• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

Ar¢tos

Whatever the GPU tflops are is fine by me, as long as there is no CPU bottleneck and it has a decent CPU, since I have no plans to get a 4k TV until my 1080p one dies (plans =money).

bitbydeath

Anybody else think they will "gimp" the new consoles so they can sell "upgraded" ones during a mid gen refresh.

Nah, 7nm is kind of required for better heat dissipation in a console sized box, they could use newer tech for a mid gen refresh if they see a need for it.

LordOfChaos

AMD's new patent; Super-SIMD for GPU compute

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180121386.pdf

GPUs have massive threading and SIMD was already doing massively paralel work, but this further enhances the MD-part by executing more than one instruction per thread, which GPUs can have thousands of in flight.

Hyperthreading/SMT for GPU threads isn't a bad way to put it.

Yes, this is the first time since GCN1 they're changing the CUs, so it's post-Navi.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Given what people are saying (and the article quoted above), either they go for 5nm EUV and eat the ramp up costs to beat Apple and the likes to it (still early for 2020 possibly) or EUV for 7nm will not buy them an incredible amount of extra performance (quite lacklustre to be fair).

Man this sucks!

Armorian

Banned
I think anything after holiday 2019 is ok. I just hope PS5 isn't terribly underpowered compared to XBTwo. I have my friends and games on PS4, wouldn't like to have to change sides next gen.

2020 Navi-Ryzen Xbox won't be much better than 2019 Navi-Ryzen PS5 if both consoles at the same price.

A 2021 5nm Zen 3 Xbox on a large die (same size as the Xbox One X) would be significantly more powerful and capable than a 2020 7nm Zen 2 PS5.

MS needs to have a power advantage over Sony, otherwise there is no reason not to opt for a PS5 with its superior first party support.

I hope to see Zen 3 consoles.

Would ideally want 5nm Zen 3 consoles in 2021 from atleast MS if not Sony but that might be asking too much.

I’m most excited about the 2023 3nm Super Switch that will undoubtedly show up with 1080p undocked and 4K docked support.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

A 2021 5nm Zen 3 Xbox on a large die (same size as the Xbox One X) would be significantly more powerful and capable than a 2020 7nm Zen 2 PS5.

MS needs to have a power advantage over Sony, otherwise there is no reason not to opt for a PS5 with its superior first party support.

Would ideally want 5nm Zen 3 consoles in 2021 from atleast MS if not Sony but that might be asking too much.

I’m most excited about the 2023 3nm Super Switch that will undoubtedly show up with 1080p undocked and 4K docked support.

Sony having a two year lead tho...

Codes 208

I'm not sure they'll even pull that off. The switch launched 4 years after XBO and PS4 and the thing can still barely do 1080p. A 'super Switch' in 2023 will likely be somewhere between PS4 pro and X, if even that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You can see..power doesn't really matters in the end. The Xbox One X has also more power hardware onboard a lot of people really don't give a shit about the machine but what content they can deliver.

Building a powerful machine is not special and difficult, it's difficult to make great and powerful games.

Geki-D

Banned

MS won't allow any advance from Sony next gen, you can bet they're aiming for first or hot on Sony's heel at the very least. Those E3 studio purchase announcements, is how they hope to get round the first party argument. Not too sure they can match, but MS cearly wants every card in their hand next round and you can bet being out first counts as three quarters of a straight flush.

TheMikado

Banned

There’d be no point to that Xbox because if you get a 7nm PS4 in 2019, you’ll get a 2022 3nm PS5 Pro.

prag16

Banned
There’d be no point to that Xbox because if you get a 7nm PS4 in 2019, you’ll get a 2022 3nm PS5 Pro.
I'm not so sure the moves to 5nm and 3nm will be quite so fast. The limits of the laws of physics have already started interfering with these die shrinks. I doubt that's going to get any better as we go smaller barring some kind of paradigm shift.

TheMikado

Banned
I'm not so sure the moves to 5nm and 3nm will be quite so fast. The limits of the laws of physics have already started interfering with these die shrinks. I doubt that's going to get any better as we go smaller barring some kind of paradigm shift.
GlobalFoundries, TSMC, and Samsung are all planning for 3nm production in 2022. GF is considering skipping 5nm altogether. They have means to getting down to 1nm chips as it is but not cost effective at this point.

GF is saying they want to stop half nodes due to the expense of moving to each node. This would means they would go 7nm- 3nm -1nm rather than other companies 7-5-3-2-1 reduction process. In either case the expectation is that we will have 7nm production in 2019 3nm in 2022 and 1nm in 2025 with intermediate half nodes every 1.5 years from some manufacturers.

vpance

And if they slapped a pro out in year three...yeah I could see 19 for ps5 and 20 for x2, but not '21 if MS are wanting to increase market share.

2 year lag would be a wrap for MS. Sony launching in 2019 could make things pretty uncomfortable. If they do it I hope they can hit 12TF.

TimFL

I don't really care for the hardware setup, all I want to see is them not reinventing the wheel every single generation (requiring 5 major versions to get feature parity with previous generations) and starting over with a new games catalogue cause no backwards compatibility (PS5 should play PS4 games).

Smoke6

This explains a lot considering how lackluster their E3 was this year!

I’m gonna guess and say another February event with a holiday 2019 launch with some announced and “should have been” games as cross plat and working exactly like x1x is doing for their games!

Wallet is ready but not the wife!

Zok310

Banned

If Sony launch a bc PS5 there is no way MS comes back 2 years later and catch them for that gen. The gen begins when the PS5 or XB2 launches, people are not gonna wait 2 years. MS have to launch with PS 5 or before PS5 if they want to stay relevant.

joe_zazen

If Sony launch a bc PS5 there is no way MS comes back 2 years later and catch them for that gen. The gen begins when the PS5 or XB2 launches, people are not gonna wait 2 years. MS have to launch with PS 5 or before PS5 if they want to stay relevant.

12 months is fine if it is more powerful and same price

demigod

MS is not giving PS5 1 year headstart. Having a more powerful hardware 1 year later is not going to beat the competition. They know this, Sony knows this. Why do you think they did a pre-emptive move by announcing that they’re working on the next xbox already at E3.

Just my guess but i would say right now the ps4 pro is outselling the xbox one x. Good enough system and $100 cheaper.

MS is not giving PS5 1 year headstart. Having a more powerful hardware 1 year later is not going to beat the competition. They know this, Sony knows this. Why do you think they did a pre-emptive move by announcing that they’re working on the next xbox already at E3.

Just my guess but i would say right now the ps4 pro is outselling the xbox one x. Good enough system and $100 cheaper.
I think that's a very wrong assumption. "Good enough" is barely a marginal difference at best. X is a large upgrade over both the Xbox S and PS4P.

astroglide

You can see..power doesn't really matters in the end. The Xbox One X has also more power hardware onboard a lot of people really don't give a shit about the machine but what content they can deliver.

Building a powerful machine is not special and difficult, it's difficult to make great and powerful games.

Ya I 100% disagree. Haveing a power advantage is what made the original xbox so good. It helped ps4 at the start of thos gen when all the games were 1080 on ps4 and 900 on x1. Iv been waiting for games like hellblade and nier automata. Because of the x power advantage. Its very obvious in games like far cry 5 and wolfenstein

bitbydeath

I think that's a very wrong assumption. "Good enough" is barely a marginal difference at best. X is a large upgrade over both the Xbox S and PS4P.
The difference between the Pro and X is the same as the difference between XB1S and PS4.

Less so if you don’t have a 4K TV.

Munhon

Neo Member

That's not really true. There are "a bunch" of great and powerful first / 3rd party games running right now on X, the best console version, and more comming like Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, RDR 2, Odyssey AC, Exodus Metro, RE remake 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Cyberpunk 2077 ...

Right now, if you own X too, you will choose the XOne multiplataform game version. In the end, the power really matters, like other features like retro or Gamepass for example. It's the compendium, and if you saw the last E3, you know that Ms is working and investing to improve the quantity and the quality of their first party developments. We will see the result the next years.

Even, if the power doesn't really matter in the end like you said, why are the users so expectating with Ps5 specs in this thread? Why so many users changed their original Ps4 for a Pro !?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It would only be marginally more powerful with a 1 year difference though. They'll both be 7nm with similar interposer size limits, they'll both be Ryzen, probably 2, if Microsoft sneaks 3 in there they have a slight CPU bump, they'll both be Navi based with similar die size and similar silicon performance.

1 year gets them marginal gains, so I would think they'd both rather launch the same year with nearly identical performance.

The X was more powerful not only due to the extra time, but it just cost more too. Higher yield dies for higher clocks, more GDDR5, etc etc.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I highly doubt that. Look at what happened with PS3 when X360 had a year head-start. The only reason PS3 managed to recover at the end of the gen was because of how strong Playstation as a brand is worldwide.
Not to mention that by then, the first big exclusives will start hitting PS5.

MS can't afford being a year late.

vpance

That preemptive announcement is classic MS PR tactics. They very well may be 6 mo to 1 year behind, and want to appear ready and early.

Last edited:

FranXico

That preemptive announcement is classic MS PR tactics. They very well may be 6 mo to 1 year behind, and want to appear ready and early.
They will be a bit late, especially if they want to make XB2 more powerful than PS5 without bleeding money.
Then again, it's MS we're talking about, their monopoly can in theory fund any other business...

Last edited:

vpance

They will be a bit late, especially if they want to make XB2 more powerful than PS5 without bleeding money.
Then again, it's MS we're talking about, their monopoly can in theory fund any other business...

It's risky. If it's only 10% more powerful obviously that's not worth being late. 30 begins to get interesting but I don't know how realistic that is.

LordOfChaos

It's risky. If it's only 10% more powerful obviously that's not worth being late. 30 begins to get interesting but I don't know how realistic that is.

On the same fabrication node at the same cost, I very much doubt 30. Again the X was more powerful partly because it just cost more, since there was no fab node shrink below the Pro at the time.

That's why I think it's not worth waiting the year, the gains would be marginal unless they waited all the way till 5nm (or 7nm EUV, but that'll be expensive at the start), so may as well start at the same time. Losing a year isn't worth 5, 10, even 15%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom