• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

Hmm. I wonder if they'll get risky with PS5, I actually kind of hope they do. Just better graphics/resolution/fps, while nice of course, doesn't get me too excited tbh.

Just having more powerful graphics alone will lead to significant disappointment and people complaining of lack of true next gen experiences.

The key to next gen will be VR.

The PlayStation VR 2

The PS5 needs to launch alongside an optional 4k per each eye with eye tracking, foveated rendering, OLED, 120fps wireless VR headset with a 180 degree FOV along with haptic gloves and haptic underwear with both pressure and thermal feedback for Ready Player One’s OASIS levels of gaming immersion and market domination. They could simply buy Pimax since they already have a 8k VR headset with these specs (including a 200 degree fov) in the beta testing phase.

Here is a great article on haptic underwear... https://www.futuristspeaker.com/bus...-when-our-technologies-become-truly-wearable/

Lets include eye tracking (and foveated rendering) as a next gen goal as well.

If they emphasize VR, they need to display that PS9 ad again along with the announcement for the VR2.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
MS imo currently has the hand up regarding launching with newer hardware just because there last release has been the most recent. Also dont think MS is interested in being the lower part of the power stuff which floods everything the first couple years.

Yes and no. I don't expect the bone x to actually do much for the Xbox brand in the end other than restore consumer faith in the product. As long as the PS4 stays in market leader position I don't see any rush to market for next gen. Hopefully both next gen console launches are aligned.

Hmm. I wonder if they'll get risky with PS5, I actually kind of hope they do. Just better graphics/resolution/fps, while nice of course, doesn't get me too excited tbh.

Yes. They should introduce a multitude of gimmicks.

No thanks. The direction of the hardcore consoles is ideal.

The biggest advancements in gaming come from tech. Interface gimmicks have not evolved much at all since the introduction of analog sticks as input standard.

Resolution increases and hdr do more for immersion than the inaccuracies and clumsiness of waggle controls.

The only thing I'm kinda hoping for is an option to buy a discless sku.

Last edited:
Nah. This gen has at least 2 or 3 years left in it yet.

Maybe they are shopping a few ideas around but that’s it. The tech doesn’t exist in 2018 / 19 to do next gen justice. Not at a console price point anyway.

I still believe we will see GTAVI and various other big games before next gen lands.

WaterAstro

Early dev kits are just PCs with an approximation of the power. They are literally towers.

Dev kits are going to be updated with a bunch of iterations while it hasn't been announced. Maybe years.

thelastword

Banned
So, Sony is not waiting for 7nm (which is in one year)..
Very surprised.

What is Marcus Sellars known for?
7nm is already available to companies like Sony, besides 7nm Vega is launching this year which means it's already done technically....I'm sure Sony has been working to finetune some features on the GPU to have something more custom, Vega + Navi features........Who knows it's only the first iteration of the dev kit and not final hardware...In then end, a PS4 landing in November of 2019 will very likely have a Zen 2 Processor with a Navi GPU.....Infinity fabric CPU and GPU...

Last edited:

Petrae

PS4 turns five this year, which used to be the sweet spot for generational changes (Gen7’s drawn-out length was an exception). I’m okay with talking about new hardware at this point.

This seems twelve months ahead of schedule to me (at least). I would personally hope for a larger differential in performance from this gen than what will be available for a 2019 launch.

2019 seems too early for me as well, then throw in the recent speculation due to the PS Plus changes a year from now. I have to hold by what I said before, if it releases in 2019 I'm waiting for the PS5 mid-gen refresh.

What would be nice from either Sony or MS for next gen is to have some kind of of "Founder's Program" for the PS5/XB2 for PS4 Pro/X1X owners to opt into so they could cross-buy PS5/XB2 games to play early on the PS4 Pro and X1X and then keep playing on those respective consoles once released with the upgraded specs (or just keep playing them on PS4 Pro/X1X at the lower specs).

thelastword

Banned
This is bullshit why would this info come out but not first party.
There was already rumors of 2 huge first party titles in development for PS5.....Still that doesn't mean it's launching now or this year, 2019/2020 is very much the likely target. Development takes a long time to finetune and test everything.....hardware and software..

Last edited:
It would make sense to get the kits out early so devs can begin running targets on what they can do. In other words, is this just giving devs a head start so Sony will have more to show off at the reveal?

THE:MILKMAN

7nm is already available to companies like Sony, besides 7nm Vega is launching this year which means it's already done technically....I'm sure Sony has been working to finetune some features on the GPU to have something more custom, Vega + Navi features........Who knows it's only the first iteration of the dev kit and not final hardware...In then end, a PS4 landing in November of 2019 will very likely have a Zen 2 Processor with a Navi GPU.....Infinity fabric CPU and GPU...

I think all AMD have said about this is Vega 7nm will be a smaller die Radeon Instinct AI/Machine Learning chip first in ~Q1 2019. Could this be code for the PS5 APU?

Droxcy

Wouldn't doubt it honestly. A 5 year gap between new consoles is pretty reasonable, maybe they just want to get the next iteration ironed out and stick with it.

Corrik

Best news Xbox could ever hear. Get out of this gen and jump start to the next with their new philosophy. Sony should be trying to stay in this gen as long as possible.

MDSLKTR

I hope the dev kits are only to get the backwards compatibility ball rolling or something in prevision of the next hardware.

llien

AMD's CEO Lisa Su's interview, 24th of Jan:

Q17: For 7 nanometers, AMD has stated that the first product for this node is Vega and the focus is on machine learning. Some might feel that it is a bit odd for the first 7nm product to be on an existing GPU architecture and for the enterprise market. Do you have any comment?
LS:
I think that we always think about this very systematically, as to how we bring out new process technology. In this case it made a lot of sense to bring Vega down to 7nm. Vega, as you know, is practically a brand-new architecture and it has only been out since August, so we believe Vega has legs. We have so many new features in Vega, such as adding some of the compute centric features – but the beauty of 7nm is density and the power. When you think about just how much compute horsepower you can put in the new technology, it made sense. We usually start with the GPU; the GPU is usually for us the first product in a technology. Graphics does have the capability for a lot of redundancy on it and so we feel like it’s a great utilization of the technology.
Q18: With GlobalFoundries 14nm, it was a licensed Samsung process, and 12nm is an advancement of that. 7nm is more of a pure GF design. Is there any change in the relationship as a result?
LS:
So in 7nm, we will use both TSMC and GlobalFoundries. We are working closely with both foundry partners, and will have different product lines for each. I am very confident that the process technology will be stable and capable for what we’re trying to do.
Ananadtech

Interview with GloFo manager:

Q15: With the first generation of 7nm, do you expect to be high volume production by the end of the year?
GP
: By the end of the year or most likely in early 2019, with a couple of key partners. Our ASIC customers, of which there are quite a few, are also lead users of our 7nm process.
Anandtech

So, not totally impossible to have working 7nm chips that AMD could share with Sony today, but rather unlikely.

llien

Meanwhile at TSMC, and how roadmaps align:

SLUERpv.png

Sony have lost their minds if they want to launch a new console on anything but 7nm. And that won't be ready for mass market until 2020.

Suppose they could focus on a really good base cpu if it's not 7nm, then bank on a ps5 pro for extra gpu power. But still, 2019 is too early

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I need to start saving money for a good 4K tv as well as for the PS5 once it comes out. In retrospect i'm glad i waited to upgrade to a 4K tv and to a PS4 Pro. In 2 years from now i will be able to get a much better 4K tv than what is currently available in the mid-range market and the PS5 will offer true 4K resolution.

But before that happens i also need to get a Switch+Pro controller+Xenoblade 2+Mario Odyssey.

God damn this is an expensive hobby lol.

2019 seems too early for me as well, then throw in the recent speculation due to the PS Plus changes a year from now. I have to hold by what I said before, if it releases in 2019 I'm waiting for the PS5 mid-gen refresh.

What would be nice from either Sony or MS for next gen is to have some kind of of "Founder's Program" for the PS5/XB2 for PS4 Pro/X1X owners to opt into so they could cross-buy PS5/XB2 games to play early on the PS4 Pro and X1X and then keep playing on those respective consoles once released with the upgraded specs (or just keep playing them on PS4 Pro/X1X at the lower specs).

I forgot about the PS Plus changes. That adds more smoke to the fire then.

I'll be in the same boat (waiting for a mid-gen refresh) with the PS5. At the moment, I'm -impatiently- holding out for a PS4 Pro Slim revision to accompany my X and then I'll be content with my current console set up until at least 2020-2021. I've learned to wait for at least a second gen revision of console hardware before jumping in.

With regards to your proposed "Founders Program": I do wonder if this will be the first time that a console generation will share the same SKU for cross gen games. It'd be interesting seeing DOOM II on store shelves at the end of in 2019 with "Compatible for PS4/PS4 Pro and PS5" on the cover. Considering the scalability of modern game engines, this would certainly be possible to achieve.

ultrazilla

Now this guy will cause a big commotion because all the major "game" sites will pick up on it and well, wash, rinse, repeat.

If any ounce of this is true, I'd say it's more likely for a PS4 Pro "refresh"(that someone mentioned above). Probably this time including an 4k blu ray drive.

Irregardless, I think I can safely say that SONY better make the PS5 backwards compatible with ALL PS4/PS4 Pro Enhanced games.

sublimit

Banned
Irregardless, I think I can safely say that SONY better make the PS5 backwards compatible with ALL PS4/PS4 Pro Enhanced games.

I think that's a given. They will be basically commiting suicide if they don't. I can't even imagine all the rage they will receive lol.

Bryank75

Banned
They are probably just target spec for PS5, to allow launch games and ports to be prepared. I believe they will want a stron line up at launch to boost confidence in the system. Doesn't mean anything definite for a release. 7nm and new tech can still be implemented

thelastword

Banned
I think all AMD have said about this is Vega 7nm will be a smaller die Radeon Instinct AI/Machine Learning chip first in ~Q1 2019. Could this be code for the PS5 APU?
Yes, 7nm for the PS5 is a lock. Navi launches in 2019 and that is 7nm, but even before that, they are shifting the vega process to 7nm as well. So yes, Su spoke about the machine learning part, but they always launch and speak about machine learning and other vega products before the consumer GPU. In the end, Vega is going 7nm, so you can be sure it involves all products in that line.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thought about buying PS4 pro. Now with more and more rumors popping up, it's less likely.
This is what's bugging me. The PS4 is still capable of making beautiful looking games. There's still an awesome library yet to come.

I don't want to upgrade to a whole other console just yet. I got my PS4 the day it launched at midnight and I'm still having a blast. It isn't like last gen where PC took over inbetween consoles during the last couple years.

I realize it's very early and these developers have to make an awesome game on this new tech or learn how to use the tech the way they should. What does that mean for VR? The Kinect came out late in 360's lifespan. Look how fast that died and the XBO came out!

It's exciting and all, but seriously there are still great things to come. I don't even know what to think when they say the PS4 needs to be replaced. I have owned consoles day one since the 90's. The PS2>PS3>PS4 releases made sense, but I feel like we just got to the core of the PS4 in 2017. We haven't even had a GTA yet for this gen only.

Last edited:

ScrapBrain

Honestly I don't think this is very surprising, but I wouldn't expect any game announcements for awhile; if you build a game from scratch it can easily take up to 3+ years from conception to release, so it makes sense to send out an early version dev kit a few years out to ensure you have at least a few games ready for launch. I would also not be shocked to learn about devs receiving another dev kit with specs closer to the launch specs in another year or two, depending on how Sony is handling things...No launch titles would be a disaster in any circumstance, so I still expect to be waiting at least another year or two before any new console or 'next gen' game announcements

Leocarian

Banned
Not surprised. A few third part publishers already talked publicly about next gen stuff in development such as Ubisoft and even Square Enix. I remember they said they're working on a next gen IP that's outside the final fantasy realm.

Thought about buying PS4 pro. Now with more and more rumors popping up, it's less likely.
I mean, even if its true, it's still almost 2 years away. A late fall 2019 would make the most sense if it was to be coming out.

The reason Im wary of this is Im not sure what the point of dev kits for this would even be? If its just going to be a more powerful playstation, but running on the same architecture what would it even matter? Its not like this hardware would be difficult to develop games for. With third partys already making games built to run on more powerful PCs and the one X, what would they need a specialty "dev kit" for this? Couldn't they just send devs a list of projected specs? I dont see a need for devs to play test games on a console that is probably over a year and half out from release.

Ar¢tos

I just hope they don't even dare about releasing the Ps5 with a barebones OS like the Ps4 had. There wasn't even an option to pause dowloads, something every internet browser has done for the past 10 years.
Having no intention to jump on the 4k boat in the nearby future, i'm happy with all the supersampling i will get with the next gen.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, Sony is not waiting for 7nm (which is in one year)..
Very surprised.

What is Marcus Sellars known for?

7nm is a sure cert later this year for Iphone 11 (or whatever they call it) and for sure Sony MUST be on 7nm later if not now.

ragon

I can't believe this.
If there's a kits for PS5 it should be there's a specs of PS5.
It shouldn't mean showing how much the power of the CPU or GPU of PS5
At least we will know the rams if its' hbm2 or GDDR5... CPU?? GPU??
At least they will show anything about ps5...

Leocarian

Banned
I work in the industry - some of you already know that, but will say it again just to clarify for the people who are particating in the thread here so we have a clear picture. With this out of the way let's get to the fun stuff down below.

Do not be surprised if you see some titles at this year's e3 with no platform specification.

There will also be a few cross gen stuff as well AKA Watch Dogs E3 2012.

Next Gen Stuff that I heard of/been told

Disclaimer - Please do not take me verbatim or quote me. Things always change in the game development world and schedules always may shift.

Square Enix is working on a next final fantasy (Tabata not working on Final Fantasy 16)

Next Gen IP is being developed by Tabata's team. Outside of FF realm.

Avalanche Studios responsible for Just Cause and Mad Max working on a next gen game as well.

Ubisoft is in knee deep development for next gen stuff as well and said to expect to start seeing things early next year with teases in between.

If you have questions on my opinions on what I think what will be happening and when we can expect something feel free to ask, but just because I give you an answer do not take my word for it because I do have speculations of my own. So keep that in mind and have fun.

Top Bottom