• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never doubted the bomb theory and now I'm starting to think the blurry video is real.

Putin will strike swiftly and mercilessly unlike coalition forces. He might even drop a nuke on their stronghold.

That video was still not real in my opinion. If it was a bomb, they'd have to have known the exact time the bomb would go off, the flight path and then worked out where the plane would be exactly upon detonation, just to be in the right place to film it. Not to mention how fake it looked.

If Russia has to go all in, in the middle east..and if Minsk agreement fails in Ukraine, might be time for Ukraine to get to work if Russia is occupied in the middle east.

Plus you have 20-30 million Sunni muslims in the Caucus regions, which might force Russia to go back into Checnya and Dagestan.

antonz

If Russia has to go all in, in the middle east..and if Minsk agreement fails in Ukraine, might be time for Ukraine to get to work if Russia is occupied in the middle east.

Plus you have 20-30 million Sunni muslims in the Caucus regions, which might force Russia to go back into Checnya and Dagestan.

Russia has been running propaganda the last few days that Ukraine has brought thousands of ISIS fighters into Odessa and other cities to fight Russia. If anything Ukraine needs to worry that Russia is about to push much farther into Ukraine claiming fighting ISIS

That was before 9/11 though. It seems impossible to me to put a bomb in a plane nowadays.

Was listening to CNN on the way home yesterday and they had on an airport security expert. He said that in a European airport, this would be very difficult to pull off, but this plane took off from a country that is in the middle of a civil war and many factions of terrorist organizations. The methods he said that they could have used was terrifyingly easy.

Majorzero

Neo Member
If ISIS had the capability to do this why only do it now? You would think they would have attacked Western airliners as a revenge for the air strikes against them and Russia has been sending arms to Assad since the beginning of the civil war. The timing just seems a bit odd.

SliChillax

Was listening to CNN on the way home yesterday and they had on an airport security expert. He said that in a European airport, this would be very difficult to pull off, but this plane took off from a country that is in the middle of a civil war and many factions of terrorist organizations. The methods he said that they could have used was terrifyingly easy.

Airport personnel in Egypt most likely.

That makes a lot of sense. Totally terrifying, I will feel completely unsafe when flying again. I guess ISIS is smiling right now, they achieved their goal.

Kuros

How do explosives get on a plane in 2015? Damn.... RIP :(

If you read Pprune (pilots forum) most are happy with the passenger security at front of house but pilots seem much less happy about staffing and ground crew security. It would be pretty easy for someone to smuggle something on board.

Also worth noting this particular aircraft was sat on the tarmac overnight. A lot of planes do quick turnarounds. So ample opportunity for foul play.

Abounder

Banned
If ISIS had the capability to do this why only do it now? You would think they would have attacked Western airliners as a revenge for the air strikes against them and Russia has been sending arms to Assad since the beginning of the civil war. The timing just seems a bit odd.

The daeshbags timing revolves around baiting world powers into a guerilla ground war, they want to add further pressure to the refugee crisis and world stage geopolitics/economies especially since both Russia and US have already been adding more forces. It's going to be a key issue for the presidential race as well, daeshbags are trying to fuck everything up.

chadskin

Some more background:
A U.S. official briefed on the matter says U.S. intelligence agencies have assembled preliminary evidence that a bomb brought down the Russian airliner.

The official says intercepted communications played a role in the tentative conclusion that the Islamic State group's Sinai affiliate planted an explosive device on the plane.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, and others said there had been no formal judgment rendered by the CIA or other intelligence agencies, and that forensic evidence from the blast site, including the airplane's black box, were still being analyzed.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5a37...atest-33-victims-plane-crash-egypt-identified

Sinai is part of Egypt. Egypt is not in the middle of a civil war. They are however fighting ISIS terrorists in the Sinai.

CNN is definitely rolling with the bomb on the plane narrative.

British and US authorities are saying it's a bomb. Russia is keeping with the, "no shrapnel in the victims, so it's probably not a bomb" theory. If it was in the cargo hold, most of the explosion would have been shielded by the luggage. A plane falling apart in mid air doesn't simply "happen" without some form of destructive method.

S¡mon

Banned
Terrible news.

Unfortunately, not a great surprise for me that it's apparently turned out to be a bomb. I've been on holiday to Egypt several times - including Sharm el-Sheikh - and airport security appeared to be poor.
"
Security sucks at these airports. Nearly every customs officer has a "nothing ever happens here"-attitude, resulting in the following:

- Women often don't get searched, even if the alarm goes off because female officers are not readily available to search them
- Men that get searched, don't get searched thoroughly (quick, light touches)
- Bringing aboard liquids like water or flammable liquids (think of lighters) are no problem at all

Honestly, I sincerely hope that it was not a bomb. If it was a bomb, than it's even more terrible for the families and friends of the victims, knowing that this tragedy could have been avoided if security had been better.

I wish the families and friends the best of luck in processing the deaths of their loved ones.

EDIT:

Civil unrest is still happening though right?
I've not been to Cairo, but in the tourist areas - including Sharm el Sheikh - everything is calm and generally safe. There is no unrest there and people live their normal daily lives.

I've also been to Luxor, a city of 430.000 people, and that appeared to be in a stable state too. Lots of people on the streets just minding their own business, living their daily lives - just like we do in the West.

Wasn't that just for carry-on screenings in passenger security screening areas? I believe checked bags go through much more stringent, automated scannings when it comes to explosives.

In the US, Europe, Russia, and most of Asia luggage is scanned for explosives. Perhaps the airport where the plane took off had these too, but who knows what kind of security/background checks are done there.

Can somebody explain to me why Putin/Russia want to spent their own money and resource to beat up ISIS.

I understand the Chechen angle but ground war will cost the Russkies a ton of money.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Can somebody explain to me why Putin/Russia want to spent their own money and resource to beat up ISIS.

I understand the Chechen angle but ground war will cost the Russkies a ton of money.

I'm no expert on the subject but if they do confirm ISIS was behind this that's considered an act of War and Russia won't be fucking around. I don't how far it would go though, because I believe Syria and Russia are allies and Raqqa which is basically the ISIS capital is in Syria so who knows what will happen.

I predict Russia to start supporting the Egyptian Government and Military to fight any form of religious extremism that affects Egypt whether it's Sinai or Libya.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm no expert on the subject but if they do confirm ISIS was behind this that's considered an act of War and Russia won't be fucking around. I don't how far it would go though, because I believe Syria and Russia are allies and Raqqa which is basically the ISIS capital is in Syria so who knows what will happen.

I don't think Russia has the political goal of trying to install a new government in any middle-eastern country. They just want to support an ally they already have. I predict they'll definitely step up ground forces and try to get fight all rebel groups whether in Egypt and Syria regardless of whether they're associated with ISIS.

At which point the only thing the US could do is abandon efforts to support anti-Assad rebels and write off Syria as a political loss for the next few decades.

Valhelm

contribute something
If I was Russia, I would be preparing for war right now. Shit is going to hit the fan when confirmed.

Russia is already at war with ISIS. This is just going to ramp things up.

It's also America's cue to leave Syria. I respect the Syrian Democratic Forces and wish them the best, but as the country becomes Russia's stomping ground, having an opposing stake in the fight won't help anybody. A proxy war with Russia would be pretty horrific, and a better solution is to just focus on ISIS in Iraq.

Neo C.

So first, they thought it's because of the lacking state of the plane, but now it turns out to be a terrorists attack?

danowat

Banned
So first, they thought it's because of the lacking state of the plane, but now it turns out to be a terrorists attack?

No one knows for sure, but it's looking very likely.

The UK suspending all flights in and out of Sharm is telling.

I've been to Sharm three times, and I'm surprised it's taken this long for them to start questioning security, it's very lax there.

goomba

Banned
Russia is already at war with ISIS. This is just going to ramp things up.

It's also America's cue to leave Syria. I respect the Syrian Democratic Forces and wish them the best, but as the country becomes Russia's stomping ground, having an opposing stake in the fight won't help anybody. A proxy war with Russia would be pretty horrific, and a better solution is to just focus on ISIS in Iraq.

unfortunatly the US are doing the opposite and sending 50 sets of "boots on the ground" to train and arm rebels whilst continuing to bomb the country, all of which is completly illegal under international law.

smurfx

get some go again
ISIS was likely waiting for the best chance to make a statement. what better statement than to bring down the airplane of a country that recently declared war on your group? they will likely not be able to bring down another plane flying from egypt so they only get this one chance.

Joni

It is already one of the reasons Putin cared about Syria in the first place. Root out the rebels in Syria before they come back to him.

A plane falling apart in mid air doesn't simply "happen" without some form of destructive method.
Like a technical defect in a plane from an airline with a spotty reputation. It might not be the case here, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising if it was.

It very well could be. If it was just the airline saying it, it would be rubbish. US and British intelligence claiming it, gives more credence to a terrorist attack.

I just flew to and from Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg and to say the security was lax is in understatement. In Abu Dhabi the official didn't even look at the x-ray machine as my bag was going through it. Some guy in the next lane over had a bottle of water and the security guard let him through with it. The shocking thing is Abu Dhabi has preclearance customs through to the US so as soon as you land in the US you don't have to clear customs again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I remember when we took charter flight from Tunisia (pre-revolution era) we could bring 1,5 liter water bottles on the plane and even larger backpacks. I just remember the looks on the police officers at home when our large group came to the border control window :D

Darkangel

If Russia starts fighting a ground war in Syria, then the US will need to back off. They should write off Assad as a lost cause and focus solely on helping Iraq. At the end of the day I'd say Iraq has more potential to rebuild into a stable country.

What is Russia's stance toward the Kurds? Would they fight each other if it came down to it? Sounds like a messy situation.

norinrad

If Russia starts fighting a ground war in Syria, then the US will need to back off. They should write off Assad as a lost cause and focus solely on helping Iraq. At the end of the day I'd say Iraq has more potential to rebuild into a stable country.

What is Russia's stance toward the Kurds? Would they fight each other if it came down to it? Sounds like a messy situation.

You know this is not going to happen, the US and its allies would probably send arms to IS just to see Russia fail. YES they are very capable of arming IS to see Russia and Iran fail.

They will probably use the we are only supporting the free Syrian Army excuse.

Undead

You know this is not going to happen, the US and its allies would probably send arms to IS just to see Russia fail. YES they are very capable of arming IS to see Russia and Iran fail.

They will probably use the we are only supporting the free Syrian Army excuse.

Wouldn't they have learned from that mistake by now? I mean it's thanks to their interventions that we even had al qaeda and now daesh (isis), all they do by arming militants is creating more world problems

norinrad

Wouldn't they have learned from that mistake by now? I mean it's thanks to their interventions that we even had al qaeda and now daesh (isis), all they do by arming militants is creating more world problems

You'd think so wouldn't you? After Iraq, they went ahead to destroy Libya, and are now paying for it. But they never learn and no other country has the power to bring these politicians to the internal court of justice. That court is not for Western war criminals, they walk around freely.

Anyway let's get back on topic. Why is the intelligence of what happened with the plane not being shared with the Russians? Why is the US/UK withholding said information?

Cameron is suspiciously looking like Blair

Undead

You'd think so wouldn't you? After Iraq, they went ahead to destroy Libya, and are now paying for it. But they never learn and no other country has the power to bring these politicians to the internal court of justice. That court is not for Western war criminals, they walk around freely.

Anyway let's get back on topic. Why is the intelligence of what happened with the plane not being shared with the Russians? Why is the US/UK withholding said information?

Cameron is suspiciously looking like Blair

If I wear my tinfoil hat for a moment
Maybe the US/UK were involved to
(a) get Russia to do their dirty work for them by destroying Isis
or
(b) payback for MH17
Perhaps both.

Anyway, that's enough crazy conspiracies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom