• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

REDRZA MWS

Fall 2020 the earliest. The tech/price will be more ready by then. And besides that, the pro was made for this reason, to extend the ps4’s life.

Also, the ps4 is killing it. We still have God of War, Spiderman, detoit: too human, days gone, death stranding, and TLOU2, and thats only what we know as of now.

Give us the best tech at the best price (500 or less) in 2020 with full BC with ps4.

Ar¢tos

10-12TF gpu with specific hw optimizations, 16-20gb ram, some zen2 cpu seems more than enough for next gen and at an acceptable price in 2020. Graphics can't improve that much, from Ps3 to Ps4 the change was already less noticeable than ps2 to ps3. Framerate limitations (and lack of stability) this gen seem more tied to lack of CPU power than GPU. So a better CPU is more needed than an absurd amount of GPU power. Devs (1st party mostly) have done amazing things with 1.8TF, i see no need for a 12+ TF GPU in a console.
Also informed gamers aren't the main buyers of consoles, so the price has to always be a consideration for sony (and MS).

THE:MILKMAN

Fall 2020 the earliest. The tech/price will be more ready by then. And besides that, the pro was made for this reason, to extend the ps4’s life.

Also, the ps4 is killing it. We still have God of War, Spiderman, detoit: too human, days gone, death stranding, and TLOU2, and thats only what we know as of now.

Give us the best tech at the best price (500 or less) in 2020 with full BC with ps4.

It wasn't. It was to keep the fickle/1%/hardcore from leaving Sony's eco system and/or jump to PC.

Leocarian

Banned
10-12TF gpu with specific hw optimizations, 16-20gb ram, some zen2 cpu seems more than enough for next gen and at an acceptable price in 2020. Graphics can't improve that much, from Ps3 to Ps4 the change was already less noticeable than ps2 to ps3. Framerate limitations (and lack of stability) this gen seem more tied to lack of CPU power than GPU. So a better CPU is more needed than an absurd amount of GPU power. Devs (1st party mostly) have done amazing things with 1.8TF, i see no need for a 12+ TF GPU in a console.
Also informed gamers aren't the main buyers of consoles, so the price has to always be a consideration for sony (and MS).

Pretty good prediction. Although...I would argue that the jump between God of War 2 on PS2 to God of War 3 on PS3 is a lot less impressive than from God of War: Ascension to God of War on PS4. The PS4 God of War leap is kind of ridiculous compared to God of War 3/Ascension in terms of visuals fidelity and scale. The Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 is quite insane too. I think there are some games that show a way bigger leap in the generation than others between PS3 to PS4. For example, I personally think that the Killzone 2 Trailer for PS3 was already surpassed and Killzone: Shadowfall kind of proved that, at least in my opinion.

Also, the evolution of Assassin's Creed was pretty interesting, as soon Ubisoft ditched PS3/Xbox 360 versions games such as Unity (although technically was broken at launch) was still impressive in the visual department compared to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Syndicate was more on the downgrade side due to the technical problems that Unity faced because they tried to go a tad far. However, Assassin's Creed: Origins blows everything out of the water when it comes the visual and world building evolution of AC games. I am scared to see what 11-12 tflop console will do with the Assassin's Creed games or open-world in general. And then you have games like The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding that are on a whole different level.

Codes 208

Even if the PS5 launches in 2019 at around 10TFlops, thats still more than 5x more powerful than the base ps4. Just because some of you bought into the hype of a pro, doesnt change that of the 60+mil ps4 users, only a fraction of the hardcore have a pro. Its not a gen extender. Its a (at the time) premium console for an affordable price to give an optiom to those begging for a stronger system.
It wasn't. It was to keep the fickle/1%/hardcore from leaving Sony's eco system and/or jump to PC.
Hesrightyouknow.jpeg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Even if the PS5 launches in 2019 at around 10TFlops, thats still more than 5x more powerful than the base ps4. Just because some of you bought into the hype of a pro, doesnt change that of the 60+mil ps4 users, only a fraction of the hardcore have a pro. Its not a gen extender. Its a (at the time) premium console for an affordable price to give an optiom to those begging for a stronger system.

Hesrightyouknow.jpeg

I am pretty happy with the Pro. Bought into the hype? On my 4k displays I can tell a nice difference in games vs my launch day PS4.

Leocarian

Banned
Sorry. I mean release.

PS5 is going to be revealed same year that it's coming out in. As far as what year, 2019 would be my guess. I DO NOT have actual information from sources for a release date in regards to what year other than personal speculation.

Another thing that I've mentioned previously is that I knew of a few third-party devs who are already working on next-gen stuff - Ubisoft, Avalanche (Mad Max/Just Cause 3) and Square Enix as well as far I can say from sources.

I think I've mentioned this previously in this thread but I'll say it again

1 - Next Final Fantasy (FF 16 or W/E it will be called) is NOT being done by the Tabata team (Tabata = Final Fantasy XV team)

2 - Tabata Team is creating a new IP/game, not sure what universe or what it will entail exactly, but it's safe to assume it will be some sort of an RPG.

3 - Final Fantasy 7 Remake is most likely for cross-platform release or even possibly a complete edition for all 3 episodes. To be quiet honest tho, Square changes their mind a lot and I would not bet on anything they say because they can change their minds any moment or developer can really shift. Final Fantasy 15 is a very good example of this.

Square's big game this year is getting Kingdom Heats III out the door this year and FF 7 Remake is the next major step.

Last edited:

Thanks for clarifying again, Leo. I did see your previous posts but misread your last one as something new! Sorry.

If we are to get teases at E3 then for sure late 2019 must be the intended launch (in line exactly with PS4) as no way would they tease 2.5 years out.

Also leaks will start after GDC next week with Richard Leadbetter doing a big article about the likely specs (as promised)

It all seems to be coming together nicely and almost exactly how PS4 did.

Leocarian

Banned
Thanks for clarifying again, Leo. I did see your previous posts but misread your last one as something new! Sorry.

If we are to get teases at E3 then for sure late 2019 must be the intended launch (in line exactly with PS4) as no way would they tease 2.5 years out.

Also leaks will start after GDC next week with Richard Leadbetter doing a big article about the likely specs (as promised)

I do not know anything in regards to GDC and I personally usually never attend it.

I WILL be at this year's E3 though, so I'll be posting some stuff for you guys if I can get extra dibs/info and let you know.

Last edited:

I do not know anything in regards to GDC and I personally usually never attend it.

I WILL be at this year's E3 though, so I'll be posting some stuff for you guys if I can get extra dibs/info and let you know.

Excellent. Lets hope you get some scoops!

As for Richard Leadbetter, he just ran the One X/Pro die shot comparison article and the last paragraph was:

Richard Leadbetter said:
In the here and now, we can safely assume that both Sony and Microsoft are moving on to the core design of their next-gen successors, which become viable from a manufacturing perspective in 2019, when next-gen 7nm processor fabrication is expected to be mature enough to accommodate the demands of a new console launch. And with the arrival of AMD's Ryzen/Vega-based APUs, launching today (with Digital Foundry review coverage to follow), we may well be getting our first look at the building blocks of tomorrow's PlayStation and Xbox. Based on a revised 14nmFF process, AMD has integrated a quad-core Ryzen block and 11 Vega compute units in an area approximately 210mm2. Scaling down those components to what we expect from the new 7nm process on a similar area used by PS4 Pro and Xbox One X offers up some fascinating options for the platform holders - something we'll be returning to soon.

I think (read hope) soon is shortly after GDC next week.....

mckmas8808

Banned
This is why I would be amazed if this happens in 2019. 2021 at the earliest. PS5 cannot be less that 2X the power of 1X there would be a melt down.

You got that wrong. The PS5 would be compared to the OG PS4 and Xbox One, since that's what all devs are programming and developing for. Nobody is creating games with the 1X "ONLY" in mind.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I know this opinion can be perceived as very contrarian around these circles, but I don't think the classic approach is gonna work again for Sony. We've reached a pretty good point in terms of graphics, not to the super hardcore of course, but to gaming itself, and its various corners. I'm trying to look very deep at the strategies at hand, and I seriously believe that following the PS4 with the same strategy isn't wise.

They need to figure out new ways to bring value to the platform.

bitbydeath

Cool, if WiLD is there I want impressions.

Leocarian

Banned
Excellent. Lets hope you get some scoops!

As for Richard Leadbetter, he just ran the One X/Pro die shot comparison article and the last paragraph was:

I think (read hope) soon is shortly after GDC next week.....

Looks interesting, will be keeping my eye on that
Cool, if WiLD is there I want impressions.

You talking about Wild the Michael Angel other game? I forget his name.. is it Ancel or Angel? His also responsible for Beyond Good and Evil I believe isn't he? Its funny you mention that game, that game completely fell of the radar like it does not exist and I completely forgot about it. I am curious now myself what happened to it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

You talking about Wild the Michael Angel other game? I forget his name.. is it Ancel or Angel? His also responsible for Beyond Good and Evil I believe isn't he? Its funny you mention that game, that game completely fell of the radar like it does not exist and I completely forgot about it. I am curious now myself what happened to it.

Yep, that is the one, Michael Ancel, I’m hoping it shows back up again.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Yep, that is the one, Michael Ancel, I’m hoping it shows back up again.

I won't lie. Beyond Good and Evil was a nice surprise last year alongside Skulls and Bones. I think Ubisoft lately have been really turning around for the better after the embarrassment of Watch Dogs graphics fiasco and the disappointment of The Division. Looking forward to seeing Splinter Cell now even tho I was never really a huge fan of the game I am glad it's coming back and to see the fans rejoice. Hoping that Prince of Persia is next alongside Rayman.

demigod

Over a year away, don't count on it from DF.

Over a year away, don't count on it from DF.

I don't see why not, demigod? I mean it isn't rocket science to take the latest tech (Ryzen 4c/8t 11CU Vega APU 210mm^2 @14nm) then alter it taking into account the 7nm die shrink and making it ~325-360mm^2.

I think someone even did the maths in the Pachter thread last year?

Ok my post here was deleted so I'll say again: this claim is true from what I heard.

Mods feel free to pm me if you feel it's necessary. If you look at my post history you'll see I did have inside information from the PS4/XO pre-release. I don't make stuff up.

Last edited:
I don't see why not, demigod? I mean it isn't rocket science to take the latest tech (Ryzen 4c/8t 11CU Vega APU 210mm^2 @14nm) then alter it taking into account the 7nm die shrink and making it ~325-360mm^2.

I think someone even did the maths in the Pachter thread last year?

People are thinking that the PS5 will have 10Tflops and little memory. I believe that SONY will not launch a new console until it can deliver 12Tflops and 2x more memory than an Xbox One X already delivers. Not the least sense developing a console with specs inferior to a console of generation past. PS5 will come with 12Tflops, 24GB and a Ryzen 3.0Ghz or APU processor with the same performance, even if it means launching the console only in November 2020 or beyond. These are my most modest predictions. I would expect for something up higher depending on the release date.

And forget about seeing a PS5 in 2019. 2019 is a year rekindled for exclusive and other third party releases. The most that can happen is an announcement/appearance of the PS5 and an arrival to the market from 2020. But all the desparos of my arrows end up falling and hitting the year of 2020 of one form or another. Whether at the beginning or the end of 2020. But it will be 2020.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I am pretty happy with the Pro. Bought into the hype? On my 4k displays I can tell a nice difference in games vs my launch day PS4.
Dont get me wrong, the pro is a nice system, but i wouldnt say thwt the power provides the answer to a prolonged life cycle (as a 4k machine the thing doesnt even have a uhd bluray player) and im certain the ps5 will give the same "ooh ahh" factor despite being around 2-3× more powerful. The system doesnt need to be a godly 2021 20TFlop 64gb GDDR7 beast of a machine to sell if we can atleast get devs able to exploit the new freedom of development space itll provide.

People who aim toi high for expectations are bound to be burned.

On top of that. Going into next gen, this will be the first time (most likely anyway) we'll get the same type of archeticture for the playstation or xbox. Which should even cut down on the stress of learning a new system.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I bought it as an upgraded gaming machine from my launch PS4. I didn't buy one to play uhd BluRays.

I am happy with the system I got. I "didnt buy into the hype" mainly because there wasn't really any hype from Sony.

onQ123

I think with the ID buffer giving them the data to track polygons in world space like voxels & points this would be a good time to make a hybrid GPU that can use ray-tracing for the lighting , shadows & other things.

Last edited:
I think with the ID buffer giving them the data to track polygons in world space like voxels & points this would be a good time to make a hybrid GPU that can use ray-tracing for the lighting , shadows & other things.

I may be wrong but if the PS5 has better specs than most of the users of this topic expected. It will be possible to create some games with the implementation of ray tracing in some scenarios of the game. This would be a beautiful thing to see! But I find it hard to believe that next-generation consoles will cost more than 15Tflops. Or is 15Tflops enough to produce what I'm speculating? Could you answer me?

My PS5 Specs:
12Tflops ~ 15Tflops
3.0Ghz ~ 3.2Ghz
24Gb ~ 32GB

7nm ryzen at ~3Ghz makes no sense at all, as the power-frequency sweetspot should lie around 4ghz. ~3ghz would make sense for 14nm ryzen.

MilkyJoe

:(

I really think it's going to stay at 399$ for better or worse.

It just worked out too well for the PS4 and of course Sony was burned before with high console price.

$399 in 2013 is worth $426 today. You see how it can only be a bad thing?

entropus

Neo Member
Can someone do a quick comparison of processing power, memory and graphics units of PS2, PS3 and PS4? That way we can get some idea of what to expect out of PS5.

TLZ

Banned
Yes. I absolutely think it should be 499$ and it shouldn't be a problem in an age where people spend 1000$ on a fucking phone every two years.
Just have a 399 and another high end version out the gate and be done with it. Something for everyone.

Bluntman

Can someone do a quick comparison of processing power, memory and graphics units of PS2, PS3 and PS4? That way we can get some idea of what to expect out of PS5.

It's pointless really you would'nt get anything out of it.

It's better to compare the original PS4, the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X.

Trogdor1123

What are the chances that generations will essentially disappear and we will get simply continual iterations. Kind of what the pro and x are?

I would rather they wait until 2020 and go all out or at least get more bang for the buck. I would think PS4 sales will continue to remain on top easily by then. Everybody will benefit from Sony & MS battling to fit the most/best tech in the next generation of consoles.

Ar¢tos

What chances are there of 2 versions being released? A 399 and a 499 version? (not talking about HDD size differences)
They now have that experience with the ps4 pro, and devs also have the experience with the ps4pro/x1x situation.

demigod

What chances are there of 2 versions being released? A 399 and a 499 version? (not talking about HDD size differences)
They now have that experience with the ps4 pro, and devs also have the experience with the ps4pro/x1x situation.

You have a better chance at winning the lottery.

onQ123

I may be wrong but if the PS5 has better specs than most of the users of this topic expected. It will be possible to create some games with the implementation of ray tracing in some scenarios of the game. This would be a beautiful thing to see! But I find it hard to believe that next-generation consoles will cost more than 15Tflops. Or is 15Tflops enough to produce what I'm speculating? Could you answer me?

My PS5 Specs:
12Tflops ~ 15Tflops
3.0Ghz ~ 3.2Ghz
24Gb ~ 32GB

PS4 & Xbox One can use Ray-tracing in some scenarios now & some games have but what I'm talking about is designing the hardware so that hybrid Ray-tracing is the best choice for the lighting & shadows.

Just like with the PS4 Pro I think they will use smart design over brute force so 12TF at the most if it's coming in 2019 but I'm thinking 9- 11TF

Klik

It's interesting to see the hardware costs between PS3 & PS4. Blueray drive made ps3 really expensive to manufacture. Ram was really cheap back in 2013,maybe thats why they put additional 4gb. Cpu/gpu in ps4 was so much cheaper comparing to ps3.

thelastword

Banned
I hope people don't make excuses for their predictions when the actual specs surface.....You guys better link this thread....

It certainly seems like Sony is stuck on this 3 year cycle now. I thought they released the PS4 Pro about a year too early, especially with launching it at the same time as PSVR, but they did it anyway. And now things seem to be pointing to 2019 which keeps that same schedule.

Cerny even called PS4 Pro a "mid-gen" refresh, which taken literally would be on point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom