• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOOI

Banned
Hey I love my PS4 and am happy with how it's tracking along although I'd like 1080/60 to be standard the games I play are 60fps and anything else I play on my PC. The one thing I'm always frustrated at with new generations is that the last generation gets left in the wind. All digital purchases are basically left null and void as the new console isn't backwards compatible which gives publishers carte blanche to re-sell me the same game with a resolution bump. It's why I have been hesitant to buy a lot of digital games this generation in fear that I'm still going to need to hold onto the PS4 when a new console comes out.

There is not much anyone can do about that. This is the thing with Console Gaming trying to give developers as much benefits as they can while shafting the customers.

It had been the case for decades now that digital PC gaming allow you to keep all your old games no matter how many upgrades you do. While Console gaming is used to selling you a full priced game every generation with only minor improvements. EA built an empire out of that.

I would like to say that you are being paranoid, that you have nothing to worry about and that your old digital games would still work in the next gen. But sadly that would require 6000 pound gorillas like EA stop being so greedy. That is unlikely to happen.

Hey I love my PS4 and am happy with how it's tracking along although I'd like 1080/60 to be standard the games I play are 60fps and anything else I play on my PC. The one thing I'm always frustrated at with new generations is that the last generation gets left in the wind. All digital purchases are basically left null and void as the new console isn't backwards compatible which gives publishers carte blanche to re-sell me the same game with a resolution bump. It's why I have been hesitant to buy a lot of digital games this generation in fear that I'm still going to need to hold onto the PS4 when a new console comes out.

I don't think backwards compatibility will be an issue going forward.

There will not be any hardware or software issue, you are right. And maybe even the console first party companies would be okay with it. But third party developers might not be so kind.

How would third parties stop backwards compatibility? Assumimg it is true backwards compatibility and not emulation like Microsoft is currently doing they would/should have no say in the matter.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There will not be any hardware or software issue, you are right. And maybe even the console first party companies would be okay with it. But third party developers might not be so kind.

They don't have any choice if its hardware bound. You pop in the disc and it runs. Sony and MS are going to be prioritizing ecosystems going forward, and they are not going to want to restart from zero again. especially not Sony after being forced to with PS3

Head.spawn

Microsoft is only making the Scorpio because they want to end this gen. Sony CAN release PS5 early, but why would they want to? They are currently dominating with PS4 and the install base forces all the third parties to make sure their games run on PS4 hardware.

I can only assume that if Sony had decided to go with the more powerful Neo design and waited until Q3/4 of 2017, and had very similar specs to the Scorpio... we wouldn't be seeing posts like this.

MS isn't restarting a gen or ending it... if anything, they're prolonging it. The Scorpio is not a move for the mainstream, a $199 Xbox One S in a year or two will be that. Only the hardcore will be clamoring for a $500 Scorpio.

PS5 is not coming anytime soon.

NOOI

Banned
They don't have any choice if its hardware bound. You pop in the disc and it runs. Sony and MS are going to be prioritizing ecosystems going forward, and they are not going to want to restart from zero again. especially not Sony after being forced to with PS3

If we are talking about disc games, sure.

But even disc games these days barely have the whole game on a disc. The day-one patches are so large that it would be possible for third party developers to use that to prevent future compatibility. Just delete the day-one patch from availability and you would be able to kill all the old games.

You are correct that Microsoft and Sony would not do this. But third party just might try, at least once.

I can only assume that if Sony had decided to go with the more powerful Neo design and waited until Q3/4 of 2017, and had very similar specs to the Scorpio... we wouldn't be seeing posts like this.
Well yeah, if Sony want to turn NEO into PS5 then that's what they would have done. That's my point, that they did not do it.

MS isn't restarting a gen or ending it... if anything, they're prolonging it. The Scorpio is not a move for the mainstream, a $199 Xbox One S in a year or two will be that. Only the hardcore will be clamoring for a $500 Scorpio.

PS5 is not coming anytime soon.
Spencer had gone on record claiming that Scorpio will be "four and a half times" more powerful than Xbox One. I find it hard to believe that it is not meant to be the start of a new generation. Just because it would have backwards compatibility doesn't change the fact that it is definitely no where near an upgraded XB1. It is their new console for the next gen.

Yes, it would be too expensive for the mass market initially. But Microsoft would rather get the foot in the door early since they already lost this gen. And to get a VR-capable console just might be important.

As for PS5, well I expect it to be 2-3 years away, as theorised a few times already. And Sony would have a new PSVR2 to go with it, no doubt.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The PS4 is not "extremely loud". At least not all the time. It may have its moments on certain games but overall it's levels are somewhere between the PS3 Slim and a 360 Slim. Which is fine

If your PS4 is constantly loud, there's probably something wrong with it.

The PS4 is not "extremely loud". At least not all the time. It may have its moments on certain games but overall it's levels are somewhere between the PS3 Slim and a 360 Slim. Which is fine

The only time mine is loud is when I first put a disc in. For the first ~minute, the drive will whine a bit, but after that goes back to being unnoticeable. It's weird, it doesn't stay loud, even when it's installing from the disc.

Noi_

Banned
sorry if this isn't the thread for this, but i'm really considering getting a slim. Does anyone know how good bestbuy is for preorders? Am I gonna get it the same day or what?

Ashhong

sorry if this isn't the thread for this, but i'm really considering getting a slim. Does anyone know how good bestbuy is for preorders? Am I gonna get it the same day or what?

Personally I prefer the in-store pickup option. I would rather not trust delivery drivers when possible.

I wonder if PS4 Slim will release on September 22nd. That's the day the PS+ annual subscription prices will increase by $10. I mean, it can't be all that much of a coincidence the price hike happens so soon after the PlayStation Meeting on the 7th. Then again, with the thing out in the wild, it must already be headed to retailers, meaning an "available starting today" thing is likely.

pixelation

I got a mute PS4 confirmed.

DonMigs85

How loud the PS4 is depends largely on your room's acoustics and how hard a game pushes the hardware. If it's an enclosed concrete room with no windows open it'll definitely be louder.

MilkyJoe

If we are talking about disc games, sure.

But even disc games these days barely have the whole game on a disc. The day-one patches are so large that it would be possible for third party developers to use that to prevent future compatibility. Just delete the day-one patch from availability and you would be able to kill all the old games.

You are correct that Microsoft and Sony would not do this. But third party just might try, at least once.

Well yeah, if Sony want to turn NEO into PS5 then that's what they would have done. That's my point, that they did not do it.

Spencer had gone on record claiming that Scorpio will be "four and a half times" more powerful than Xbox One. I find it hard to believe that it is not meant to be the start of a new generation. Just because it would have backwards compatibility doesn't change the fact that it is definitely no where near an upgraded XB1. It is their new console for the next gen.

Yes, it would be too expensive for the mass market initially. But Microsoft would rather get the foot in the door early since they already lost this gen. And to get a VR-capable console just might be important.

As for PS5, well I expect it to be 2-3 years away, as theorised a few times already. And Sony would have a new PSVR2 to go with it, no doubt.

If the same disc installs on both consoles you can rest assured that it is not a "new gen" MS are not doing "new gens" anymore. They have changed to an iterative model. And you can bet your arse Sony will follow suit.

PS5 in 2 years? Good luck.

Personally I prefer the in-store pickup option. I would rather not trust delivery drivers when possible.

Yeah fuck that, assuming it doesn't get broken in transit there's the risk it gets lost or worse they send you a mail saying "we didn't have time to deliver it today" that really grinds my gears.

NOOI

Banned
If the same disc installs on both consoles you can rest assured that it is not a "new gen" MS are not doing "new gens" anymore. They have changed to an iterative model. And you can bet your arse Sony will follow suit.

PS5 in 2 years? Good luck.
If I was a gambling man I would have taken you on the offer, if only because Sony already told you they would not.

In fact, the only reason Microsoft tried to make Scorpio is because they NEED Sony to follow them. That is literally the only thing Sony could do that would give Microsoft a chance. Sony would have to be suicidal to give up its current lead in game consoles to chase Microsoft's machine. That's what Microsoft wants, so I guess what you are trying to say is Sony is stupid?

Scorpio's very existence is a trap, a trap for Sony to give up its current lead and profitable hardware. But a trap so obvious that Sony would not fall for it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm still confused how the fuck someone got a retail console that hasn't even been announced yet. I mean, it's not even a shoddy factory form fit like you see in iPhone threads, it's a fully packaged retail box.

Just... how?

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm still confused how the fuck someone got a retail console that hasn't even been announced yet. I mean, it's not even a shoddy factory form fit like you see in iPhone threads, it's a fully packaged retail box.

Just... how?
Like said earlier in the thread, probably stolen from a lorry / warehouse / distribution center. Definately not bought through legitimate means anyway.

inner-G

Banned

Just... how?
When then announce it, they'll probably do a SEGA Saturn 'available now!' or something

pgharavi

Banned
My PS4 feels increasingly loud. Put another way, more and more games put the machine in what I call jet-engine mode, for lack of a better phrase.

A recent indie PS+ title did the same, despite it being a simple car racing game. Interestingly, they remedied the issue in a subsequent patch. It no longer puts the game into jet-engine mode. I thought they mentioned it in the patch notes, but I can't find it.

NOOI

Banned

Just... how?

Someone deciphered Arabic in the manual that was shown, suggesting that this was a batch released to the Middle East. The info that multiple consoles are available for sale suggest that an entire batch was intercepted. This could be a theft or just unscrupulous local distributor trying to make a killing breaking shipping dates.

My launch ps4 gets loud when I'm on dark souls 3, but it seems to calm down when I come off it pretty much straight away.

Has the barcode number on the slim packaging been shown yet? Want to see if there is a price or date listed on my works computer system for it.

If it is middle eastern console, then I think it won't work anyway.

With all these horror stories, I feel like I must have hit the jackpot with my PS4. It's no louder than my PS3 Slim (the first model), and I bought it in March 2014 so it isn't one of the newer models. The only game that's ever set it off was Assassin's Creed Unity, and even then only in the menus, and that game was such a broken mess on PS4 that I'm hardly surprised.

MilkyJoe

If I was a gambling man I would have taken you on the offer, if only because Sony already told you they would not.

In fact, the only reason Microsoft tried to make Scorpio is because they NEED Sony to follow them. That is literally the only thing Sony could do that would give Microsoft a chance. Sony would have to be suicidal to give up its current lead in game consoles to chase Microsoft's machine. That's what Microsoft wants, so I guess what you are trying to say is Sony is stupid?

Scorpio's very existence is a trap, a trap for Sony to give up its current lead and profitable hardware. But a trap so obvious that Sony would not fall for it.

Ha ha what are you talking about?

It's not about chasing anyone. The shift in business model is to do away with hard resets, like at the beginning of a "new gen" and thus keep people in their ecosystem. Whether Sony follow suit or not is inconsequential to the game MS want to play.

And that last bit... Jinkies your Jimmy's are certainly rustled.

NOOI

Banned
Ha ha what are you talking about?

It's not about chasing anyone. The shift in business model is to do away with hard resets, like at the beginning of a "new gen" and thus keep people in their ecosystem. Whether Sony follow suit or not is inconsequential to the game MS want to play.

And that last bit... Jinkies your Jimmy's are certainly rustled.

You keep talking about doing away with hard resets, and yet the Scorpio is suppose to be 4.5 times more powerful than XB1.

Yes, backwards compatibility is going to be a thing for both companies, but I find it funny that you are denying Scorpio is meant to be a new gen. We are talking about a console so hypothetical that when it was revealed, Microsoft didn't even have a prototype to show us. Scorpio is going to be a next gen console that is being released too early, and that means it would be somewhere near the PS3 price range. That's MS's choice, but Sony isn't going to sell overpriced consoles any more.

MilkyJoe

You keep talking about doing away with hard resets, and yet the Scorpio is suppose to be 4.5 times more powerful than XB1.

Yes, backwards compatibility is going to be a thing for both companies, but I find it funny that you are denying Scorpio is meant to be a new gen. We are talking about a console so hypothetical that when it was revealed, Microsoft didn't even have a prototype to show us. Scorpio is going to be a next gen console that is being released too early, and that means it would be somewhere near the PS3 price range. That's MS's choice, but Sony isn't going to sell overpriced consoles any more.

Jesus wept.

There will be no "Xbox One games" there will be no "Xbox Scorpio games" there will just be"Xbox games"

The same disk will work on both boxes, just like how the same PC game runs on a PC with a GTX 680 and a PC with a GTX 1080.

That bolded part is gold.

NOOI

Banned
Jesus wept.

There will be no "Xbox One games" there will be no "Xbox Scorpio games" there will just be"Xbox games"

The same disk will work on both boxes, just like how the same PC game runs on a PC with a GTX 680 and a PC with a GTX 1080.

That bolded part is gold.

Microsoft can do what they like, it is their company. I am just amused that you are so sure Sony would magically dance to MS's tune when they have no reason to. Sony have their own plans.

Can Sony release a new console that is 4.5 times more powerful than the PS4? Sure. But why would they? And why now?

It amazes me how people got their hands on an unannonced (but expected) retail product and we still don't have a fucking clue what the NX is.

NOOI

Banned
It amazes me how people got their hands on an unannonced (but expected) retail product and we still don't have a fucking clue what the NX is.

Simple. Sony has already stopped all production of the old PS4 model and as such can't afford to delay the shipment of the Slim any more than two weeks from now. While NX is still a fairy distance away fron actually being sold.

MilkyJoe

Microsoft can do what they like, it is their company. I am just amused that you are so sure Sony would magically dance to MS's tune when they have no reason to. Sony have their own plans.

Can Sony release a new console that is 4.5 times more powerful than the PS4? Sure. But why would they? And why now?

It's not MS's tune, it's the inevitability of x86 architecture

oti

Banned
My PS4 is super loud but I'm not sending it in or opening up to check on the thermal paste. I'll just trade it in for a Neo.

NOOI

Banned
It's not MS's tune, it's the inevitability of x86 architecture

Sony will release PS5 when it becomes affordable for the consumer, and not before. Microsoft is free to release their Scorpio console at any time and at any price of their choice.

Ushay

Probably because at some point you just decide function > form and you have such an absurd lead over your competitor that the way the cheaper, slim version of your console looks isn't really going to affect sales.

XBO S is marketed as an improved XBO with 4K UHD playback support. Slim will more than likely just be the new, cheaper PS4 with the Neo basking in the limelight. Best to hold out judgement on Sony's designs until we see the Neo.

Such a weak mindset to have. PS4 was successful in part to its quality and slick design. If you want tolead you need to do it in all areas. Being the market leader doesn't mean you start outputting lower quality.

Rymuth

Why would a Middle Eastern console have a PEGI rating on its packaging?
The Middle East only just recently unveiled its own rating system

1_s3hp.png

Before that - this is what was the norm

MysteryM

I still own a 60gb PS3 phat and the subsequent slim, I liked both in the day with the slim being a far more efficient machine however I count it as a nice looking console. This slim looks fugly in comparison, the standard ps4 looks so much better. What were Sony thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom