• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Pokemon Black and White leaker spills typings of Xerneas, Yveltal, Sylveon?

First, a little backstory. Before the Japanese release of Pokemon Black and White, two workers at the Spanish Official Nintendo Magazine leaked the whole Pokedex, complete with fanart renditions of several unrevealed Pokemon such as Scraggy, Ferroseed and Joltik. One of them, now on Twitter under the handle @Hirobyte, has been hinting at various bits of X and Y news for a while now, and he has claimed to know the as-yet unrevealed typings of the two box legendaries and the new Eeveelution.

Apparently, and take this with a whacking great pinch of salt, the typings are...

Sylveon: Fairy
Xerneas: Fairy
Yveltal: Dark/ Flying

Obviously, a lot has happened since autumn 2010, but if this is legit and his sources are valid, we're seeing the introduction of a new Pokemon type for the first time since the second generation.

He also claims that Clefairy and maybe Togetic are being retyped as fairy.

Obviously this isn't confirmed at all, and it shouldn't be taken as such, but if this is true, it could be a big shakeup for the metagame.

Izick

Could be interesting. Fairy makes a little more sense than "normal" for Clefairy and the like, but it seems like it'd be too niche. How many Pokemon would be fairy?

The Lamp

Could be interesting. Fairy makes a little more sense than "normal" for Clefairy and the like, but it seems like it'd be too niche. How many Pokemon would be fairy?

Celebi.... Anything small with wings that doesn't look like a bug... Haha.

Galang

Banned
I love the Clefairy and Togepi evolution lines.. would be interesting to see this change if true. I'm all for it, but I wonder what else can be reclassed as fairy types

Always thought Light would be the new type if anyone (REGARDLESS of what Joe says about it).

Fairy is a really good idea, Chansey's line would also be good for it.

Would never have thought Xerneas would be that though, but it didn't strike me as anything in particular, huh.

EMT0

Banned
I'd take Light over Fairy any day, but I think I get the gist of the idea; a 'good' type, basically?

Fairy? Is that like supposed to be magical then? Magically delicious?

If it's fairy, does that mean Clefairy and Clefable get retyped? I bet Jigglypuff and Chansey too.

I'm probably the only person on earth who would be legitimately excited for Togetic to be reclassified as a Fairy type. Even perfect optimisation can barely make it useable as a tank, so better typing and maybe some new unique moves would be welcome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As long as a Machamp can still punch a Clefable in the gut for 2X damage, I'm okay with a new type.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Fairy would make sense. Fairy being a special (vs physical) version of Normal types (back when that distinction mattered).

There's a ton of Normals that would end up getting retyped though. I'm interested in how the type advantages will work since they're pretty balanced right now (weakness to Poison seems obvious!)

Could work. But color-wise I see Fairy as pink (Sylveon shows this) and Light being well, VERY white-yellow.
This image from the upcoming Eeveelutions movie short points to this, yeah.
UEHEr19.jpg

Also, a fairy wing in Sylveon's frame?

Well... I guess this makes sense, somehow. Everytime we've seen a new Eeveelution, the types are painfully obvious. Except for Sylveon. Also, this would explain the secrecy surrounding their types.
Anyway, I'm not to keen on the name "Fairy", and on Xerneas being Fairy type. But these guys were right and even spilled every single Unova Pokémon prior to the game's release.
I still don't want it to be true, though... I'm no genwunner, but the addition of a new type doesn't feel right to me.

Izick

I mean there has to be more than like a dozen of a type, right? I don't know because I've been out of the Pokemans game since Ruby and I'm getting back in with X.

PK Gaming

I don't think they'd give Yveltal a subtyping without doing the same to Xerneas.

As for retyping in general... it has its ups and downs. On the one hand, it could make the game more interesting, but on the other hand it could seriously mess up how some Pokemon are played.

Salvadora

Eeveelutions come in pairs, so we could be due another one? I wonder if we'll get 2 new types if this turns out to be correct.

grandjedi6

I mean there has to be more than like a dozen of a type, right? I don't know because I've been out of the Pokemans game since Ruby and I'm getting back in with X.

When Steel and Dark were introduced they only had a handful of their type too. Of course there are more than enough old normal types that could be retyped to fairy to expand the line up a lot.

What the hell would Fairy be strong against? Which types are currently overpowered and could use a new weakness? (the Fairy v Dark could go either way...)

I'm really skeptical of this, but ever since the Mewthree incident I don't know what to think anymore. I'll just shut my mouth for now and watch from the sidelines.

grandjedi6

Also that twitter account is protected. Makes it hard to double check anything.

Eeveelutions come in pairs, so we could be due another one? I wonder if we'll get 2 new types if this turns out to be correct.
We still need our Dragon Eevee to finish off all the old special types!

Genius. Poison and Normal don't do x2 damage and Fairy being weak to Poison just WORKS!

I just want Poison to be more useful against something, it's the one type that I pretty much never use just because it feels like dead weight a lot of the time, the one type it does hit for super effective hits (Grass) often packs poison as a second type themselves (well in Gen 1 at least) which is like insult to injury.

If pokemon were to get retyped Snubull better brace itself, the dex classifies it as the fairy pokemon after all.

Daingurse

When Steel and Dark were introduced they only had a handful of their type too. Of course there are more than enough old normal types that could be retyped to fairy to expand the line up a lot.

What the hell would Fairy be strong against? Which types are currently overpowered and could use a new weakness? (the Fairy v Dark could go either way...)

What if they were weak to each other? I can see that going either way, so that would be cool. But does Dark even need more weaknesses? Hmmm. . .

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I hope that Jigglypuff and Chansey are two of them. There are few more pokemon that would make sense for Fairy Type.

Please be weak to poison, please be weak to poison, please be weak to poison.

Rumor is that Fairy Type's weakness is against Poison but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Also that twitter account is protected. Makes it hard to double check anything.

Did anyone have access to that twitter?

CengizMan

This image from the upcoming Eeveelutions movie short points to this, yeah.
UEHEr19.jpg

Also, a fairy wing in Sylveon's frame?

Looks like Umbreon has a devil's wing, while Sylveon has an angel's wing. I think it's a pretty save bet that it is a new type. Probably Fairy, as speculated.

Daingurse

I just want Poison to be more useful against something, it's the one type that I pretty much never use just because it feels like dead weight a lot of the time, the one type it does hit for super effective hits (Grass) often packs poison as a second type themselves (well in Gen 1 at least) which is like insult to injury.

If pokemon were to get retyped Snubull better brace itself, the dex classifies it as the fairy pokemon after all.

Haha, hes Normal/Fairy then, guaranteed.

Korosenai

This has to be true because in no way shape or form does Sylveon look like a flying type. The colors, its appearance, it has to be a fairy type.

And I for one welcome our new fairy overlords.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wouldn't be against a new typing if that meant they moved all the existing "fairies" (Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Chansey, etc.) out of the Normal pool into their own typing. Don't give me any of this Normal/Fairy bullshit.

Izick

Good point.

If I was just thinking, I'd say like dark, ghost, or maybe even normal?

Top Bottom