• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it is fake. Not just because it looks bad but because it doesn't need to exist. The original PS4 isn't that much bigger than the Xbox One S.

Sony has done slims for every generation for 3 reasons:

- some people would buy the revision no matter what = more sales
- cheaper components = cheaper to produce
- new marketing opportunities

Vinc

I'm sure they'll have a slim PS4 ready at the event, so this would make sense. I don't know if it's real or fake, and it's hard to judge from this picture... but man, it sure looks uglier than the original PS4. Hope Neo looks good!

Then again, the first slim PS3 looked ugly from the leak, but looks alright in real life.

offshore

Guy text back and said someone's buying it... said he's getting more tomorrow.
If this is true, I'm guessing that Sony know a batch has been stolen and have been working to try and track them down: they're unlikely to publicly announce anything, unlike with Uncharted 4, because this isn't an announced product.

I half expect this guy to be getting shut down sharpish.

Pwnedkiller

Neo Member
I too will take Fake for $400.

I think it would be smart for Sony to just launch the Neo at $400 with no slim in between yet. Next year launch a slim with 4K UHD play ability and phase out the original PS4 model. That way the Neo is out and ironing it out via firmware updates could help stabilize software and hardware for a UHD compatible PS4 slim.

Also, thinking back. I got my first PS3 slim couple days before launch for £180 from some dodgy guy in a Tesco carpark.
These things happen.

Edit: It was actually 2 weeks before launch lol.

Paganmoon

Slim is a new lower price SKU for the base PS4, same functionality. Neo is the 4k upgraded device.

This could also undercut the one S in price, don't forget that. People always love cheaper offerings in general

Sony also is not in a position where it needs to concern itself with Xbox ever catching up. I love my One S as it is but MS lost the war a long time ago

A slim would just have a standard Blu Ray drive.

Can't really make it slimmer without changing the innards a bit, unless they've created a previously unheard of cooling system. So, if they've changed the innards (die shrink, though, I'm not sure if that is completely possible with the 14nm architecture for AMD?), why not add a UHD player to it. It's a checkbox they're going to miss compared to the One S.

Vinc

One way to get a hint from it...

People who have firmware 4.0: When turning off the system and putting it in rest mode, is the original PS4 graphic showing the light bar still present?

Daffy Duck

If this is true, I'm guessing that Sony know a batch has been stolen and have been working to try and track them down: they're unlikely to publicly announce anything, unlike with Uncharted 4, because this isn't an announced product.

Could be the police picking it up in a sting.

Venom Fox

Banned

I can post my Whatsapp pics of the guy responding of you want? That's exactly what he's saying. He's getting more tomorrow.

All they need is to make this $249 at 500G to make it a powerful offering against the one s

Honestly I'm going to be shocked it the PS4 is down to 249$ this year. I'm expecting 299$ for this new model. The Xbox One S will have to face the cheap PS4 and the NEO at the same time, so I can't see the UHD Blu-ray being a critical advantage for Microsoft.

It'd be silly to not have your best selling PS4 SKU not support a standard you're pushing with your TV and media business. The Neo is an enthusiast product and will be outsold by the base model by a large margin.

Unless the NEO is above 399$, I really wonder about being outsold by the base model :D The Neo is a enthusiast product for an enthusiast market. The way I see it, the base model will be quickly overshadowed by the high end product.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Watch Sony use most of the time of the PlayStation Meeting talking about the Slim then use the last 15 minutes to reveal the Neo.

Xenoflare

Can't really make it slimmer without changing the innards a bit, unless they've created a previously unheard of cooling system. So, if they've changed the innards (die shrink, though, I'm not sure if that is completely possible with the 14nm architecture for AMD?), why not add a UHD player to it. It's a checkbox they're going to miss compared to the One S.

This looks considerably smaller than the One S and that's true. Hopefully it doesn't sound like a chainsaw

Again, Sony doesn't have to check all those boxes, it's also likely this is planned for quite a while and they dropped the UHD due to price

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The PS logo fucked everything.

If is real, Sony designers are drunk and who admited this was high.

Let's hope that it's fake.

Robot Pants

Most of the time these things actually end up being real despite all the experts pixel counting.
The 500gb rubs me the wrong way but I'm going with real

Here's my theory why he doesnt show the inside:

The box is empty. However I actually think the pics and box are legit and that will be the box for the next PS4. He just got hold of the wrapping boxes however

kingwingin

I thought the point of the neo was because sliming a ps4 would cost too much. Why would they still make a slim ps4?

This is the neo

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pwnedkiller said:
I think it would be smart for Sony to just launch the Neo at $400 with no slim in between yet.
If the new PS line shares form-factor (and potentially motherboard layout) - which is what I'd expect, it would make more sense for them to release both SKUs now, rather than swallow added manufacturing costs for another 20M PS4s.

But really - can't our retail insiders talk on how's the supply situation looking? There were some rumors of it in Japan, but anything more substantial to deny/confirm it would be a better answer to whether Neo will have a low-cost counterpart.

Guymelef

It'd be silly to not have your best selling PS4 SKU not support a standard you're pushing with your TV and media business. The Neo is an enthusiast product and will be outsold by the base model by a large margin.

I wouldn't be surprised if Neo is only 4K player option, even with a PS4 Slim on market.

dealer-

Ok, found the original leak post.
http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4882812&page=1&authorid=1444953

He also mention something about 6 PSP production line open recently. Maybe trinity?

161248w1yokgch12totf92.jpg

Yep, looks similar. It would probably look better in person than it does in pics, if it is real.

Not a fan, but I might get it eventually to get extra room (if this is legit of course.)

I haven't loved PS console design since PS2 Slim, which is IMO one of the GOAT designs.

L.O.R.D

OK,went to Sony store near my home,the box doesn't look like in the leaks,there is several bundels,but all of them doesn't have those advertising,but they have the same layout.

Sorry but what do you know exactly about the current PS4 stock levels worldwide?
Do you think that Sony doesn't know how to launch a slim model and get rid of stocked units during the previous months?
There will be an official price cut. And retailers will firesale the old units at their will if necessary on top of that.
I don't see the problem. PS4 Slim will replace the current one. Neo will be a new premium model.
PSVR is a totally different product, it's like Kinect or Move and it will be a really niche thing.

I think we know there is plenty of stock to to their announced shipment numbers. I mean you can imagine Sony will fly all the reg PS4's on the selves withing 6 months but that's fantasy imo

PSVR will take up shelf space and has it's own library of games that takes up sehlfspace.

So Sony went through the entire manufacturing process, boxed them, and have them ready for retail without a single hint...

sarcasticyeahoksure.gif

Microsoft did that for the 360 slim. IIRC it leaked the morning of E3 a few hours before they unveiled it and it was for sale like 3 days later. Its not without precedence but it is hard to pull off.

Looks fake to me. Pretty lame redesign, I highly doubt Sony would redesign it to look the exact same as before?

Here 's the kicker.. shouldn't it say PS4 Slim on the box? Fake as fuck,
I don't think PS3 said slim. They went from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 for a delineation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom