.

The game is going to be big so this will be very shitty for those with slow or capped net speeds.

If this is true I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for physical discs for PC? I personally haven't bought any discs for quite a while and I've been expecting it to happen for while now.

Kezen

Banned
The game is going to be big so this will be very shitty for those with slow or capped net speeds.

If this is true I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for physical discs for PC? I personally haven't bought any discs for quite a while and I've been expecting it to happen for while now.

Let's face it : the death of physical PC releases is a question of when, not if. Square Enix have switched to digital for their PC games in the US. Europe is next.

Älg

Shame, I always by my games physical. I like to own something, even if I don't own the content itself. Plus, digital games are still way too expensive.

Abounder

Banned
Let's face it : the death of physical PC releases is a question of when, not if. Square Enix have switched to digital for their PC games in the US. Europe is next.

The only physical copies that will stick around will be collector's editions

I already bought my copy at gmg. The preload is going to be horrific on my connection.

This is really shitty news for the people who have strict bandwidth caps.

I have a 300kb/s connection at the moment - and I still don't buy retail. Since moving to where I am now with this connection, I've planned around that download time since more often than not, I simply don't care about having to wait a day or more for the download to complete since I am pretty busy anyway. Most of the larger games have had preloads that negate this pretty well; I'd assume Batman Arkham would have a preload

Pretty much in the same boat. Just leave my comp on at night and it takes a few days but it gets done.

Nzyme32

First company to tie getting a digital version but also being sent the physical collectors stuff, are going to make a chunk of money. I know plenty of people who just want a digital copy but want those physical collectors stuff too

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

In the age of Steam, GOG, GMG, etc, do people still buy physical games for PC?

Yes. many people still buy them, I think it's mostly outside America. look at Amazon Uk for an example tons of new PC games from the big publishers like 2K or Bethesda are on Discs

Many of these releases games also are Steamworks, mean that you use the Disc/Discs to install the game on Steam after putting the Steam key, this help people with slow internet or bandwith cap, especially nowadays games are huge like 30~ 50GBs

Santar

Come on, the thread is less than two pages long. Others have already explained this: the prices in European Steam are stupidly high which drives people to buy cheaper retail copies.

Yeah, they're Steam keys in a box - that makes them even better because you get all the benefits of Steam while paying the lower price of a retail copy.

I didn't think of that, that is a point too yes.
Though here in Norway sometimes the steam prices are actually a bit cheaper than the retail versions sometimes. It varies quite a bit of course.

If the entire game was on the disc, then sure. But its usually just a glorified key.

Never come across that. All my PC disc games have the full game on the disc. The last one I bought being Watch Dogs which comes on three discs.

I can only think CD key on a disc is some high street store gimmick to jump on the Steam bandwagon, its no way the norm or even considered a physical copy.

So yes 100% indeed it does save you from downloading.

I'm in the UK so pretty sad to see no DVD release. Can be a good way to buy games cheaper than Steam.

Top Bottom