• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says"

Meicyn

Banned
Jan 22, 2010
A foreign nation offering bounties to a known terrorist organization with the goal of harming U.S. troops is, in my view, an act of war. I think the criticisms levied here against the Trump administration's response, or lack thereof, are fair and valid.

We have to keep in mind our military men and women when discussing these acts of war committed by other countries. While I think diplomatic relations with Russia is a net positive for the United States, I don't believe that letting something like this go serves our interests or our allies.

It is important to let Putin know that there is a price to be paid by targeting U.S. military personell. I think new sanctions are a given and I'm disappointed that the president refused to do anything in response to what was quite clearly an attack on our armed forces.
I just wanted to publicly apologize to you, as I accused you of having no principles in a completely unrelated thread. Was a complete mischaracterization of you, and your response on this subject shows how wrong I was. Props to you.

I value integrity a great deal, and for me, I got it wrong. Just wanted to say it out in the open.

Reactions: Riven326

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Ted Lieu couldn't even handle Candace Owens. He is completely out of his depth with Grenell. It is right in his last name. Lie U.
When these sources get upgraded from anonymous and they have any proof then we can talk.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Pathetically transparent attempt by the liberal media.

Guess what libtards, Soleimani did exactly the same thing on behalf of Iran. When Trump took care of that what did you say?

"Oh no, don't start a war with Iran." But you're OK with starting a war with Russia?
Bunch of fucking imbeciles treating their readers like an even dumber bunch of imbeciles.

The infuriating part is that its so transparently partisan politics at play in an election year. These people don't care about America and they don't care about you. They care about power. Stop giving it to them.

Last edited:

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Considering how long the USA has been there and that this topic suddenly surfaced at this timing. It is really fishy.

It is funny that as soon as Trump decided to leave Afghanistan, suddenly people bring tons of reasons to be there.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
There needs to be a term for the opposite of TDS. Trump Dick Suckers? Seems a little on the nose. But it’s hilariously, predictably sad how even not responding to bounties on the head of US soldiers won’t sway the cult.

Sad!

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
There needs to be a term for the opposite of TDS. Trump Dick Suckers? Seems a little on the nose. But it’s hilariously, predictably sad how even not responding to bounties on the head of US soldiers won’t sway the cult.

Sad!
Who is sucking Trump's dick here exactly? So being skeptical of another anonymous source NYT article backed by an anonymous CNN article is enough to start getting upset? I love how you immediately jump to accusations of cult like defense when there isn't even anything here that rises to the level of needing defense. Quit being a loser.

Reactions: Brazen and tfur

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Anyone saying EU intelligence backed it up, don't forget where the Steele dossier came from. Steele was ex MI6 BRITISH agent.

Can the left at least be original and chose a different country.

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
Where is the retraction from the NYT, sue them Trump, Pence, Grenell. They take small tidbits of info and weaponize it and by the time it gets debunked the entire public has been fooled to believe this is true.

Reactions: Arkam

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
The most hilarious thing is that if Biden wins USA will be preparing for new bombings. Somebody else will set the bounty lol

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Anyone remember when Trump killed a bunch of Russians about 2 years ago in Syria?

I remember.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

intelligence related to an alleged Russia’s bounty program targeting American troops in Afghanistan accused The New York Times of publishing “unconfirmed” intelligence and derailing an ongoing investigation into the attacks.

“Having served in Afghanistan during the time the alleged bounties were placed, no one is angrier about this than me,” tweeted Indiana Rep. Jim Banks, who served in the U.S. Navy Reserve in Afghanistan in 2014 and 2015.

“Now it’s impossible to finish the investigation. All b/c the @nytimes will do anything to damage @realdonaldtrump, even if it means compromising nat’l security,” Banks also tweeted. “The blood is on their hands.”

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Even before reading the Herridge update, I thought this was an obviously untrue story. It highlights the real asymmetrical nature of our partisan divisions - the trendsetters are willing to peddle extraordinarily repulsive and malicious lies, while their subscribers downstream are willing to suspend their healthy skepticism.

Like the Russia dossier, this is likely another example of the press willing to do the leg work for the foreign counter intelligence.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Now it’s impossible to finish the investigation.
Bingo. That's why the media does shit like this - to contaminate such that it can never be properly verified one way or the other and they can just shout "BuT iNtEl SaId It WaS tRuE!!1!". Most people don't get that intel takes corroboration and consensus - it is not about a single source. It's why garbage like the Steele dossier was never really taken seriously.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Why would Russia needs to kill some random soldiers?
Revenge for killing 10 Russians in Syria ?

Putin wants to make himself President for life, maybe some dead soldiers could of helped.

But thats if this is true. Probably more like the pee tapes if anything. Always gotta go back to the Russia playbook, its like we are in a time loop.

Next up Hillary back on the scene as Biden's VP pick.

LoV

Jan 8, 2015
Banning conservative media, bringing up a new Russia hoax, what more does the left want?

Pizdetz

May 5, 2020
Seems the Intel was included in the written briefings, but that requires reading comprehension.
It's possible it wasn't communicated orally.
The Intel itself is not fully vetted, but if true was an enormous risk to US troops. Hence the outrage.
So if it ends up being vetted and true, this is gross negligence and incompetence, but hey, he's gotten a free pass for worse things, I don'ts see why anyone cares at this point.
What's a few dead soldiers abroad when undermining the messaging around COVID has resulted in thousands of unnecessary deaths at home.
Like pick your battles NYT, sheesh. The apologists are playing 8D chess and you're still playing checkers.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Can someone fact check that? Imagine if true. CHAZ would be more deadly than Afghanistan LOL

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Imagine if this happened under HRC watch
Bolton declined to comment Monday when asked by the AP if he had briefed Trump about the matter in 2019.
Oh.

Officials said they did not consider the intelligence assessments in 2019 to be particularly urgent, given that Russian meddling in Afghanistan is not a new occurrence. The officials with knowledge of Bolton’s apparent briefing for Trump said it contained no “actionable intelligence,” meaning the intelligence community did not have enough information to form a strategic plan or response.
Oh.

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

So this Russian hoax fell apart in a day ?

You know the best way to protect the troops? Bring them home. Which is what Trump has been doing. Hit the goal of 8600 and could be done at the end of the year. Thats Trump.

Why is USA in Afghanistan? Its been 19 years and Osama is dead. Al qeada is gone and so is ISIS almost.

Anyone falling for this basically wants the troops to stay and keep dieing and wasting money there.

Some BS story from 2019. Meanwhile more people died in the CHAZ in the last few weeks than kn Afghanistan all year so far.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019

samporter

May 29, 2020
How is this story even newsworthy? Are there direct evidence that the Russians did this, as in a paper trail or official communication? Are the Russians going to admit it when pressed on it? If no to either, then this is all speculation. What is the goal here, to get Trump to go after Russia? Last I know, the US official response to Russia is sanctioning their economy and Trump hasn't loosen those sanctions. Do they want Trump to stay in endless wars in the middleeast?

I don't know what's worst, the NYT for printing such a ridiculous story, the leaking of unverified intel, or the people who don't even question why stories like these are relevant and just repeat the talking points.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Nothingburger.

OMG A hostile nation is funding insurgance against an occupying force! CIA would never do something this malevonent!
Jesus. Retard never learnt about real politik?

This is normal in proxy wars. Are you a millenial or just retarded to be surprised by this?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Democrats just got out of their briefing and Schiff's biggest complaints are...
-Why didn't the CIA run the briefing
-Why hasn't Trump addressed the nation about this

Not sure why he expects the President to address the nation while things are still being looked into. Let them finish the investigation first. This partial intelligence wasn't meant to be published to the public just yet.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
NSA says CIA and NYT are full of shit

WASHINGTON—The National Security Agency strongly dissented from other intelligence agencies’ assessment that Russia paid bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, according to people familiar with the matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkam