• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] XBOX 360 to be discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocoworm

From the MS E3 show thread. All links are in the original post at the link below:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=167967249

I'm gonna leave this here since I can't create new threads.

One of our partners was informed by his distributors that the Xbox 360 is going to be discontinued Worldwide. Microsoft aims to boost Xbox One sales and force developers to focus on it's current platform.

I really don't think this is going to be announced at E3, but the memo should follow soon after.

We firmly believe the info is real, coming from the same source that sent us all about MSI's AMD 300 series last week.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If you want to play offline, we had a product for that.

Dremark

Banned
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=167967249

I'm gonna leave this here since I can't create new threads.
One of our partners was informed by his distributors that the Xbox 360 is going to be discontinued Worldwide. Microsoft aims to boost Xbox One sales and force developers to focus on it's current platform.
I really don't think this is going to be announced at E3, but the memo should follow soon after.

We firmly believe the info is real, coming from the same source that sent us all about MSI's AMD 300 series last week.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they are going to wait for the PS3 to be discontinued first. If I'm not mistaken they stated that it's lifespan would last longer than the PS3's.

Havik

seems really wierd, ppl who are still buying 360's now aren't going to buy a xboxone when its discontinued, probably cant afford one or they want to play specific games.

Ultima_5

possibly incorporating some sort of backwards compatibility?

either some sort of attachment for the xbox one to play 360 games?

Or a 360 online store?

Seems odd to discontinue a system when they should be making a huge profit on old units.

Percy

Banned
360 is still selling well, so this would be such a dumb ass move.

If they'd really do such a thing to try to "force developers to focus" on Xbox One... yeesh...

Could see that backfiring badly.

t26

I'm pretty sure they are going to wait for the PS3 to be discontinued first. If I'm not mistaken they stated that it's lifespan would last longer than the PS3's.[/QUOTE]
PS3 can last for more years as japan is not moving to ps4. Games like new tales and star ocean are going to be on ps3. 360 doesn't have that kind of support

watership

Don't believe this for a second. Maybe the old model and there is now a low cost one coming. They just updated the OS with a bunch of new features including the ability to support 2 TB expandable drives. So, I'm not buying it.

spons

Gold Member
Phil has said that that 360's Online/Xbox Live will at least run through the entirety of 2016.

JCX

Kind of glad. We need to move on to next gen. Also, they may do more sales/cuts on existing 360s to clear stock. Sounds like a win-win.

Brofield

I'm pretty sure they are going to wait for the PS3 to be discontinued first. If I'm not mistaken they stated that it's lifespan would last longer than the PS3's.

Honestly, I'm sure that was their ego talking. I'd sooner believe the remaining PS3s in existence will be there to witness the decay of the last proton in the universe before the 360 outlives PS3.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Would be shocked. Still sells, makes pure profit, and is another gateway into the ecosystem. Unless they mean the 360E with the mini coming.

RdN

I don't believe this will happen, but I wish it did.

360 had a fantastic run, but it's time for it to retire so all the focus, be it from Ms or Developers, be on the current platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom