• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One leaking liquid? - Two cases reported so far

Oh boy. Sit down as it's kind of a long story. Here it goes...

Basically I was one of the few kids in my group that had a DC right at launch. I didn't really know this guy too well, but he hung out with some of the guys in the group. (Didn't really engage with too many of us though.) Just to make things easier, let's call him Terry. Soon as Terry found out I had a Dreamcast, he tried to get really chummy, and begged, and begged me for two weeks straight to lend him my console.

Me (like a total idiot) finally gave in and agreed. I bring the console to school and we both agree he'll keep it for a day or two and bring it back. That very night, he calls me at home, saying it won't turn on. My heart sinks and I keep trying to tell him to try and unplug it for a bit, or power it on with different games. He claims nothing works and that he "found short curly hairs" in it. I don't even know what to make of the last bit, and just demand that he returns it tomorrow.

Sure enough, next day at school, Terry brings it back. Along with the console, he tries to give me a tiny zip-lock bag with...what looks like pubes in it. He claims he found them in my Dreamcast, and makes sure to say it loud enough and hold it out long enough for everyone to see and hear. At this point, I'm pissed but realize it's all totally my fault for trusting essentially a stranger. I chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.

Fast forward a month or two, I'm at a birthday party and Terry's name comes up. (Turns out he left an impression on many as being a habitual liar about all sorts of shit.) I proceed to tell my sob-story. At which point one of my friend's friend lets me know that Terry totally bought a Dreamcast on launch day. He said for "some reason" (we'll get to this later) his console stopped working, and he couldn't play anything for a while. Until suddenly, it all started working just fine again.

Basically, this dude had a Dreamcast, and he ruined it. Came to me to "borrow" mine, and switched it with his bricked one, and used freaking "pubes" of all things as an alibi. The guy at the party regularly tutored him or his sister (not really sure), so he asked me if I still had his ruined one that he gave me. (I still hoped one day it'd magically boot up again.) I gave it to the dude, and he totally ninja-switched his bricked DC with my working one and returned mine to me.

Oh as to how his OG console that he bought just magically stopped working: The guy at the party said one time he walk in on his room, and Terry, in a totally frazzled manner, looked like he just hurriedly shoved his uh, member, back in his briefs. With his Dreamcast on his bed with him, and him wearing nothing else other than his underwear that he possibly just put on as he saw the guy walking in. That along with his freaking choice of an alibi that he tried to spin on me was just...pure WTF-ery.

I shudder to think of what he might have actually tried/done with my actual Dreamcast, but at least it seemed clean and was still working.

Fuck Terry. Fuck him right in the ass with a cactus laced with acid.

WAT!

We're so close to New Years and this is looking to be the best thread of 2013.

Oily/sticky like substance according to the guy who posted the pictures.

Its liquid. And smoke.

Liquid. In hardware. How does that happen I have no fucking idea but I consider that very grave even if it doesn't pose an actual problem to the hardware or its use. I mean, I know a few people who would freak the fuck out if there's some weird liquid over their console or even smoke. I would freak out.

i think some capacitors have dielectric fluid inside them. so if one popped it's possible that in a gaseous form it rose out of the console only to cool as a "oily/sticky" residue on the vents.

frontieruk

There are widespread hardware issues?

Faulty power bricks seem common with the xbone, both systems suffer from CTD in certain games but are they being complained about? This might as well be this might as well be that one guy with a faulty ps4 gpu who had it replaced #shrugs

Faulty power bricks seem common with the xbone, both systems suffer from CTD in certain games but are they being complained about? This might as well be this might as well be that one guy with a faulty ps4 gpu who had it replaced #shrugs

Didn't know about the power brick issue. How widespread is it?

And yeah, it would be nice if sites took developers to task over how bad some of the games perform, but it seems they are giving them a free pass and chalking them up to launch issues.

beardfish

Neo Member
I'd say it has something to do with the capacitors. There are couple rows in the mobo.

1AcOP8u.jpg

Smoking gpu/cpu would not really make any sense if it's just a cooling problem.

From the looks of that picture, those are solid capacitors which do not have a liquid electrolyte like the older electrolytic capacitors. Although the placement of it would lend itself to the theory that they explode and spray through the fan -

The other part of it would be that if one of the capacitors in that particular spot were to blow (where it becomes non functional - going beyond just becoming distended). The xbox one would have a hell of a time turning on, as I believe those groupings of 2 caps / 1 resistor has to do with the stages of it powering on and powering the cpu

disclaimer: I'm an idiot and don't really know anything about electronics

Someone needs to buy one of these XB1s from the affected persons and crack them open so we can see whats going on. Sending them back to Microsoft won't reveal anything to us.

GavinGT

Banned
If any of you are interested in reading a discussion between people who actually know what they're talking about (more or less), check out this thread:

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/279453-Rumor-Xbox-Ones-leaking-liquid

The consensus seems to be that it couldn't be the capacitors, since there's likely very little or no liquid inside the ones they're using. It could be a poorly constructed copper heat pipe that's leaking, or it could be that the plastic of the case itself is getting too hot and releasing oil.

Cynn

If any of you are interested in reading a discussion between people who actually know what they're talking about (more or less), check out this thread:

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/279453-Rumor-Xbox-Ones-leaking-liquid

The consensus seems to be that it couldn't be the capacitors, since there's likely very little or no liquid inside the ones they're using. It could be a poorly constructed copper heat pipe that's leaking, or it could be that the plastic of the case itself is getting too hot and releasing oil.

Don't sell GAF short. Every single one of those theories are also in this thread.

Shin-Ra

If any of you are interested in reading a discussion between people who actually know what they're talking about (more or less)

or it could be that the plastic of the case itself is getting too hot and releasing oil.
Right you are.

I knew the Dreamcast had a rather passionate cult following, but I had no clue the devotion went that deep.

Man, I don't wanna make any generalizations, as I myself am a huge Genesis, Dreamcast, and old-school-Sonic fan, but we all know what a portion of Sega
Sonic
fans are like.

You laugh now, but If only I had known in high school...

G_Berry

Banned

Or they simply spilled something on their xbox.

Top Bottom