• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

As many others have said previously. Games and testing takes a long time to develop.. Few of the 3rd party developers already spilled some beans here and there in regards to working on next gen projects a few months ago. 21 is way to late. 2020 might is reasonable and so is late 2019. Mark my words.

What’s the rush PS4 is dominating. Sony’s not going to go up against Nintendo in the hybrid/ handheld market after getting rocked by Nintendo twice. Xbox is not a competitor at this point and we are in an era of diminishing returns with hard graphics. Better too wait until hardware that can deliver 4K 60fps. Last generation Sony waited almost 8 years between generations and that was with expensive custom hardware, a much more competitive Xbox and a greater leap in visuals so your words seem to be based more on hope than reality.

Leocarian

Banned
What’s the rush PS4 is dominating. Sony’s not going to go up against Nintendo in the hybrid/ handheld market after getting rocked by Nintendo twice. Xbox is not a competitor at this point and we are in an era of diminishing returns with hard graphics. Better too wait until hardware that can deliver 4K 60fps. Last generation Sony waited almost 8 years between generations and that was with expensive custom hardware, a much more competitive Xbox and a greater leap in visuals so your words seem to be based more on hope than reality.

While I agree with your statement fully in regards to Sony's dominance and the fact that we have a more competitive Xbox now out in the market the reality is that Sony is now behind on power and backwards compatability and let's be honest the PSN is horrendous compared to Xbox Live. The PlayStation store is also trash to navigate.

The only thing Sony has going at this point are the games and yes we are hitting the diminishing returns with visuals in regards to this gen which is why the developers are now in a need of a greater more powerful hardware to create and bring life into new gameplay elements and visual fidelity that has never been done before.

If last gen didn't last 8 years Sony would of been dead thanks to their dumb decisions and over complicated hardware of the cell processor. First party devs were the only ones able to do anything with it. They turned it around with PS4 and are doing great with sales and games but that's not gonna be enough coming forward.

Microsoft on the other hand is lacking the games and had huge managment issues with first party developers and cancelations of many games. Their DRM bullshit in 2013 is what dug them the grave in the first place and all these years here slowly digging themselves out and I believe they're getting closer.

We still don't know when the Crackdown 3 is coming out. We lost many titles, Scalebound, Phantom Dust and Fable Legends which is really sad. I remember back in E3 2015 and E3 2016 I've interviewed the main Fable Legends guy back to back both of those years, the game never came out beta, ran like crap due to inferior hardware and wasn't optimized at all and it was running on UE 4 which is one of the best engines to date. (if you want links to those interviews feel free to PM me)

Very sad man. I loved Lionnhead and hopefully the Fable rumors are true and we might see a new game in the series from the Forza Horizon devs if the leaks are correct.

Sea of Thieves is the first game that I believe MS can brag about. I've had quite many amazing moments in all the stress tests and betas that I've played. This game is like no other and is a breath of fresh air. 360 and original Xbox had plenty of great IPs. I am hoping that some of that old magic back into next gen Xbox system.

Sony has amazing stuff going on right now with games. Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 will probably be remembered as some of the experiences ever made and of course we all have high hopes for God of War.

Long story short, I love both devs and publishers but I really want Microsoft to win next gen and see what they can do. And it's super exciting for me both personally as a gamer and a industry professional too see what will be happening in the next 2 years. It's a bit different for people who are involved as opposed to the fans because it's what I do for a living.

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
Why? We only had one mid-gen refresh and it was meant to be exactly the same console aimed for 4k displays. Nobody tried to sell them as a new gen. Your comment makes no sense.

Sony often marketed the PRO as a way of refreshing the generation so that it would last longer, the same way they often touted that they wanted the PS3 to have a "10 year lifespan."

If this is the first generation we get updated hardware and it's the shortest generation of all the Playstation hardwares, it's going to feel like it was a disingenuous cash grab.

Last edited:

demigod

MS was stupid to drag last gen out for so long and let Sony beat them to current gen with better pricing and specs. Sony aren’t dumb to allow MS to have a year head start again.

While I agree with your statement fully in regards to Sony's dominance and the fact that we have a more competitive Xbox now out in the market the reality is that Sony is now behind on power and backwards compatability and let's be honest the PSN is horrendous compared to Xbox Live. The PlayStation store is also trash to navigate.

Microsoft on the other hand is lacking the games and had huge managment issues with first party developers and cancelations of many games. Their DRM bullshit in 2013 is what dug them the grave in the first place and all these years here slowly digging themselves out and I believe they're getting closer.

Long story short, I love both devs and publishers but I really want Microsoft to win next gen and see what they can do. And it's super exciting for me both personally as a gamer and a industry professional too see what will be happening in the next 2 years. It's a bit different for people who are involved as opposed to the fans because it's what I do for a living.

Nothing wrong with PSN, Live isn’t perfect either. I do agree the store is trash.

And why the hell would you want MS to win next gen when you’ve seen first hand what they tried to do with xbox one and DRM?

bitbydeath

At what price point? $600?

$600 is way too much for those specs.

$600 on the PS3 included a $1000+ Blu-ray player, Cell (brand new tech), Ps2’s emotion engine, GPU etc.

Don’t forget ordering/producing hardware in bulk gets great discounts, plus Sony is also willing to take a cut to hit the required cost.

At most those specs would be $499 with a 2019 release.

Swizzle

Gold Member
MS was stupid to drag last gen out for so long and let Sony beat them to current gen with better pricing and specs. Sony aren’t dumb to allow MS to have a year head start again.

Nothing wrong with PSN, Live isn’t perfect either. I do agree the store is trash.

And why the hell would you want MS to win next gen when you’ve seen first hand what they tried to do with xbox one and DRM?

The interesting thing is that they they did that after one generation in which they almost won second place after launching one year before the most unpopular at launch priciest PlayStation ever... Sony got drunk after releasing both PS1 and PS2 back to back dominating the market each time and with their dominance growing... still drunk companies gotta be drunk companies...

Leocarian

Banned

Don Mattrick wanted that first of all. And to he honest with you Microsoft was actually thinking ahead of the curve and they knew where the future was going but the public wasn't ready for it. It was too soon. If you look at it today, digital sales are taking over already and a lot of physical stores already took hard hits and are closing down including gamestop stores in certain locations.

Digital is the future, if you think about you already have plenty of digital games that are tied to your account and you can't resell or give back.

Microsofts problem was that they wanted too much control when it came to digital licenses. They're not doing that anymore because it was a horrible idea and it backfired against them. I like their new management now and Phil is forced to clean up the mess that Don Mattrick left and this is why I want them to succeed.

Another reason why I want them to succeed is because competetion is good for the industry when someone takes over the other party tries to innovate compete harder which creates new games, hardware breakthrough and so on.

Codes 208

Regardless of when its coming, i cant wait for that sweet, sweet announcement event. The ps4 reveal in february 2013 was a huge hype moment for me and i wasnt even a ps fan.
Don mattrick was an idiot for heading those decisions, we know it, ms knows it. He got left because of that and phil spencer did what he could to fix that hot mess. The chances of that happening again are slim at best.

But that aside, what if i told you i dont care who wins and id rather they both continue to outdo eachother here and there because with a good competition comes better features, better games and better services. So no matter who wins between consoles, gamers win in general.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Regardless of when its coming, i cant wait for that sweet, sweet announcement event. The ps4 reveal in february 2013 was a huge hype moment for me and i wasnt even a ps fan.

Yeah man.. It was amazing I remember it very well. It's kind of scary tho how time flew by already. We're getting old 😑

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now

Going in to it I had typical expectations, I think we had an idea a few days before that it was going to be x86 based, and that was hype. But what made me any a lot of people lose it was the 8GB of RAM. Yeah, 2013, 8GB wasn't all that much, but we were doubting that the console makers would do pinch for an extra 4GB of RAM. Cerny talked a lot about how developers begged for more RAM and how the original specs were 4GB. The Xbox One also appeared to have doubled their RAM in response to Sony/developers demands. Finally developers got recognition.

So, yeah, 32 GB, 20 TFLOP, Zen 2 or better base is the least I can expect from the PS5.

Leocarian

Banned
Going in to it I had typical expectations, I think we had an idea a few days before that it was going to be x86 based, and that was hype. But what made me any a lot of people lose it was the 8GB of RAM. Yeah, 2013, 8GB wasn't all that much, but we were doubting that the console makers would do pinch for an extra 4GB of RAM. Cerny talked a lot about how developers begged for more RAM and how the original specs were 4GB. The Xbox One also appeared to have doubled their RAM in response to Sony/developers demands. Finally developers got recognition.

So, yeah, 32 GB, 20 TFLOP, Zen 2 or better base is the least I can expect from the PS5.

20 tflops? Lol what, my GTX 1080 is a 9.2 tflops and was $600 almost 2 years ago. You expect 20 tflop console GPU at $400-500 in 2019 or 2020? K. 32 GB Ram is overkill. If it's HBM2 you don't need 32 GB because it's a much faster and better ram.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I cannot believe this is the case.

Sony have nothing to gain by rushing to next gen, they're already market leader and the hardware is likely earning them a good profit margin at this point in the cycle. Why would they put effort into supporting hardware with software that'll sell to a fraction of the market they already have.

Launching a new Playstation would split their own market, not take anyone else's. I could imagine Sony hanging on for another 3 years, easily. I wouldn't expect devkits to go out for at least a year, if not longer.

Uh, you better not even get your hopes up then mate.

bitbydeath

I cannot believe this is the case.

Sony have nothing to gain by rushing to next gen, they're already market leader and the hardware is likely earning them a good profit margin at this point in the cycle. Why would they put effort into supporting hardware with software that'll sell to a fraction of the market they already have.

Launching a new Playstation would split their own market, not take anyone else's. I could imagine Sony hanging on for another 3 years, easily. I wouldn't expect devkits to go out for at least a year, if not longer.

PS5 releasing does not mean PS4 is no longer supported, PS3 only stopped being produced just last year so PS4 will certainly be around for most of PS5’s life too.

Last edited:

Pepboy

2019 release is looking more and more likely.

The seventh gen was the blacksheep of the gens it seems. Because the sixth gen only lasted about four or five years (360 came out 4 years after the og xbox for example) and the ps2 came out, what? Three years after the ps1?
8 years was too damn long for a generation.

Ps2 was a solid 5 years after ps1.

Codes 208

Ps2 was a solid 5 years after ps1.
And that's still two years short of the ps3. And Ps2's lifespan was 6 years. If the Ps5 comes out in 2019, that still makes it on par with the ps1 and ps2 lifespans.
If PS5 can't x2 power xbox oneX, it will fail. 2019 still too early.
The PS2 and Wii say otherwise. Both of them launched with the weakest hardware of the gen, the PS2 dominated the market and the Wii sold on par with PS3 and beat out the 360 in it's lifespan.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

$600 is way too much for those specs.

$600 on the PS3 included a $1000+ Blu-ray player, Cell (brand new tech), Ps2’s emotion engine, GPU etc.

Don’t forget ordering/producing hardware in bulk gets great discounts, plus Sony is also willing to take a cut to hit the required cost.

At most those specs would be $499 with a 2019 release.

Zen 2 isnt even out yet and on 7nm and you think it’ll be less than $500 lol

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if $599 is a viable starting point for a new generation of high powered consoles. If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible with the PS4, then maybe the early adopers will pay the $600, and average consumers will keep buying the PS4. Would that be a good business model for them? Then they can keep dropping the PS5 price over a few years to drive away the PS4.

onQ123

If PS5 can't x2 power xbox oneX, it will fail. 2019 still too early.

Just like the Wii & Switch failed right?

At it's core Xbox One X is still a Xbox One with more CU's , more / faster memory & higher clock rates so even if PS5 is ~ 12TF games can still look & play a lot better than what you see on Xbox One X. They could also look & play just a little bit better but have a better way to play & that could be it's selling point.

If people are happy with 6TF in 2017/2018 what make you think they won't be happy with 10 - 12 TF in 2019?

svbarnard

Banned
So here we are, the 9th generation of consoles is nigh and the excitement for me is are we finally going to see that nextgen destruction we've been seeing in all these destruction demo's for years!

This destruction demo came out in 2012 before the 8th generation of consoles came out and yet this level of destruction still hasn't been seen in video games, will the 9th generation finally usher in a new era in video games?

bitbydeath

Yeah gonna need receipts man

Already provided for PS3 above which was insane value for money especially during a recession.

PS2 also used brand new tech with the Emotion Engine.

PS1 was the first step into consoles so obviously they held back and PS4 also was designed to make money from day 1 cause Sony couldn’t afford to do otherwise coming off the back of PS3.

onQ123

I wonder if $599 is a viable starting point for a new generation of high powered consoles. If the PS5 is fully backwards compatible with the PS4, then maybe the early adopers will pay the $600, and average consumers will keep buying the PS4. Would that be a good business model for them? Then they can keep dropping the PS5 price over a few years to drive away the PS4.

I think they will give us whatever they can at $399 I'm thinking 10 - 12TF from going to 7nm

around 20TF fp16 with better memory & CPU to fulfill the 4K & VR gaming craze .

rokkerkory

Already provided for PS3 above which was insane value for money especially during a recession.

PS2 also used brand new tech with the Emotion Engine.

PS1 was the first step into consoles so obviously they held back and PS4 also was designed to make money from day 1 cause Sony couldn’t afford to do otherwise coming off the back of PS3.

Yeah and it nearly bankrupt sony. Stock at that time was barely anything. Sony eating $400-500 a console (your pricing) isn’t happening ever again.

svbarnard

Banned
So this game demo came out in early 2013 before the nextgen consoles did and I remember thinking to myself "No way nextgen graphics are going to be this good! Most likely thats next-nextgen graphics lol." Turns out I was right after all, (though the new God of War is looking pretty good) so with PS5 will we finally see games match the graphics of the infiltrator demo?

onQ123

So this game demo came out in early 2013 before the nextgen consoles did and I remember thinking to myself "No way nextgen graphics are going to be this good! Most likely thats next-nextgen graphics lol." Turns out I was right after all, (though the new God of War is looking pretty good) so with PS5 will we finally see games match the graphics of the infiltrator demo?

If this can be done with 1.84TF I'm sure PS5 could match that demo in fact I'm sure that could be done on PS4 Pro & Xbox One X if someone built a game around the specs.

bitbydeath

Yeah and it nearly bankrupt sony. Stock at that time was barely anything. Sony eating $400-500 a console (your pricing) isn’t happening ever again.

That was due to not breaking even for the first 4 or so years, it can obviously be priced better than that as proven with the PS2.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
If this can be done with 1.84TF I'm sure PS5 could match that demo in fact I'm sure that could be done on PS4 Pro & Xbox One X if someone built a game around the specs.

Xbox gamer here so I haven't seen the order 1886 in person but did the graphics really look that good? Its basically as good looking as the infiltrator demo, see this is why I get pumped thinking about nextgen consoles, can you fucking imagine the graphics we're going to see!!!!!

To think that I was 5 years old and playing on the original nintendo with 2d graphics, now we got 5 year olds playing the order 1886! Imagine the graphics these 5 year olds are going to be playing when they're also in their late 20s mid 30s!!!!!

bitbydeath

More on the PS3 debacle.

The combined materials and manufacturing costs for each device come to about $806 for the model with a 20GB hard drive, excluding the cost of the controller, cables, and packaging, iSuppli said.

With a suggested retail price of $499, that would mean Sony is taking a loss of about $307 on each console it sells. The differential for the 60GB model is less, with the cost exceeding the price tag by $241.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/127906/article.html

For PS2, it is much harder to find anything concrete due to lack of interwebs.
It was apparently losing $120 per console according to here -

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/does-sony-sell-the-ps2-at-a-loss.7750874/page-4#post-7816070

Point is Sony can take a $100 or so loss if they wished and then combined with Sony purchasing in bulk could knock another $50-$100 off the price tag, so when people look at a hardware costing $399 or $499 keep in mind you could theoretically receive another $200 in value on top of said figure.

Last edited:

Codes 208

On top of the points already made, i recall MS also began selling the 360 at a loss but they made up for it via xbox live. Theres no reason why sony cant do the same here with PSN.

saobang3886

Neo Member
The PS2 and Wii say otherwise. Both of them launched with the weakest hardware of the gen, the PS2 dominated the market and the Wii sold on par with PS3 and beat out the 360 in it's lifespan.
PS2 is 2nd gen, and it also more power than PS1.

PS1 (1994 - 102 million units sold)
CPU - 32-bit MIPS (33mhz)
GPU - 32-bit R800A (33mhz)
System RAM - 2mb
Video RAM - 1mb
Resolution - 640x480 (SD)
Media - CD-ROM

PS2 (2000 - 155 million units sold)
CPU - 64-bit 'Emotion Engine' (299mhz)
GPU - 'Graphics Synthesizer' (147mhz)
System RAM - 32mb
Video RAM - 4mb
Resolution - 720x480 (SD), 1280x720 (HD - certain games only)
Media - 4.7gb DVD, 9gb dual-layer DVD

Just like the Wii & Switch failed right?

At it's core Xbox One X is still a Xbox One with more CU's , more / faster memory & higher clock rates so even if PS5 is ~ 12TF games can still look & play a lot better than what you see on Xbox One X. They could also look & play just a little bit better but have a better way to play & that could be it's selling point.

