• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Uncharted 4 DLC to be focused on Sam, standalone, reveal at PSX

IMO Sam really isn't interesting enough to carry his own adventure. I wish they'd do a 'young' Sully expansion,it's obvious throughout the series that he was a scoundrel in his prime and I think playing as him jive-talking and swindling his way out of danger would be more interesting.

dr_rus

Shocking.

Yeah. They are obviously setting up Sam as a protagonist of the next several UC games made not by ND.

I wonder how much of a stand alone UC story they'll be able to tell in a DLC though.

IMO Sam really isn't interesting enough to carry his own adventure. I wish they'd do a 'young' Sully expansion,it's obvious throughout the series that he was a scoundrel in his prime and I think playing as him jive-talking and swindling his way out of danger would be more interesting.

Sully is a supporting actor, he should stay this way.

Vuze

Ughhh, Sam... couldn't care less. DLC about
the daughter
or prominently Sully would've been cool.

dr_rus

Sam wasn't?

No, Sam was a new character introduced in UC4, and they are clearly making him the protagonist of any future UC games. Which is fine, I think, if they'll be able to improve his personality to be more fleshed out and interesting.

No, Sam was a new character introduced in UC4, and they are clearly making him the protagonist of any future UC games. Which is fine, I think, if they'll be able to improve his personality to be more fleshed out and interesting.

He still wasn't any bigger a part of this game, new character or otherwise, than Sully was in earlier adventures. Sully is already interesting enough to stand as a protagonist if they wanted to go that route, where if you need to actually improve Sam's personality to make him interesting.....what does that say? IMO they should do a prequel game showing Sully and young Drake ala Uncharted 3. Shows us Sully in his prime, as well as planting the seeds with Nathan for who he would become.

Bolivar687

Banned
I wish they would just make a new game starring Troy Baker, if that's what they really wanted to do. Shoehorning it into the Uncharted finale was a mistake.

If anyone needed a DLC campaign it's Chloe.

dr_rus

He still wasn't any bigger a part of this game, new character or otherwise, than Sully was in earlier adventures. Sully is already interesting enough to stand as a protagonist if they wanted to go that route, where if you need to actually improve Sam's personality to make him interesting.....what does that say?

Sully is a supporting cast for Drake, it wouldn't make much sense to just switch to Sully now, five games after he was a secondary character. I also see no benefit in any of the "historical" options people seem to crave for here - like playing as a young Sully (and playing as an old Sully makes even less sense) or even as Drake's parents. UC is a modern day adventure, that's how it should stay - if it even will continue after this DLC at all.

DR2K

Banned
Great. The DLC is just this stupid bland not Drake, Drake. So exciting. He dragged the main campaign down and now gets to to drag the add on content.

Hm, I hope it's fun. Unfortunately, Sam (forgot his name) was dull and fit the dour and self-serious tone of the game perfectly. I don't even know if Chloe could pull something interesting out of his character.

Sully is a supporting cast for Drake, it wouldn't make much sense to just switch to Sully now, five games after he was a secondary character. I also see no benefit in any of the "historical" options people seem to crave for here - like playing as a young Sully (and playing as an old Sully makes even less sense) or even as Drake's parents. UC is a modern day adventure, that's how it should stay - if it even will continue after this DLC at all.

Well we see it differently, not much sense in going back and forth over it. Sam, to me, isn't an interesting character to stand on his own and they didn't do enough in this game to make me care about a personal adventure with him as the star. If you're fine with a game starring him, where they give him the personality lacking in this one, wonderful. I don't find value in a 'modern' Sam adventure because U4 didn't do anything to make me care about the character. And when we're talking 'historical' options? Drake was how old in the kid sections of U3? A young teenager? We're talking a 20 year difference between that and how he's been depicted as a man in his 30's prime. I don't see where going back 20 years is going to adversely affect their ability to craft a good adventure around characters we've already invested 10 years in. They've already teased 'young' Drake in the last 2 main games so I'm not sure why going back in time would be an issue.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wow. Introduce a new character that no one cares about and then double down on that character by making new DLC for it.

It's almost like Lightning in FF XIII and its sequels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. More Uncharted is fine with me as I don't really care about anything else ND has made after Jak 1.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was hoping they would have fleshed out some of the
exploration adventures that Drake, Elena and their daughter had, that you can see on the front pags of magazines at the end of the game.

I was hoping they would have fleshed out some of the
exploration adventures that Drake, Elena and their daughter had, that you can see on the front pags of magazines at the end of the game.

How about a straight up stand alone Elena story? Now that would be awesome.

I'll keep an open mind but yeah Sam was imo the worst part of UC4.

I would have fucking loved a DLC that dealt with the Henry Avery era, him looting the Grand Mughal fleet that gave him his treasure, and the establishment of Libertalia. Could have easily done it in two or three episodes. I have nearly infinite questions on how all that went down, whereas I couldn't really give any shits about what life in prison was like for Sam or his adventures during the retcon period between UC3 and UC4 when Sully basically got semi-erased and replaced with Sam.

Hell, a DLC dealing with a young Sully would be more interesting.

Bladenic

That's cool I guess, I would've preferred a DLC focused on the missing Chloe and Cutter but I knew that was a pipe dream

Sam was the worst part of U4, so meh

The pacing, drawn out walk and talk, drawn out platforming and exposition were the worst parts. Sam wasn't a bad character at all and Baker did a great job. Maybe the accent was inconsistent but in terms of game performances it was up there.

SpartanN92

Banned
Why do people dislike Sam???

I just finished the game today and I LOVED Sam.

And the people asking for a Cassie DLC... she's a gawky goofy teenager. It won't be a running/jumping/shooting Uncharted adventure with her as the lead.

Really baffled by how much hate Sam is getting. I mean sure, he's an arragant, slapable goit, but that's older brothers in a nutshell, and I'm incredibly excited for another story with him, especially alongside Sully.

Top Bottom