• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Uncharted 4 DLC to be focused on Sam, standalone, reveal at PSX

Sam just seemed dull as a character. So was whoever that new enemy guy was. So was the African woman. None of them won me over the way Chloe, Cutter, or Marlowe did (the other post-Nate, Sully, Elena characters.) To be fair, it could be because they never had the chance to shine in such a dull game.

So that's why a Sam DLC doesn't excite me.

It's hip to dislike Uncharted 4 and Sam is an easy target with him being new. Me? It's easily my favourite Uncharted thanks to the bigger focus on story, lesser focus on combat.

For me the story pacing was definitely below the amazing gameplay sections, Madagascar was incredible and the second half had better game design but the exposition and amount of padding in the first half and even in the second half dragged it down.

I liked the story itself, but I can name more than one chapter that could have been greatly pared down or even cut completely. But when it's actually moving and trying to be a videogame, it's absolutely top of the class stuff. ND really needs to figure out how to balance these things out as pacing is absolutely tantamount to this style of thing.

silva1991

there is nothing likeable about Sam. I couldn't stand personality and attitude.

It also doesn't help that he was introduced in the more serious with the least sense of humor game in the series(huge part of the characters charisma is their sense of humor for me)

there is nothing likeable about Sam. I couldn't stand personality and attitude.

It also doesn't help that he was introduced in the more serious with the least sense of humor game in the series(huge part of the characters charisma is their sense of humor for me)

His actions ended up doing something beautiful for Nathan and Elena.

Griss

Good, I can save my money.

As for the people asking why people dislike Sam, the whole story trends in one direction emotionally and morally and then Sam doesn't get dealt with in a way that reflects said direction. There is one specific moment near the end of the game where Sam makes a decision that should be pretty final regarding how his story arc plays out. Instead we get cop-outs.

Sam is selfish, secretive, jealous and annoying, and if that wasn't enough he's an ugly fucker too. (Assuming it's okay to say that about fictional characters.) And considering the story was more Sam's than Drake's, all of this was a massive problem.

He was terrible, and he dragged Drake down.

I wonder if playing off of Sully can make Sam an interesting character.

Sully is incredible, but some things are surely beyond even him.

HeelPower

Garbage character.Should've focused on Nadine.Do something unexpected for once.

But they better explain why Sam and Rafe's nonsensical animosity exists in the first place.

That was a huge plot hole in the main game.Why is Rafe ready to go the ends of the earth to kill that guy ? Why was Sam motivated to turn his back on a long time friend who let him out of Jail ?

Rafe actually remembered & cared about Sam when Nathan didn't give a fuck about him.Nothing in the flash back leads you to believe Rafe,Nate & Sam had any problem working together as a trio either.

What a mess of a plot UC4 was.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
probably the least interesting direction they could've gone in but still excited

Expected and not disappointed if true. Chloe needs to join up though. iirc in her letter it said shes still working. No reason for Sully not to bring her in if so.

On second thought, keep Chloe out of this. I want to remember her the way she was in 2 and 3. Bad enough they drained the life from the rest of the cast.

SpartanN92

Banned
It's hip to dislike Uncharted 4 and Sam is an easy target with him being new. Me? It's easily my favourite Uncharted thanks to the bigger focus on story, lesser focus on combat.

That's definitely why I think that 4 might even top 2 for me.

U4 is incredible and I can't wait for more Sam/Sully

Ugh, Sam? Pretty much the only way to dissolve my interest. Sully and Chloe, and I'd be on board.

EDIT:

Actually Chloe and anyone and I'd be on board. Easily the best Uncharted character.

Unknown?

Garbage character.Should've focused on Nadine.Do something unexpected for once.

But they better explain why Sam and Rafe's nonsensical animosity exists in the first place.

That was a huge plot hole in the main game.Why is Rafe ready to go the ends of the earth to kill that guy ? Why was Sam motivated to turn his back on a long time friend who let him out of Jail ?

Rafe actually remembered & cared about Sam when Nathan didn't give a fuck about him.Nothing in the flash back leads you to believe Rafe,Nate & Sam had any problem working together as a trio either.

Uh it explains in the beginning that Nathan did all he could to find him. Nate didn't give a fuck? I think you're taking liberties of rewriting the story. Obviously Rafe would have more resources to get information than Nathan.

Sam is awful and I don't understand the defense squad. He repeatedly puts his brothers life in danger and his brothers relationship over his selfishness and he never really gets punished for that.

I know the Uncharted series doesn't ever really show karma for the leads but it's especially bad with Sam.

Completely unlikeable and uninteresting and a dumb retcon to boot.

nampad

Young Sully or Chloe would have been much preferred but beggars can't be choosers, as long it is Uncharted I am sure it will be great.

Haha what...are you sure you played the game?

Rafe wanted to kill Sam because Sam dicked him over and was competing to find the treasure that Rafe was basically building his reputation on. Sam betrayed Rafe because he wanted to find the treasure with his little brother, not a psychopath who got him shot up and stuck in prison. Rafe didn't care about Sam, he just wanted his help to get the treasure. Nate cared about Sam but he thought he was dead.

You think they worked well as a trio? Did you miss the part where Nate thought Rafe was a prick, and Rafe then psycho murdererd a dude which led to Sam "dying".

There was no plot hole there.

Top Bottom