• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Not suspiciously at all 2 superstar American minority athletes files leaked during a really testy racial tension period.

daxy

If by advantage you mean they are able to treat their medical condition while still competing in the sport they love, then yes.

Would be nice to see studies performed to back this up with actual data. Would this create equity among athletes or do those with a condition have an edge regardless? The fact that all of these people are also at the top of their sport internationally raises questions about fairness--whether they are truly ill or not. Hypothetical: a dude gets mechanical robot legs because he lost his own but wants to compete in the Olympics. Can run like 25 miles an hour. Is this fair competition? If a similar thing is happening at a molecular level here, I think it would be fair to all those who do not use banned drugs to see what these effects are in real life.

darscot

The standard isn't what you consider to be a PED, there is an entire agency that determines that. What about Ritalin and Adderall, does being more attentive give them an advantage by your standard? They didn't violate any rules and disclosed everything, there really isn't any smoking gun or "the jury is still out" moment here...not really sure what you're expecting.

Depending what she took for ADHD that is another fine line for me. Anything that is going to sharpen your focus is a huge advantage. Also there is no test for ADHD, there is no proof a person has it. ADHD drugs are so rampant in eSports they are talking about bringing in drug testing. We are talking about eSports banning them and this is about the Olympics. I still see Simone as the greatest gymnast alive today but this does make you wonder.

kottila

They're not completely incomparable. Sharapova (iirc) had a medical exemption for meldonium while it was legal. Unlike the cases presented here though, she used it after it became banned.
That said, unlike Sharapova, they did nothing (legally) wrong.

Shaparova never had a TUE from the anti doping agencies before meldonium was banned, why would she need one for a legal drug (on the watchlist)? She had a prescription from her own doctor

The people in this thread suggesting people should stop taking prescribed medication just because they play sport...

Jesus fucking wept.

cdyhybrid

Would be nice to see studies performed to back this up with actual data. Would this create equity among athletes or do those with a condition have an edge regardless? The fact that all of these people are also at the top of their sport internationally raises questions about fairness.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, but this is sensitive info so don't go telling everyone:

There are athletes worth taking medications under exemption that don't win anything

Would be nice to see studies performed to back this up with actual data. Would this create equity among athletes or do those with a condition have an edge regardless? The fact that all of these people are also at the top of their sport internationally raises questions about fairness.

You're looking at this too narrowly. These are (so far) only three people out of hundreds of athletes that brought home medals this year.

Slayven

Would be nice to see studies performed to back this up with actual data. Would this create equity among athletes or do those with a condition have an edge regardless? The fact that all of these people are also at the top of their sport internationally raises questions about fairness.[

No it doesn't, they just salty cause 2 black women are styling on fools

micheal phelps, most decorated Olympian of all time must have 2 step verification.

Yeah, I'm sure that given the opportunity to smear an American Olympic athlete of Phelps' caliber, the Russian hackers have decided to give him cover because he's a white male instead. That makes sense.

ADHD - that life threatening disease that require medication in time for Olympics.

If everything is legal doesn't make it also fair or moral.

Lol wtf...

Drugs for ADHD work differently for people with it then for people without it.

But hey sure let's just dismiss mental illnesses as no big thang.

Thank you Russia for exposing this bunch of black-hearted cheater thugs monkeying around in the dark with that innercity dope-ing

Next hack some video feeds to show them shuffling and lazing about during the national anthem

You do realize that drugs or no drugs there will always be someone at the top right?

Is everyone who is successful cheating? There is little evidence to support such a theory,

gutshot

Depending what she took for ADHD that is another fine line for me. Anything that is going to sharpen your focus is a huge advantage. Also there is no test for ADHD, there is no proof a person has it. ADHD drugs are so rampant in eSports they are talking about bringing in drug testing. We are talking about eSports banning them and this is about the Olympics. I still see Simone as the greatest gymnast alive today but this does make you wonder.

Nah, it really doesn't.

Euphor!a

Banned
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, but this is sensitive info so don't go telling everyone:

There are athletes worth taking medications under exemption that don't win anything

You say this like it matters lol. Just because I give a random guy PEDs it doesn't turn them into Usain Bolt, and you are not being clever for mentioning it. No one is saying they don't have innate talent, but what they can do is help it along.

Gattsu25

Banned
State sanctioned doping programs with FSB support to drill holes in walls and swap samples really seems similar to a few pre-approved exemptions based on legitimate medical issues.

That seems like a reasonable stand to take.
It is if you're an ignoramus.

darscot

Nah, it really doesn't.

Well as a Father of a national level gymnast, my daughter spent countless hours at a sports psychologist trying to improve her focus, having her declared ADHD would have been much easier. That being said most great athletes have some level of ADHD, you have to in order to practice they way they do.

Also, for anyone thinking this is not racially motivated.

Both are black women who in this or the last Olympics won major gold medals where the person they beat out for the top spot was a white Russian woman.

daxy

You do realize that drugs or no drugs there will always be someone at the top right?

Is everyone who is successful cheating? There is little evidence to support such a theory,

I'm not saying that at all. Those are your own baseless extrapolations. I'm saying that because they are at the top of their respective sports, it is worth doing further research on the effects of these drugs in regard to whether or not they--aside from treating the condition--give athletes an undue advantage. IE test whether there is a direct connection, rather than just a correlation.

Try spending time with my brother when he's not on medication. Dude's a grown man but devolves into a hyperactive child when not medicated.

Basically the bolded is the equivalent of "You can't prove autism exists, what you call autistic people are just weird."

John Dunbar

correct about everything
You're looking at this too narrowly. These are (so far) only three people out of hundreds of athletes that brought home medals this year.

i don't have any stats, but a significant number of the best skiers in the world seem to have asthma, and from what i understand it seems to be very common in winter sports in general.

The Olympics would be better if we only allowed healthy people with no medical conditions to compete. There's a certain purity to disqualifying people based on genetic and biological standards that I make up in my head.

Slayven

Well as a Father of a national level gymnast, my daughter spent countless hours at a sports psychologist trying to improve her focus, having her declared ADHD would have been much easier. That being said most great athletes have some level of ADHD, you have to in order to practice they way they do.

Are you a doctor and have exam Williams?

Guys, all medication is performance enhancing, that's why we give it to sick people. When healthy people take medicine, they become superhuman. I just took some tylenol and I benched a pickup five minutes ago.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Wonder what? The rules are the same for everyone. Okay, so something is a fine line for you but not the anti-doping agencies for the Olympics and their respective sports. Are you going to boycott watching the Olympics? I don't really see what you're getting at. That someone got diagnosed with ADHD years before they became an Olympian so that it would give them some unproven advantage in gymnastics or tennis?

darscot

Try spending time with my brother when he's not on medication. Dude's a grown man but devolves into a hyperactive child when not medicated.

Basically the bolded is the equivalent of "You can't prove autism exists, what you call autistic people are just weird."

I meant scientific proof, I in no way meant to take away from the people that legitimately have it. I apologize that i came across that way.

Futureman

I took Adderall once before playing intramural roller hockey and I scored 5 goals. Adderall is that one drug I always thought athletes could abuse and see impressive results.

I'm not claiming to know anything about Biles' mental health (she may not even be taking Adderall, there are non-stimulant meds for ADHD), just an aside.

It's unreasonable to expect an athlete to quit taking a medication that's necessary for maintaining good health. It's one thing if they're unnecessarily taking performance-altering substances, it's quite another if they have legitimate medical issues. Can an argument be made about what should/shouldn't be whitelisted? Perhaps. But as it stands, it was done legally, so the athletes themselves have not violated any rules.

cdyhybrid

You say this like it matters lol. Just because I give a random guy PEDs it doesn't turn them into Usain Bolt, and you are not being clever for mentioning it. No one is saying they don't have innate talent, but what they can do is help it along.
Irrelevant. This has been allowed for years and years.

One of the earliest and most notorious Lance incidents was when he got busted for using cortisone. He used his influence to get a backdated TUE that stated it was for saddle sores.

Armstrong used a backdated TUE to escape a positive test.

Bad example, but the point largely still stands. There's plenty of athletes in sports that get banned / fined and don't have the doctor note to back up their claims. If it were as easy as Ikuu's post implied there would be a lot less people getting in trouble.

The Olympics would be better if we only allowed healthy people with no medical conditions to compete. There's a certain purity to disqualifying people based on genetic and biological standards that I make up in my head.

Well the olympics are for everyone and currently if you're an athlete with a serious medical ailment you participate in teh special olympics. If ADHD is considered "not healthy" then just imagine Simone Biles competing in the special olympics. Also, if you're under 4'10" (Simone is 5'9") you're legally a dwarf.

Mr. X

Shoutouts to the athletes taking ADHD meds and still losing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How would you prove that, and would you bar someone from taking medication for ADHD?

No, I wouldn't bar someone from taking prescription medication as long as she does it legally. Which it's obvious she did.

I'm just saying that having medication that increases your focus and attention is very convenient for a sport like gymnastics. One needs much more than this to be a great gymnast. But I still think that it might be questionable in terms of fairness.

For example I have nothing to say about Serena and Venus, I don't see anything wrong in any way there. I also argued with people trying to excuse Sharapova in some previous threads. I also have no love for Russia. Like at all.

But it's fine, I understand people are rather looking at this story though the national glasses, so maybe it would be good idea to step out, seeing the level of aggression that can be reached.

Edit: no, I'm not an native speaker, obviously, so be free to pick on that, it really shows you in a much better picture.

Slayven

I took Adderall once before playing intramural roller hockey and I scored 5 goals. Adderall is that one drug I always thought athletes could abuse and see impressive results.

I'm not claiming to know anything about Biles' mental health (she may not even be taking Adderall, there are non-stimulant meds for ADHD), just an aside.

Intramural and Olympics operate on the same levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom