• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) screens

Oblivion said:
Looks really nice. What kind of game is it, though?

By day you farm like HM, by night (or well, by day) you go into dungeons and kill shit. Monsters can be tamed to become your farm slave-minions.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm really tempted to buy Rune Factory now although I've never played any HM games. :S

What's a good game to get into the series with? I remember trying 64 and I got bored, I think, but I was much younger.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
underfooter said:
Are we even sure this will come stateside, and if so....before 2009?

Looks great btw.
Harvest Moon is pretty popular among girls here. I have no doubt that this will get a stateside release.

Wikipedia said:
In a process comparable to Nintendo's Animal Crossing series, the better you take care of your land, the more your land becomes a real village, more people move in, more shops open, etc.
Oh fuck this will consume my life. Now at it needs is some online.

Dragona Akehi said:
By day you farm like HM, by night (or well, by day) you go into dungeons and kill shit. Monsters can be tamed to become your farm slave-minions.

Slave-minions eh. I'm suddenly much more interested. Can you beat the slave minions?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dragona Akehi said:

Sounds neato potato.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
underfooter said:
Slave-minions eh. I'm suddenly much more interested. Can you beat the slave minions?
No, but you can have them till the soil, farm the crops and collect the harvest. You can also milk the cow monsters, get eggs from the chickens, wool from the sheep and honey from the bees. You can have certain monsters follow you into battle, and use some of them as mounts.

Fantastical said:
I'm really tempted to buy Rune Factory now although I've never played any HM games. :S

What's a good game to get into the series with? I remember trying 64 and I got bored, I think, but I was much younger.
Well, I'm in the exact same situation as yourself, except replace 64 by SNES... I fully intend to try to get into this series again with the Rune Factory series though, whether it is one of the DS games or the upcoming Wii game - especially since it's been a good while since I've been interested in it (been following RF since the first DS game, though I'd yet to take the plunge)...

If you didn't like previous HM games, do yourself a favour and hire out the game before purchase. HM games are a curious beast, and people need a degree of OCD (see the FF:CC My Life as King thread) of just NEEDING to try out one more day.

Cherubae said:
The newest DS game is currently floating between July 29 and August 26. The pre-order bonus is a plushie chicken.

harvest-moon-chickenw120h100._V255562500_.jpg

The Wii game is set to be released on the same day as the DS game, but its pre-order bonus is the same cow used for A Wonderful Life a few years ago.

The moving shadow is due to the change of time. That's all it is. The shadows in AWL also moved with sun's path if I remember correctly.

Not in the girl versions of the series. You're the aggressive one ;)

Do you know what stores are offering this?

I like to do all my buying at Best Buy, but it seems like they wouldnt be giving anything cool like that out :(

Dragona Akehi said:
If you didn't like previous HM games, do yourself a favour and hire out the game before purchase. HM games are a curious beast, and people need a degree of OCD (see the FF:CC My Life as King thread) of just NEEDING to try out one more day.
FFCC MLaaK you say ? Well I absolutely loved this game ! Actually it's one of the two sim games I've ever liked (...and...hum...one of the two I ever played, with Actraiser...Well, three, with the first 10 min. of HM SNES, which I didn't like very much). If you people assure me the Harvest Moon series (at least for the most part) is really as great and addictive as these games, well I'm, even more interested in giving it another try.

Kuran

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Thats the perfect pitch.

Am I getting this right? Is this coming out in America the same day as Rune Factory 2 DS?

Stormbringer said:
FFCC MLaaK you say ? Well I absolutely loved this game ! Actually it's one of the two sim games I've ever liked (...and...hum...one of the two I ever played, with Actraiser...Well, three, with the first 10 min. of HM SNES, which I didn't like very much). If you people assure me the Harvest Moon series is really (at least for the most part) as great and addictive as these games, well I'm, even more interested in giving it another try.

Like I said, hire it out first. Don't just blind buy. HM games aren't for everyone, even though RF really shakes up the premise.

Alex

I would go with Back to Nature, or one of it's spin offs (Friends of Mineral Town, etc) if you're going to try a Harvest Moon. Don't touch that shit they put on PS2 and GC.

Rune Factory was the massive reboot HM needed.

Dragona Akehi said:
Like I said, hire it out first. Don't just blind buy. HM games aren't for everyone, even though RF really shakes up the premise.
Well, I guess I could always check out with a friend - a fan of Harvest Moon - to see if he could make me try some of these games, and maybe initiate me to the series. This would definitely be a good start. Anyway, there is time to think after all (Rune Factory DS, which is the one I would really want to try out, isn't due out in Europe until September, and we don't even have a precise date for RF Wii), so I'm not too worried about rushing this out. Really hoping to find a new favorite series of mine in Harvest Moon, though, as I always thought the concept sounded particularly interesting.

jeremy1456

Alex said:
I would go with Back to Nature, or one of it's spin offs (Friends of Mineral Town, etc) if you're going to try a Harvest Moon. Don't touch that shit they put on PS2 and GC.

Rune Factory was the massive reboot HM needed.

Magic Melody was awesome, much better than Back to Nature even. I agree with you concerning A Wonderful Life and Save the Homeland though.

Personally I didn't think Harvest Moon needed a reboot at all, but Rune Factory is certainly a cool game.

Alex

I didnt care for it too much. I used to be such a huge HM fan, but between the (IMO) drop in quality, and the samey nature of them, I found Rune Factory to be really refreshing.

Cherubae

Lavpa Jasai said:
I like to do all my buying at Best Buy, but it seems like they wouldnt be giving anything cool like that out :(

Probably not Best Buy, but I would say Gamestop and Amazon; Amazon is where the image is from.

Kuran said:
Am I getting this right? Is this coming out in America the same day as Rune Factory 2 DS?

No, you misunderstand. RF2 does not have an English release date yet, and this Wii version doesn't even have a Japanese release date.

Tree of Tranquility (Wii) and Island of Happiness (DS) are the two latest English games that are scheduled to share a release date in a month or so, if not postponed.

Island of Happiness has a serious increase in crop difficulty. You can't just throw seed onto the ground and expect a plant to sprout. Now you have to manage how much water it receives. Even growing trees require watering, although luckily growing rice doesn't take any work at all.

Acosta

Dragona Akehi said:

Dragona forgot the "You also flirt with cute anime girls and try to marry with one so she can be your farm slave-minion too".

big_z

since this probably wont make it state side for about 3 years what was the overall impression of harvest moon wii? is it a worthy successor or another turd like the ps2/cube games?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Amazing art direction.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
big_z said:
since this probably wont make it state side for about 3 years what was the overall impression of harvest moon wii? is it a worthy successor or another turd like the ps2/cube games?

It's a lot like a better version of Magical Melody.

MM isn't that bad people. I can understand some AWL and StH hate but besides a bit too much repetition in dialogue MM is pretty damn solid.

I played MM and I didn't like it, it only supported 480i (and it came out in 2006, WTF?), the framerate was at 30 even though it have so-so graphics, and the character designs were just very off-putting to me.

Hero of legend said:
I played MM and I didn't like it, it only supported 480i (and it came out in 2006, WTF?), the framerate was at 30 even though it have so-so graphics, and the character designs were just very off-putting to me.

That's all fine, but in terms of gameplay it's by far the best traditional HM. There's a lot more freedom and the town is the best designed, and the whole ability to own multiple properties was a wonderful feature. Anyone know if that's in the the new Wii versions?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Whoa. Looks all kinds of not bad! I really need to pick up the DS version one of these days...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I need to see if my little sister would like the Rune Factory games... she loves Harvest Moon, but will be annoyed at fact it's back to "Guy Only" again.

pulga

Banned
Mejilan said:
Whoa. Looks all kinds of not bad! I really need to pick up the DS version one of these days...

My sentiments exactly, I've been postponing getting it ever since it came out.

Frontier is looking real, real good.

Olaeh

This does look great. Its so nice to see these 3rd party efforts. I have much better feelings about E3 now. It can only get better!!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
jarrod said:
Looks hott. I want Lufia 3 and/or a Chaos Seed remake on this engine...
I'd seriously rob some banks for this.

Game looks sweet. Cell shading needs to be it's own genre on Wii.

Vorador

Banned
I really liked Rune Factory DS, so i will be looking forward to this. Seems like it's the same characters from Rune Factory, so i guess it's a retelling of the DS game, direct sequel or something like that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Looks fantastic! Art style alone makes me interested in this game when I haven't even played Rune Facotry, or really any Harvest Moon, not counting the few times I played the 64 one.

Alright then! Just like last time, I did my work to upload the new screenshots so that they're the best quality for their size!

The screens here are in order from the first to newest. Newest being the at the bottom. For your convenience!

RuneFactoryFrontier.png

RuneFactoryFrontier1stScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier2ndScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier3rdScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier4thScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier5thScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier6thScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier7thScreenshot.png

RuneFactoryFrontier8thScreenshot.png

Top Bottom