• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust dev angers fans by announcing new prototype Riftlight

Bread

Banned
Every week he posts a blog saying exactly what each person on team is working on for Rust. It's usually a pretty impressive amount. This won't change that
They've been incredibly transparent in the development of Rust, I can't believe people are still giving them crap for this.

espher

You'll get some people angry who (most often incorrectly) think that precious resources are being taken away from another project.

Reminds me of people that would lose their minds over art updates in DAoC/Warhammer patch notes when there were still other buggy elements. The artists should totally either sit idle and/or be writing code. Good plan.

That's nasty. That's not how developers should work. They should

1. Finish Video Game Franchise 5
2. Start working on Video Game Franchise 6
3. Finish Video Game Franchise 6
4. and so on.

I'd understand if they stopped working on Rust but this outrage is just stupid.

EDIT: I meant that the outrage is stupid, not the idea of prototyping.

Mozendo

Ehh, Rust just going an experimental branch and it gets updated about once every week.
If the experimental branch didn't happen I'd see a reason to get angry.

4. and so on.

I'd understand if they stopped working on Rust but this is just stupid.

I really hope this is a troll post, because otherwise it's distilled stupid.

4. and so on.

That process would work if Video Game 6 only takes an year to develop, which it wont.

These days, video games, on average, take 2-3 years to develop. So it is not surprising for a studio to work on multiple games at the same time. It makes business sense.

Widge

It's because we (as outsiders) have an assumption that game development starts with everybody working on the first moment of a game and then working through the game chronologically to the end of the game, at which point it gets released and they are freed up to work on something new.

This isn't the case.

Castcoder

Banned
This is turning into a PR nightmare fast. If anyone seeing this is, or wants to become an indie developer, PLEASE take note, alongside the recent Kickstarter fiascoes. DO NOT show us a different game when you're still in development of another game. Had this been announced a few months after Rust was completed, then it would work. But this is like Apple saying "Here's the iPhone 6, but the iPhone 7 is coming out two months after the iPhone 6 with triple the processing power of the iPhone 6!" It makes no sense and only causes confusion and backlash. Really poor marketing on their part here.

You really gotta love the anger of the fans.

Do you guys not remember how Garry fucked over all the owners of Garry's Mod with the last update? It made most of the old maps and models incompatible with the game. Nobody will ever fix all of them.

Then he moved on to Rust. And now he does this.

Maybe he's working on more than one game at once. Or maybe he's going to do the same thing again. I wouldn't give him any more of my money, that's for sure.

Bread

Banned
You really gotta love the anger of the fans.

Do you guys not remember how Garry fucked over all the owners of Garry's Mod with the last update? It made most of the old maps and models incompatible with the game. Nobody will ever fix all of them.

Then he moved on to Rust. And now he does this.

Maybe he's working on more than one game at once. Or maybe he's going to do the same thing again. I wouldn't give him any more of my money, that's for sure.
smfh

4. and so on.

Well not really...

It should be this:

1. Prototype Game 6
2. Finish Game 5
3. Start on Game 6
4. Prototype Game 7
5. Finish Game 6
6. Start Game 7

You obviously don't want everyone working on prototypes, but you need to prototype early because you don't want people just sitting around waiting for work to do when the game is done.

However, you just DON'T ANNOUNCE your prototypes. It's stupid for public image even if it is what happens in game development.

Imagine if DICE said they're prototyping BF5 just after BF4's launch... of course they're prototyping BF5, but they're not that stupid to say it.

Ovek

7Member7
Don't buy in to unfinished rubbish like early access, the developers will already have your money and won't give to shits about you or finishing the game.

Shit they could just say it's finished in a completely fucked state and there wouldn't be anything you can do about it.

Is RUST a finished game?

lol no far from it. the game was broken. And they kept expanding it. So to expand further, they had to rewrite everything from the ground up. Now there is too version : the old one, stuck in update, and the new one, with new engine, new code, new maps (now procedural vs old static map) but still missing tons of features to be playable like the old one.

Don't buy in to unfinished rubbish like early access, the developers will already have your money and won't give to shits about you or finishing the game.

Shit they could just say it's finished in a completely fucked state and there wouldn't be anything you can do about it.

This is not true, but there's a kernel of truth to it. I've bought several early access games through Steam. A majority of them are kept up to date. Only a small handful are basically ignored by their developers.

However, you just DON'T ANNOUNCE your prototypes. It's stupid for public image even if it is what happens in game development.

Imagine if DICE said they're prototyping BF5 just after BF4's launch... of course they're prototyping BF5, but they're not that stupid to say it.

Announcing BF sequel prototyping is apples to oranges.

A better analogy would be Blizzard announcing Diablo III while still working on Starcraft and WoW. Oh wait, they do that and nobody cares? Weird.

Bread

Banned
Oh, he didn't break all that content that was made for Garry's Mod, then say, "sorry, deal with it," and move on to another game entirely?

Come on, now. That was pretty shitty.
Notice what I bolded. He has done nothing wrong with Rust, they've been upfront about every design choice for months now.

This is turning into a PR nightmare fast. If anyone seeing this is, or wants to become an indie developer, PLEASE take note, alongside the recent Kickstarter fiascoes. DO NOT show us a different game when you're still in development of another game. Had this been announced a few months after Rust was completed, then it would work. But this is like Apple saying "Here's the iPhone 6, but the iPhone 7 is coming out two months after the iPhone 6 with triple the processing power of the iPhone 6!" It makes no sense and only causes confusion and backlash. Really poor marketing on their part here.

It's more like if Apple announced the iPhone 6 and then said the new iPad or Macbook is coming out 2 months later. Is that a problem? It's not like they're already developing Rust 2.

Haunted

4. and so on.

I hope you are joking. Think about what you're saying. That's not how game development works. Just in case you weren't taking the piss (or for other clueless people in here who definitely weren't), consider this:

Think about the different disciplines involved in game creation nowadays. Think of a concept artist, for example. He's done his work on video game franchise 5, his paintings are done, the level designers, environmental artists and camera placers know the vision for the levels, know the colour pallette and mood they're aiming for. His model concepts are done. The team has decided on the look of the characters and enemies, the modellers and texture artists are hard at work. So here are still a hundred people working on video game franchise 5, but the concepters work is done.

What is he supposed to do? Wait 6-12 months until video game franchise 5 is completed before he starts his work on video game franchise 6?

Now, this case in particularly doesn't 100% apply to the Rust devs, as they're a small team and I assume everyone has multiple roles to fill, so their concept artist guy might also do some texture art, or might do something else for example.

But game development is fluid, and especially smaller teams need to maximise the efficiency of every one of their employees. So when it doesn't make 100% sense for one person with a specific skillset to still work on Rust, his talents are maybe best used to prototype their next thing.

Now whether it's smart to announce this next thing publicly while their previous thing is still in early access is another matter entirely. But I think considering how open the Rust devs have been about every design decision and considering that Rust is still getting worked on, being continually updated, most people with a modicum of understanding on how game development actually works would appreciate that honesty instead. I assume those bitching aren't really thinking about what's happening and are arguing out of ignorance.

It's more like if Apple announced the iPhone 6 and then said the new iPad or Macbook is coming out 2 months later. Is that a problem? It's not like they're already developing Rust 2.

they have rebooted the developpment on Rust ! The new version, which is again, more promesses is buggy as fuck compared to the old one they don't support anymore. it's like DayZ mod to standalone but without paying after, just before. You pay for a game in early access and you have to wait for 2 to 3 years for it to deliver promesses meanwhile dev worked on side projects and might have completed them. I can understand the feeling of people. That's why I won't ever buy early acess.

they have rebooted the developpment on Rust ! The new version, which is again, more promesses is buggy as fuck compared to the old one they don't support anymore. it's like DayZ mod to standalone but without paying after, just before. You pay for a game in early access and you have to wait for 2 to 3 years for it to deliver promesses meanwhile dev worked on side projects and might have completed them. I can understand the feeling of people. That's why I won't ever buy early acess.

Well they call it "early access" for a reason. I feel like they were pretty up front about how early the game was and how much it was going to change by the end. It's not like you have to pay for the new version either (which looks pretty great) if you've already payed for early access. Hell, you even still have access to the old version.

Also game dev studios work on multiple projects at the same time as long as their teams are big enough. That is how it's done. Hello Games has other games in the works besides No Man's Sky and they're a tiny team.

Grief.exe

4. and so on.

Troll post?

Oh crap, I meant that this outrage is stupid, not that the prototyping is stupid. Reading the post now I can see how I didn't quite deliver on that joke.

I don't work at video games industry, but I work on a field quite comparable to it and churn out ideas and prototypes on daily basis. Some go to trash can, some get eventually turned into a final product and most get absorbed to other projects. Needless to say, it's insanely useful in every single way.

Can't blame fans since Early Access has burnt a lot of people in the past and still does.

I'll blame the fans if they jump to conclusions and immediately assume the worst of a developer when they should be informing themselves instead. Doesn't matter how many times fans "get burnt" (which to me sounds like code for "didn't do their research before buying a pre-alpha game"), throwing the trademark internet hyperbole and irrational hate at a developer that has literally done nothing wrong is disgusting.

I've said this before but I'll say it again, there's a hidden "cost" for indie developers who want to go Early Access or Kickstarter to fund their projects, and that cost is dealing with legions of screaming "customers" who are just as irate as they are misinformed. You have to have a really thick skin if you're a legitimate developer on these two channels, because the amount of yelling thrown at you over nothing is sure to drive anyone insane.

Top Bottom