• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) screens

Spiegel

Death_Born said:
*facepalm*

You obviously don't understand Rune Factory. It's not all farming like Harvest Moon, you actually go out and kill stuff in dungeons. And hopefully, this time it'll be more exciting.

I don't like doing that kind of stuff in a videogame, but I'm cautionly optimistic and will play the game.

I asked Strombringer to translate that part of the san that shows a pair of screens in day and night, here's what he found:

Stormbringer said:
The quality of the scan isn't the best, but from what I can read, it seems like it's said that the "ruunii" (which appear to be small magical creatures living in the nature) are able to spontaneously modify the natural environment and the weather/seasons, by making some cultivations burgeon instantly, or by provoking snowfalls or rainfalls (doesn't seem like a day/night feature at all, but rather a quick weather change). Seems like there are also multiple types of ruunii, each one having its own effect, and each type being located inside specific regions of the island.
I also imagine that the effect these creatures have on the environment would also influence greatly some aspects of the farmwork...

I replied, and he agrees that there is a real day/night feature, these creatures just seem to cause various weather effects!

Bumpage.

Leatherface

c20080606_21_rff_02_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

PCP?! =O

batbeg

king zell said:

I'm still kind of confused. If all that changed was the weather and not the time of the day thanks to this little critter, why did the shadow flip around?

Either way, such a good looking looking game :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Looks great, hopefully they add more potential partners.
Wish Natsume would go back to the old archetypes. It was really hard deciding who to marry in Rune Factory because all the girls felt shallow.

Spiegel said:
Looks really good but I "don't get" Harvest Moon. I hope we hear about new traditional RPG soon.

OCD.

Oh and I don't "get" MGS, so I guess we're even! Except for the part where I come into MGS threads saying "it looks nice but I don't "get" it". :p

On a better note: I liked Rune Factory, but unfortunately, there's no female avatar option. I wish they'd add it in. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
batbeg said:
I'm still kind of confused. If all that changed was the weather and not the time of the day thanks to this little critter, why did the shadow flip around?

Either way, such a good looking looking game :)
Maybe there are ones that can change the time of day too?

Haly

Dragona Akehi said:
On a better note: I liked Rune Factory, but unfortunately, there's no female avatar option. I wish they'd add it in. :(
Knowing Natsume they'll release a "for girl" version within a year or two.

Halycon said:
Knowing Natsume they'll release a "for girl" version within a year or two.

They never did for the original, so I'm not sure they will for this one. It'd be nice though. I was very happy when HM "for girls" started being the standard. It's kinda awkward "dating" your own sex.

Haly

Dragona Akehi said:
They never did for the original, so I'm not sure they will for this one. It'd be nice though. I was very happy when HM "for girls" started being the standard. It's kinda awkward "dating" your own sex.
Rune Factory's "plot" is probably keeping them from making a female version.

Hero of legend said:
080606rune05.jpg

Why does Mist have white hair in her artwork, but her in-game model is blonde?
She was always meant to be platinum blonde. I guess the blond hair looked better on a model?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hero of legend said:
Why does Mist have white hair in her artwork, but her in-game model is blonde?
the skid portraits are in high key.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The first DS one was a little bare-bones, but I could see it developing into a lovely series. When the second DS one due out in North America? I'll probably have to choose between this, or the portable version depending on features. With Harvest Moon(s) around the corner too, it'll be tough decisions everywhere.

Haly

Mail Girl is cute, I hope she's a potential wife.

batbeg said:
Because actually, contrarily to what I could dinstinguish on the scan, what these screenshots show are probably not a spontaneous weather change, but rather the character interacting with two different types of Ruunii at two different times of the day. In addition, now that the online article gives me access to the most meaningful article bits in a bit more practical format, I now understand that these Ruunii thingies do not "spontaneously" alter their environment, but rather the rate at which some specific environmental occurrences happen, or the probability for one of those event to happen (either in the course of the game, or maybe for a limited time - it is not specified) ; for example, the rate at which rain falls, or the rate at wich some precises types of cultivations burgeon, and such. This difference in meaning between both interpretations could seem not that big, but I imagine that it is actually pretty important in relations to the mechanics of the game...
Halycon said:
Mail Girl is cute, I hope she's a potential wife.
According to the same article, all these girls are potential candidates for marriage.

Haly

Stormbringer said:
According to the same article, all these girls are potential candidates for marriage.
Wait what article? Did I miss something?

Also: \o/

Dragona Akehi said:

If they made a female avatar, they would have to change all the dialogue in the game and many of the girls into guys. Also, the main character in the last game was a man, so it would break the continuity. It would make a bit more sense though, in a farming community =P But then again, wouldn't you be getting court-ed?

About the shadow thing......isn't it dusk in the second picture, and the time of day was therefore different?

Death_Born said:
If they made a female avatar, they would have to change all the dialogue in the game and many of the girls into guys. Also, the main character in the last game was a man, so it would break the continuity. It would make a bit more sense though, in a farming community =P But then again, wouldn't you be getting court-ed?

About the shadow thing......isn't it dusk in the second picture, and the time of day was therefore different?

All of those arguments could be applied to the previously non-female avatar HM games.

Cherubae

EvilMario said:
When the second DS one due out in North America?

The newest DS game is currently floating between July 29 and August 26. The pre-order bonus is a plushie chicken.

harvest-moon-chickenw120h100._V255562500_.jpg

The Wii game is set to be released on the same day as the DS game, but its pre-order bonus is the same cow used for A Wonderful Life a few years ago.

The moving shadow is due to the change of time. That's all it is. The shadows in AWL also moved with sun's path if I remember correctly.

But then again, wouldn't you be getting court-ed?

Not in the girl versions of the series. You're the aggressive one ;)

Haly

Stormbringer said:
Mmmh, yes, I guess so. After all, this is part of the game's challenge.
Although I have to say, some of the girls in HMDS had ridiculous requirements. So glad I didn't bother picking it up.

Damn your stealth edits about my stealth edits >:-( .
Damn your stealth edit undoing your previous stealth edit in response to my edit pointing out your first stealth edit!

Dragona Akehi said:
All of those arguments could be applied to the previously non-female avatar HM games.

Hey, I didn't say I was opposed to a Rune Factory game where you play as a hot, yet mildly aggressive country girl!

Don't kill me.....

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kuran said:
It would be cool if you could get children, and train them to aid you in battle.

Like a militant von Trapp family roaming the mountains slaying dragons.

That would be cool

Haly

I've never played any of the female Harvest Moons, how do they handle the characters? Do they just swap them with their respective male love interests?

Halycon said:
I've never played any of the female Harvest Moons, how do they handle the characters? Do they just swap them with their respective male love interests?

You know how in HM, where whatever girl you'd court, you'd have the equivalent male vying for her attention too? Those men become your love interests, and the corresponding women become your rivals. Works nicely.

Haly

Dragona Akehi said:
You know how in HM, where whatever girl you'd court, you'd have the equivalent male vying for her attention too? Those men become your love interests, and the corresponding women become your rivals. Works nicely.
Right, but when you arrive on the farm, it's usually Ann who starts you off. How does that work? Does Rick become your farm tutor in the For Girl versions?

Like in Rune Factory, Rosette collects the shipments and fights over you with Misty from time to time. wouldn't they have to replace Misty with Zavier and Rosette with Lukas? Or would it be called Rune Factory: Lesbian Overtones?

EDIT: And was there a rival for Lynette? I stopped playing midway through year two so I'm fuzzy on a lot of details.

Spiegel

Dragona Akehi said:
OCD.

Oh and I don't "get" MGS, so I guess we're even! Except for the part where I come into MGS threads saying "it looks nice but I don't "get" it". :p

I want to play JRPGs on Wii so although I don't like "Harvest Moon" I will play this because looks nice.

:(

Halycon said:
Right, but when you arrive on the farm, it's usually Ann who starts you off. How does that work? Does Rick become your farm tutor in the For Girl versions?

Like in Rune Factory, Rosette collects the shipments and fights over you with Misty from time to time. wouldn't they have to replace Misty with Zavier and Rosette with Lukas? Or would it be called Rune Factory: Lesbian Overtones?

EDIT: And was there a rival for Lynette? I stopped playing midway through year two so I'm fuzzy on a lot of details.

It's been awhile, but yes, you should get Rick to help you out at first. There's always a rival for each girl, I'm pretty sure.

Spiegel said:
I want to play JRPGs on Wii so although I don't like "Harvest Moon" I will play this because looks nice.

:(

I was mainly teasing. :p

Top Bottom