• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust dev angers fans by announcing new prototype Riftlight

mocoworm

What do you think? Should they deliver on RUST first?

Click for FULL article and more quotes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-28-rust-dev-angers-fans-by-announcing-new-game-riftlight

Rust developer Facepunch Studios has stirred the hornets' nest by announcing a prototype for a new game: an arcade space shooter (with action-RPG elements) called Riftlight, and it's bright and colourful.

Why are people angry about that? Because Rust is an unfinished game - it's still in Early Access on Steam. How dare Facepunch work on a new game when the other one isn't finished yet?

Money from Garry's Mod went into making Rust, remember. But why should Rust players be footing the bill for Riftlight?

In a blog post written this morning, Facepunch leader Garry Newman addressed exactly that concern, after sharing some rather colourful feedback the company received when Riftlight was announced.

"How you gonna start a new game with the other one not even finished?" enquired one curious mind.

"That's like taking a dump, putting that dump on standby and starting a new one. With the old one still up in there."

Actually it turns out Facepunch has three other prototypes for games in development in addition to Rust and Riftlight.

"Are we crazy?" responded Newman. "Are we doing it wrong? Should every person in the company be working on the same thing? Should HBO make one TV show at a time? Should Warner Brothers make one movie at a time?

MUnited83

For you.
It's a prototype. It isn't on full-blown development. There is nothing wrong with this. You will find that most developers always have some prototypes of something going around and being talked about.

Wereroku

If they are a small company trying to work on 5 games at once no wonder rust has so many problems. I like that they compare themselves to a large studio.

Kade

Always the people ignorant about game development who get worked up.

If they are a small company trying to work on 5 games at once no wonder rust has so many problems. I like that they compare themselves to a large studio.

Rust has so many problems because it's in Alpha. Not the AAA publisher version of alpha like Destiny and Battlefield Hardline but a legit alpha.

What do you think? Should they deliver on RUST first?

Click for FULL article and more quotes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-28-rust-dev-angers-fans-by-announcing-new-game-riftlight

Definitely have to side with the dev on this one. Two different games at two different points in development helps to maximize efficiency from what I understand. There's really no shame in going two at once at all.

I also secretly kind of hope someone like Facepunch completely abandons an unfinished game just to show how poisonous this early-access trend is. I know it's mean, but I feel it's also inevitable. I'm off to sing my Disney villain musical number now.

Ryuuga

Banned
I hope this thread doesn't turn out like the last one where people came in to reaffirm their hatred for early access.

Edit: Nevermind it's starting.

I hope this thread doesn't turn out like the last one where people came in to reaffirm their hatred for early access.

Edit: Nevermind it's starting.

Hey, this is the first time I've read or said anything negative about early access, so technically I'm not reaffirming anything.

L~A

Typical stuff. People who don't know anything will always pretend they know everything. And then purposefully ignore those who know so they can keep on ranting.

renitou

I also secretly kind of hope someone like Facepunch completely abandons an unfinished game just to show how poisonous this early-access trend is. I know it's mean, but I feel it's also inevitable. I'm off to sing my Disney villain musical number now.
So you want something to happen that hasn't happened, to prove your position that it's inevitable that something like that would happen.

Yikes!

Totally depends on the studio size. If it has enough staff to support work on multiple games then more power to them. I can understand people's concerns if they slapped a wad of dosh down on Rust before completion, but without knowing the studio's size, it's a bit presumptious of them to assume Rust will either never get finished, or it's development will slow down considerably.

Does Rust have a DayZ level history of coming along slowly or something?

Wereroku

Rust has so many problems because it's in Alpha. Not the AAA publisher version of alpha like Destiny and Battlefield Hardline but a legit alpha.

Maybe they should get their first game out of alpha before revealing a new prototype. They had to have known there would be backlash from this. I understand they are trying to be better than the bigger studios by being open but if you have a game that is currently unfinished and people are experiencing problems with it you don't show off your new project. It makes people think you aren't devoting your resources to their favorite game. Also his post is a little silly comparing their company to HBO or Apple. Yeah Apple developed the IPad with mac and iphone sales but unlike rust the Iphone and mac were complete consumer products not half finished alphas.

Let people be angry. They will always be. I think it's admirable that they even took time to adress the "concerns" in such a polite way.

If people don't like early access, don't buy early access.

Drinkel

Most studios have multiple prototypes going at the same time, it helps with inspiration and motivation. The effort it takes to put together a prototype compared to a released finished product is so massive that the impact on the main project is negligible.

So you want something to happen that hasn't happened, to prove your position that it's inevitable that something like that would happen.

Yikes!

Don't read too much into it. Sometimes my cartoon brain just spouts visions of chaos wrecking havoc across the land of toys and internet lunacy.

Cade

Ah, Double Fine's business model, but taken to the next logical step.

If they're still working on Rust though, who cares? If you buy an Early Access title you should expect to wait before it's finished. If you don't like pledging your money and getting a product early, wait for it to release. That's why it's there.

Most studios have multiple projects. I get that.

But its not like Bungie sold people destiny, unfinished, then moved on to other projects as well.

Arent we all mad at EA for announcing battlefield hardline after having DICE get battlefield 4 to what could finally be called "stable" after 5 months of release?

Delivering on what they say they are going to deliver on is become more and more the rarity rather than the norm in this industry.

That said, its an easy problem to fix. Dont kickstart/buy on early access. I still think if you do that, youre setting yourself up

MUnited83

For you.
Why make a full game when you can make money on betas with promises? Seems a valid strategy.

This reminds me why I dislike Early Access. You pay for a promise and most of them are liars.

Most studios have multiple projects. I get that.

But its not like Bungie sold people destiny, unfinished, then moved on to other projects as well.

Arent we all mad at EA for announcing battlefield hardline after having DICE get battlefield 4 to what could finally be called "stable" after 5 months of release?

Delivering on what they say they are going to deliver on is become more and more the rarity rather than the norm in this industry.

And the idiotic drive-by shitposting begins.

Besides, they didn't "move on" to other projects. Rust is getting lots of updates and development is going full scale. Also, the team on the prototype isn't even the Rust team.

SerTapTap

It's a prototype. It isn't on full-blown development. There is nothing wrong with this. You will find that most developers always have some prototypes of something going around and being talked about.

IMO they probably shouldn't parade it around too much before Rust is in a more final state though. It's been a big PR issue, realities of gamedev aside. Since they're, best I can tell, only talking about the prototype for PR purposes it seems misguided at best.

The reactions are pretty bad too. The Double Fine "this is worked on by a second team. It will not affect the first project's development anyway" is a great response. "Whatever dude we can work on multiple things at once, besides *compares self to billion dollar company*" is...less great a response.

Basically I'm not worried about this dev-wise, but PR-wise this was pretty dumb.

Ryuuga

Banned
Hey, this is the first time I've read or said anything negative about early access, so technically I'm not reaffirming anything.

Sure, but I also could have said confirm and be just as right. It's your opinion that early access is a poisonous trend, but I'm not sure why you'd want one of the few developers using the system as intended to poison, an apparently already poisoned, well. I certainly wouldn't want Valve to start charging per hero in Dota 2, or want Grinding Gear to add paid time-gates in Path of Exile just to show people how bad F2P can be.

Dryk

Totally depends on the studio size. If it has enough staff to support work on multiple games then more power to them. I can understand people's concerns if they slapped a wad of dosh down on Rust before completion, but without knowing the studio's size, it's a bit presumptious of them to assume Rust will either never get finished, or it's development will slow down considerably.

Does Rust have a DayZ level history of coming along slowly or something?
It's this big

Wereroku

Most studios have multiple prototypes going at the same time, it helps with inspiration and motivation. The effort it takes to put together a prototype compared to a released finished product is so massive that the impact on the main project is negligible.

It doesn't matter if it has little impact on Rust. The people getting upset over this are not developers they are players who see a company starting something else without finishing the game they already paid for. There is a reason companies usually keep this secret. Its the same reason there was such a backlash over Hardline with BF4 still performing like shit.

Recall

Why is it idiotic when it is proven as been valid? If your unfinished game makes a lot of money lot of devs don't finish the game. How many unfinished games that sold a lot have reached 100% completion? Just a tiny few right?

Money makes the world go round.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IMO they probably shouldn't parade it around too much before Rust is in a more final state though. It's been a big PR issue, realities of gamedev aside. Since they're, best I can tell, only talking about the prototype for PR purposes it seems misguided at best.

The reactions are pretty bad too. The Double Fine "this is worked on by a second team. It will not affect the first project's development anyway" is a great response. "Whatever dude we can work on multiple things at once, besides *compares self to billion dollar company*" is...less great a response.

Basically I'm not worried about this dev-wise, but PR-wise this was pretty dumb.

This is where I come down. Nothing wrong with them working on it, but showing it might not be the best move

Zia

As long as they fulfill their obligation to those that've spent money on Rust, it shouldn't be a problem.

The HBO analogy is silly, though. Television shows aren't aired in a half-finished state then iterated upon over the course of years.

MUnited83

For you.
Why is it idiotic when it is proven as been valid? If your unfinished game makes a lot of money lot of devs don't finish the game. How many unfinished games that sold a lot have reached 100% completion? Just a tiny few right?

Money makes the world go round.

Actually many already. Besides, newsflash: making games takes time.

As long as they fulfill their obligation to those that've spent money on Rust, it shouldn't be a problem.

The HBO analogy is silly, though. Television shows aren't aired in a half-finished state then iterated upon over the course of years.

It would work if HBO put out 3 episodes of 'game of thrones' and said they are gonna still work on it while they go make 'the leftovers'

elyetis

I really don't see much reason to complain.

-It's only a prototype
-For all we know it isn't the work of the Rust developement team

I have my share of complain about some games development but at the moment Rust ( even if I don't follow it that much ) doesn't seem to repeat the same thing I've seen myself complain about for other games :

-They increased the team size working on the game when the game became a success ( which is one of my biggest complain about Minecraft, they almost didn't ; or a little different but a studio like valve lowering Dota 2 support as it increase in popularity and still didn't achieve parity )
-They choose to go from scratch when it became obvious the engine wasn't good for the project ( which is one of my biggest complain about Dayz Standalone )
-They actually let people play very alpha stuff which is what I expect from that kind of release. ( opposite of Star citizen which will choose delay after delay over a 'rough' alpha )

And one person is working on a prototype? This seems perfectly reasonable. The reactions are probably a combination of early-access critics looking for a banner to rally behind, and serious fans of RUST who are thirsty for more. If my time playing WOW taught me anything, it's that the biggest fans will bite the hand that feeds much harder and more quickly than the casuals at the first sign of change.

Gekidami

Banned
Time will tell if it really affects Rust. But its quite understandable that people who have already put down money on a game with the hopes it'll get turned into a solid, full release later down the line are worried.

I mean, if you pay a guy in advance to build you a new kitchen, you want to see him getting the job done. You dont want him to tell you that he's took on the extra work of building your next door neighbours bathroom.

Sure, but I also could have said confirm and be just as right. It's your opinion that early access is a poisonous trend, but I'm not sure why you'd want one of the few developers using the system as intended to poison, an apparently already poisoned, well. I certainly wouldn't want Valve to start charging per hero in Dota 2, or want Grinding Gear to add paid time-gates in Path of Exile just to show people how bad F2P can be.

I suppose I haven't been following the early-access scene closely enough to know who's doing it well and who isn't so excuse my ignorance if I'm trying to turn the wrong developer into the villain. I don't want everything to go to shit for early-access because it sounds like it could be cool... I guess I'm just waiting for an event to happen that makes people more cautious about giving companies your money in new and exciting ways. That seems to be the way it always works. The Great Depression happened because everyone had this grand ol' vision of buying anything and everything on credit and taking it to the nth degree. It was only after that whole ordeal that people woke up to the ramifications. No person preaching against it could've stopped it.

In other words, I'm like a 1920s economist but for toys in 2014.

Wereroku

And one person is working on a prototype? This seems perfectly reasonable. The reactions are probably a combination of early-access critics looking for a banner to rally behind, and serious fans of RUST who are thirsty for more. If my time playing WOW taught me anything, it's that the biggest fans will bite the hand that feeds much harder and more quickly than the casuals at the first sign of change.

Is there a link saying only one person is working on this because I can't find it anywhere but from a poster in this thread?

Grief.exe

Money from Garry's Mod went into making Rust, remember. But why should Rust players be footing the bill for Riftlight?

Talk about ignorance.

Facepunch has enough capital to run multiple teams and multiple projects. Developing their New games doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to Rust.

I'd imagine their new game is in more of a pre-production stage anyways.

KHlover

Banned

Those guys at least gave a reason why they dislike the early access model. You just insulted them. 1a drive-by shitpost at work.

OT: I understand that it's only one dev working at the prototype at the moment and that the development of Rust probably won't be affected at all. But at the same time I understand that customers are worrried. Even though I think it would be a tremendously stupid move the devs at one point might decide that putting more time and money into Rust wouldn't bring as much profit as developing their new game. It would probably be PR suicide and never happen, but it theoretically could.

Iffy situation all around :/

Hellshy.

If u were to ask me I would say it was ignorant of the devs to be showing off prototypes while their latest game is still in "legit" alpha.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How big of a company are Facepunch?

Because they sure as hell aren't comparable to HBO...

This. While I get what he's getting at, it's a stupid comparison. Rust is still "Early Access" and had a total engine-rewrite (? game rewrite? Something similar...) to do "what we want Rust to do." Why not focus on Rust if your team is small instead of spinning off other stuff, get Rust finished and then focus on those prototypes/ideas later?

Top Bottom