• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Retro not working on DK or Metroid, 2017 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Our girl Emily Rogers claims that Retro isn't working on Metroid, or "Fucking Donkey Kong" for that matter.

3055487-8451702324-UHAGx.png

Granted, she isn't always 100% correct (see the Female Link thing) but it's still something to consider.

Update: Thanks Emily.

About that *old* Retro Studios rumor: it came from a second hand source (game dev from Austin, TX). New IP could mean different Nintendo IP.

Hopefully we get an original Retro IP.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I thought there was a thread on this months ago when she first tweeted about this?

Maybe, didn't see anything when searched.

Still I think it is valid to bring up again in light of her Switch rumours.

Kthulhu

latest

If they're doing a new IP I'm cool with it, or resurrecting an old one. I'd be interested in seeing if Next Level would make a traditional Prime game.

Speely

Banned
Nintendo won't let them, it's safer to make them work on their popular franchises since Retro always does it so damn well.

Not against having something new though.

This has traditionally been true, but Splatoon might have changed their perspective a bit.

Fuck new IPs. New IP is overrated. There's so much potential in the IPs that Nintendo already owns and lets languish that there's no damn reason to make some new shit.

Hmmm...I'd take another Kid Icarus game. I'm sure there are a decent amount of IP's in Nintendo's back catalog that I'd love them to work on though.

RPGCrazied

Metroid is finally over huh guys? Just sell the IP Nintendo. Please. Let someone else do something with it. Sitting on it does nothing for nobody. Not you profit wise, and certainly not the fans that want another damn game.

gogojira

BREAKING

(also I trust Emily but in this case I want her to be wrong about it not being Metroid)

(but she's not 'm sure)

Sponge

Banned
I honestly wish Retro was big enough to work on two projects. If they could make Metroid and Donkey Kong, everyone would be happy.

Pretty sure it's old. And yeah, should be due for 2017.
Their last game was basically finished in 2013, that would be 4 years of development, or at least over 3.5.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly wish Retro was big enough to work on two projects. If they could make Metroid and Donkey Kong, everyone would be happy.

Were there not rumours that they had expanded the studio to focus on multiple games.

Jawmuncher

Please be a joke.

I mean not really.
Nintendo has plenty in the way of more light hearted fair. Would be interesting to see them have more "mature" their catalog. They own Eternal Darkness, they backed projects like Devils Third. So they're obviously interested in trying to get some sort of thing rolling there. I think when mature gets brought up, the instant idea is Hard M, GTAV style games which isn't the case. I know personally I use mature more to say games not of Nintendo's Typical ilk.

Stuff like Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Last Story, and such I would lump into "mature".

You forgot big enough to do 3 games. For those who don't want Metroid of DK

Please be F-Zero.
Not working on a franchise fans want despite selling poorly for another franchise that fewer fans want and sells even worse sounds like a terrible idea.
It's also not like they have experience in racing games.
outside of helping with MK7, I guess

Kimawolf

Prophecy hat:

It will be a game with a female lead, in the 3rd person shooter/action genre. Probably some kind of sci fi game or post apocalyptic world. Or pure space opera.

Because it's fucking DIDDY Kong, baby!

Anyway if it's a new IP I'm cautiously disappointed. That raven game or whatever looked super terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom