• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Head Transplant Doctor Looks Identical to Doctor in MGSV - KOJIMA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Next thing you're going to tell me is that all the shit going down in the middle-east is MGSV viral marketing.

lmao I bet its not even a coincidence.

Not a coincidence (imo), especially when you look at the facial hair / glasses.

Too much a fine detail to be mere coincidence. By the way, I'm not referring to the viral marketing speculation, but the trailer surgeon being identical to the RL surgeon.

Dawg

The doctor isn't unique-looking.

Maybe not, but you cannot deny the fact they both have the same glasses, similar facial hair, same ears and facial structure, imo. And the fact this guy is best known for planning the first human head transplant ever? The Phantom Pain? So many reasons to think this might not just be a coincidence.

That isn't to say I believe Big Boss underwent such a surgery. But I don't think it's that hard to imagine Kojima using Sergio Canavero as inspiration for this character. The FOX engine is all about being able to recreate real life faces in the game.

Shauni

Yeah, I'll go with coincidence. Or maybe Kojima was following the story and modeled the doctor after him or something like that. It's cool, though, if not for the dumbass Gray Fox shit that leaks in with it. I wish everyone who believed that would shoot themselves or something. That's probably too harsh, but I hate how that junk has to rear it's ugly head in almost any Metal Gear topic.

Just a couple thoughts - the name of the patient who is receiving the transplant is Valery Spiridonov.

Any one know if that name carries any significant meaning or interpretation? Not to join the crazy train. I just suspected this doctor after first reading about the procedure, and the lookalike within MGS V makes me wonder if Kojima is attempting a larger morality play within the confines of The Phantom Pain.

That subtitle could refer to the pain that lingers after possessing another person's body, the more I think about it.

Some background information:

"No problem. Come to Vladimir, Russia. I will tie you up to Valery's wheelchair, you will poo and pee the way he does, you will sleep the way he does, for 24 hours, OK? After 24 hours, I will ask you 'do you still believe that this is going to be a crazy project?' and I can bet you 100 to one that it is possible he will change his mind," he told Reuters in his studio in the northern Italian city of Turin.

"The real issue is when we get down to the physiology of the situation. One of the problems that is brought up is the ability to heal the severed spinal cord, which is what would happen if you cut a head off and put it on a different body. You would try and fuse that spinal cord together. Our current technology doesn't allow that healing to occur," he said.

Rapstah

Just a couple thoughts - the name of the patient who is receiving the transplant is Valery Spiridonov.

Any one know if that name carries any significant meaning or interpretation?

Valery is a generic male name that originally meant "strength" and Spiridonov is from Saint Spiridon, who's a saint. I think it's just a real guy.

Zyae

QML9s.gif

sakipon

Yeah, funny enough he happens to look like a rather stereotypical doctor.

Could there be any consequences by the way? Could any developer for example steal my face and recreate me in their game representing my real life profession? I bet they do have the "All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental" disclaimer but still.

Yes, though unfortunately it hasn't stopped idiots from coming away with the wrong message. Of course that's true for any work of art.

I mean the games in a way are quite light hearted but the issues they deal with are serious. It's a Japanese created series that deals with the threat of nuclear warfare. I would've thought it was fairly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom