• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
QDAx1yUh.jpg
Too real

Shizuka

They'll have
an acting
challenge this week.
Cynthia Lee Fontaine was eliminated during an acting challenge.
This will be a good episode.

royalan

When you're​ bored at work and so you start surfing YouTube, look at your old saved videos, and realize that you and your friends have been laughing at Charlie Hides videos for YEARS..

Rayis

I don't know why Kimora denied getting any work done in Untucked, is like we all can see it from a mile away, those cheekbones can't be hers.

PerchedT for this upcoming episode

kirblar

Eureka's "oh thank god its only Cynthia" reaction was fantastic.

Cynthia actually got diagnosed and started treatment during the show, which is why she's back. (They of course, didn't show this during S8.)

Rayis

YASSS! MAMA RU IN DRAG AGAIN!!

BITCHHHH! VALENTINA'S WEDDING DRESS LOOK SLAYED ME! She's indeed one to watch!

royalan

Not surprised.

Then again,
Kimora
is so wack that I wouldn't have been upset if
Jaymes
sent her home. She's all talk, but I'm not seeing her fierce yet.

BOTH girls sucked in that lipsync. I was half expecting Ru to send both home.

Eggbok

Not surprised.

Then again,
Kimora
is so wack that I wouldn't have been upset if
Jaymes
sent her home. She's all talk, but I'm not seeing her fierce yet.

BOTH girls sucked in that lipsync. I was half expecting Ru to send both home.

Too true, this was basically the lipsync.

Kimora
farnsworthangrydomegif.gif

Jaymes
9a5491702f319d7d298e756150580605.gif

Gradon

Watched it, and it went how I thought it would, really.
I felt somewhat bad for Jaymes, he just didn't seem.... There. Mostly distracted? Just me?

The lip sync was really disappointing. Boring.

Has anyone noticed that the talking heads appear to be recorded at completely seperate times? Like people's hair is either longer or different? Again, is that just me?

I absolutely love the 14th queen,
Cynthia is back. 💖

kinda crushing on Eureka out of drag. Y'all can shade me idc 😂😬

Also I feel like
. Nina.
is going to go real far in the competition (possibly win) based on her performance already.

I'm going with
Nina, Valentina, Farrah
as my top 3.
I can see that, with the third being the most up for grabs nomination imo
We've had nice surprises before though. Naomi and Chi Chi last year really came into their own halfway through. Then underdogs like Joslyn Fox wound up being just plain wonderful to watch and that helped carry them further than anticipated.

Loving this cast. Cruel of Ru to put Jaymes on the show. She's painfully not ready for prime time. Maybe in a couple of years she'll have figured it out.

Shea, Alexis, Nina, Sasha, Aja, Valentina, Peppermint, Eureka all giving Me winner potential.

Shizuka

Am I the only one that thought
Jaymes
was actually better during the lipsync than
Kimora
? I can't be the only one.

Yado

Jaymes
Kimora

I agree tbh, plus I think
Jaymes
had the potential to pull off some surprises in the future. I'm already sick of
Kimora's
cheap hooker aesthetic.

Razmos

I mean, Jaymes at least gave us camp. What did Kimora do?
Very weird lip movements.

I love the entire group so far.
I know it isn't RuPaul's best friends race but I love seeing them being so supportive, giving each other constructive criticism and complimenting each other. This is my first time watching Untucked though so maybe other seasons were like this too.

I would love for Jaymes to make a triumphant comeback one day (not this season) as I feel she has potential. Her line in Untucked about finding Aja's number on any bathroom stall absolutely slayed me, I wish she had said more stuff like that on the show itself.

kirblar

I mean, Jaymes at least gave us camp. What did Kimora do?
Moved around, emoted, did literally anything other than just stand there. When Kimora went to the floor she just copied her. It was really bad. Kimora was super-meh, but still tried.

Yeah Jaymes was not ready. Felt bad for her on Untucked. And Kimora won that lip sync handily even though her performance was relatively weak. Jaymes was just that bad :(

Jaymes
Kimora

Nope, agreed. Jaymes at least understood the song and its spirit. Kimora came off as dense, humorless and bland. Jaymes is definitely not ready for prime time, but she won that lip sync imo.

royalan

I don't know if that was Jaymes "knowing" the song so much as Jaymes desperately doing...well, the only thing she knew to do: flail uncomfortably.

I mean, you know a queen is losing the lipsync when the camera constantly catches them distracted by looking at the other queen. When Kimora went to the ground, Jayme's reaction was to copy her exactly.

I wanted to root for Jaymes, but gurl...you made the choice to come on the show. Earned that last place finish. Drag Race is not the place to develop a BASIC level of confidence.

And a friend of mine I watched with made a good point: in Jaymes, we're starting to see the emergence of YouTube queens who bill themselves as performers, but who can't ACTUALLY perform because they've never had to interact with anyone.

lmao that lip sync was so obviously rigged, i could tell from about 10 seconds in who would lose. they kept doing really tight shots on kimora, presumably because they knew if they showed what jaymes was doing then the decision would've been clearly nonsense.

like, jaymes was tragic in both of these episodes but she categorically did a better lipsync.

there was a line in the song "bang bang on the door" and kimora was doing gun gestures LMAO

Just watched the ep and Untucked.

I really started to warm up to James. He was just starting to feel comfortable and I wish Kimora would have gone home. I love James lipsync. Kimora was predictable and boring.

Eureka on the other hand came off very likable this episode. I'll be keeping my eye on her. That runway was fierce!

During the Untucked one thing that bothered me was Nina. She came off as really ostentatious in a bad way. I know she is hungry for more exposure, but her desire for the spotlight is making her seem like she is probably a nightmare to work with. I mean really she inserts herself over Kimora's breakdown (I'm no big kimora fan but...). Like damn REALLY?! 'You know I live for you', like does it matter....

And on the same coin, Charlie, wtf?! OLD BITCH attitude was just a turn off!

My favorite so far is Valentina, no surprise! I am loving everything about her out of drag an in drag. Valentina is showing star potential, but because of that I think they will only make top 3 and not win.

And a friend of mine I watched with made a good point: in Jaymes, we're starting to see the emergence of YouTube queens who bill themselves as performers, but who can't ACTUALLY perform because they've never had to interact with anyone.
A post-2010 American Idol tea.

Loving Nina and Alexis playing mommas to the other girls on Untucked. Not a single queen is unlikable imo. Great season so far.

kirblar

Hater's Roast was great. Ginger was awesome as the host, and Jinx, Kim Chi, Darienne and Phi Phi all killed their sets. Bob was definitely meh - he has the delivery....but not the material, and this clearly wasn't Acid Betty's forte (she even said it was her first time doing a Roast) but she was still fine. Darienne was the shock of the evening- I wouldn't be surprised if this was her first appearance, because she had lines that were repeatedly slaying everyone on stage and Kim's material directed at her was also getting the same reaction- like they had never heard it before.

Monocle

I'm mystified by the Kimora hate in here. Her style is bangin' and she's super entertaining out of drag. I thought she killed it in the lip sync. She looked like she was into the song. Her dancing was sassy and energetic.

I watched the final segment twice so I could focus on each performer, and I wasn't imagining things the first time: Jaymes was bland and looked like she was going through the motions. I can't fathom why anyone would want such a dull and timid queen to stay in the game when the alternative is a competitor as fierce as Kimora.

I have absolutely no idea how the post above could refer to Kimora.

That underboob gap. That "inspired" (cough inaccurate) Gaga look. The attitude. That lip sync.

Lmao.

Monocle

I have absolutely no idea how the post above could refer to Kimora.

That underboob gap. That "inspired" (cough inaccurate) Gaga look. The attitude. That lip sync.

Lmao.
You'd take Jaymes over her though? I mean really? What in the world could she contribute to the show going forward?

Pepiope

Kimora wasn't great, but I would at least like to see what she has to offer after being so close to elimination. Jaymes was bland.

royalan

Kimora's look is cheap, and not in a self-aware way. Like, she talks like she's serving us Versace when at BEST she's giving us Rainbow. I want to like her, because I always love the bitches of the season (except PhiPhi). But she's just not slaying the runway like someone with that attitude should. I don't think she's a bad queen by any means, and she definitely deserved to stay over Jaymes who might be one of the worst queens to ever enter the werk room. But if you're going to talk like that, I need to be GAGGING on your ELEGANZA when you stomp the runway. But it's just...oh, another body suit with your titties out...

And all of this wouldn't have been a problem if she just paid more attention to the actual challenges. Like, girl, it's a white party...

And on a related note, I really need the young Vegas queens to stop showing their age and know the history of their city well enough to know what it means to serve VEGAS.

Because I'm still waiting on a Vegas queen to serve us that real VEGAS fish, and we haven't gotten one since season 1's Shannel.

V2XW6jC.jpg

Yeah at this point the two Vegas queens are getting predictable, although Farrah seems to have more potential versus Kimora. Shannel is still the GOAT Vegas queen. She is no slouch either even if you remove the Vegas qualifier.

Rayis

I was fully expecting to like Kimora and Farrah but frankly, they bore me, they don't have the C.U.N.T. necessary to be winners, Valentina is gagging me and I wasn't expecting her to so I'm really warming up to her and I love the fact she's Mexican and proud of it, I want our first Mexican-American drag superstar winner now.

Shea is slaying me too but I was fully expecting her to, same with Nina Bo'Nina.

the others ones I'm frankly meh about for now.

_Isaac

Man that was probably the saddest elimination especially when he was crying and saying maybe he's not meant to achieve his dreams. It was so sad. 😢

kirblar

It was bad but not bad enough to double elim. Love Shack is kind of a rough lip sync song and Kimora was doing...ok with it.

Jaymes walking off the runway was the funniest he had been throughout both episodes, and he wasn't that funny. I was rooting for him pre-show because I liked his youtube videos, but he deserved to go. Either he needs more time in the oven, needs more confidence, he was in his head, out of his depth, I dunno but I felt like he wasted an opportunity. I remember before S8 started and people were saying Kim Chi was a social media look queen only and wouldn't translate well to screen, maybe the same can be said for Jaymes?

The lip sync was really disappointing. Boring.
Indeed.
I had read an (obviously now fake) spoiler than it would be a double elimination and after seeing it I was completely expecting it to be true.
Also that
Charlie would have an accident during the cheerleading stuff that resulted in her going home early
- so obviously a few BS fake rumours floating around.

I wish Lisa Kudrow had been on the panel though.

It was bad but not bad enough to double elim. Love Shack is kind of a rough lip sync song and Kimora was doing...ok with it.
I think it should be an easy song to lip sync if you have a sense of humour and any bit of jive to you. It's a fun song, lots of lyrics that can be performed as actions etc. B-52's were right there, Kimora is soooo one note, so no doubt she can do bitch/sexy and slink around to current top 40 hit songs, but she will be demolished during a lipsync by any of the other girls with even a glimmer of personality (which poor Jaymes failed to show). Kimoras whining in the work room was also really off-putting. We've seen her type before and they bore me.

edit - Damn, after watching Untucked I felt sorry for both Jaymes and Kimora, I shouldn't comment until I've seen Untucked next time!

royalan

The only thing difficult about Love Shack is that it has two distinctly different vocal parts, the male and the two women who blend together.

That can be kinda difficult for one queen to do.

kirblar

The only thing difficult about Love Shack is that it has two distinctly different vocal parts, the male and the two women who blend together.

That can be kinda difficult for one queen to do.
Yeah, it's a song you need two people to actually do justice to.

Lay off Kimora. She ain't winning but I love a bitchy fishy queen on the show. I enjoy how over everything she is despite knowing full well what to expect. So funny to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom