• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia has reportedly legalised some piracy in response to sanctions and boycotts (VCG)

Kokoloko85

The idea was to attempt to make the Russian people want to push Putin out or at least influence him to withdraw from Ukraine.

But what's actually happening is that he's tightening his control of everything. He's saying he's banning foreign business interests in the country, he's blaming the West for the demise of their currency and overall he's collectively making foreign countries the boogeyman. This piracy measure is a prime example, they will spin this in a way that makes them appear to be the good guys.

This isn't going as planned. Cutting the Russian people off from the outside world only means they fall further under his influence. He was already brainwashing his people, it's only going to get worse now that they will have zero exposure to the rest of the world.

My own country has been effected and torn apart by western countries doing similar shit so that the people pushed their government out. And when they did, they installed a brutal NEW government and havent helped the people since.
The western countries got oil out of it and have never supported the people afterwards, so I couldnt care less how they spin russia or putin. Fuck them 1st and foremost

Allandor

I think you missed part of the post:

It would still be illegal for Russian citizens to pirate/steal from any country that isn't sanctioning Russia, which includes their own country of Russia.
Ok, again ..
From the view of a russian company: Why buy software made in russia when you can legally use alternatives from sanctioned countries for free ;)

Last edited:

yurinka

Apologise for all russians all this happens because of one madman
Nah, things are always way more complex than that and involve many awful things from both sides. Never it's because a single evil/mad guy somewhere, this is what propaganda tells us to create a common enemy and made us pack together to back the insterests of whoever is against him and whoever wins with that conflict/war (in this case as always energy and military industries are the ones who will get benefited the most, specially the US ones).

But yes, the random normal people from Russia, Ukraine and elsewere are only normal people who did nothing to deserve past, present or future bad stuff. The most fucked ones here will be the random Ukranian people obviously because they are destroying their country, after them the random EU people because sanctions will hurt mostly EU and people from EU aren't as used as Russian people to being poor and being fucked and after that the random Russian people, who will be more fucked than they already are, but at least they are already used to it.

Regarding piracy, Russia was already a country with a lot of piracy so won't change a lot. For consoles isn't an important market, but for PC and mobile even if not a very country in terms of % of global revenue it's a relatively important one. Will negatively affect bit game companies, will make some players angry but won't change things too much.

ckaneo

The idea was to attempt to make the Russian people want to push Putin out or at least influence him to withdraw from Ukraine.

But what's actually happening is that he's tightening his control of everything. He's saying he's banning foreign business interests in the country, he's blaming the West for the demise of their currency and overall he's collectively making foreign countries the boogeyman. This piracy measure is a prime example, they will spin this in a way that makes them appear to be the good guys.

This isn't going as planned. Cutting the Russian people off from the outside world only means they fall further under his influence. He was already brainwashing his people, it's only going to get worse now that they will have zero exposure to the rest of the world.
As a person who knows actual Russians they arent as brainwashed as you think lol.

ckaneo

Putin played this scenario wrong. It seems like after the United States exposed his false flag attempt he never had a real plan b to justify the war. And he let the propaganda narrative be that the United States was lying about his plans to attack. That was a mistake because for once the US government actually got credibility in foreign wars when he did actually attack. If you ask Russian people about the Ukraine operations they are as confused as everyone else. What exactly is the endgame here? Invading a large country post WW2 is just wasting time, money, resources, and bodies. And the United States has experience with that. Unless you plan to be in a country forever that is and Russia's economy cant handle being in Ukraine forever.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Ok, again ..
From the view of a russian company: Why buy software made in russia when you can legally use alternatives from sanctioned countries for free ;)

What software do you think Russia has that's better/cheaper than alternatives from the sanctioned countries? I feel like you're spinning this out to be a huge problem for Russia when realistically there not many Russian software companies that would be negatively impacted by this.

Allandor

What software do you think Russia has that's better/cheaper than alternatives from the sanctioned countries? I feel like you're spinning this out to be a huge problem for Russia when realistically there not many Russian software companies that would be negatively impacted by this.
Just plain business-software (e.g. DMS systems (that is something I know some russian companies use as we just lost them as supported customer and there are also many russian alternatives), CAD software, ....). Or do you think every software company has only to do with gaming?

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Just plain business-software (e.g. DMS systems (that is something I know some russian companies use as we just lost them as supported customer and there are also many russian alternatives), CAD software, ....). Or do you think every software company has only to do with gaming?

So no specifics. Got it. :D

As someone who was born and raised in Russia from 1990 to 2000 I can tell you that Piracy was a normal thing back then, its how I got to play most of my games. My Dad would buy a bunch of CDs of street markets, in reality they were simply pirated copies and sold as "official". This is not really anything new.

You mean that SaaS bullshit that is a paradigm shift started by Salesforce 15 years ago?
Ugh, Salesforce. They own like a quarter of my downtown, including the tallest building in the city. It went from an interesting place to walk around to Salesforce office space.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ugh, Salesforce. They own like a quarter of my downtown, including the tallest building in the city. It went from an interesting place to walk around to Salesforce office space.
Your point? Because SaaS aka ‘monthly payments’ is de-facto standard when it comes to software.

Saucy Papi

FltnVq6.jpg

assurdum

Banned
Frankly this is the right thing to do, if you're Russia. The gaming companies etc just cut you off completely? Screw it, make torrenting of all that software 100% legal and easy, and there's really zero way for Sony etc to stop it.
Frankly can't care less to what is it right for the Russia until they will not stop this stupid war. I hope the worst for them.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Isn't the joke that all these US corporations pulling out of Russia mean that the Russian people will now be the healthiest and well-informed in the world? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
There's already been a ton of memes about that.
getting the games off the consoles is the easy part, i think. it's the trying to get it running on other hardware. i'm sure someone will be able to rip Xbox/PS5 games no problem but if they share it then it'll be difficult or straight up impossible for anyone to run it on their console.

emulating the games on PC is another story. You can emulate PS3 games on PC with good quality and performance. I'm not sure how PS4 emulation is going and PS5 emulation is a LONG way off.
PS4 emulation is working on just converting the API for PC so it will run natively off your own hardware. I can't imagine PS5 is that much different.
Nothing was a surprise? How do you know this lmao

Assumptions assumptions all around

Propaganda all around too

Keep your head on a swivel guys

Fuck Putin

He might not care about American business but their economy does. And it will get worse (much more so for civilians, not so much for Putin or milionaires there)
It appears Russia has been planning for this for a while now. Russia and China have been working on creating a gold backed currency for trade (ie. real money).

Russia has been dumping U.S. Treasury bonds to buy up gold for the last 4-5 years.

A non-fiat currency holds serious potential to disrupt the international market, especially if China adopts it as their market will overtake ours in the next few years.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

"Construction complete"
"Unit Deployed"
"Construction complete"
"Unit Deployed"
"Construction complete"
"Unit Deployed"

"Our base is under attack"
"Unit lost"

LOL everyone remembers EVA.

Seriously, are we pretending that Russia was doing much to block piracy? Almost all the piracy sites are hosted from Russia as it is.

Last edited:

Amiga

IP based business is basically f*%k@ worldwide. wait until they rebroadcast American sports for free.

It's not piracy if the owner is not being affected, and clearly they're not if they're not selling there anyway
The funny thing about this statement is that this logic is entirely why Nintendo tried to do business in China even as government-sanctioned projects brazenly abused violations of Nintendo IP - I'm guessing they thought if they got a good enough foothold they'd be able to stop the piracy.

Their current stance in Russia is effectively a 180 from that. They must have given up on the idea.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The funny thing about this statement is that this logic is entirely why Nintendo tried to do business in China even as government-sanctioned projects brazenly abused violations of Nintendo IP - I'm guessing they thought if they got a good enough foothold they'd be able to stop the piracy.

Their current stance in Russia is effectively a 180 from that. They must have given up on the idea.
In China? LMAO sure... Regarding Russia, I'm pretty companies are receiving political pressure from actual politicians to act against Russia, like... if they don't, they'll have it worst than if they just comply, otherwise Nintendo of all wouldn't give a damn

CuNi

Frankly this is the right thing to do, if you're Russia. The gaming companies etc just cut you off completely? Screw it, make torrenting of all that software 100% legal and easy, and there's really zero way for Sony etc to stop it.

Because you cna just throw in a burned DVD into your PS5 and play it... And everyone knows how to jailbreak his PS5..
I'd even say 95% of people on this forum wouldn't be able to Crack their ps 5

Top Bottom