• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian intel planted Seth Rich conspiracy theory

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Hmm, to play devil's advocate: it only states the SVR circulated a fake internal report. This doesn't prove he wasn't assassinated, merely that Russia capitalized on it. To this day, there are no suspects in custody.

I wonder if Jimmy Dore will make a video about this. :pie_thinking:

Reactions: autoduelist

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Hmm, to play devil's advocate: it only states the SVR circulated a fake internal report. This doesn't prove he wasn't assassinated, merely that Russia capitalized on it. To this day, there are no suspects in custody.

They also do not present evidence that this is what actually caused the story to spread, or even that it was the genesis of it.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I really wonder if in 30 years will people look back on this era as the left wing’s version of McCarthyism. It seems far too convienent of a boogeyman to just throw out the Russia did it card every single time.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
What a bullshit story

The purported details in the SVR account seemed improbable on their face: that Rich, a data director in the DNC’s voter protection division, was on his way to alert the FBI to corrupt dealings by Clinton when he was slain in the early hours of a Sunday morning by the former secretary of state’s hit squad.
I don't believe Clinton ordered a hit on Seth Rich, but that is not even the theory associated with Seth Rich's murder. The theory is that Rich leaked a file with the emails to Wikileaks and Clinton/DNC found out and had him silenced. The story took off because of Julian Assange hinting towards it on a TV interview after Rich's death. At no point do I remember some intel report being associated with the theory or that Rich was going to blurb to the FBI.

This is a fake news story about a fake story that is being framed as the same as an old story when it's not. It's just not the same as the Seth Rich Conspiracy. It's a different sort of conspiracy and to try to conflate the two is highly suspect.

Summary: The fake intel report is not the Seth Rich Conspiracy story and they're presenting it as though it is.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/07/report-russian-intel-started-the-seth-rich-rumor-to-cover-for-dnc-hack/

Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR, or Sluzhba Vneshney Razvedki Rossiyskoy Federatsii), the successor to the Soviet KGB's First Chief Directorate, is the keeper of the KGB's legacy of "active measures." The group engages in political warfare using subversive operations to weaken the United States and links between NATO allies. And according to a new report from Yahoo News' Michael Isikoff, the SVR played a particularly underhanded role in activities leading up to the 2016 US presidential election in order to create a counter-narrative to the exposure of other Russian intelligence agencies' hacking operations at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC). The SVR wanted to spin a conspiracy theory about the death of DNC staffer Seth Rich—a conspiracy theory that promoted Rich as the source of DNC and Clinton campaign emails published by Guccifer 2.0 and WikiLeaks.

This fabricated narrative had Rich being killed not in a botched robbery, as Washington DC police had found, but by a hit squad hired by Hillary Clinton as retribution for leaking campaign emails to WikiLeaks. This conspiracy theory was planted through various websites and later promoted by InfoWars' Alex Jones and other "alt-right" media outlets. Ultimately, it was even promoted within the Trump administration as investigations by the Justice Department into the DNC and Clinton email hacks went forward.

Julian Assange suggested that Rich was a source—and was killed as a result—in an interview with Dutch television. He made those suggestions even though he knew that WikiLeaks had received the emails after Rich was killed. Assange's suggestion spurred additional speculation, which was also fueled by posts from a Twitter account: @TEN_GOP, a fake Tennessee Republican account. @TEN_GOP was one of several accounts run by the Internet Research Agency, the organization in St. Petersburg that ran the Russian social media disinformation campaign leading up to, and in the wake of, the 2016 presidential elections.

Former Assistant US Attorney Deborah Sines, who was in charge of the investigation into the Rich murder case until she retired in 2018, told Isikoff that she had seen copies of two SVR intelligence reports about Seth Rich that had been intercepted by US intelligence agencies. The reports contained fake "intelligence bulletins" claiming that Rich had thought he was meeting with the FBI but instead was met by a team of Clinton-hired assassins. The bulletin was planted on Whatdoesitmean.com—a site used to host a number of Russian disinformation campaigns.

At the time SVR circulated the conspiracy, Trump supporters, including former advisor Steve Bannon, continued to push the story with media outlets. “Huge story … he was a Bernie guy … it was a contract kill, obviously,” Bannon said of Rich in a March 17, 2017 text message to a CBS “60 Minutes” producer that was later seen by Yahoo News.

In May of 2017, Fox News reported a claim that an FBI forensics report had shown Rich was in communication with WikiLeaks before he died—a story promoted on Sean Hannity's program by Jay Sekulow, an attorney for Trump. Sines told Isikoff that the story was a "complete fabrication." And an FBI spokesperson told Yahoo that the FBI had never even opened an investigation into Rich's murder, let alone looked at his laptop. Rich's death was considered a Washington Metro Police matter. (Fox News was ultimately forced to retract the story.)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Got to clean up all Clinton connected threads before she announces her run in the next 6 months or so.

Shit, they are working overtime scrubbing Billy boy.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: autoduelist

finowns

May 10, 2009
The conspiracy writes itself though hardly needs Russia’s help. And when did an American need a Russian to create a conspiracy we don’t need anyone’s help for that.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012

Playing devil's advocate in service to crackpot conservative theories? I'm shocked I say, shocked!

Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Playing devil's advocate in service to crackpot conservative theories? I'm shocked I say, shocked!
Diving into a thread with yet another empty hot-take? I'm shocked, I say, shocked!

Don't you have other victims to feed off for attention, or did you discard too many of them and you have to come crawling back to me?

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Its not shock its just nostalgia hitting you... i mean didnt you yourself buy into the muh russia conspiracy theory for two years? Basically everyone gets played, on both sides lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Russia or not, his parents already explicitly addressed this whole situation years ago, as far as I'm concerned:

We know that Seth’s personal email and his personal computer were both inspected by detectives early in the investigation and that the inspection revealed no evidence of any communications with anyone at WikiLeaks or anyone associated with WikiLeaks. Nor did that inspection reveal any evidence that Seth had leaked DNC emails to WikiLeaks or to anyone else. Indeed, those who have suggested that Seth’s role as a data analyst at the DNC gave him access to a wide trove of emails are simply incorrect — Seth’s job was to develop analytical models to encourage voters to turn out to vote. He didn’t have access to DNC emails, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee emails, John Podesta’s emails or Hillary Clinton’s emails. That simply wasn’t his job.
Opportunists continue to use his death as a way to smear democrats. Because, you know, democrats don't embarrass themselves weekly anyway, so we need to develop conspiracy theories about murdered staffers and pizza shop pedo rings.

• Fire
Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Because, you know, democrats don't embarrass themselves weekly anyway, so we need to develop conspiracy theories about murdered staffers and pizza shop pedo rings.
I agree completely. We can't continue to just say everything we don't like is a Deep State cover up. IMO, that's just as bad as blaming Russia for it all.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: 12Goblins

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Russia or not, his parents already explicitly addressed this whole situation years ago, as far as I'm concerned:

Opportunists continue to use his death as a way to smear democrats. Because, you know, democrats don't embarrass themselves weekly anyway, so we need to develop conspiracy theories about murdered staffers and pizza shop pedo rings.
I respect his parents' wishes, but the kid was obviously whacked and pretending otherwise is hilariously disingenuous.

Reactions: Tesseract

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
Most of the quotes from the Rich family come from the DNC handler. I suspect the Rich family just want some peace and privacy, but realize anything funneled through that guy is funneled through someone working for the DNC and not the family. The family cannot afford him.

It feels so odd for all this stuff to be dredged back up now. Everything surrounding Seth Rich is a mess. The botched robbery explanation is obviously bogus, but there's little absolutely known. Just a lot of questions left unanswered. To drag it back up feels very "blue church". Especially when I look at that ArsTechnica article on it which makes claims that the Yahoo report doesn't make. They really don't expect their audience to read the source material. These suddenly giant leaps of logic are pure narrative work. It's all very depressing to watch go on.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Russians know how to use Facebook and Twitter, i think is what we are slowly starting to realize here.

The Russians claimed Rich, a 27-year-old working as a data director for the DNC, was going to alert the FBI to corrupt dealings by Clinton when he was murdered by assassins. Those details then appeared on whatdoesitmean.com, an obscure website that promotes Russian propaganda.
EVEN WORSE, whatdoesitmean.com? that website is so large and influential! /s

it is scary to have so many people have a free voice on the internet. really we should leave it all in the hands of our government, and let the people running child internment camps decide what we should and should not see on the internet. have the US Senators and Congress people write a list of accepted websites that are allowed on the internet (Twitter is obviously in, they are big donors). that sounds like a great idea. only they can save us from the scourge of misinformation /s

Last edited: