• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Government tweets troll message and PePe

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a tweet sent out by the Russian embassy in the U.K. on Monday, Russia’s government called out British papers for encouraging Prime Minister Theresa May to stop President-elect Donald Trump from getting too cozy with Putin — and then it posted a picture of Pepe the Frog to back up its point.

ucJNabK.png

Link to tweet

Link to article

Deny any links with Putin if old.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Twitter thread is full of white nationalists arguing pepe is not a white nationalist symbol.

Whoever would have thought that memes were to become an important part of international relations and shaping a more fractured sociopolitical environment across the world.

Fucking humanity man, you can't write it.

Usobuko

Banned
On one hand, it's a brilliant maneuver targeting the correct crowd successfully.

On the other hand, the prices to be paid are huge.

2016 really opened my eyes.

GhostBed

Political twitter wars.

What will be the official term for countries having political disputes over social media?

Wilsongt

The Russian UK twitter is run by children.

The alt-right is probably eating it up. Maybe they should emigrate to Russia if they love Putin so much.

digdug2k

This is politics now.
This has been politics for a decade now. The news has literally been reporting stories that read like Junior High popularity contests. Even on here, right now, you see people talking about Obama's "legacy" rather than the actual health and well being of US citizens. Who the fuck cares about Obama's legacy. "Oh no, Obama might not be looked back on as a God in 100 years. The travesty!"

liquidtmd

Banned
Teresa May should retweet with the rage face meme

you see people talking about Obama's "legacy" rather than the actual health and well being of US citizens. Who the fuck cares about Obama's legacy.

Not all but with 'Obamas legacy' they could well be referring to the effects of Obama's measures and diplomacy towards initiatives relating to environmental and healthcare areas that look set to be ripped up.

Legacy does not equate just to 'how people perceive him'

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
This is actually fucking hilarious to me

Swear the world has turned into a big ass highschool, this can't be the embassy of a world super power tweeting this

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Whoever would have thought that memes were to become an important part of international relations and shaping a more fractured sociopolitical environment across the world.

This is actually fucking hilarious to me

Swear the world has turned into a big ass highschool, this can't be the embassy of a world super power tweeting this

That moment when you realise that 2016 was the preamble to 2017 in more ways than one.

6OI9CZm.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
We've reached a point in culture and history where GAF are debating whether the Russian Embassy should lay off the memes.

Buckle up buckaroo

Twitter and memes are convenient, immediate, and relevant forms of communication for a gigantic population of the planet. It shouldn't really be a surprise at this point. A twitter account can communicate far more with a globally recognized image of poorly drawn, downtrodden frog than it could with a carefully worded 9-page press release.

liquidtmd

Banned
I look forward to sitting down with my grandchildren

"I fought with your father in the Political meme wars of '17. He was a good friend"

E92 M3

Pretty funny to see the pepe meme - always cracks me up. What a time to be alive, stupid internet memes being used for politcs.

I can't wait to see Russia use lolwut.jpg for a twitter response.

That Pepe imagery is genuinely fucking creepy. I see it as the new swastika and the different, monstrous versions have the kind of imagery that give kids nightmares.
Whoever created that shit & is trying to reclaim it: It's over, you lost, that meme is here for the duration of Trump and probably for years afters hes gone.

The British attitude of trust to the US has always been that you can depend on them to do the right thing after they have tried everything else. Russia not so much.

Strike

Political comedy shows are going to have their work cut out for them. That is if were all still around in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom