• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

androvsky

But I can see the L and R for the analogue sticks right there on the picture. Can't be for L3 and R3 cuz thats on the picture too.

From the looks of it, it'll probably just swap left and right sticks instead of mapping the analog sticks to the d-pad, for example. If you could remap axis there would have to be a lot more analog stick options.

If that's true wowowow. That's a fucking megaton and I'd legit be so happy. Also despite MS updating constantly Sony still brings the best new features. First Share play then PS Now and now this? I prefer the PS features definitely.

LesPaul

This would be awesome....but really akward for qtes....you know when you are meant to press x but you have to press o.

This would be awesome....but really akward for qtes....you know when you are meant to press x but you have to press o.

Shit....

Didn't think of that, hopefully the in game prompts are programmed in sync with the Consoles mapping, so it will change with the game.

ArmageddB

Apparently they should have saved this for an E3 announcement.

Just one more thing ... button mapping!

My Nintendo systems and PS4 will no longer have opposing buttons for "accept" and "cancel".

So true ... when I switch systems it takes me forever to do anything because I keep cancelling.

Wow, I can't wait to see if this is true.

If Sony does this, that makes the PS4 one of the most power user friendly gaming consoles around.

Anion

No. It had game defaults (like having your first person shooters always inverted or non-inverted) but it never let you completely customize controls at a system level.
Ah ok. I knew it had something about controls, but I never really looked into it.

Mikey Jr.

Shit....

Didn't think of that, hopefully the in game prompts are programmed in sync with the Consoles mapping, so it will change with the game.

Thats not gonna happen.

Having said that, I'm not gonna complain about qte's. If it is a price I have to pay for remapping, I'll gladly pay it.

Eusis

Seriously, fucking kingdom hearts.

My brain went into "fuck you" mode whenever I jumped between systems.
My brain compensates by acknowledging I'm not holding the same controller. Which is also why I can go either way with PS1 controllers (thanks early PS1 Square games and me developing a purist mentality about button placements for awhile! Though now I find that a more pragmatic mentality to not mess things up arbitrarily between regions) but have difficulty using A for cancel and B for accept on EITHER the Nintendo or Microsoft controllers. Tried that a bit with some games that permitted it on 360, and had a lot of trouble wrapping my head around it despite doing essentially just that on Nintendo controllers the whole time. Inversely, when this happens on Nintendo controllers it throws me off really badly.
Thats not gonna happen.

Having said that, I'm not gonna complain about qte's. If it is a price I have to pay for remapping, I'll gladly pay it.
I can see it happening with newer games and even becoming standard. Not so much with old games if they're not programmed to look for it though.

And this also makes me wish the PS4 really were a magically fully BC console, because imagine being able to do this stuff with many PS1 and even PS2 games.

Skux

The feature that we never knew we wanted.

ibdeskVCCeOiDQ.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Does that additional rest mode stuff mean Suspend and Resume is finally here or is that something else?

Current features of fw2.50 present in changelog:

• The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode].
  • [Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.
  • Delete trophies with zero percent.
  • Search trophy details on the internet, including screenshots of scenes with trophies.
  • SharePlay at 60 frames per second.
  • Share trophy details and screenshots.

Vita RP cannot access beta 2.50 ps4 consoles, so probably RP will get 60fps support also after new vita firmware.

jaypah

If that's true wowowow. That's a fucking megaton and I'd legit be so happy. Also despite MS updating constantly Sony still brings the best new features. First Share play then PS Now and now this? I prefer the PS features definitely.

Update list wars? This gen, man...

Anyway, this is a peanut butter and chocolate moment. Should have become a standard on consoles long ago, good job Sony.

VanWinkle

I'm confused by the "share trophy details and screenshots" thing. Like, does it automatically take a screenshot when you get a trophy or something? If so, what would be the use? The screenshot wouldn't really convey how you got the trophy anyway.

Skux

The trolling possibilities are endless too lol.

Some ideas:

- remap X and O to overcome Japanese import games using reverse mappings
- switch triggers to R1/L1 for old-schoolers
- swap L3 and R3 if a game has a sprint button that you keep inadvertently pressing
- swap the d-pad and face buttons because why not

Top Bottom