• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

Next gen needs 7nm tech in order to hit an appropriate power jump. It’s unlikely that this will be mass available for a reasonably priced game console at the end of 2019.

Furthermore, I doubt they made mid gen machines to then cut the generation short compared to the previous. This makes no sense and in fact the opposite is more logical.

Also there is plenty of life left yet in this generation with many big games still to come. PS4 in particular is still selling great with no sign of slowing down. A PS5 next year is just unnecessary, even if it was possible.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
PS5? OK, but only if they able to develop MUCH faster console compared to PS4P, that would run games at 4K 60fps native. My GTX 1080ti with (12 tflops card with OC) can run many games at 4K 60fps, but I feel even more tflops is needed for more demanding games, and that's Nv tflops performance, AMD teraflops performance is weaker.

Xbox X console had improved GPU architecture, so tflops performance was much higher than 6 tflops poralis. Xbox X with just 40% more tflops can render even 2.2x as many pixels compared to PS4P GPU (underclocked RX 480 with RX 470 performance), at this point xbox X GPU it's much faster GPU than RX 580 (it's also 6 tflops card). So if PS5 will use something like 12 tflops GPU, but with ultra efficient architecture like in xbox X, then maybe 12 tflops will be enough for 4K 60fps target.

BTW- Seeing games like the order, uncharted 4 it's hard to imagine even better looking games. I would prefer to see more games like these, than another rushed playstation. Many years ago technology was advancing much faster than today. Games on PC and consoles still looks like the same games besides improved picture quality and performance, while when xbox 360 and PS3 came out, PC games looked totally different, so new generation was welcome at that point.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
The devkit itself wouldn't have wait for 7nm though. As long as they know the specs they are targeting they can just release an oversized box (like most devkit are)to approximate the power.

thelastword

Banned
I always feel that there’s an advantage to the one who launches later lol...
Not necessarily, if you launch too late, you're in trouble. If you don't have the IP's or the games or devs to make the hardware sing you're in trouble. The console business is all about a perfect balance of things of which pricing and marketing are also key.....I think Sony has hit the best notes there this gen
I'm pretty ok with a PS5 coming out in a couple years, but only because I assume it has a high chance of being backwards compatible with PS4 games. This seems like the easiest transition to have backwards compatibility with the previous generation.
I'm pretty sure backwards compatibility is a lock, but proper BC, so if all PS4 games are upped not just in rez but in framerate, I think that would be aces. So all PS4 games shifted up to 1800p-2160p 60fps with TAA and 16xAF would be ideal.

Why even bother with native 4k if a good CB implementation can provide the same quality image and free resources for better AA or better shadows? I still dislike the shadows we get in modern games, they usually are 1 gen behind the rest of the stuff in the same game.
CB is great for the PRO which can't do 4k native on all taxing titles, but the PS5 will have enough horsepower to do 4k native with the effects you demand. 4k with better shadows, AA, AF and effects is definitely possible. In that gen we will have 8k indies as well or even 4k 120fps titles like Quake Champions, so things will keep moving. CB 4320P or CB 8K is probably what we'll see more of in that gen. CB 8k downsampled should look pixar and jaggie free on a 4k TV, should be mindlowing in terms of IQ...............

My dream would be a Vapor Cooled PS5 launching in 3 years using a 3nm Zen 3+ 3Ghz 3x3 core CPU, 30GBs of 3D Stacked HBM3, a 3TB SSHD and 30 TFs of GPU Horsepower.
For what it's worth, the XBONEX was not the first console to have vapor style cooling......What would be great though is if Sony could collaborate with EKG, to create a nice watercooling solution for the PS5. They could probably develop it themselves since they have a host of engineers in different tech fields. As it stands, a 7nm GPU should be very power efficient, but a better cooling solution would almost ensure that Sony gives us the most powerful GPU and CPU they can muster for their target price-point come launch. I'm good at $500.00 to really push the envelope though....

Last edited:
Is that possible even with 499$?

I believe this will be perfectly possible from the second half of 2019 with the maturing of the VEGA architecture and the emergence of the NAVI architecture. If PS5 is announced in 2018 and launches in early 2019 it is obvious that these specifications would be far from becoming a reality. But from the second half of 2019 mainstream GPUs and processors with performance equivalent to the most modern hardware of 2017/2018 will be commonplace. Do not forget that the consoles can be cheaper offering the same specs that a specific PC for strategic market issues and commercial agreements with the hardware industry.

Just to give an example. PS4 PRO was released 4.2 Tflops in 2016 for $ 499. Xbox One X was released with 6Tflops in 2017. This means a difference of 1.8Tflops of difference between PS4 PRO and Xbox One X which is the equivalent of adding up the full power of the PS4 GPU in 1 year. ''Xbox One X is a PS4 ahead of the PS4 PRO'', hypothetically speaking''.

Then do the math: Xbox One X uses a RX 580 that produces 6Tflops. The RX VEGA 56 has 10Tflops and competes with the GTX 1070. In this year VEGA architecture will undergo a refresh. Some cheap mainstream GPU model with the code/name ''RX VEGA'', will achieve the performance of VEGA 56 or GTX 1070, as well as GTX 2060/1160 (we do not know the name). Then the future replacement of VEGA 56 or the GTX 2070/2170 will have the performance of a RX VEGA 64 or GTX 1080 equivalent. Next year(2019), AMD's NAVI architecture will emerge and again the next AMD mainstream GPU will achieve the performance of the current RX VEGA 64 or GTX 1080. The replacement for VEGA 56 and GTX 2070 (let's call it that) will be replaced again. And so on will also happen with VEGA 64 and GTX 1080 that by then will be more powerful light years. So we have 2 generations of mainstream GPU to preview before the appearance of a PS5 in the market.

And if the console is released by mid 2020 we will see even more powerful GPUs that will exceed 15Tflops. Do not be scared if Devkit of the current PS5 is a PC with 10Tflops as the specs change as the industry progresses. Before 2013 the developers thought that the PS5 would have 4GB GDD5 memory. But the market advanced and console received 8GB. And that did not change the $ 399. So let's wait quietly.

If in 3 years of launch of the current generation the PS4 left of 1.8Traflops to the 4.2 in 2016 and Xbox reached the 6Tflops. Imagine what it is possible to achieve 2 or 3 years after 2017. Remembering that the performance jump of the hardware is exponential and not merely summation.

(I had to rewrite my answer for you).

The devkit itself wouldn't have wait for 7nm though. As long as they know the specs they are targeting they can just release an oversized box (like most devkit are)to approximate the power.

The PC with approximate specifications that we call Devkit should have a performance slightly lower than the final version of the console. SONY is still looking at how the market will behave in the coming years. Until then it is possible that the PS5 receives NAVI 7nm architecture and a good CPU.

Last edited:
PS5? OK, but only if they able to develop MUCH faster console compared to PS4P, that would run games at 4K 60fps native. My GTX 1080ti with (12 tflops card with OC) can run many games at 4K 60fps, but I feel even more tflops is needed for more demanding games, and that's Nv tflops performance, AMD teraflops performance is weaker.

Xbox X console had improved GPU architecture, so tflops performance was much higher than 6 tflops poralis. Xbox X with just 40% more tflops can render even 2.2x as many pixels compared to PS4P GPU (underclocked RX 480 with RX 470 performance), at this point xbox X GPU it's much faster GPU than RX 580 (it's also 6 tflops card). So if PS5 will use something like 12 tflops GPU, but with ultra efficient architecture like in xbox X, then maybe 12 tflops will be enough for 4K 60fps target.

BTW- Seeing games like the order, uncharted 4 it's hard to imagine even better looking games. I would prefer to see more games like these, than another rushed playstation. Many years ago technology was advancing much faster than today. Games on PC and consoles still looks like the same games besides improved picture quality and performance, while when xbox 360 and PS3 came out, PC games looked totally different, so new generation was welcome at that point.

A next generation console needs no more than a RX VEGA 64 optimized to the max as you said on the Xbox One X GPU. Consoles are focused on running games at 30fps without Anti Aliasing and probably in mid and high settings. A good CPU and a good 13Tflops mainstream GPU with a 16GB GDDR 5x or GDDR6 memory are enough to deliver far superior graphics to The 1886 Order.

Look what the PS4 PRO and Xbox One X can do with Jaguar X86 CPU and modest GPUs. But the best comparison should be made between the basic PS4 and the Xbox One basic. Since 2013 they impress with 1.84Tflops and a tablet CPU. The biggest problem is to add the graphical advancement of a new generation with native 4k resolution. Because running the current games in 4k native to 60fps the PS5 will do with tranquility. The most important issue is being able to optimize this console to make 4k native with next-generation graphics at 30fps.

Last edited:

llien

New "leaked" AMD slides, 7nm Zen 2 shown quite early in 2019:

Xd7reCz.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We won’t. Red Dead will be the last Rockstar game this gen, no way they’d have enough time to make another.
Wouldn't it be the only New Rockstar game this gen?
Come to think of it most big publishers have only release a single game or one entry in big franchise which usually release 2 - 3 per gen.
Outside Remasters some haven't even released a single new current gen title.
And this gen is supposed to be the easiest and fastest to develop for.

Last edited:

vkbest

Just to give an example. PS4 PRO was released 4.2 Tflops in 2016 for $ 499. Xbox One X was released with 6Tflops in 2017. This means a difference of 1.8Tflops of difference between PS4 PRO and Xbox One X which is the equivalent of adding up the full power of the PS4 GPU in 1 year. ''Xbox One X is a PS4 ahead of the PS4 PRO'', hypothetically speaking''.

You are wrong, PS4 Pro was released for $399, so Xbox One X is one year newer and $100 more expensive. I don't think Sony could release a $399 machine in 2019 being pretty much powerful than PS4 Pro o Xbox One X. If Sony release PS5 next year, I think we will have cross gen titles at least until PS5 Pro

MADGAME

I'm pretty sure backwards compatibility is a lock, but proper BC, so if all PS4 games are upped not just in rez but in framerate, I think that would be aces. So all PS4 games shifted up to 1800p-2160p 60fps with TAA and 16xAF would be ideal.

This has me salivating

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This will never happen so why even bother hoping for it?

Oh I dont THINK it will happen with this next gen of consoles but I can hope.

In all honesty with having a nice 1440p 144hz monitor I wish companies would target that res.

I dont see any reason why a console with the rumored 11 TF of power couldn't target 1440p and 120 fps as the higher FPS mode.

You are wrong, PS4 Pro was released for $399, so Xbox One X is one year newer and $100 more expensive. I don't think Sony could release a $399 machine in 2019 being pretty much powerful than PS4 Pro o Xbox One X. If Sony release PS5 next year, I think we will have cross gen titles at least until PS5 Pro

I may be wrong about some projections. But be sure that by the second half of 2019 there would already be a cheap mainstream architecture with RX VEGA 64 performance. If the console is announced at the end of 2019 and launched at the beginning of 2020 we will have a very powerful machine on hand. It does not take more than twice the power of the GPU of an Xbox One X to make next gen graphics in 4k native 30fps.

Klik

I dont see any reason why a console with the rumored 11 TF of power couldn't target 1440p and 120 fps as the higher FPS mode.
Because vast majority of TV's are 60hz? And most of console gamers,including myself,are casual gamers and 60hz is more than enough for that.

luca_29_bg

Those games are nothing compared to what it can be possible to do with much higher computational power.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Because vast majority of TV's are 60hz? And most of console gamers,including myself,are casual gamers and 60hz is more than enough for that.

Using that logic the vast majority of TVs are also 1080p so why push any other res to begin with?

Those games are nothing compared to what it can be possible to do with much higher computational power.

Exactly! Just watch what the PS4 with measly 1.84 Tflops is able to do until today without compromising the 1080p 30fps. And look how far the Xbox One X has gone with 6Tflops. A console with a 2x GPU more powerful than Xbox One X is enough to deliver unbelievable graphics. Consoles are optimizable and with a simple specification can deliver much more than a PC with the same specification. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on the PS5 will be a very impressive thing. Something far superior to what we can imagine at the moment.

Something like this CGI will be totaly possible!

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt.jpg
2add09bff8abd58650430359a7c6c038.jpg
fxguide_w3_cast_06.jpg
witcher_3_wild_hunt_3.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I'm assuming standard PS5 games will be no longer made with 1080p resolution in mind, it will be probably 4K, so even with much faster GPU (12 tflops) much of that additional power would be "wasted" on resolution increase alone, so graphics fidelity will not improve that much. But maybe some developers will still make 1080p games on PS5, and with 12 tflops 1080p games should look indeed insane.

People want new console generation, yet still console games has the best graphics and no AAA game on PC can rival graphics in "the order", or "uncharted 4", only Unreal Enginge 4 tech demos looks better. The thing is, current gen consoles arnt so weak as some people trying to suggest, on my high end 1080ti I can run these PS4 games at 4K and 60fps, and my GPU doesnt have much power left. Like I have said, I would rather see more games on PS4 (there will be no new GTA game on PS4/xbox one generation?), than rushed and weak PS5 (or should I say PS4,5 ?). When we will start seeing much better looking games on PC (compared to the consoles), then it will be a time for new playstation generation.

Something like this CGI will be totaly possible!
The order already looks like that

a11.png

image.png

a17.png

image.png

a44.png

a13.png

direct-feed-ps4-screenshot-2.jpg

Last edited:

demigod

Did you miss that Sony and MS have put out new consoles? That games take much longer to make? That it's not 2005 and things have changed?

It took you that long for a weak response? What the hell does games taking longer to make have anything with a hardware company putting out a new console? Things haven't changed. Games are still being made on current gen and a couple years into the next gen. You seem salty that MS won't have a year head start like they did with the 360. They got stomped this gen because they didn't have a head start and other factors.

I'm assuming standard PS5 games will be no longer made with 1080p resolution in mind, it will be probably 4K, so even with much faster GPU (12 tflops) much of that additional power would be "wasted" on resolution increase alone, so graphics fidelity will not improve that much. But maybe some developers will still make 1080p games on PS5, and with 12 tflops 1080p games should look indeed insane.

People want new console generation, yet still console games has the best graphics and no AAA game on PC can rival graphics in "the order", or "uncharted 4", only Unreal Enginge 4 tech demos looks better. The thing is, current gen consoles arnt so weak as some people trying to suggest, on my high end 1080ti I can run these PS4 games at 4K and 60fps, and my GPU doesnt have much power left. Like I have said, I would rather see more games on PS4 (there will be no new GTA game on PS4/xbox one generation?), than rushed and weak PS5 (or should I say PS4,5 ?). When we will start seeing much better looking games on PC (compared to the consoles), then it will be a time for new playstation generation.

The order already looks like that

a11.png

image.png

a17.png

image.png

a44.png

a13.png

direct-feed-ps4-screenshot-2.jpg

Yes, the look of The 1886 Order is very close to what we see in The Witcher 3's CGs. But the CGs still have a higher polygonal count and more hair strands. Simulation of clothes and lighting better. All this is perfectly achievable by a hardwere with 13Tflops and a Ryzen CPU in 2 years. So the PS5 will be able to do CGs like those and beyond.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I personally liked the mystique from a 10 year gap between consoles, more meaningful but with the way things are going (plus, prime, pro etc.) it’s about what you’d expect E3 might even entail a trailer, who knows.

sunnz

Crysis from 2007 still does foliage and such much better than 70% games even this year...

I hope 4k is not the focus but actual graphical fidelity is.
Focus on texture quality, draw distance, foliage quality, character details, more objects with actual physics and so on...

I want stuff like pop in, AA issues, poor textures and such to be the thing of the past.
Have NPCs look as good as main characters!
Have games teeming with life. Leaves blowing in swbf2 for example!

Crysis from 2007 still does foliage and such much better than 70% games even this year...

Focus on texture quality, draw distance, foliage quality, character details, more objects with actual physics and so on...

I want stuff like pop in, AA issues, poor textures and such to be the thing of the past.
Have NPCs look as good as main characters!
Have games teeming with life. Leaves blowing in swbf2 for example!

One of the biggest advances that games will receive in the next generation is the increase in polygonal density. High polygonal counting can allow more spherical objects and smoother edges on the characters. Individually rendered hair. The textures will also evolve a lot but I believe that the developers will focus on increasing the count of polygons for greater fidelity. Gobal Illumination on all games will be one of the implementations.

Certainly physics will be one of the biggest advances for next generation gaming. Unlike the current generation that uses Jagua X86 CPUs the future consoles will be based on the Ryzen architecture.

longdi

Banned
I expect the witcher 3 fake trailer to look possible on PS5, nothing less. The major difference being the lighting, global illumination and such. The order screens above looks dull and flat, because of limited lighting.

Leocarian

Banned
I expect the witcher 3 fake trailer to look possible on PS5, nothing less. The major difference being the lighting, global illumination and such. The order screens above looks dull and flat, because of limited lighting.

It will be interesting too see how games look like next gen. I think games such as God of War, Uncharted 4, Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 have proven time and time again you can have absolute visual insanity with such low specs.

Also, Unreal Engine 4 is quite remarkble if used and optimized correctly. Great examples of that are Fortnite and Sea of Thieves. Horrible example is PUBG.

Frostbite 3 is also very impressive and Anthem is quite the looker.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Leocarian would you say there's a good chance that we'll get the first big press articles after GDC is over in a couple of weeks? I think a good bet is Richard Leadbetter running an article after attending (or having someone give a full report) as he already promised to discuss next-gen soon in a new article and straight after GDC seems obvious.

Leocarian

Banned
Leocarian would you say there's a good chance that we'll get the first big press articles after GDC is over in a couple of weeks? I think a good bet is Richard Leadbetter running an article after attending (or having someone give a full report) as he already promised to discuss next-gen soon in a new article and straight after GDC seems obvious.

I don't see why you wouldn't. Big press articles talking about potential future tech and what future consoles may or may not use? What do you consider big press IGN or GameSpot? Sure.

But as far as any official press release from Sony or MS I don't think so. GDC is more about developers meeting up and sharing their knowledge and talking about it with other like minded devs. GDC has never really been a convention to show big exciting stuff. Sometimes there are small announcements sure, but usually nothing exciting.

There is a good chance you'll see a few teases at E3 without them specifying what the game is actually releasing for.
Usually when the game shows up, trailer plays and at the end there is a black screen with all the logos and no platform specifications means it's a next gen title.

If you do see a platform logo tho such as PS4 or Xbox One it could also suggest its a cross gen title as well, that has happened many times in the past and is the usual to go to tactic.

If there is one thing I learned about this Industry is that sometimes it can be very unpredictable and other times very very predictable. It's a strange nature of the video game industry.

THE:MILKMAN

Sorry I should mention Richard Leadbetter is the tech guy from Digital Foundry. I mean just by history of the PS4 it went:

GDC 2012
Kotaku, DF and others running leak stories starting 2 weeks later.
Big VGLeaks from June 2012 on

I'm thinking for PS5 it might go similarly.

Leocarian

Banned
Sorry I should mention Richard Leadbetter is the tech guy from Digital Foundry. I mean just by history of the PS4 it went:

GDC 2012
Kotaku, DF and others running leak stories starting 2 weeks later.
Big VGLeaks from June 2012 on

I'm thinking for PS5 it might go similarly.

Yeah, I know who he is. I watch Digital Foundry all the time they're an awesome crew of intelligent men and fantastic breakdowns.

Yes, leaks usually come in a year earlier prior to announcements of the new consoles. Some people think they'll be announced at this year E3 and that's just wishful thinking. Official announcements will most likely happen early next year tm similar to how it was done in 2013 with same year release day for the holidays.

However, with the Xbox one X only out in November last year its a bit hard for me to believe MS will release a full fledged console by end of 2019. Honestly, they might wait a year similar to how PS3 came out a year later in 2006 and Xbox 360 came out in 2005. Because Microsoft at this point has made the commitment of always being on top of the food chain when it comes to the actual power of the hardware and of course backwards compatibility.

It will also give them extra time to get some amazing games going for launch imo.

Exactly! Just watch what the PS4 with measly 1.84 Tflops is able to do until today without compromising the 1080p 30fps. And look how far the Xbox One X has gone with 6Tflops. SNIP
The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt.jpg
2add09bff8abd58650430359a7c6c038.jpg
fxguide_w3_cast_06.jpg
witcher_3_wild_hunt_3.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

"Wh wh what are you doing?"

"Killing monsters."

That's still the greatest cinematic trailer of all time. I'm beyond excited for CDPRs new title but damn, I genuinely wish that they were doing a next gen Witcher game instead.

Leocarian

Banned
"Wh wh what are you doing?"

"Killing monsters."

That's still the greatest cinematic trailer of all time. I'm beyond excited for CDPRs new title but damn, I genuinely wish that they were doing a next gen Witcher game instead.

I am probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but for some reason I could not get into The Witcher series at all. I think Bloodborne and Dark Souls spoiled me with combat.

Last edited:
Oh God, I just bought a Pro this year, I don't want to buy a new console for at least 3 years. God, I'm so done with console gaming if this is true....

I am probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but for some reason I could not get into The Witcher series at all. I think Bloodborne and Dark Souls spoiled me with combat.

That's fair. You should really try playing The Witcher 3 again one day, it might click for you later on down the track and it's a fantastic game :).

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Oh God, I just bought a Pro this year, I don't want to buy a new console for at least 3 years. God, I'm so done with console gaming if this is true....

No offense but no one is forcing you to buy a PS4 Pro. Honestly, the PS4 pro is not that huge of an upgrade. You'll still be able to enjoy games with beautiful visuals such as God of War. It's made for people who have 4K tvs and don't mind shelling out extra money or want the best.

If PS5 coming out end of 2019 that will be exactly 3 years to buy a new console since the Pro was released in 2016. Ps4 was 2013, PS4 Pro 2016, PS5 2019. By your logic you made the mistake of buying the console near end generation cycle. But then again maybe PS5 won't come next year and we're only human and we can't always perfectly predict the future.

I own both an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. The Pro feels very gimped and told a lot of my friends not to get the Pro because it's not really worth it for the money or 1080P gaming.

You think console gaming is now bad cause of mid gen upgrades? Trust me you do not want to join the PC world and shell out 300 to 600 for a new part every 2 years if you're a hardcore gamer and want the best.

And no I am not trying to be mean, just trying to show you the bigger picture in perspective of what's happening .

Last edited:

Rayderism

Regardless of the specs that PS5 will have, backwards compatibility will be the determining factor as to whether I buy it day 1 or wait until later. If it doesn't accept my vast PS4 library right out of the box (and without repurchases), then it's not practical for me to purchase a PS5 until it has a significant library of its own games.

Leocarian

Banned
Regardless of the specs that PS5 will have, backwards compatibility will be the determining factor as to whether I buy it day 1 or wait until later. If it doesn't accept my vast PS4 library right out of the box (and without repurchases), then it's not practical for me to purchase a PS5 until it has a significant library of its own games.

For some reason I have a feeling Sony won't do anything in regards to Backwards Compabiltiy because they sell their ps2 titles now on PSN with trophies and all the stuff. They will most likely focus on new IPs and exclusives as the main selling point similar to the PS4.

Microsoft will always have the upper hand in Backwards Compablity.

My thoughts exactly. PS5 Mid-gen refresh is when I'll jump in, maybe. Might just be Xbox 2-Xtreme edition instead.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am in the other camp I feel the Pro was a pretty decent upgrade over my launch day PS4 for the games I play on it.

Does it compete with the X (of which I also own) of course not, it came out a year earlier and $100 cheaper.

But for a lot of games it does a pretty good job as a means to hold some of us over until the next generation starts.

longdi

Banned
I am in the other camp I feel the Pro was a pretty decent upgrade over my launch day PS4 for the games I play on it.

Does it compete with the X (of which I also own) of course not, it came out a year earlier and $100 cheaper.

But for a lot of games it does a pretty good job as a means to hold some of us over until the next generation starts.

I am glad you liked it, that is what the Pro was made to do! An affordable step up from the base PS4 you bought 2-3 years back.
It will keep chugging along for another 2 years before PS5 take shape. 2-3 years is a long time in filling our entertainment needs!

nowhat

I'm in the same camp. Essentially Pro is a PS4+ - it's fine for what it is, just adjust your expectations accordingly.

As to (at this stage theoretical) PS5, I may get one on launch. If, and only if, there'll be BC. There's no reason why there wouldn't be, but with Sony you'll never know. Also I wish better cooling for the console, One X absolutely smokes Pro in that department.

Ar¢tos

I got Ps4 at launch, i'm not gonna buy the Ps5 until there are enough games i want to justify it.
I barely touched the ps4 on the first 4 months because there were no games out that really interested me and i looked at it everyday sad that i wasn't using it (don't read this literally!).
First devkits in 2018 for a 2020 release seems normal in one hand, in the other... if the architecture is the same and the SDKs have little changes in them, they could just tell the specs they are targetting to 3rd party studios instead of wasting money building and shipping "normal" pcs and wait for 2019 to start sending devkits.

KevinKeene

Banned
I think it would make more sense that this isn’t dev units for ps5 but maybe for a new portable? With the Switch doing so well, I would imagine Sony is working on a strategy against it.

So they can abandon it again after its first E3, at which point a Vita 2 would offer nothing you can get on Switch right now.

Sony better stay away from handhelds.

Top Bottom