• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Sony may have purchased Ballistic Moon

kyliethicc

Where theres smoke, theres fire.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/son...game-according-to-motion-capture-actor-resume

Sipping Tea Time GIF
yeah sony's publishing their game no shit, sony said that

none of that is smoke of a studio purchase

kiphalfton

What does their logo look like. I can think of two things when I think of "ballistic" and "moon"... well technically 4.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Probably partnership to make a game similar to Until Dawn partnership. Hopefully the quality is akin to Until Dawn and The Quarry and not the mid Dark Anthology

SSfox

I think they should have aquired Quantic Dream, they're so much better and peak for the genre.

But Until Dawn was a pretty cool game tho, Ok Purchase i'd say but nothing mindblowing as usual with Sony recently

Last edited:

AmuroChan

According to Sacred Symbols, a website called Pitchbook lists Ballistic Moon as a 47-person studio having been acquired by Sony.

Yea, just saw that. And before people dismiss the source because they've never heard of Pitchbook, Pitchbook is a legit company that tracks venture capital and M&A data. A single license annual membership at Pitchbook costs thousands of dollars.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yea, just saw that. And before people dismiss the source because they've never heard of Pitchbook, Pitchbook is a legit company that tracks venture capital and M&A data. A single license annual membership at Pitchbook costs thousands of dollars.

From what little I know of who works at Ballistic Moon, this MAY be Sony's answer to anyone who wanted them to pick up Quantic Dream or Supermassive. Sounds like there are a number of people whose resume includes Until Dawn and Heavy Rain.

Baki

Pitchbook relies on scraping public data and company disclosures for its data set. Their data is not always accurate.

Last edited:
John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

Interesting, wonder where this leads. Sounds promising if by ex super massive games. Loved until dawn and can't wait to start the quarry.

This is sad, people getting excited over studio aquisition that has ZERO games under its belt. I dont know why anyone cares about this stuff, just hope for better games, I couldnt care who buys or doesnt buy out a studio. There were plenty good games in the past without SONY or MS owning them.

Topher

Gold Member
This is sad, people getting excited over studio aquisition that has ZERO games under its belt. I dont know why anyone cares about this stuff, just hope for better games, I couldnt care who buys or doesnt buy out a studio. There were plenty good games in the past without SONY or MS owning them.

I'm not seeing a lot of folks "getting excited" over this. Most are making fun of their name.

vivftp

Sony's been doing good work with helping fledgling studios on their first projects. KojiPro is the most obvious. Then we've got Haven, Deviation and Firewalk. There could be many more, given the sheer number of new studios popping up. Folks should be excited that more games will be developed by more studios with veteran talent behind them. Having a massive backer like SIE funding them helps to give those new studios every possible chance at success.

Some may get acquired like Haven who got picked up before their first project even launched. If an acquisition happens under those circumstances then obviously that means Sony was impressed enough with the studio and their work to pull the trigger. Now whether they've actually acquired Ballistic or not, who knows.

You realize that Sony would be making the game in this case? It's not like the studio had worked on anything prior...

You realize that Sony would be making the game in this case? It's not like the studio had worked on anything prior...

So what if SONY is making the game? Are these studios incapable of making their own games without Sony or MS? Supermassive made a ton of games in the same vein as Until Dawn, same exact formula for like 8 titles. Im supposed to get excited for what exactly because I think The Quarry worked out jsut fine even without the acquisition. I dont understand the hype for something that hasnt produced anything yet. As a gamer, that means nothing to us, for SONY its a move for the future of their branding but people making a big deal out of these acquisitions as if this solidifies that there will be an AAA+++ game coming out. Just look at MS and RARE, since the aquisition, how many actually popular games have RARE released that were on par as when they were not acquired?

vivftp vivftp

KojiPro is a different story, they have proven track record of beloved titles. Now, did DS create big buzz as their MGS titles did? Not really but it was enough for a sequel. I actually had to look up the studios you mentioned because I never heard of them and surprise, after a year later, they still dont have a game title or any reveal of what they are working on. One studio has "2" people from Treyarch, a company with 200+ employees. Remember when Driveclub got shot down so the original team, not all, was making OnRush, game failed faster than any indie game could. All Im saying is, I get excited by games not by some business move a company makes because at the end of the day, the end product could be a dud. Extra funding doesn't mean confirmed success. Just look at The Order 1886.

So what if SONY is making the game? Are these studios incapable of making their own games without Sony or MS? Supermassive made a ton of games in the same vein as Until Dawn, same exact formula for like 8 titles. Im supposed to get excited for what exactly because I think The Quarry worked out jsut fine even without the acquisition. I dont understand the hype for something that hasnt produced anything yet. As a gamer, that means nothing to us, for SONY its a move for the future of their branding but people making a big deal out of these acquisitions as if this solidifies that there will be an AAA+++ game coming out. Just look at MS and RARE, since the aquisition, how many actually popular games have RARE released that were on par as when they were not acquired?

vivftp vivftp

KojiPro is a different story, they have proven track record of beloved titles. Now, did DS create big buzz as their MGS titles did? Not really but it was enough for a sequel. I actually had to look up the studios you mentioned because I never heard of them and surprise, after a year later, they still dont have a game title or any reveal of what they are working on. One studio has "2" people from Treyarch, a company with 200+ employees. Remember when Driveclub got shot down so the original team, not all, was making OnRush, game failed faster than any indie game could. All Im saying is, I get excited by games not by some business move a company makes because at the end of the day, the end product could be a dud. Extra funding doesn't mean confirmed success. Just look at The Order 1886.
Comparing Sony’s studio management to Xboxes is disingenuous. Sony’s track record of funding small studios and success of acquisition is second to none.

Through their methods of funding and eventual acquisition they’ve had success with the following:

Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games
Guerrilla Games
BluePoint Games
Sucker Punch Productions
Firesprite
Media Molecule
Housemarque

Out of all of the publishers around, the safest bet you can make with regards to funding and success is with PlayStation, even if the studio doesn’t get acquired.

There are some games that aren’t successful along the way of course, but PlayStations hit ratio is pretty damn great.

The talent at this studio is encouraging and with XDev on the case (amazing initiative) then the likelihood of this being great is up there.

Sony's been doing good work with helping fledgling studios on their first projects. KojiPro is the most obvious. Then we've got Haven, Deviation and Firewalk. There could be many more, given the sheer number of new studios popping up. Folks should be excited that more games will be developed by more studios with veteran talent behind them. Having a massive backer like SIE funding them helps to give those new studios every possible chance at success.

Some may get acquired like Haven who got picked up before their first project even launched. If an acquisition happens under those circumstances then obviously that means Sony was impressed enough with the studio and their work to pull the trigger. Now whether they've actually acquired Ballistic or not, who knows.

It kind of goes both ways.

If studio leadership believes in their product and their team, they probably don't sell until after their first project releases and get significantly higher value as a result.

I think Sony likes Jade Raymond and wanted incorporation in Canada. I doubt they bought Haven for that much.

Comparing Sony’s studio management to Xboxes is disingenuous. Sony’s track record of funding small studios and success of acquisition is second to none.

Through their methods of funding and eventual acquisition they’ve had success with the following:

Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games
Guerrilla Games
BluePoint Games
Sucker Punch Productions
Firesprite
Media Molecule
Housemarque

Out of all of the publishers around, the safest bet you can make with regards to funding and success is with PlayStation, even if the studio doesn’t get acquired.

There are some games that aren’t successful along the way of course, but PlayStations hit ratio is pretty damn great.

The talent at this studio is encouraging and with XDev on the case (amazing initiative) then the likelihood of this being great is up there.

I agree that they have the best track record in the industry in terms of developing studios and maturing them to new levels.

Now that they're doing more multiplatform, they should have significantly higher revenue opportunities. Big test around TLOUP1 on P1 and TLOU Online.

AmuroChan

Pitchbook relies on scraping public data and company disclosures for its data set. Their data is not always accurate.

They're accurate enough that people are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a membership. Also, members can submit for a correction if any of the data is wrong. This coupled with the Sony job listing that "accidentally" listed BM as a first party studio makes the evidence pretty compelling.

Varteras

Gold Member
Fuck I hate consolidation...

This gets a tad bit of Leeway because we have no clue what this studio can produce yet.

This is just the future of gaming I suppose.

More of this then, more unknown smaller talents being bought up. But fuck I wish gaming would get less exclusive and walled off.

Oh My George Takai GIF

Top Bottom