• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

TTP said:
Since forever.

I think you are thinking party system here. That's different.

Cross game voice chat : all
Party system : gold

Pretty sure a silver member can chat with a gold member playing online.

Hmmm. . . doesn't look good for Sony, I wonder if they'll drop the price at E3 since this is a rumor anyway.

Teetris said:
Goddamn :lol
Now all we have to do is wait for the inevitable $15 package where you get Linux back

:lol

Metalmurphy said:
But you do? You claim it's hard to implement, despite common sense telling anyone that it shouldn't be.

I think the fact that if you look at cross-game invites and trophies, two features added into the SKU after the platform launched, and you notice how one is used in basically every game (and was even backported into some older games) while the other isn't used anywhere, "common sense" would dictate that one of these features is easy to implement relative to how valuable it is to developers and one is not.

Based on XBL, it would appear that the level of ease that devs feel makes cross-game invites worthwhile to implement is pretty close to "free" -- as in, having this feature "just work" once they've handled all the other network integration stuff. If you have to go out of your way to include it on PSN (beyond just adding a single call to turnOnCrossGameInvites() or whatever) then it's probably "too hard" to implement (assuming your goal is for the feature to actually be used.)

Like, ultimately, devs aren't going to sit there with a checklist of every obscure feature in the SDK to make sure they implement them; they're going to implement the ones that seem worthwhile and important to them even if those don't support the platform goals. If you're Sony, it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is; if you want to be able to say you have cross-game invites, it is up to you to find a way to make sure that developers implement them -- whether that's requiring the feature, or having it automatically work when some other more desirable feature is implemented, or sending people memos explaining how games with cross-game invites sell 20% more on average so they start to budget in the feature, or whatever.

CadetMahoney said:
Hmmm. . . doesn't look good for Sony, I wonder if they'll drop the price at E3 since this is a rumor anyway.

Representative from SCEE confirmed it, so it's far from a rumor. It's coming, and when they announce it at E3, it will have price and full feature list.

Withnail

This hour long trial thing, do people really think that Sony are going to start uploading Blu-ray games to PSN (which they've already said they're not going to do) so that people can download anything up to 50GB for an hour's worth of play time? Not going to happen. It will be PSN games or nothing I reckon.

Chrange

Banned
charlequin said:
I think the fact that if you look at cross-game invites and trophies, two features added into the SKU after the platform launched, and you notice how one is used in basically every game (and was even backported into some older games) while the other isn't used anywhere, "common sense" would dictate that one of these features is easy to implement relative to how valuable it is to developers and one is not.

Based on XBL, it would appear that the level of ease that devs feel makes cross-game invites worthwhile to implement is pretty close to "free" -- as in, having this feature "just work" once they've handled all the other network integration stuff. If you have to go out of your way to include it on PSN (beyond just adding a single call to turnOnCrossGameInvites() or whatever) then it's probably "too hard" to implement (assuming your goal is for the feature to actually be used.)

Like, ultimately, devs aren't going to sit there with a checklist of every obscure feature in the SDK to make sure they implement them; they're going to implement the ones that seem worthwhile and important to them even if those don't support the platform goals. If you're Sony, it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is; if you want to be able to say you have cross-game invites, it is up to you to find a way to make sure that developers implement them -- whether that's requiring the feature, or having it automatically work when some other more desirable feature is implemented, or sending people memos explaining how games with cross-game invites sell 20% more on average so they start to budget in the feature, or whatever.

Trophies became mandatory, that's why they're in all games. They're a selling point for Trophy whores when added to older games, so some older games had them added. I can't see anyone picking up an old game because cross-game invites had been added though.

Majine

Banned
Withnail said:
This hour long trial thing, do people really think that Sony are going to start uploading Blu-ray games to PSN (which they've already said they're not going to do) so that people can download anything up to 50GB for an hour's worth of play time? Not going to happen. It will be PSN games or nothing I reckon.
While it may be tricky in practice, I would love to be able to play full games for an hour. Way more than I want eternal demos.

tzare

cRIPticon said:
Go buy a telephone. Seriously.

This is the argument I hear so often, that people just want to talk across the network, nothing to do with the game. Just because Microsoft discovered that customers used XBL on the original XBox as a VoIP system 80% of the time, and exploited it this generation, does not mean that it is, or needs to be, a standard feature of consoles. When playing games, I prefer to pay attention to the GAME I am playing and chat with the people I am playing that game with. Everything else is just distraction.

That boat may not be as small as you think :)

this

AS long as everything free remains free it is okay for me if sony needs to make some money , i won't probably subscribe unless those features are really amazing.

Chrange said:
Trophies became mandatory, that's why they're in all games. They're a selling point for Trophy whores when added to older games, so some older games had them added. I can't see anyone picking up an old game because cross-game invites had been added though.

Which is exactly why cross-game invites won't become standard in games until PS4!

Metalmurphy said:
It's in the SDK. Can't get any easier then that...

Read an interview a couple of months ago where a Sony rep (someone high up from what I remember) stating the obvious that in hindsight Sony should have made things like that for PSN mandatory instead of open/optional for developers. I was really disappointed by the lack of features of PSN, although ironically I had a better experience on PSN in terms of no lag than I did with the premium Xbox Live. GRAW games were infamously bad netcode wise. This is the paradox of this debate

Domcorleone said:
but there aren't many hour long demos and most demos dont start you t the begining so I think it's worth it, some times demos don't properly showcase the game becUse the level they chose to show.

If this were to become standard I fear games with slow paced beginnings would go extinct.

The incentive to create a God of War like beginning would be too great. I think it could end up hurting certain genres, namely RPGs.

Withnail said:

That's a very good point, but Sony could always change the TOS to make the developers make a smaller version of the game that only has enough content for that hour, though it seems farfetched.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
crazygambit said:
That's a very good point, but Sony could always change the TOS to make the developers make a smaller version of the game that only has enough content for that hour, though it seems farfetched.

You're Sony.

You were a paralyzing distant third for a while. You got your shit together. You're now neck and neck on an ongoing basis with your competitor. Finally, developers are starting to come to you and say "What can we put on your system" instead of you having to beg them to put anything there at all. You've started to secure exclusive content. You've occasionally even ended up with the best performing best selling version of a game.

Okay.

Now you send out an edict to developers that they must supply a free demo of their game in order to be able to release it. Unlike XBLA, where the free demo has all of the content of the full game and it's just a matter of putting if(isLicensed()) { } around blocks of content, they've actually got to separately develop, compile, put through TRC, etc. this demo.

Also, even assuming that you were going to do the demo anyway or that making the demo is free, this demo is targeted at a limited audience (presumably PSN+ will take a while to take off and even at its peak not have quite the same adoption rate as XBL) so you don't even get the widespread word of mouth benefits that truly excellent demos like BioShock get.

Still want to implement that idea?

Chrange

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
You're Sony.

You were a paralyzing distant third for a while. You got your shit together. You're now neck and neck on an ongoing basis with your competitor. Finally, developers are starting to come to you and say "What can we put on your system" instead of you having to beg them to put anything there at all. You've started to secure exclusive content. You've occasionally even ended up with the best performing best selling version of a game.

Okay.

Now you send out an edict to developers that they must supply a free demo of their game in order to be able to release it. Unlike XBLA, where the free demo has all of the content of the full game and it's just a matter of putting if(isLicensed()) { } around blocks of content, they've actually got to separately develop, compile, put through TRC, etc. this demo.

Also, even assuming that you were going to do the demo anyway or that making the demo is free, this demo is targeted at a limited audience (presumably PSN+ will take a while to take off and even at its peak not have quite the same adoption rate as XBL) so you don't even get the widespread word of mouth benefits that truly excellent demos like BioShock get.

Still want to implement that idea?

You forgot that if the demo is popular and downloaded a million times it'll stick you with a big bill for the bandwidth used.

crazygambit said:
The incentive to create a God of War like beginning would be too great. I think it could end up hurting certain genres, namely RPGs.

Honestly, I think a ton of RPGs could benefit from actually constructing a first hour of play that's gripping and action-packed rather than the usual langorous "you'll be playing this for 40 hours, so it doesn't matter if you're bored!" approach.

Lagspike_exe said:
IIRC, price of a GB was 19 cents.

So $190,000 for 1 million downloads of a 1GB demo.

$950,000 for 1 million downloads of a 5GB demo.

Jesus. :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
charlequin said:
Honestly, I think a ton of RPGs could benefit from actually constructing a first hour of play that's gripping and action-packed rather than the usual langorous "you'll be playing this for 40 hours, so it doesn't matter if you're bored!" approach.

So $190,000 for 1 million downloads of a 1GB demo.

$950,000 for 1 million downloads of a 5GB demo.

Jesus. :lol

In all fairness, in my experience few demos are over 1gb. And most are less than half a gb.

Dabanton said:
So todays the day.

Do we think Sony will detail it's premium plan?

if they don't today then when?

...and it was in their fiscal briefing for this year so... i figure it must be today. info at the very least.

I just hope that, if they do launch something, it's not like some of the firmware updates that have been full of issues.

Majine

Banned
I actually don't think now is the time or the place to announce something like this.

Firmware updates, additional services and stuff probably at Gamescom. Like last year.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Majine said:
I actually don't think now is the time or the place to announce something like this.

Firmware updates, additional services and stuff probably at Gamescom. Like last year.

Nah ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Please keep online play free. Pls?

Everything will stay the same for PSN members. No worries about that.

Actually, they will get something extra for free thanks to PSN+ members.

I should stop now...

Sin

TTP said:

I should stop now...

Don't fall to temptation! D:

Paznos

TTP said:

I should stop now...
Nah keep going :) It's OK!

TTP said:

I should stop now...

That's really all that matters.

Crisis

Banned
TTP said:

I should stop now...

Hey TTP. How you doing? What's up, sexy? Listen, I ain't saying you got to tell everyone. Nah. You could just PM it to me. Ain't nobody gotta know.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP said:

I should stop now...

Even us free PSN members want more though...:D

slider

Loudninja said:
Damn you sin and TTP! ;)

Indeed.

And wouldn't you know it? I'm in the air during the actual conference so will go on spoiler alert until I can get home to watch it belatedly.

Bearing that in mind I think if anyone knows anything they should spill it now. Please. I'm getting tight across the chest. I need to know.

: (

lupinko

SolidSnakex said:
That's really all that matters.

ja98bm.jpg

Also who is that? : D

patsu

TTP said:

I should stop now...

It's completely OKAY ! We'll cover our ears when you post the details so they can't say you leak it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Oni Jazar said:
I just hope that cross game chat is coming and is free. No need to split up the users with a paid service like that.

It would be funny if its free to chat but you can only start or be invited by a premium member. Then as long as one of your friends is a premium it works.

I could see this applied to other stuff too like voice messages. Free to listen but pay to send.

Great way to lure more people into it too when they first hand experience some of the benefits.

Top Bottom