If people are happy with 6TF in 2017/2018 what make you think they won't be happy with 10 - 12 TF in 2019?

Nintendo system never start with power hardware, they focus on gameplay, portable and family game, not on graphics.

Sony is different, they have to fight on the hardware with Microsoft. That why xbox lost this gen because there hardware not strong as Sony and even higher price. But if next gen they release a PS5 with hardware only higher than Xbox oneX a little, They will fail when MS introduct Xbox two with at least x2 power Xbox oneX, right?

PS4 still sell well, they don't need to hurry, maybe late 2020 is good time, I hope Sony wait enough to release PS5 at least with this hardware:
12 TF GPU.
24 GB GDDR6.
Zyren 5 CPU.

Codes 208

PS2 is 2nd gen, and it also more power than PS1.
Im well aware of that? When i said the weakest of the gen i meant in comparison to its rivals. The xbox was stronger than the gamecube which in turn was stronger than the ps2. The wii blazed passed the 360 and ps3 when it launched after them, despite launching with a fraction of the gpu strength.

Last edited:

Klik

Maybe Sony will subsidize ps5 for 100$, so they will sell ps5 for 399$,but it actually costs 499$ to manufacture it. That way they could put 7nm cpu that is miles better than current cpu,12TF GPU,16-24gb ram.

Alx

this is another interesting article about Deep Learning on AMD GPUs and CPUs.
https://marketrealist.com/2018/02/advanced-micro-devices-and-nvidia-in-artificial-intelligence

This is their official website for these gpus.
https://instinct.radeon.com/en/exploring-amd-vega-deep-learning/

Do you think next gen consoles will have some custom solution of AI inside?

That aspects mostly focuses on the training part of deep learning. Which is obviously the heaviest part (one has to crunch huge amounts of input data to extract some rules and knowledge), but isn't done in real time and doesn't have to run on the console. It's something you do while designing the game, but on the console end you just have to run the results of the training, which isn't that resource consuming.

svbarnard

Banned
We're certainly just gonna have a regular ol' CPU and GPU in nextgen consoles but what is up for debate is whether there will be SSDs or HBM2 or gddr6 or not

MilkyJoe

It took you that long for a weak response? What the hell does games taking longer to make have anything with a hardware company putting out a new console? Things haven't changed. Games are still being made on current gen and a couple years into the next gen. You seem salty that MS won't have a year head start like they did with the 360. They got stomped this gen because they didn't have a head start and other factors.

Do you think people sit around clicking refresh waiting for your replies? You lunatic.

I'm not the one deluding themselves that the PS5 will be out next year.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hmm. I wonder if they'll get risky with PS5, I actually kind of hope they do. Just better graphics/resolution/fps, while nice of course, doesn't get me too excited tbh.

Why do people expect that better hardware equals new genres?

Of course, better hardware equals bigger open world maps and so on, but It doesn’t make new genres

Swizzle

Gold Member

Then again, it was a full Sony Corp mandate to win the Blu-Ray battle...

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
It took you that long for a weak response?

You can express your point strongly without being this aggressive, these topics are heated and I do not want to stop them or treat you in a condescending way, but they tend to escalate sometimes...

Bluntman

Does anyone know if by the end of 2020 this setup will be cheap and affordable to build a PS5?

PS5 Prediction:

- 7nm Process -Ryzen 3+ at 3.8 Ghz
-12~16 TF Navi + architecture with enhancements
-24 GB GDDR6 720 GB / S

If these specifications can not be achieved by affordable values. Speculate what the hardware of the PS5 will look like. Let's Go!

Don't think they'll do 384 bit memory bus, that's too expensive.

It's going to be 16GB which is more than enough with HBCC.

Around 12tf GPU seems correct.

CPU will be 8 core mobile Ryzen with 3+GHz clock.

Then again, it was a full Sony Corp mandate to win the Blu-Ray battle...

That's actually an important point to make as it contextualises some of the expendiature & loss that Sony made with the PS3.

And... it also makes it all the more strange that Sony bailed on putting in a 4k bluray drive into their "4k capable" console. Off-topic rant: I really hope they have another revision of the PS4 Pro before they're done with this gen (give me 4k bluray + some decent/silent cooling and some good aesthetics, thanks Sony, charge me whatever you want).

Last edited:
Top Bottom