• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS5 Devkits have released (UPDATE 25th April : 7nm chips moving to mass production)

I will try to summarize about why "12.6TFLOPs" (funny number btw) is still dreaming.

January 2012: AMD reaches 28nm (coming from 40nm). The Radeon HD 7970 reaches 3.8TFLOPs at a launch price of 550$.
October 2013: The Radeon R9 290X reaches 5.6TFLOPs at a launch price of 550$. Around this moment, Xbox One and PS4 are released at 400$ (lets for get Kinect) with 1.3 and 1.84 TFLOPs, being PS4 a console with a well tight price.
June 2015: The Radeon Fury X reaches 8.6TFLOPs at a launch price of 650$.
November 2016: PS4 Pro reaches 16nm, and arrives with 4.2TFLOPs at a launch (and still) price of 400$.
August 2017: The Radeon Vega 64 reaches 12.6TFLOPs at a launch price of 500$.
November 2017: Xbox One X arrives with 6TFLOPs at a launch (and still) price of 500$.

It took almost five years for PS4 Pro to reach the 7970 raw power at a reasonable price. This is what you say it is going to happen: In three years PS5 will reach Vega 64 power. At a reasonable price. Just because of Navi and the 7nm. Just forgetting that they need to work in a new internal architecture for the console, they need a new CPU, Vega was a total and weird failure in terms of consumption, RAM prices are going nuts because of the smartphones, AMD graphics cards prices are going nuts because of the dataminers, and the price of PS4 Pro isn't even including a 4K blu-ray reader.

Ok, it's not just math about the years to be accurate with pricing and the increasing of performance, but it really isn't rocket science to know that PS5 is going to be anyway a expensive platform, and that PS5 is not going much further away than Xbox One X, even if AMDs Navi just results to be a really huge success.

The NAVI architecture is going to be very good. Nothing spectacular but probably will correct the failures of VEGA, otherwise AMD will be stuck to failure since a prelude to the Nvidia VOLTA (GTX Titan V) architecture has already proved incredible. We have two more performance jumps until the end of 2019. This year we will have another advancement VEGA performance making the mainstream GPU a little more powerful. We will have next year another advancement of the GPU mainstream which may be the biggest of all with the coming NAVI architecture. And if the PS5 is released in November 2020 as I'm predicting.

The console will have its 12.6Tflops without major difficulties because in 2020 we will see another refresh of the NAVI architecture increasing the power of the mainstream GPU. Maybe I'm wrong about the amount of memory as the user '' demigod '' said. But 3.0 / 3.2Ghz and 12.6Tflops is perfectly possible. I'm being absolutely realistic based on the date of November 2020.

Remember! I'm not kicking 2019, let alone 2018. I'm talking about a console with mainstream specifications from November 2020. Nothing more and nothing less. If this is not possible by then I think the PS5 should only launch in 2021/2022.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Agreed, RAM prices are pretty crazy.

Whilst I'll stop short of saying Sony are completely immune to the high RAM prices, given the minimum size of the contract (8 million+ chips a month at peak) and the long term nature of it, I'm sure Samsung (or other) supplier will do them
a very nice deal that Del Boy would be proud of.

rokkerkory

If this thing is coming in 2019 for a reasonable price ie $500 or less, it’ll have 8-9TF gpu max, nice zen 1ish cpu and 16gb ram with high build quality like the X. And i’ll be super happy to get one asap.

If 2020 then ok 11-12TF is doable.

Codes 208

Whilst I'll stop short of saying Sony are completely immune to the high RAM prices, given the minimum size of the contract (8 million+ chips a month at peak) and the long term nature of it, I'm sure Samsung (or other) supplier will do them
a very nice deal that Del Boy would be proud of.
On top of that Sony has surprised us before on the RAM front. Most of their first parties werent even expecting the ps4 was getting a bump in gddr5 from 4 to 8

Any particular reason you don't think that PS5 will launch late 2019? And yes I agree no one will launch a $600 or $700 console we all know what happened with the PS3. Sony can't repeat the same mistake.

It will be $500 max.

Forget that this console will be released in the market in 2019. There is a huge difference between ANNOUCING a console and LAUNCHING a console. The best that can happen is a PS5 announcing in 2019 and a launch in early 2020. I believe that SONY will not be stupid to launch a console with poor specs in the same year that it will release several exclusive that may only reach the consumer at the end of the year.

So forget 2019. Except for a good announcement that only materializes in sales starting in 2020. PS5 in 2019 does not make any sense. Death Stranding, TLOUS2, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone etc. Probably a cooler slim version of the PS4 PRO. In addition to the fact that a PS5 in 2019 would cost $ 499 and SONY has already discovered that the best market price is $ 399! That will only become reality in 2020.

And that would not be a bad thing. This would be very good. The more distant the launch of the PS5 means more power in the specifications.

Last edited:
If this thing is coming in 2019 for a reasonable price ie $500 or less, it’ll have 8-9TF gpu max, nice zen 1ish cpu and 16gb ram with high build quality like the X. And i’ll be super happy to get one asap.

If 2020 then ok 11-12TF is doable.

November 2020 makes sense.

Leak

The NAVI architecture is going to be very good. Nothing spectacular but probably will correct the failures of VEGA, otherwise AMD will be stuck to failure since a prelude to the Nvidia VOLTA (GTX Titan V) architecture has already proved incredible. We have two more performance jumps until the end of 2019. This year we will have another advancement VEGA performance making the mainstream GPU a little more powerful. We will have next year another advancement of the GPU mainstream which may be the biggest of all with the coming NAVI architecture. And if the PS5 is released in November 2020 as I'm predicting.

The console will have its 12.6Tflops without major difficulties because in 2020 we will see another refresh of the NAVI architecture increasing the power of the mainstream GPU. Maybe I'm wrong about the amount of memory as the user '' demigod '' said. But 3.0 / 3.2Ghz and 12.6Tflops is perfectly possible. I'm being absolutely realistic based on the date of November 2020.

Remember if! I'm not kicking 2019, let alone 2018. I'm talking about a console with mainstream specifications from November 2020. Nothing more and nothing less. If this is not possible by then I think the PS5 should only launch in 2021/2022.

No, it is planned to be released a non-mainstream Vega 7nm GPU ending this year, which transistor size and little improvements in the architecture should remove the weird consumption problem and push a little the performance. A new architecture (in this case Navi) uses to help the GPU to be better in solving certain tasks. but the overall performance because of the architecture uses to be tiny. Nvidia and AMD use to claim that big performance advantages between generations are because of the architecturs but it's mostly (to all) about the transistor size. Probably 2019 is the year when 7nm Vega GPUs reach the market, and meanwhile Navi should start rolling in the professional sector.

You started defending other users bet which was saying that PS5 would be released in 2019, and not in 2020 like you are saying now. Anyway, Fury X was 8.6TFLOPs at 28nm at a starting price of 650$, while Vega 64 was 12.6TFLOPs at 14nm at a starting price (but just unreal) of 500$ with a weird consumption. It is a 50% increase of power at the cost of a temporarily crazy consumption target. We will be lucky if Vega 7nm gives us another 50% increase because of the need of solving the consumption issue, but we are never ever reaching 12.6TFLOPs for a 2020 console. Just check Xbox One X, it is less than a half as powerful as the Vega 64, and still with a double Jaguar and a surprisingly low price to have 12GB of RAM and the 4K reader. A 50% increase of its power is the most likely scenario for PS5. > 8TFLOPs, < 10 TFLOPs, it really doesn't matter if in 2019 or in 2020. Navi will be available for Sony before to be available in home graphics cards, but anyway it's architecture really shouldn't be a significant fact for Sony facing the increasing price of AMD GPUs and RAM memories that they will be probably desiring to close.

THE:MILKMAN

On top of that Sony has surprised us before on the RAM front. Most of their first parties werent even expecting the ps4 was getting a bump in gddr5 from 4 to 8

Don't get me started on that! It was a lot of luck and Sony really milked it on the PR. Still nice it got 8GB, though.

Leak

In addition to the fact that a PS5 in 2019 would cost $ 499 and SONY has already discovered that the best market price is $ 399! That will only become reality in 2020.

Ok, I will just stop answering. PS5 in 2020 for 400 bucks? LMAO. Maybe if they release an Xbox One X twin.

No, it is planned to be released a non-mainstream Vega 7nm GPU ending this year, which transistor size and little improvements in the architecture should remove the weird consumption problem and push a little the performance. A new architecture (in this case Navi) uses to help the GPU to be better in solving certain tasks. but the overall performance because of the architecture uses to be tiny. Nvidia and AMD use to claim that big performance advantages between generations are because of the architecturs but it's mostly (to all) about the transistor size. Probably 2019 is the year when 7nm Vega GPUs reach the market, and meanwhile Navi should start rolling in the professional sector.

You started defending other users bet which was saying that PS5 would be released in 2019, and not in 2020 like you are saying now. Anyway, Fury X was 8.6TFLOPs at 28nm at a starting price of 650$, while Vega 64 was 12.6TFLOPs at 14nm at a starting price (but just unreal) of 500$ with a weird consumption. It is a 50% increase of power at the cost of a temporarily crazy consumption target. We will be lucky if Vega 7nm gives us another 50% increase because of the need of solving the consumption issue, but we are never ever reaching 12.6TFLOPs for a 2020 console. Just check Xbox One X, it is less than a half as powerful as the Vega 64, and still with a double Jaguar and a surprisingly low price to have 12GB of RAM and the 4K reader. A 50% increase of its power is the most likely scenario for PS5. > 8TFLOPs, < 10 TFLOPs, it really doesn't matter if in 2019 or in 2020. Navi will be available for Sony before to be available in home graphics cards, but anyway it's architecture really shouldn't be a significant fact for Sony facing the increasing price of AMD GPUs and RAM memories that they will be probably desiring to close.

If the PS5 has only 8 or 10 Tflops I suggest that SONY will only launch the PS5 in 2021. We do not have a chance to see a big generational jump with a measly 10Tflops.

Although even with 10Tflops it is perfectly possible to achieve beautiful graphics if the CPU is much better than the Jaguar X86 and also the fact that the consoles are optimizable. But anyway I'd rather keep on expecting 12Tflops at the least.

Anyway... My prediction is 12.6Tflops, 24GB, 3.0Ghz and 2Tera HDD. I may be wrong but I will continue to cheer and bet on it(November 2020).

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
That's actually an important point to make as it contextualises some of the expendiature & loss that Sony made with the PS3.

And... it also makes it all the more strange that Sony bailed on putting in a 4k bluray drive into their "4k capable" console. Off-topic rant: I really hope they have another revision of the PS4 Pro before they're done with this gen (give me 4k bluray + some decent/silent cooling and some good aesthetics, thanks Sony, charge me whatever you want).

I think they wanted to position PS4 Pro as affordable premium (and profitable too ;)) and also wanted to reap the benefits of higher profit margins on their dedicated UHD Blu-Ray players in a console generation they were dominating by going again... the Affordable Premium(tm) way.

Consoles are always cheaper than PCs with the same settings. It's always like that. I do not find this specs cited by me something so far removed from reality if the price of the console is $ 499 in November 2020. What do you think?

PS5 Specs:

7nm NAVI 12.6Tflops
24GB GDDR6 or 5x
3.0Ghz CPU
2Tera HDD

Let's get this to Mark Cerny's ears.

Last edited:

Leak

Ok... Ok... :rolleyes: Maybe $ 499...

I know these components are still expensive and will probably be expensive.

Are expensive and will be more expensive.

If the PS5 has only 8 or 10 Tflops I suggest that SONY will only launch the PS5 in 2021. We do not have a chance to see a big generational jump with a measly 10Tflops.

Although even with 10Tflops it is perfectly possible to achieve beautiful graphics if the CPU is much better than the Jaguar X86 and also the fact that the consoles are optimizable. But anyway I'd rather keep on expecting 12Tflops at the least.

Anyway... My prediction is 12.6Tflops, 24GB, 3.0Ghz and 2Tera HDD. I may be wrong but I will continue to cheer and bet on it.

If PS5 goes to 2021 then the componentes will be at least as expensive as in the previous year, and being Navi and 7nm seated its power would be even less impressive. We really haven't a chance to see a big generational jump due to several reasons:

Xbox 360 and PS3 were really elder consoles with a incredibly well harnessed hardware.
Xbox One and PS4 were weak but showing really nice graphics in low resolutions.
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are sharing games with the previous ones, mostly to awkwardly try to push the resolution the nearest possible to 4K, and trying to push too the just standarized 60fps (Halo, Battlefield...).
PS5 will be making big efforts tryinh to reach 4K being a <10TFLOPs platform.

I really wish they just stop messing with 4K to stick to checkerboarded 4K, which has much less consumption with a great result, but I'm not sure about what is going to happen here.

My prediction is <10TFLOPs, 16GB, 1 Tera HDD, 4K reader, Quad core - Eight threaded Ryzen at ~2.5Ghz. 500$ between ending 2019 - ending 2020.

Leak

And sorry again for doubleposting (why can't I edit my messages?), but don't forget about the possibility about PS4 Pro mutating to be the cheap version of PS5, starting at 300$ when the "real" PS5 arrives.

Are expensive and will be more expensive.

If PS5 goes to 2021 then the componentes will be at least as expensive as in the previous year, and being Navi and 7nm seated its power would be even less impressive. We really haven't a chance to see a big generational jump due to several reasons:

Xbox 360 and PS3 were really elder consoles with a incredibly well harnessed hardware.
Xbox One and PS4 were weak but showing really nice graphics in low resolutions.
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are sharing games with the previous ones, mostly to awkwardly try to push the resolution the nearest possible to 4K, and trying to push too the just standarized 60fps (Halo, Battlefield...).
PS5 will be making big efforts tryinh to reach 4K being a <10TFLOPs platform.

I really wish they just stop messing with 4K to stick to checkerboarded 4K, which has much less consumption with a great result, but I'm not sure about what is going to happen here.

My prediction is <10TFLOPs, 16GB, 1 Tera HDD, 4K reader, Quad core - Eight threaded Ryzen at ~2.5Ghz. 500$ between ending 2019 - ending 2020.

The aesthetic and visual leap from PS4 games to PS5 will be similar to the jump from PS3 to PS4. It was a jump lower than the PS2 for the PS3 or the PS1 for the PS2. But still it will be a satisfactory jump as it went from PS3 to PS4. The great differential of future consoles will be the ability to improve AI, physics, animation, particles, destructibility of the scenarios and size of worlds.

Maybe you're trying to make me wake up to reality by thinking I'm waiting for one of those quantum leaps that we've witnessed in past generations. But rest assured that I know that it will not go beyond the impact seen in the last generation.

The big stone in the shoe of this generation for the next will be the native 4k. I think the 4k is going to get a lot of headache for developers and we'll see some games running with checkerboard like you said. Mainly the games focused on 60fps like Halo, DOOM, Battlefield, Battlefront, Cod and etc.

Last edited:
And sorry again for doubleposting (why can't I edit my messages?), but don't forget about the possibility about PS4 Pro mutating to be the cheap version of PS5, starting at 300$ when the "real" PS5 arrives.

You are making me cry dude! Please!

PS5 will be the most powerful console in the galaxy! You can be sure! :(:(:(:(:(

tumblr_noy70ucQvl1tts3f4o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Leak

The aesthetic and visual leap from PS4 games to PS5 will be similar to the jump from PS3 to PS4. It was a jump lower than the PS2 for the PS3 or the PS1 for the PS2. But still it will be a satisfactory jump as it went from PS3 to PS4. The great differential of future consoles will be the ability to improve AI, physics, animation, particles, destructibility of the scenarios and size of worlds.

Maybe you're trying to make me wake up to reality by thinking I'm waiting for one of those quantum leaps that we've witnessed in past generations. But rest assured that I know that it will not go beyond the impact seen in the last generation.

The big stone in the shoe of this generation for the next will be the native 4k. I think the 4k is going to get a lot of headache and we'll see some games running with checkerboard like you said. Mainly the games focused on 60fps like Halo, DOOM, Battlefield, Battlefront, Cod and etc.

The biggest headache about 4K is Microsoft assuring real 4K for all the games developed by them. Anyway, I'm always wondering about AI, physics, animation, particles, destructibility of the scenarios and size of worlds, but just think about it: The best AI was in Xbox 360 with Halo Reach and Halo 4 and 5 just gone backwards. The best physics implying gameplay were in Red Faction Guerrilla and Red Faction Armageddon just gone backwards. The best destructibility of the scenarios were in Red Faction Guerrilla and Battlefield Bad Company 2 but both sagas gone backwards. Only the size of worlds is getting better but because of the sandbox fashion and the blessed CD Projekt Red studio and Star Citizen. Fortunately, they got to transfer physics work to the GPU and that's why Battlefield 1, Battlefront saga and The Order 1886 are showind this great clothing physics and particles, but never implying the playability as I would like.

Sad but true.
You are making me cry dude! Please!

PS5 will be the most powerful console in the galaxy! You can be sure!

494959.jpg

It will actually be the most powerful console in the galaxy... Just not by far :p

Leocarian

Banned
I think it's funny how you all discuss PS5 guys and how much more powerful it will be compared to PS4 Pro but why is no one asking questions about the next Xbox? Is it because we're assuming New Xbox devkits haven't been sent out yet? I'd assume if the PS5 devkit are in the wild then what does that mean for Microsoft?

I think it's funny how you all discuss PS5 guys and how much more powerful it will be compared to PS4 Pro but why is no one asking questions about the next Xbox? Is it because we're assuming New Xbox devkits haven't been sent out yet? I'd assume if the PS5 devkit are in the wild then what does that mean for Microsoft?

Probably Microsoft was already developing its new console days after the release of Xbox One X. And if they are not already making a Dev Kit available, they will be coming soon.

thelastword

Banned
If Sony is planning PS5, the best we can expect for, lets say, 2020, is a machine about a 50% more powerful than Xbox One X with a presumable price of 500 bucks, and in the meantime Xbox One X has dropped its price to 400 bucks (we can take the example, both for relative power and prices with One, PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X). But... How could Sony sell PS5 in that scenario, having a little 50% extra performance from One X but three years later when PS4 had that advantage being born next to Xbox One, and only having twice the power of PS4 Pro, which also was sold just 4 years before for 400 bucks?

Just remember my words.
To the bolded???? No, not even close to reality. In essence you are cutting the PS5 several magnitudes short, especially if you also specify a November 2020 release date. If PS5 lands as early as November 2019, it will be much more powerful than 50% more than an XBONEX, that's not even up for debate, far less a 2020 release. Realistically a GTX 1070/Vega 56 is 50% more powerful than an XBONEX.....

And yes, I will remember these words....And perhaps we can revisit these threads when the specs for PS5 goes live.... For a bit of insight though, visit some of the gaf spec threads prior to the PS4 releasing, some really gold statements in those parts, some of the first pages in these threads were pure bliss tbh... So many undershot on spec, especially ram. Some even said we would be lucky to get 4GB.....Perhaps you should revisit them. I had them saved to my favourites for posterity, but I had to clean my browser some time ago because EDGE was acting all fuzzy....

Many ate crow in this thread though..... If any one can pull up the speculation PS4 threads please oblige...

You must know this is far too unrealistic. A $400-$500 console barely 2-3 inches high isn't getting anything close to the above specs. 10-12TF, 16-24GB RAM and 500-700GB BW is more realistic.

I know PS4 was arguably in some ways conservative but in June 2012 (18 months before PS4 launched) AMD released the top HD7970 GHz edition with 4.1TF yet PS4 still ended up with "only" 1.84TF but with customisations.

There are very hard, real and modest limitations for consoles.
Yes, in some ways the PS4 spec was conservative, especially CPU, but then that was the best CPU AMD could muster at the time within budgetary constraints and thermals, but with the GPU, they had all they needed to do 1080p on most titles and beat the competition by a longshot, coupled with 8Gb's of the fastest ram, and everything fell into place....Still, what really placed PS4 as a nice piece of kit when ushered in the x86 era was the custom engineering on top.....The 20 GB/s sub bus, the GPGU functionality, the media hardware..... Since then, things have changed and tech has sped forward. It's also well known that Sony's business is something AMD takes seriously and would like to secure, so there's no doubt that working on high end, low watt high functioning processors is something AMD is well placed into.......and so they have.....I think alot of power can go in a flat box these days...So with all the node shrinks, better cooling and cheaper cpu's you can get these days, thanks to better competition, I think PS5 will be even more impressive than PS4 from a tech perspective (relative to the CPU and GPU's available on PC's at launch day of course, respectively)...but on top of that, I'm looking forward to see what custom engineering will go in with all that power this time (a beefy CPU and GPU)....

Moving on, PS3 had 256MB for video memory, 512MB total or less if you discount the OS. PS4 had 8GB total, 5.5GB for games total. SO PS4 had an uplift of 11x over PS3 in available ram for gaming alone.....RSX in PS3 was based on a 7800 GTX which comes up to 165 Gflops, so we're looking at about an 11x Increase in GPU power over the PS3 as well, notwithstanding architecture changes, custom improvements and effciencies, advanced technology, better API's etc.....Now, for the PS5 we are looking at probably what will be the biggest jump in CPU performance from PS4 to PS5.....A huge jump in GPU power from 1.84TF with an infinty fabric'd GPU.....I'd say, AMD kinda tested (on consoles slightly) since the PS4 PRO GPU design is double the PS4 vanilla where they can disable half of the GPU power for non PRO patched titles. So if we take these figures as a litmust, then 8GB should be 88GB and the TFLOP count on PS5's GPU should be 20.24TF....Of course, it's not really that simple, but it's a ball park....

Some anamolies.....

CPU performance will be more than 11x next gen. I think we can all agree. Memory is in a bit of higher bandwidth/faster ram phase as opposed to approach the 72 GB's to 128GB threshold for the moment. So 32-64GB of total system ram in a PS5 (in 2019) will be totally reasonable with that in mind......Yet, even 88GB (11x as we mentioned from PS4)-96GB of ram can still be feasible in consoles in 2020 if the ram situation is mitigated. There is a possibility, because GDDR6, HBM3 will be pushing the technology in the next year. Yet, if we think of it, more ram to load more of these large 4k and 8k textures, pushing larger, higher fidelity worlds with minimal loadtimes is not ill-placed. I remember a time when people thought 8Gb's on PS4 was overkill, but get the sensation now in 2018..?.... Game titles are getting bigger on disc, so if more of the game can fit into ram the better.....

Yet, I still don't get why we're stuck on TF count. An LC Vega is already close to 14TF, you overclock it and it's more. A 7nm Vega releasing in September this year with higher clocks, more CU's is going to make LC's 14TF look like pie, yet the PS5 is not going to launch this year. A November 2019 PS5 will be specced by early or April 2019 GPU technology and a 2020 PS5 will be specced by early 2020 or April 2020 tech at the latest. There's is no way a PS5 is as modest as a 12TF machine launching in 2019 or 2020 for that matter.................

Last edited:

Leak

I don't know if I've commented something about that, but in the forum where I posted why we could expect PS4 Pro to mutate to be the cheap version of PS5, I also said that I'm expecting Xbox One XS to be released in 2020. If my hypothesis about PS5 power is right, a Xbox One X 2 would be pointless (One X would be only 33% less powerful than PS5, as One was to PS4). So I would expect Xbox One X 2 won't be released at least until 2023. Or, still in the scenario where I am right with PS5s power, maybe Microsoft just launches a really premium system: I mean, if they retract on true 4k rendering in One X, they may try again with a 600-700€ platform with a really high-end GPU, or even go further with an SSHD or a SSD+HDD combo. People is used to pay really big amounts of money for a smartphone, and probably Microsoft and Sony have deeply thought if they would be ok about that expensive consoles.

To the bolded???? No, not even close to reality. In essence you are cutting the PS5 several magnitudes short, especially if you also specify a November 2020 release date. If PS5 lands as early as November 2019, it will be much more powerful than 50% more than an XBONEX, that's not even up for debate, far less a 2020 release. Realistically a GTX 1070/Vega 56 is 50% more powerful than an XBONEX.....

And yes, I will remember these words....And perhaps we can revisit these threads when the specs for PS5 goes live.... For a bit of insight though, visit some of the gaf spec threads prior to the PS4 releasing, some really gold statements in those parts, some of the first pages in these threads were pure bliss tbh... So many undershot on spec, especially ram. Some even said we would be lucky to get 4GB.....Perhaps you should revisit them. I had them saved to my favourites for posterity, but I had to clean my browser some time ago because EDGE was acting all fuzzy....

Many ate crow in this thread though..... If any one can pull up the speculation PS4 threads please oblige...

Be quiet man xD. Just try to explain why do you think that. Nobody expected the 8GB of GDDR5 for PS4 due to several reasons: It's latency is much worse than DDR3 (which was a problem at the beginning and today it's OS is slower than Xbox One's), no one expected that they would make PSVR, on one expected such a big pool of RAM for the OS and that great tools of recording, etc. The GDDR5 was a big movement for several reasons: Big focusing in the community (streamers popularity etc), the preparation for a probably uncertain PSVR in 2013, the easy marketing... And Sony's Playstation was in a economically sensitive movement, so they had to put all the meat on the spit. If they were in a better situation, the PS4 wouldn't have had such a great price. And well, today the RAM is more than twice as expensive.

Yes, in some ways the PS4 spec was conservative, especially CPU, but then that was the best CPU AMD could muster at the time within budgetary constraints and thermals, but with the GPU, they had all they needed to do 1080p on most titles and beat the competition by a longshot, coupled with 8Gb's of the fsatest ram, everything fell into place....Still I say what really placed PS4 as a nice piece of kit when ushered in the x86 era was the custom engineering on top.....The 20 GB/s sub bus, the GPGU functionality, the media hardware..... Since then things have changed and tech has sped forward. It's also well known that Sony's business is something AMD takes seriously and would like to secure, so there's no doubt that working on high end, low watt high functioning processors is something AMD is well placed into.......and so they have.....I think alot can of power can go in a flat box these days...So with all the node shrinks, better cooling and cheaper cpu's you can get these days thanks to better competition to intel, I think PS5 will be even more impressive than 4 from a tech perspective (relative to the CPU and GPU's available on PC's at launch of course, respectively)...but on top of that I'm looking forward to see what custom engineering will go in with all that power this time (a beefy CPU and GPU).

PS3 had 256MB for video memory, 512MB total or less if you discount the OS. PS4 had 8GB total, 5.5GB for games total. SO PS4 had an uplift of 11x over PS3 in available ram for gaming alone.....RSX in PS3 was based on a 7800 GTX which comes up to 165 Gflops, so we're looking at about an 11x Increase in GPU power over the PS3 as well, notwithstanding architecture changes, custom improvements and effciencies, advanced technology, better API's etc.....Now, for the PS5 we are looking at probably what will be the biggest jump in CPU performance from PS4 to PS5.....A huge jump in GPU power from 1.84TF with an infinty fabric'd GPU.....I'd say, AMD kinda tested (on consoles slightly) since the PS4 PRO GPU design is double the PS4 vanilla where they can disable half of the GPU power for non PRO patched titles. So if we take these figures as a litmust, then 8GB should be 88GB and the TFLOP count on PS5's GPU should be 20.24TF....Of course it's not really that simple, but it's a ball park....

Some anamolies.....

CPU performance will be more than 11x next gen. I think we can all agree. Memory is in a bit of higher bandwidth/ faster ram as opposed to approach the 72 GB's to 128GB threshold for the moment. So 32-64GB of total system ram in a PS5 (in 2019) will be totally reasonable with that in mind......Yet, even 88GB (11x as we mentioned from PS4)-96GB of ram can still be feasible in consoles in 2020 if the ram situation is mitigated. There is a possibility because GDDR6, HBM3 will be pushing the technology in the next year. Yet, if we think of it, more ram to load more of these large 4k and 8k textures, pushing larger, higher fidelity worlds with minimal loadtimes is not ill-placed. I remember a time people thought 8Gb's on PS4 was overkill, but get the sensation now in 2018. Game titles are getting bigger on disc. So if more of the game can fit into ram the better.....

I still don't get why we're stuck on TF count. An LC Vega is already close to 14TF, you overclock it and it's more. A 7nm Vega releasing in September this year with higher clocks, more CU's is going to make LC's 14TF look like pie, yet the PS5 is not going to launch this year. A November 2019 PS5 will be specced by early or April 2019 GPU technology and a 2020 PS5 will be specced by early 2020 or April 2020 tech at the latest. There's is no way a PS5 is as modest as a 12TF machine launching in 2019 or 2020 for that matter.................

My predictions are modest. They are not poor and not very big. Just modest.

PS5 will have its 12.6Tflops (3x 4.2Tflops/PS4 PRO).
Maybe Ryzen 3.0Ghz.
24GB seems logical to me.
2 Tera HDD.

This is my prediction. Save this specification to your favorite and after the announcement return to this topic and demand it. Or send me a private message.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Since people are gonna be saving this threads and statement then please save my predictions as well. I'd appriciate it. Here are my guess..

PS5

Reveal - Early 2019
Launch - Holiday 2019

11 Tflops GPU
Custom Built Ryzen 3.0 GHz or more
12 GB HBM2 Ram
Liquid Cooling
No Backwards Compatibility

Death Stranding will be a Cross-platform release for PS4/PS4 Pro and of course superior on PS5.

Next Assassins Creed also Cross Platform release similar to Assassins Creed IV Black Flag. I believe we're not getting a new AC game this year and they're now on a 2 year cycle this would make sense to line up the next AC game with a new console. Ubisoft also hinted at working on next gen titles. Now whether that meant new IPs or existing or a combo of both is a different story. Also, there is a decent chance of seeing a new Splinter Cell from Ubisoft at E3 this year. But I could be wrong. Rainbow Six was already done, Ghost recon was last year. Far Cry 5 this month.

Beyond good and evil is probably a next gen project honestly at this point and how long it will take. Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell are the only two ubisoft franchises left for resurrection. Watch Dogs 3 also possible at PS5 launch.

Next Call of Duty Cross Platform similar to how Call of Duty Ghosts was (after Black Ops 4)

Cross Platform racing game from EA.

Anthem Cross-platform plays at gorgeous native 4K at 60 FPS. The Destiny of next generation but better.

No guess on the next Xbox yet.

Last edited:
Since people are gonna be saving this threads and statement then please save my predictions as well. I'd appriciate it. Here are my guess..

PS5

Reveal - Early 2019
Launch - Holiday 2019

11 Tflops GPU
Custom Built Ryzen 3.0 GHz or more
12 GB HBM2 Ram
Liquid Cooling
No Backwards Compatibility

Death Stranding will be a Cross-platform release for PS4/PS4 Pro and of course superior on PS5.

Next Assassins Creed also Cross Platform release similar to Assassins Creed IV Black Flag. I believe we're not getting a new AC game this year and they're now on a 2 year cycle this would make sense to line up the next AC game with a new console. Ubisoft also hinted at working on next gen titles. Now whether that meant new IPs or existing or a combo of both is a different story.

Next Call of Duty Cross Platform similar to how Call of Duty Ghosts was (after Black Ops 4)

Cross Platform racing game from EA.

Anthem Cross-platform plays at gorgeous native 4K at 60 FPS. The Destiny of next generation but better.

No guess on the next Xbox yet.

If you speculate 12GB HBM2 why the hell did not you add 16GB as everyone is talking about in this topic.

SONY has already patented backward compatibility. It is not known exactly to which generation it will be applied. Whether it will be for the PS4 or for the PS5 or even for the two consoles.

Forget to see a PS5 release in early 2019 as SONY has a huge amount of exclusive games to launch during the year. Forget the possibility of seeing this console arrive even in 2019. I believe that will only arrive in 2020.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
If you speculate 12GB HBM2 why the hell did not you add 16GB as everyone is talking about in this topic.

SONY has already patented backward compatibility. It is not known exactly to which generation it will be applied. Whether it will be for the PS4 or for the PS5 or even for the two consoles.

Forget to see a PS5 release in early 2019 as SONY has a huge amount of exclusive games to launch during the year. Forget the possibility of seeing this console arrive even in 2019. I believe that will only arrive in 2020.

Was not aware of the patent link please. Just because people say 16 GB why should I also say 16 GB? 12 GB GDDR5 is different than 12 GB HBM2..

By the way you really do live up to your name. Good job. Always sound so pissed off lol.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Was not aware of the patent link please. Just because people say 16 GB why should I also say 16 GB? 12 GB GDDR5 is different than 12 GB HBM2..

By the way you really do live up to your name. Good job. Always sound so pissed off lol.

Excuse me. I don't want to be rude.

I'm just not seeing sense in 12GB because Xbox One X offers this same amount since 2017. It's obvious that the next generation will offer at least 4GB more than any current console.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Excuse me. I don't want to be rude.

I'm just not seeing sense in 12GB since the Xbox One X since 2017 offers this same amount. It's obvious that the next generation will offer at least 4GB more than any current console.

Do you know what difference is between HBM2 and GDDR5X? And if there will be increase then it won't be 16GB that's too small for such a time gap. I'd say 24 if they are increasing ram and staying with the same type.. But I doubt it.

http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/02/types-vram-explained-hbm-vs-gddr5-vs-gddr5x/

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
In my mind it makes sense for PS5 to come out in 2019 because PS4 pro came out in 2016, and since Xbox One X came out just last year I can't imagine the next Xbox coming out next year so 2020 for the next Xbox for sure.

Vallen

Neo Member
>Everyone arguing here about the power of the PS5
>Meanwhile I'm just in shock that this gen feels like it just flew by, PS4 still isn't an outdated system in my books :I

thelastword

Banned
>Meanwhile I'm just in shock that this gen feels like it just flew by, PS4 still isn't an outdated system in my books :I
No, you're right..... PS4 games don't look outdated by any means, but the wheels must keep on turning........

Still, I think such sentiment is resident before next gen rumors in any prior gen, (this gen is fine et al)... but when you see that first PS5 game screenshot or demo, it's over.....everything goes into overdrive....

Last edited:
In my mind it makes sense for PS5 to come out in 2019 because PS4 pro came out in 2016, and since Xbox One X came out just last year I can't imagine the next Xbox coming out next year so 2020 for the next Xbox for sure.

Why the hell will SONY launch a console in the same year that will be releasing a flood of PS4's exclusives? To me this does not make sense. The most that can happen is an announcement in 2019 and a launch in 2020. But before 2020 the PS5 will not reach the shelves of Walmart.

Last edited:

onQ123

Picture this: a 9TF PS5 with hardware accelerated lighting & geometry rendering.

devs doing about the same work as they are doing with a PS4 game but it look & run so much better on PS5 & even the PS4 games look & run better on PS5.

Picture this: a 9TF PS5 with hardware accelerated lighting & geometry rendering.

devs doing about the same work as they are doing with a PS4 game but it look & run so much better on PS5 & even the PS4 games look & run better on PS5.

12.6 Tflops

Graphics like this:

Convicsik

I’ve had every Sony console at launch, but if PS5 isn’t bc, it will be the first time I wait. With platforms like steam, there is really no reason that any future console shouldn’t make bc a standard feature.

bitbydeath

Why the hell will SONY launch a console in the same year that will be releasing a flood of PS4's exclusives? To me this does not make sense. The most that can happen is an announcement in 2019 and a launch in 2020. But before 2020 the PS5 will not reach the shelves of Walmart.

Well it’d be end of year for the console release right? That still leaves Jan-Nov 2019 where PS4 can release games as PS5 would not have hit shelves.

Well it’d be end of year for the console release right? That still leaves Jan-Nov 2019 where PS4 can release games as PS5 would not have hit shelves.

SONY will not be silly. They should already have industry insider information from AMD. The company knows when to do and what to do. I just hope it's a good console. A strong and well optimized console. backwards compatibility and service improvements. Otherwise it will be a frustration difficult to overcome. SONY has many exclusives and is selling very well. But at the software and services level it has to improve a lot to compare to Microsoft.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

SONY will not be silly. They should already have industry insider information from AMD. The company knows when to do and what to do. I just hope it's a good console. A strong and well optimized console. backwards compatibility and service improvements. Otherwise it will be a frustration difficult to overcome. SONY has many exclusives and is selling very well. But at the software and services level it has to improve a lot to compare to Microsoft.

The OS will probably be rebooted again.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like PS4 would seem way more outdated if PC gaming wasn't so dead. In previous generations, PC games showed what was possible for the future of consoles and it showed this during the console generation.

Now, PC gaming is just console ports at better settings. No one makes PC games anymore that are only for high-end PCs.

saobang3886

Neo Member
you guys forgot about xbox oneX, if Sony release PS5 with only 2x power ps4 pro ( mean < 2x xbox oneX). It not much compare to oneX ( about 1.5 time), can it be nextgen? And do you think MS will release Xbox two with power lower than 2x oneX? So, I bet Sony have to make PS5 at least 2x power oneX, and with that specs, it can't be sell on 2019 with the price < 500$. So, late 2020, or event 2021 is the right time, and with the spec at least like this:

>= 12TF GPU.
16GB RAM ( 2020) 24GB RAM (2021 or price 500$ in 2020).
~ 8 core ryzen 5 CPU.
1TB HDD (2020) 2TB HDD (2021).

bitbydeath

That’s just time. I’ll have to start getting Xmas presents soon, it’s already March and I swear we should still be in January.

Leocarian

Banned

Why would they launch a console in same year alongside of flood PS Exclusives?

Cause this is why - Ni No Kuni January 22nd, 2013, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time February 5th, 2013, MLB 13: The Show, March 5th, 2013 God of War: Ascension came out on March 12th, 2013, The Last of Us was released after PS4 Reveal in the summer of 2013 around E3 on June 14th 2013 and was the swan song of PS3 Era, Dragon's Crown July 25th, 2013, Puppeter September 5h, 2013, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus November 12th, 2013 few days before PS4 launch, Gran Turismo 6 was also released on December 5th, 2013 which was a major Sony exclusive franchise after PS4 was released. Obviously, on PS4 launch for exclusives, we had Killzone: Shadowfall and Knack and Resogun.

So there were no games..what?

Last edited:
you guys forgot about xbox oneX, if Sony release PS5 with only 2x power ps4 pro ( mean < 2x xbox oneX). It not much compare to oneX ( about 1.5 time), can it be nextgen? And do you think MS will release Xbox two with power lower than 2x oneX? So, I bet Sony have to make PS5 at least 2x power oneX, and with that specs, it can't be sell on 2019 with the price < 500$. So, late 2020, or event 2021 is the right time, and with the spec at least like this:

>= 12TF GPU.
16GB RAM ( 2020) 24GB RAM (2021 or price 500$ in 2020).
~ 8 core ryzen 5 CPU.
1TB HDD (2020) 2TB HDD (2021).

This will be the most likely hardware for the PS5. 12.6Tf and 3.0Ghz CPU.

Yes, this will be enough for a next generation of graphics.

Stabilize the native 4k at 30fps and add amazing graphics.

Why would they launch a console in same year alongside of flood PS Exclusives?

Cause this is why - Ni No Kuni January 22nd, 2013, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time February 5th, 2013, MLB 13: The Show, March 5th, 2013 God of War: Ascension came out on March 12th, 2013, The Last of Us was released after PS4 Reveal in the summer of 2013 around E3 on June 14th 2013 and was the swan song of PS3 Era, Dragon's Crown July 25th, 2013, Puppeter September 5h, 2013, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus November 12th, 2013 few days before PS4 launch, Gran Turismo 6 was also released on December 5th, 2013 which was a major Sony exclusive franchise after PS4 was released. Obviously, on PS4 launch for exclusives, we had Killzone: Shadowfall and Knack and Resogun.

So there were no games..what?

I would like to wait a little longer to see large hardware specs.

Top Bottom