• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Kyonashi

Something like Hotel Dusk or Life is Strange have more gameplay similarities (aside from the fights!).

You just said the magic words to make me even more excited, having backed the Kickstarter yet never played a Shenmue game. Hotel Dusk is one of my all-time favourite games.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Watch it be Japan-only like the Yakuza HD remastered so far.
giphy.gif

And yeah, I highly highly highly doubt Shenmue 3 will come out this year, based on how little we've seen.

I guess that everyone thinks the same.

Spaghetti

OléGunner;236859108 said:
Thanks for the info guys, seems the similarities are more surface level in that the world is small and there's mini games etc
Very interested in a potential HD remaster of the Shenmue games, I'm a little tired of massive open worlds, especially those executed by the numbers. Hence my enjoyment a lot of Yakuza 0.
No problem. If you like environment variety too, then you're going to get a kick out of Shenmue II. The game goes places. Literally!

I guess that everyone thinks the same.
Not necessarily. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt considering there are people in this very thread who will tell you from first-hand experience that YSnet are holding a lot of stuff back for a larger venue than just a Kickstarter update.

KageMaru

I think if they improved or removed some of the load screens, added a wait option for time specific events in Shenmue 1, and tweak some controls, the games would hold up better than some think.

I would be there day one, that's for sure.

I think if they improved or removed some of the load screens, added a wait option for time specific events in Shenmue 1, and tweak some controls, the games would hold up better than some think.

As much as I would love to see tweaks and additions to the game for ease of access, I can't help feel we are lucky getting any sort of HD re-release in the first place. The Shenmue world is a huge one, from its assets, textures, sound and voice over work etc. Throw in on top of that the supposed "licensing" issues Sega are on record of saying, then I would have to applaud ant development studio for getting this game churned out in 2 years.

Spaghetti

I personally hope they include some kind of digital manual that can be accessed for control tips.

The amount of people playing Shenmue today who don't know the depth of the combat and counter system is sad.

XR7Qhdo.gif

ZnAlyPS.gif

BiM4d4T.gif

SMG

Forgot 3 was targeting 2017. Wouldn't mind next year or 19. I normal don't care about achievements but it would be amazing to play Shenmue with those to aim for.

SMG

How does the DC gameplay hold up?
Little confused. You mean the DreamCast, The controller is a pain.

The OG Shenmue games, the pad didn't have twin sticks so you either move or look around which is a little annoying, but you can get used to the stiffness after an hour and the combat is still pretty much best in class.

Little confused. You mean the DreamCast, The controller is a pain.

The OG Shenmue games, the pad didn't have twin sticks so you either move or look around which is a little annoying, but you can get used to the stiffness after an hour and the combat is still pretty much best in class.

Whilst true, PC emulation with a PS or Xbox controller and the DC analogue stick assigned to one of the PS or Xbox controller sticks and movement kept to the original D-pad means you can freely control the camera. An excellent feature that really would need to be implemented into any remake/remaster.

KageMaru

As much as I would love to see tweaks and additions to the game for ease of access, I can't help feel we are lucky getting any sort of HD re-release in the first place. The Shenmue world is a huge one, from its assets, textures, sound and voice over work etc. Throw in on top of that the supposed "licensing" issues Sega are on record of saying, then I would have to applaud ant development studio for getting this game churned out in 2 years.

Unfortunately I agree with you and I don't see Shenmue 1 being received very well because it'll be a straight port. With any luck, the lodge times and joystick mapping are addressed. I understand that nothing is easy with ports or development but I'm hoping load times are improved just by the sheer leap in technology and that mapping controls to the analog sticks isn't too difficult to do.

Otherwise I see many of today's gamers being critical towards the first game like we saw in the Giant Bomb Endurance Run thread.

I'll still love it in the end though.

I personally hope they include some kind of digital manual that can be accessed for control tips.

The amount of people playing Shenmue today who don't know the depth of the combat and counter system is sad.

XR7Qhdo.gif

ZnAlyPS.gif

BiM4d4T.gif

That is an awesome idea. I don't think Shenmue receives enough credit for the combat mechanics.

Yohane

To be fair, Shenmue has like, what, 3-4 1min fights total?
Shenmue II like 5-6 total?

Not that much to fully appreciate the combat system

Spaghetti

To be fair, Shenmue has like, what, 3-4 1min fights total?
Shenmue II like 5-6 total?

Not that much to fully appreciate the combat system
No. There are more than that, which you should know if you've played the games.

Shenmue II has more than 6 mandatory fights in the final area of the Kowloon section alone. Probably upwards of 10 if you count the ones you can skip/that are added through branching narrative. Don't bullshit.

EDIT: I even went and quickly skimmed through a playthrough of Disk 3 of the original. There are close to 10 or over fights in that part of the game alone, including the 70-man battle.

Jazzem

I'm weirdly terrified in a way to revisit Shenmue, I'm not sure I'll have as much patience for some of its slower elements these days...If nothing else, dead eyed children talking about their love for capsule toys will be an odd nostalgia trip :p

I'd certainly buy a remaster in any case, want Sega to keep doing these (Skies of Arcadia pleaseeeee)

sgtmofo

Neo Member
If this is true, hopefully Ryo's jacket can get some increased fidelity. I saw some screens and forgot what a blurry mess it is.

fryguy81

Neo Member
They'd be insane not to do a re-release. The response to the kickstarter had to have clued everyone in to the overwhelming desire for the 3rd game and after 16 years(?), it'd be crazy not to re-release the first two games in either a straight port or remastered.
Granted the ways of publishers are like the ways of wizards, but it'd be almost suicidal to Shenmue III's release to not have the first two games out before it as a refresher or to entice new gamers who only know of the game as one knows a legend or myth.

Ric Flair

Banned
No. There are more than that, which you should know if you've played the games.

Shenmue II has more than 6 mandatory fights in the final area of the Kowloon section alone. Probably upwards of 10 if you count the ones you can skip/that are added through branching narrative. Don't bullshit.

EDIT: I even went and quickly skimmed through a playthrough of Disk 3 of the original. There are close to 10 or over fights in that part of the game alone, including the 70-man battle.
Oh my God, guys, it's been over a decade since those games came out. You seriously skimmed through a playthrough to find out how many fights there are?

Apologies for the bump, but a slight development related to this has been noticed by Kiske over at the Shenmue Dojo. The same author of the rumored Shenmue HD article, "I love Japanese Games" also wrote an article with the rumor of a Parappa the Rappa and Gitaroo crossover game, which was basically confirmed on Friday with the launch of a website:

Rumor article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit/

Confirmed article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit-confirmed/

Now, whilst we still are no closer to Shenmue HD, this example certainly does bolster the reliability of the author of the original Shenmue HD article, and that his/her source from Altus is indeed legitimate. As to why we haven't had an announcement yet remains unknown, but hopefully we won't have that long to wait!

I wouldn't read much into the Rice Digital + Gitaroo Man rumours as meaning that Rice Digital would be a credible source for Shenmue HD rumours:

-Rice Digital are practically owned by PQube. The website was founded by PQube's head of marketing.
-PQube are involved with Project Rap Rabbit. Note that a lot of the social media presence and push for the game is being led by Rice Digital, this is unlikely to be coincidental. The Twitter account for Project Rap Rabbit went live in April, one of the very few accounts that it follows is a project manager at PQube, who is handling communications duties for the game.

I'd interpret the Rice Digital Project Rap Rabbit posts as well-orchestrated marketing or PR rather than the confirmation of an insider rumour :p

ffvorax

Never played it but backed 3 just to make people happy... so would buy to experience that game first time.... if true...

Spaghetti

Oh my God, guys, it's been over a decade since those games came out. You seriously skimmed through a playthrough to find out how many fights there are?
The other poster said something categorically false and I corrected them.

I only skimmed part of a playthrough of the original game because I couldn't remember off the top of my head how many fights there were in the final section of the game.

What's the problem?

Spaghetti

Edit: question; is Shenmue in the same universe as virtua Fighter? Or is Virtua Fighter a game in the Shenmue world?
Virtua Fighter is a game in the Shenmue world. At least, in so much as you'll find capsule toys based on the series and posters/images of characters in places around the game world.

However, Shenmue was originally Virtua Fighter RPG and shares a revised multi-opponent fighting system with inputs and moves similar (or outright lifted) from VF.

I wouldn't read much into the Rice Digital + Gitaroo Man rumours as meaning that Rice Digital would be a credible source for Shenmue HD rumours:

-Rice Digital are practically owned by PQube. The website was founded by PQube's head of marketing.
-PQube are involved with Project Rap Rabbit. Note that a lot of the social media presence and push for the game is being led by Rice Digital, this is unlikely to be coincidental. The Twitter account for Project Rap Rabbit went live in April, one of the very few accounts that it follows is a project manager at PQube, who is handling communications duties for the game.

I'd interpret the Rice Digital Project Rap Rabbit posts as well-orchestrated marketing or PR rather than the confirmation of an insider rumour :p

I won't deny that angle on the part of PQube, the author also predicted that Altus would publish King of Fighters XIV before it was announced. Don't get me wrong, I know we shouldn't put too much weight into these "rumors", but it does over a little bit more credibility over the pop up BS gaming sites that no one's ever heard of, or trusts.

I won't deny that angle on the part of PQube, the author also predicted that Altus would publish King of Fighters XIV before it was announced. Don't get me wrong, I know we shouldn't put too much weight into these "rumors", but it does over a little bit more credibility over the pop up BS gaming sites that no one's ever heard of, or trusts.

I didn't know about King of Fighters XIV, so you might be on to something there. And a site with connections with a publisher is more likely to hear murmurings on the publishing side of things for some titles - would you say Deep Silver is probably distributing Shenmue HD over here if it happens?

Theonik

I didn't know about King of Fighters XIV, so you might be on to something there. And a site with connections with a publisher is more likely to hear murmurings on the publishing side of things for some titles - would you say Deep Silver is probably distributing Shenmue HD over here if it happens?
Deep Silver is doing physical Yakuza Kiwami so it's not out of the question.

umm the link from the op does not go anywhere..."this link is inactive".

I appears that the link in the OP gives the "this link is inactive" error if you left click on it, but if you open the link in a new tab (e.g. by middle clicking) it should work then. I updated the OP with a note about this.

Certainly not out of the question, but to be honest, the Rice Digital "rumor" is the most solid piece of information we have on the existence of a Shenmue HD remaster, outside of hopes and dreams stirred up by the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. Sega's last official stance was that Shenmue, "had their full attention", and that they were, "exploring licensing issues". That, and also that Sega had legitimately purchased the domain www.shenmuehd.com back last year.

What's interesting for me personally, is that the Rice Digital article cites a PC release only, yet in Tokyo last year I had the opportunity to sit with an ex SIE employee who is now at Riot Games. He chose his words carefully, but he said he had heard from his old colleagues, and just assured me that Shenmue would be well looked after by Sony. That's why they offered help with Shenmue 3. I clarified the context of that remark, if it concerned HD remasters, and he said yes, including HD remasters. Sony is all in with Shenmue, and he went further to say Shuehi has great respect for Yu Suzuki, and keeps Shenmue close to his heart.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
never played the Shenmue games however I know there is a huge cult following, how long does each game last roughly, story wise no side objectives? Also how many side objectives are there minus working for money such as lucky hit etc

Never played it but backed 3 just to make people happy... so would buy to experience that game first time.... if true...

I played and enjoyed the first one, but never played 2 (had an NA Dreamcast and no Xbox).

I backed 3 because I still believe in the concept, and because Yu Suzuki needed our help. Looking forward to it, but I'd love to play through the second one first.

Top Bottom