• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrodium

Banned
What is this mentality of "lol GAF the nitpicky 'hardcore', nobody will tell the difference lolol"? What is it that they're trying to argue? Justify that MS expects people to pay $500, $100 more than the competition, for 720p in 2013 because "the average consumer" won't see it? Are they applauding MS catering the lowest of the lowest common denominator who can't even see a difference in resolution? Are they saying they're complacent with settling for less because other non-enthusiasts don't care about it? Are they saying nobody should care because the uninformed masses don't even know when they're being taken?

Someone please explain this argument.

They feel that they have to defend anything Microsoft does. For some reason, either because they've invested $500 on a preorder or just feel loyal to a corporation that owes them nothing, they voluntarily act as if they are on the Xbox One PR team. Even in the light of bad news, they must shout from the mountaintops that the Xbox One will still sell, and for some reason these sales numbers are more important to them than their own experiences.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
tradeoff just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about GAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Reddit where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on GAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaffing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to reply to tradeoff, nor will they read any of his posts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but tradeoff has alienated an entire forum with this move.

tradeoff, publicly apologize and edit your original post or you can kiss your Gaffer cred goodbye

Jburton

Banned
My theory that has undoubtedly been said a million times already:

Unoptimised COD code at 1080p either bangs against, or smashed straight through the 10% GPU ceiling MS decreed must always remain available for Snap/Kinect.
Like a typical stack overflow, it takes the whole system down.
Guessing that MS haven't had a chance to build in checks and recovery procedures against memory corruption yet.

It has already been stated, the poster you quoted clarified to me after that 720p CoD was the least of Xbox Ones problems it was also experiencing independently of CoD issues with OS crashes and Live matchmaking problems.

One was not the cause of the other.

The problem with folks around here is that you guys think everyone is like you. If everyone was like you, Wii would not have sold 100 mil+ and dominated the 1st half of last generation.

If everyone was like you, Wii's 480i/p res would have mattered... the PC would be the lead and dominant platform for every single 3rd party game, including EA's sports titles... Call of Duty would not be the #1 seller... Just Dance, Skylanders, Mario Kart, 3DS, etc. would not have dominated the charts.

Some multiplatform games will be 720p/720p on xb1/ps4, some will be 720p/900p, some 720p/1080p, 900p/1080p, and a bunch 1080p/1080p. Will it matter? To the hardcore, sure. To the soccer moms, to the kiddies, to the dude bros... not a chance.

It's not a question of power or specs or fanboy wetdream wars. It's a function of simply how many resources Microsoft is willing to invest to get to 30%, 40%, 50% or whatever market share their ultimate goal is. My bet is they are going to be willing to spend whatever it takes to be the market leader in this segment because the stakes are higher than ever and the value of the piece of pie they are after will potentially return more than ever before (because now we're talking *real* revenue from services on top of games... we're talking a digital pie that includes the itunes, the hulus, the netflix's, the digital games and apps downloads, etc., and more things in the future like ipTV, phone/skype dominance, etc.).

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

You will lose. In fact, you have already lost.

This is provably wrong. If it were true the Xbone wouldn't be $500, a whole $100 more than its direct competitor. That also invalidates your Wii comparison and pretty much your whole argument.

What is this mentality of "lol GAF the nitpicky 'hardcore', nobody will tell the difference lolol"? What is it that they're trying to argue? Justify that MS expects people to pay $500, $100 more than the competition, for 720p in 2013 because "the average consumer" won't see it? Are they applauding MS catering the lowest of the lowest common denominator who can't even see a difference in resolution? Are they saying they're complacent with settling for less because other non-enthusiasts don't care about it? Are they saying nobody should care because the uninformed masses don't even know when they're being taken?

I think they're arguing that most consoles are bought by casuals, not hardcore, which means that stuff that people like you and me care about(resolution, FPS, lighting, etc) doesn't have much at all to do with which console ends up moving the most units.

Of course, while all of these points are valid to a certain degree, posters like this always ignore the fact that casuals also tend to go for the cheapest console when presented with two(according to this argument) to them graphically indistinguishable products. Add to that the effect that hardcore first-movers have on influencing the choice of casuals their social circles and the argument pretty much falls apart for the next gen, as the most powerful console is the cheapest, and will be released all but simultaneously with its technically inferior competitor.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Everything that happened to MS this year is on them. That 2 weeks between their X1 reveal and E3 was filled with some of the most cringe-worthy PR quotes, mixed messaging and horrible brand representatives we have seen in the gaming industry in a while.

Why do people get pissed when gaf sides with the company that is doing the right things?

That's why I'm here lol. I was at all of the gaming sites after that and was seeing so many apologists. I typed "xbox one drm terrible" into google and neogaf popped up. Took a look and saw a place were people got banned for spouting non-sense and they had real insiders with #truthfacts.

MS really screwed up and haven't really stopped.

ironcreed

Banned

There is nothing to argue, as all the 'average consumer' will see is the price difference and that is enough. Of course many will hear through the grapevine that the PS4 is also the more powerful system, which they will just consider a plus.

Jburton

Banned
I'm sure the Wii would have been a hit with a $500 pricepoint at launch.

Yeah Grannies, Families and Moms who's watch Oprah (responsible for most of the Wii sales) buy $500 consoles with racers and FPS, that guy wrote a manifesto defending his love it seems.

They say love is blind.

JB1981

tradeoff just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about GAF culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Reddit where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on GAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaffing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to reply to tradeoff, nor will they read any of his posts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but tradeoff has alienated an entire forum with this move.

tradeoff, publicly apologize and edit your original post or you can kiss your Gaffer cred goodbye

Nope nope and nope

Still no comment from Activision confirming anything and non answers from MS. I'm beyond any doubt that this is true. Even the hardest of hardcore MS Gaf have had enough and that's saying something.

This thread has been gold and it keeps delivering. I love Gaf in times like these.

Sushen

The most disappointing part of all this is that in Redmond I bet they're already saying 'Well we tried to save the Xbox division by cramming adverts into everything, cheaping out on components and cutting first-party spending, but nothing worked. We literally tried everything and there's nothing else we can do, maybe it's time to think about shuttering the division?'.
When trouble comes your true intention shows up. Sony through its turmoil of the early days of PS3, they didn't give up and made it through. We'll see how serious MS is with xbox.

kyser73

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

You will lose. In fact, you have already lost.

So what you're saying is that MS will win in North America, and lose everywhere else.

Because at the moment, all that extra metro-media-box hoo-haa is only working in the US. Most of Europe won't go within 50 meters of an Xbone because of Snowden/NSA & the whole 'Kinect can measure your SWEAT DROPS!' hyperbole, and in the only European market where MS is market leader it's £80 more expensive, and there's been nary a whisper of any tie-ups between MS & the FA (Football Association, equivalent of the NFL) and Sky & BT, the two big soccer rights holders here.

I won't even bother mentioning Japan.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I think everyone here has a had a chance to express their opinion and the thread has run its logical course. If there is more news on this particular issue feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom